Hi, let's play d&d, it's gonna be WILD

>hi, let's play d&d, it's gonna be WILD
>everyone roll stats, 3d6 drop lowest

Would you play it?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Grog_of_Substantial_Whimsy_(3.5e_Equipment)
youtube.com/watch?v=6O-XEGAt0d0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes because it means we'd be underdogs and I can have a humble backstory for once.

So, all in favor of ignoring the shitty OP trying to get us angry about point buy vs Rolling for stats post something else.

Star rolling and see what you get: dandwiki.com/wiki/Grog_of_Substantial_Whimsy_(3.5e_Equipment)

Yeah, it'd be a nice change of pace. Tired of having one sperglord in a group complain because they got considerably average stats.

Only if we also roll down the line, roll for race, roll for class, roll for archetype, gold, starting equipment, starting location, and starting level.

Go WILD or go home.

That's how my current group normally does stats, though the DM has let us mulligan several times if we get really shafted (no one wants to play the PC with an average score of 8).

you're doing it right

in a heartbeat

>Only if we also roll down the line,
Where is the part where we start Roleplaying?

>Would you play it?

What, you mean... by the rules? Why wouldn't I?

>3d6 drop lowest
>average stat is ~8

yes, and?

What the FUCK was her problem?

>str 8
>dex 14
>con 9
>Int 20
>wis 15
>cha 18
Elf
Barbarian
Superstitious
30gp
Rapier
Worldwound

I feel a bit jipped the other guy is a monk with 18s in every slot

That's when we fill out the character's backstory, why they have the stats they do, and how they work around their weaknesses.

Dice don't exclude roleplay, that's a meme that I wish would just die already.

Sounds like a sign of the DM going for muh gritty realistic medieval fantasy.

Gonna pass, don't wanna fail my con save and die from an infection in the first session.

Rolled 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 1, 3, 1, 1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 1, 5, 1 = 55 (18d6)

STR 8
DEX 8
CON 9
INT 5
WIS 9
CHA 6

Not if shes DMing

Despair

Extreme emotional sadomasochism

Assuming you mistyped and meant to say 4d6 drop lowest; then yeah I'm game.

Rolled 637 (1d1000)

rollan

Japan's ability to psychology.

Depends on the editions.
1e and 2e sure I guess rolled stats are fine
3.5 and 4e do not work with rolled stats
I don't give/never gave a shit about 5e to really know if it works well there.

Stats won't matter if the DM doesn't throw things that require dice checks at you. The thing is, aside of combat encounters, the GM decides entirely arbitrarily when someone should roll dice.

I said 3d6 and meant it fucko, I'm the ULTIMATE DESPAIR

I need you in my game! I always nag others that humble backstories are the best.

I think it's more "I didn't want to roleplay this character, I wanted to roleplay MY character". Which is valid, not everyone wants to RP Joe McAverage, some people might want to play Joe Smartypants or Joe HUGERTON.

>Joe McAverage
How many times do you have to roll 4d6 drop lowest before you actually end up with 10 ± 2 across the board? I can understand wanting to roleplay a completely custom character, that's perfectly fine, but rolling for stats is fun too.

Rolled 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 6, 5, 1, 6, 5, 4, 3, 6, 6, 3, 4, 4, 5 = 87 (18d6)

Rolling for human sorc.

12, 12, 11, 9, 12, 9
Fuck you're lucky. I've done worse in 4d6 drop lowest.

>d&d
no

Rolled 3, 5, 3, 4, 6, 1, 1, 4, 1, 2, 1, 5, 5, 4, 3, 5, 2, 1, 6, 6, 6 = 74 (21d6)

str
dex
con
int
wis
cha
replacement

str 11
dex 11
con 18
int 8
wis 12
cha 8
>6 con got replaced with an 18
Well at least I wouldn't die this game

3d6 drop lowest means you roll 3d6, then you remove the lowest. So if for strength you rolled 1, 2, 2, you remove the 1 and now have 4 strength.

you misunderstand, its drop lowest, so your stats would be 8, 10, 5, 7, 9, 7, (12)

Without clear instructions from word of god OP I'm following RAW and choosing the interpretation that gives me the best outcome.
>This is how Veeky Forums operates
>You m@d?

Rolled 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 3, 5, 5, 3, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2 = 47 (18d6)

>inb4: 1,1,1

>3d6 drop lowest
>not 1d6 drop highest

>Roll triple ones. Roll race with -2 to the same stat. Have to play brain dead coma patient.
Fun.

Rolling for stats doesn't result in worse average stats than say, the standard array (the standard array is pretty mediocre by design), and due to the limitations in point buy you can't get much better that way either. It's technically possible that you'll end up with some mess with 3 8s, but it'd be very rare.

The only thing that changes is that you distribute your stats accordingly, or if rolling down the line, pick another class.

WRONG.
You roll your backstory.
Letter.
By.
Letter.

This is getting too dadaist even for me, and I have played my share of fishmalks.

Rolled 4, 3, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 1, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 4 = 59 (18d6)

I REGRET NOTHING

STR 9
DEX 10
CON 9
INT 8
WIS 4
CHA 6

Is there a "Redneck" class ?

Also, another issue with rolling is that people with bad enough luck like can get characters who literally wouldn't qualify for any class on 2e and under

Granted, some people are not aware ability score requirements used to be a thing and that the game wasn't designed for PCs with scores that incredibly shitty. You see a lot of people unironically saying that EVER rerolling means you're a munchkin who won't ever stop until his stats are perfect. The 2e PHB even recommends to ask your DM to raise your scores to the minimum required for the class you want, which is even more "cowardly" than rerolling

Sure, totally. I'm okay with playing a character that might be sub-par if everyone else will be, too. If anything, I hate how point-buy games always feature that one guy who stunts on everyone and makes the GM rebalance encounters because he dishes out damage like a motherfucker

This only happens when someone plays aspellcaster, and point buy doesn't affect how they plays out at all.

If someone shows up to my game with a Wizard, they're getting struck by lightning every round.

The resulting magic explosion from a Wizard dying kills the rest of the party. A few games of that and people learn REAL quick to stop being powergaming fucktards.

>I feel a bit jipped the other guy is a monk with 18s in every slot
I feel like you didn't drop the lowest.

>drop lowest
Casual. 3d6 drop highest.

yes

sounds brutal as fuck.

>your half-orc chef of death: Gordon Bleu-blood, attempts to bash the escaped lobster with his +1 ladle.
>unfortunately he's forgotten that lobsters have a high resistance to bludgeoning damage, and his attack bounces off of its hard exoskeleton
>the lobster retaliates with a full attack
>your arteries split under the pressure of his iron-like grip
>there will be no bisque for the orphans tonight

can I play a magic-user?

the only game i want to play with Junko is sex

upupu

Rolled 5, 5, 1, 2, 6, 3, 2, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1, 4, 6, 2, 5 = 60 (18d6)

>I'm following RAW and choosing the interpretation that gives me the best outcome.
You user, are my huckleberry.

>Would you play it?
Nah, but I'll play you.
Let's see...
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

>STR 10
>DEX 9
>CON 8
>INT 6
>WIS 7
>CHA 11

Elan the Bard?
Charming but dumbass swashbuckling hero.
Awesome.

See, if Lady Luck is on your side, even sadistic DMs like OP can get played.

Of course, she friggin' gave a blowjob.

>3D6 drop the lowest

Not for me.

I have had too many encounters with sperglords who try to turn disadvantages into advantages.

I've had to put up with the following:

>A Crippled Thief
>A Downs Syndrome Adventurer
>A Blind Archer
>A Deaf Barbarian
>A chronically ill fighter

Oh yes they sound interesting, then you try to use their disadvantages and all of a sudden your mecha-hitler. Sorry but disabilities are self-fucking explanatory - they aren't fucking perks. If your fucking deaf things are gunna sneak up on you, I don't give a shit how well you think your other senses become attuned. If your mentally retarded, you don't know the secrets of the fucking universe and people find you weird as fuck. Being unable to walk limits your ability to take part in a foot-chase scene.

Fuck that shit.

Sure, I do that even if it's a pointbuy 3.X game. I'm not gonna throw a fit just cause I'm playing a fighter with 13 strength, I'll make do, son.

youtube.com/watch?v=6O-XEGAt0d0

Rolled 3, 1, 1, 4, 5, 3, 1, 1, 1, 5, 6, 6, 1, 2, 3, 5, 2, 2 = 52 (18d6)

STR 5
DEX 12
CON 3
INT 17
WIS 6
CHA 9

I guess I'll be a cucumber wizard.

Rolled 309 (1d1000)

here we go

Rolled 2, 2, 1, 3, 4, 3, 4, 1, 6, 4, 5, 5, 5, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5 = 63 (18d6)

309 PC irrationally hates fungi. (stomps on them when they see them)

also rolling for character

STR: 5
DEX: 10
CON: 11
INT: 14
WIS: 11
CHA: 12

wizard/bard?

Show me potato salad!

Rolled 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6, 6, 6, 1, 2, 1, 3 = 64 (18d6)

Whoops, fucked up my roll.

Rolled 5, 8, 15, 16, 3, 14 = 61 (6d20)

>Not rolling 6d20 straight down

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 7
Int 11
Wis 12
Cha 5

Cleric of Peasants?

A nearly blind fatass wizard. He's surprisingly tough and surprisingly charismatic.

Read what the OP said.
You're doing 3d6 drop lowest, so a number between 2 and 12, most likely 8ish

>You're doing 3d6 drop lowest
Which is what the OP said

Rolled 1, 5, 2, 5, 1, 5, 1, 2, 3, 2, 5, 1, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6, 5 = 57 (18d6)

Let's try my hand

Sure, this'll be fun to play, amirite?

STR - 3
DEX - 4
CON - 3
INT - 2
WIS - 3
CHA - 3

One Thief in a coma, coming up.

Str 7
Dex 10
Con 5
Int 7
Wis 7
Cha 11

So I'm going to play a weak, sickly, dumb, ignorant peasant with reasonable flexibility and marginally above average charm/looks

In other words, this character never bothers going to adventure because he's busy plowing dirt farmers who can't get any better anyways

Why would I bother playing in a game where there exists a pretty much 0% probabilty of me being more remarkable than the average peasant?

Christ, I read "drop highest" elsewhere in thread and it bled into my head.

Same pic, obviously.

STR - 5
DEX - 6
CON - 4
INT - 3
WIS - 8
CHA - 3

With a Wis 8 and Cha 3, I guess I'll play a priest of Gunner Jurgen, then.

Rolled 4, 6, 5, 3, 2, 5, 5, 5, 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 2, 6, 1, 4, 1 = 64 (18d6)

Re-rolling until I get someone who can ACTUALLY FUNCTION as a PC

Str 11
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 9
Wis 9
Cha 5

I can be a pretty good fighter with this I suppose, assuming 2e

why not, you can just roll up a new sucker and have that one suffer the same fate.

Rolled 5, 3, 3, 1, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3, 2, 3, 5, 3, 6, 5, 4, 6, 1 = 63 (18d6)

In this case this is an adventure of people trying to overcome their often overwhelming handicaps, with the rare above-average ones.

Str 8
Dex 8
Con 7
Int 8
Wis 11
Cha 10

A preacher cleric, or something of the like.

Rolled 3, 2, 5, 4, 5, 5, 3, 2, 5, 1, 5, 6, 5, 3, 4, 4, 6, 2 = 70 (18d6)

God, it's been so long since I've played anything, let's do it.

I'm already nostalgic for my first character. He was a thief with 4hp.

Str 8
Dex 9
Con 8
Int 7
Wis 9
Cha 10

Uh... this is pretty damn bad, actually. I'm not feeling that nostalgic anymore.

If you have a miserable time and keep getting the party killed because you can't stop being a powergaming autist, go for it.

Rolled 3, 2, 4, 4, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4, 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2, 3 = 59 (18d6)

STR - 7
DEX - 6
CON - 8
INT - 6
WIS - 10
CHA - 8

Lv1 Commoner reporting in, I'm cooking for everyone as long as someone else goes hunting.