I want to resolve a large scale battle in a TTRPG in the same way that regular combat works. Any ideas?

I want to resolve a large scale battle in a TTRPG in the same way that regular combat works. Any ideas?
Such as: Treating squads of soldiers as one unit, etc

Fucking hell I made this image like fucking ten actual goddamn years ago.

Focus on small scale engagements with your PCs as a microcosm of the larger battle.

Pick a few key moments to make into personal scale combat encounters- The moment when your standard was about to fall, a chance encounter with enemy elites, a chance to directly assault an enemy leader- and make the result of those moments echo the broader battle. It's a quick and relatively simple way to let the PCs have a direct impact and feel like they matter even if events around them are larger scale. You can also use the ongoing battle as terrain or environmental effects to complicate things, as well as attrition, not letting them fully heal or rest between fights.

>Any ideas?
get large whiteboard and take couple days off

Might as well use a proper wargame at that point. Take a look at Song of Blades and Heroes

>Reason-->Kick-->Curb

kek

I can see at least 5 more Gainax references in that image

>Daikon 51
>His & Her Circumstances
>FCFL
>Princess Maker
>Was Mohoromatic Gainax?

Then there's required Hitchhikers Guide and Monty Python references.

Use one soldier to represent 1000.

>ZOMG TEH
>TTGL references
>Ten billion hours in MSpaint

It shows, it really does.
I fucking miss 2007
Hold me
Longcat, pls come back, I miss you

Transplant the Reign company rules to your system of choice. They are modular as fuck so you don't get any real issues using them with a different system, Stolze even wrote an adventure using just them alone as an example.

Longcat's so old he's probably dead by now.

Whoa, holy shit, Tallcat. Blast from the past.

He is dead.

You spelled believe wrong. Twice.

>Not noticing Gunbuster

Two years after doing that image I did Zeonquest. You think typos here are bad? You should see some of the fucking howlers I had there.

Please elaborate.

This is how I'd run it - the roleplaying game is still about the characters, and so you focus on their exploits primarily. I've had campaigns where the GM has tried to run big battle scenes by busting out wargame rules, and it can be fun, but it has a tendency to devolve into pushing things around. There's some great opportunities available for roleplaying if you keep it focused at the character level that can easily get lost when you're turning it into a glorified wargame.

>the owner got darker while the cat got whiter
Explain how.

d&d5e just got some rules for this stuff, it's called Ass Combat, check it out

The two pictures had different levels of contrast.

You already know which forces are stronger. So just approximate the power of both sides, who has better terrain, and then add rolls to approximate the chaos of battle and chance, and add another modifier if there are tactics, spells or other temporary modifiers that change the tide of battle.

Example. Army A is 100 strong well armored knights and 2000 mostly useless peasants. Army B is 1000 skilled mercenaries with both ranged and melee weapons and better tactics overall.

Count army A as 6 base and add a d6 (for their complete lack of tactics), and Army B as 4 base and add a d12 (for their improved tactics, an 11 or 12 means a knight dies too).

Roll a die every round or 10 seconds of combat or whatever to count the dead or incapacitated.

So 6+3 = 9 mercs dead
vs 4+12 = 16 peasants & 1 knight dead

Give three free rolls for the mercs to represent them firing their ranged weapons before the enemy closes on them. Viola. You've done it. Predetermine ahead of time how many casualties before each side breaks.

Play Savage Worlds.
Done. Ez. Next.

Cats can live like 20 years, man.

DELETE THIS

In 4E there is a paragraph about this which suggests using one unit whose hit points represent a battalion and to remove some of the skills that wouldn't make sense in mass combat.

If you run 5e use the first unearthed arcana for mass combat. Fuck the second one.

20 units treated as one, 1 round is a minute, players get to command units and get into melee. Haven't run it yet but it seems fairly tight.

Legend of the 5 Rings, First Edition. It has a battle system like describes, where the focus is on what the PCs do. You can choose to stand at the back of the fighting and be a safe bitch, or go into the front ranks, challenge the enemy's champion to honourabu combat and win glory (or die horribly).

I don't know of any games that handle treating mass combat and individual combat as the exact same thing, because there's a lot more fun RP stuff you can do as individuals than as big blocks of troops, which require rules for movement, facing, morale, etc..