What's this guy's race? He's like a giant, horned, lion-wolf-bear Frenchperson

What's this guy's race? He's like a giant, horned, lion-wolf-bear Frenchperson...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide
youtube.com/watch?v=syYCO0QVkZo
penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/02/28/beauty-and-another-kind-of-beauty
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he's a beast.

Clearly a Charr

>Frenchperson
Monstrous humanoid, then?

Beasts look human, user.

He's a human with a curse

He's stuck in permanent werelion mixed form

Isn't he like that because of a curse or something? So his race is human, but he's got some kind of funky template on top of that like a werewolf does.

In terms of physical build probably something close to a minotaur. In terms of thematically closest probably werewolf that doesn't really operate on moon rules but rather a different curse

Human.

Clearly a variant of Beastman, which makes me wonder how a Warhammer Fantasy version of Beauty and the Beast would go.

First edition Bretonnia, back when they were all about powdered wigs and rouge?

Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

It's actually interesting just how much UNLIKE a Beast in the Chronicles of Darkness sense Beast from the film is. Which is some tough shit to ponder, given that Gaston might've been THE main inspiration for the Heroes and arguably the whole game concept.

Beast is just such a fucking tone death and stupid splat I don't know what they were thinking

Like all the other wod creatures are aweful, but beast seems the awfulest because of the sanctimony.

Like it's the world that wronged the beast somehow and they have a right to be fucking monsters and the heroes are automatically shit heads.

If it was an ironic metaphor for how monsters view themselves and heroes that would be one thing but beast seems to be pure sociopath revenge fantasy plus new age entitlement rolled into one while paying the barest lipservice to the fact the protagonists are fucking parasites

At least Vampire can make me synpathize with the fucking vanpires.

I believe he was modeled to look like a lion, wolf, and buffalo put together

Beast is a big pile of steaming shit.

One design change I do approve of in the more recent film is making the horns a lot curlier. Gives him a more pagan/Satanic/faun-ish look then a minotaur.

Werecreature, basically

Yes, but which creature?

It's a curse. It doesn't embody any one kind of creature.

He is a Charr

He's a Human Under A Curse.

>blue eyes

So he's White

>French

He's a frog suffering from a curse effect. No need to overthink it.

No, he's not French. He doesn't start and/or join a war even once during the movie.

This

The French are characterized by a unstoppable need to fuck or kill

Transformed Human

Honestly boost the Intelligence to 10 and give him a level in Aristocrat and this is actually a good representation.

Not killing, subjugate.

Then fuck.

Human turned into a bugbear.

For the uninitiated
THe title is Colonies
the first panel is showing how germans colonize
the second shows the english
the bottom left shows the french
and the bottom right shows the belgians.

This seems accurate to me.

His race is human, but he just happens to have a unique curse.

Yeah a guy asked for the beast's stats a good long while ago and the owlbear stats were brought up and pretty much much decided to be a fair assessment of him.

Y'know, a race of monstrous but good natured... whatever you call this with a penchant for creating a magical items and a culture based on 17th century French based on Beauty & the Beast would be an interesting addition to a bog standard elves & dwarfs setting.

I'm pretty sure I remember a kid show where one of the character is a... beast I guess.
Can't remember the name for now though.

Turns out the Belgians were right all along.

God damnit, I'm not usually one to get salty about this kind of thing but for fuck sake
>Muh beauty standards!
>Actually guys think it's hot
>How dare they?! Freaks!
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooou.

well, at least there's a face attached to it, unlike those idiotic facebook post

In the Warhammer Fantasy Role-play Old World Bestiary they have a few quotes from and/or about each entry (it's a really cool way to present the way that the PCs would react to these things). One of the quotes from the beast men is from a schoolmaster who was mutated and driven out of his town when it was discovered. He was very eloquent and intelligent but bitter towards the Empire (the other quote was some barely intelligible grunts about being the strongest and smashing). So an aristocratic eastman could definitely be made to work, he would probably have to stay inside his castle in order keep the villagers from finding out about his mutation (but rumors would eventually get out).

The servants would probably have to be kept chained up so they could never leave and confirm the rumors. They wouldn't be animated teapots and furniture.

My nigga.

I thought exactly this.

Human.

I don't exactly get what the Brits are doing. Are they wringing money out of the choco? Like, the Brits were good at making money off their colonial ventures? What are they pouring in his mouth?

And the German panel is another "Germans are super fucking organized" crack, right?

Belle marrying the Beast was good for her if only because he was wealthy. If a male peasant had the opportunity to marry a rich but ugly woman in pre-revolutionary France he would probably jump at the opportunity.

The Brits are pouring whisky down his throat. A lot of British imperialism involved selling stuff to the colonized people because it's easier to take their gold with a few hundred pairs of shirts than a few hundred troops.

And you'll notice that there is one particular creature that is missing from the German panel. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide While the Belgians were crueler than the Germans, they weren't planning on wiping out the Africans at all.

>And the German panel is another "Germans are super fucking organized" crack, right?

Yes. The young German Empire tried its best to integrate all the new German states by categorizing and standardizing processes.

Aww, look at this adorable little gerry, he really thinks he has colonies!

People having monster girl and furry fetishes kind of negate the moral of the story. The beast is meant to be ugly, you're not meant to find him hot.
He's not a hot monster boy, or at least he's not meant to be, so hot monster girls are not an equivalent. So that second tweet is nonsensical and in no way a counter argument. Not that I agree with the first tweet, just pointing out that monster girls are irrelevant to what's actually being discussed.

He's a tiefling . That's just what tieflings look like if they don't shave.

Well, in that case Disney fucked up from start. Many people think the beast form looks cooler

Have you SEEN how many people want to fuck the beast? Cartoon or CGI version

I don't remember where it is (I think it's one of the Neil Gaiman anthologies?) but there's a "version" of the story where the Beauty leaves the Beast in disappointment after he becomes human because she was more attached to the Beast's primal virility and savagery (it's also implied he was better in the sack/had a bigger dick).

Yeah, the first poster is an idiot.

Beauty and the Beast IS bad, but it's because it enforces the idea of commiting to an abusive relationship. If they lock you away from your parents and Friends, and just want you to fix some problem they have emotionally or otherwise and try to make it better with physical objects, just commit to it, it'll be better! Which men do all the time. I think women do it more often because it's easier (though the gap is closing) for men to be independent, but the tweet in question just doesn't say anything and completely missed the point.

Like when people call Romeo and Juliet a love story.

>it's because it enforces the idea of commiting to an abusive relationship
Despite the moral of the story was the beast still had at his core a good heart, but needed someone who could see past his form, and what he believed himself to be, to show him it?
I see people who say this, but it seems that to believe it means you must be ignorant of what self-loathing can do to a person. When you believe yourself to be a monster beyond something so simple as love, you will become that.
From a psychological pov, the story is basically a man with ptsd, self-loathing and body dismorphia going thru therapy, with the rare happy ending you normally don't find.

>Frenchperson

That's why I said "or at least he's not meant to be."
The beast is meant to be ugly, it's meant to be a story about a pretty girl learning to love an ugly boy. That first tweet is saying that a story about a pretty boy learning to love an ugly girl wouldn't get made. Saying "some people have a fetish for ugly girls" is not a counter argument, it doesn't actually address what's being said at all.
The moral of beauty and the beast doesn't work if you have a beast fetish but that's got nothing to do with gender or sexism, which is what that first tweet is about.

Oh shut up. BATB is great, and it is in no way about abusive relationships or Stockholm syndrome or any bullshit like that.
Here is a video explaining why you are wrong, because I can't be bothered typing it out:
youtube.com/watch?v=syYCO0QVkZo

I hang out on /m/ too much, the phrase "He is a Char" means something totally different to me and made me chuckle.

CAN CONFIRM, WOULD FUCK BEASTGIRLS.

>I see people who say this, but it seems that to believe it means you must be ignorant of what self-loathing can do to a person. When you believe yourself to be a monster beyond something so simple as love, you will become that.

If you're in that state, you need a fucking therapist, not a girlfriend.

>That woman's face
I can already tell she's just going to shake her tits at me and start screaming about how I'm stare-raping her.

Yes I judge based on appearance.

Also, it occurs to me that Shrek sort of is a reverse gender BATB. Sort of. Well, not really. It's still a pretty girl falling for an ugly guy, but the ending sort of counteracts that. It actually takes the moral further by having everyone stay ugly, since the beast turning back into a hottie is arguably a low key contradiction of the moral.

Good thing Belle WAS his therapist, and not his girlfriend for the vast majority of their time together.
Also, you need not see a licensed therapist, positive socializing can go a long way.

Well, you appear to an idiot.

Holy shit that video is stupid.

as says, Belle isn't his girlfriend. He spends the whole film in the friend zone until the very end. Or beast zone, if you will excuse me stealing a joke from this video, which you really should watch.

Thank you for that nuanced and enlightening critique. Truly, you have dazzled us all with your staggering insights.

The monstergirl argument, while funny, is also pretty stupid since monstergirls are almost without exception very much drawn with the purpose of being cute, beautiful and/or sexy. The animal features either don't get in the way or actually serve to highlight it. How many people who fetishize, say, Centorea from MMNIN would still do if instead of a big boobed supermodel she had the body and face of pic related? And that's not even meme tier ugly girl, just an unattractive one. You don't do yourself many favors claiming to not be shallow because you'd take a buxom model-like sex fiend "EVEN if she had cat ears!" (especially if they're animated and you don't need to give much thought to how ugly actual, hairy cat ears would look on a real life human. But I seriously digress).

Same reason Beastly was such a travesty. Penny Arcade put it best: penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/02/28/beauty-and-another-kind-of-beauty

I mean, sure. Okay.

So

The lady doing the summary takes the entire film at face value. Her entire assumption is 'the author intended this, therefor the author is infallible and this is what was portrayed'. This is an absurd stance to take at base value.

Second, the father isn't under threat in the Disney version? Which fucking movie did SHE watch? The beast is twelve feet of roaring muscle, teeth and claws, of COURSE she's terrified for her father's life. She doesn't just casually go 'well, I guess maybe I'll stay in the castle now'. I'd also point out that the reviewer supplies absolutely no alternative reason for her staying other than 'cause'. The entire point about the 'agreement' is completely out of the window, because the agreement is absolutely made under duress and/or is coerced.

Basically, the reviewer completely ignores the fact that the Beast is LITERALLY an enormous, terrifying monster, and at every instance assumes that the fact that he could, in a fit of rage, literally tear Belle in half without even really trying is completely irrelevant. There's more to be said against the video, but it mostly boils down to this: the maker of the video quietly ignores the fact the Beast is a legitimately terrifying monster and completely truncates that fact from her argument. Once you remove that, it removes any threat or danger the Beast possesses, so of course at that point it becomes a sweet story about growth and forgiveness.

>for the vast majority of their time together.
Yeah, the vast majority of the two, maybe THREE whole days they took to go from "I'mma lock you in the tower without food in return for releasing your father, whom I hold hostage" to "let's get married!"

It's worth noting, as a post script, that calling Belle's whole deal 'stockholm syndrome' is facile and inaccurate as well; it's genuinely just a garden variety abusive relationship that replaces years of misery with a fairy tale ending.

>the maker of the video quietly ignores the fact the Beast is a legitimately terrifying monster
That's a point that bothered me about the film. We're supposed to be outraged at how vile and vicious Gaston is for firing up an angry mob in front of Belle's protests with the claim that the Beast put her under a spell - but, I mean, from the point of view of an illiterate 17th century French peasant? That's not even remotely unlikely. If a monster kidnapped some girl who's known for being a weirdo and two days later she comes running down the hill telling you he's actually a good guy, please don't hurt him, you bet your always you're going to assume witchcraft rather than she fell in love with his gentle soul in that time.

Actually, beginning to think "Oh, this poor guy, he's only kidnapped me because X, Y, and Z have made his life such hell, it's not really his fault and he's probably a good man inside" is like the textbook example of Stockholm syndrome.

Gaston's a dick for a LOT of reasons other than wanting to kill the Beast; in fact, his wanting to murder the Beast is one of the less assholeish things he does in the film. I mean, he objectively just is an asshole. Rousing a posse to go kill the Beast, though, is a perfectly rational response, especially on the part of the townsfolk. I seem to vaguely recall that Gaston knew more than he was letting on, there, because he had the mirror, but it's been a while since I saw the movie.

I know, I was specifically referring to how he dismissed her claims that the Beast is actually good by saying he bewitched her. To the modern worldview this is ludicrous, but if you're the kind of guy who accepts that a monster living in the nearby magical castle is a credible threat, why does it make any less sense to assume it could've bewitched a girl?

Right, but that doesn't actually happen. Remember, she doesn't know about his curse until way later. It's literally just 'well I dunno maybe he's not such a dick, I guess'.

It's also worth noting that the movie itself forgets that the beast is a massive, terrifying monster rather frequently, if not for the entire latter half of the film, even WHILE the Beast is leveraging his monstrous nature.

The point being made isn't that 'Belle was written as this character who had stockholm syndrome, and the movie is secretly about abusive relationships', it's 'the authors didn't think very hard about the plot and probably never meant to romanticize what is fundamentally a coerced, codependent shitshow'.

I am reasonably certain you are agreeing with me.

He's a bugbear in a castle full of dudes transformed into Animated Objects.

I would a Fem!Beast. Would she have to turn back, though?

>If a male peasant had the opportunity to marry a rich but ugly woman in pre-revolutionary France he would probably jump at the opportunity
Case in point: Napoleon. After becoming Consul/Emperor he was clearly the more powerful one in his relationship with Josephine (who was older than him and possibly infertile by the way), but when he was still but a young brigadier-general from a family nobody even cared about in the armpit of France, he greatly benefited from his relationship with a well-connected noblewoman. He also wrote really fucked up love letters to his wife, one of which started with "you're a disloyal whore and I hate you" but ended with "I can't wait to get back home and crush you between my arms". He also stated at some point that he loved Josephine but never respected her. Yet despite that, both of them mentioned the other in their dying words.

>This is super weird
There is no pleasing women, is there? This is why you're better off not listening to them at all.

It's clearly implied to be longer than that. Looking at the variation in seasons I guess about a year.

And ass of a barboon?

>We're supposed to be outraged at how vile and vicious Gaston is for firing up an angry mob
Having seen how willing Gaston is to use events to his own ends (i.e. locking Belle's father up in a clearly hideous insane asylum as leverage to enforce marriage) it's clear to the audience by context he's going to ramrod his goals into things regardless of the real "right answer."

Ass of a horse, too. He's marvelously toned.

Yeah; the villager's response makes perfect sense, but Gaston is still a complete piece of shit.

wew

some strange sub species of Rakshasa

Weird as it may seem, the couples I know who most support each other are also the ones who are rudest to each other.
And I've met a shitload of distressed couples since I work in hospitality.

He has like, no trait whatsoever in common with rakshasas. Like, not even weird tigermen D&D rakshasas. What are you smoking?

That shits true love right there

>giant, horned, lion-wolf-bear Frenchperson...
A homosexual?

Yes, but where creature?

Honestly, everyone in Beauty and the Beast is an asshole, especially the enchantress.
>roams the lands pretending to be an old woman so she can get free bed and breakfast by mooching off gullible princes
>when someone sees through her shit and tells her to fuck off, she curses them AND everyone who works for them, potentially forever unless some arbitrary and unlikely conditions are met

The funniest part is how Sleeping Beauty tells you not to talk to old crones, while BatB tells you you'll be damned if you don't let them squat in your home.

Ahahah classic.
More accurately Charrs are him.

And if he wore a mask he'd be a a Char. And Charrs would be Beasts that were Chars.

Booze, was sold to a lot of natives, especially in the Americas.

I mean, they tried briefly.

Interesting, not quite a standard pig face with the hook in it that's semi trunk-like. I like it. Reminds me of the quasi-pig-quasi-tapir-quasi-elephant face Nintendo went with for the BotW moblins.

My grandmother once restrained my Grandfather from interrupting one of his parent's arguments and reminded him "That;s how they have fun." That was their ENTERTAINMENT, they couldn't turn on the boobtube and watch some sitcom or soap opera! They made their OWN drama!

NEET

Isn't the whole point of BatB that Belle pushes Beast towards NOT being a colossal asshole, and it's only once he shapes up that she starts caring for him? You know, fucking character arcs and shit.

big fuzzy troll