"We actually had Desert in early design files but it proved to be a little too powerful to bring back."

"We actually had Desert in early design files but it proved to be a little too powerful to bring back."
-Mark Rosewater

Mark Rosewater makes me ashamed to be Jewish

I think most players would be too dumb to realize that you can't just ping creatures with with wily nilly and can only hit them after they've dealt damage.

>came back in TSP
>when creatures were much weaker on average than they are now
Okay.

>powerful
This is code for "complex."

I'm just mad that they made a land subtype that

A. Has the same name as an existing card
B. Is not a basic type

Desert has always had the Desert land type tho.

Desert makes Timmy's x/1 creatures useless though! How are you supposed to have magic: the tappening if your opponent can just kill your sideways creatures with lands?

By using camels or 2/2 tokens! Git Gud!

Yeah, so, Desert has had that type since at least Time Spiral's reprint. You'll just have to deal with that one.

>have 2 deserts in play
>gg

>spend 2 mana a turn to do 2 damage AFTER an attacking monster hit you.

You're either trolling or a boltfag

This is the future we chose

CAMELS, MOTHERFUCKER

Desert confirmed too strong for standard.

Bruins are getting outplayed left and right.

>Wizards didn't want a land that can repeatedly ping for free in a format with Servos and Thopters

HMMM

C A M E L S

A

M

E

L

S

>but infinite cat tokens are fine

Some day, you faggots will stop buying their products.

Yep. Would be nice against the annoying thopter and servos.

Also the thopters and servos would utilize the Desert to trade with X/2 enemy creatures.

(T) Deal 1 damage to any creature that has dealt combat damage this turn

>I thought we finally had an answer to all this thopters and servos
I don't know how the fuck my gideons/hearts/cats/2 toughness creatures are going to be able to fucking compete now

>meddling mage on camels
>G G

Standard is a format for mongoloid and children but you'd look pretty fly playing Arabian deserts in it.

seems pretty good in limited

With the errata, it doesn't even need to have actually connected, it just needs to be attacking. Not often relevant, but there are situations where it matters.

>Meddling Kids on This
>This is the first word on the text of Meddling Mage
>G G

Technically, it's what Development told him. He doesn't mess with power level at all
Development is what keeps fucking everything up.
It was also later clarified as being 'it shouldn't be reprinted' rather than just outright too powerful

"We fixed your Desert for you. Enjoy!"
-WotC

"a worse quicksand"
and it's uncommon

>rad art
>utter shit card
still an improvement over normal wotc.shit nowadays

A desert that is absolutely forbidden from affecting attacking creatures?
Disgraceful.

>only as a sorcery

Holy shit, what is wrong with wizards. Why are they so fucking afraid of letting things happen at instant speed.

I feel like if they could, they would just remove the ability to do things on your opponent's turn from magic.

Like hearthstone?

Wouldn't surprise me, it is clear how butthurt wotc is over the fact that hearthstone is more popular and more profitable than any magic online cardgame by several orders of magnitude.

Dark times indeed.

>both only at sorc speed

Fucking Wizards really? Would a -1/-1 counter at instant speed just make Timmy's brain explode during a pre-release? What the fuck

>I feel like if they could, they would just remove the ability to do things on your opponent's turn from magic.

You mean people would only be allowed to play Green and White sideways creatures and walker decks? That sounds like exactly what WotC is pushing right now...

WELL MAYBE IF THEY ACTUALLY TRIED THEY COULD HAVE KILLED HEARTHSTONE IN IT'S INFANCY

>NO INSTANTS
>NO REMOVAL
>PLANESWALKERS AND CREATURES ONLY
>FINAL DESTINATION

they decided to let Jesus cure their cancer

So this is a thing...

Guess i gotta fucking put cryptolyth rite back in my omnath deck....

So far I'm not impressed with the deserts. A quicksand and a three mana pseudo-manland?

Heres hoping in Hour of Devastation we get a new colorless basic land that has the typing of "Desert" and that there is a bunch of Desert-matters cards.

This whole set is looking to be pretty shit. The only thing that got me genuinely hyped was that fake 20/20 wurm and even then only for the novelty of it existing.

I wish that wurm was real man.

This set was full of let downs for me

>Aftermath AKA sort of flashback
>all the cards with Aftermath are fucking terrible

>God cards might be kinda unique and interesting to play with
>they all have boring effects and feel like slightly edited uncommons

>more Gatewatch faggotry

>the Invocations look like an April Fool's day prank

>removal still sucks. Magic the tappening standard still enforced

There was potential somewhere in the set

I know man, I know. It made my inner timmy cry out in joy. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning when I saw it.

You forgot
>fucked up reprinting anger of the gods for 3 mana cycling

oy vey

But user you can cycle it! Who needs exile?

My personal favorite sleeper hit from this set is the 2 cmc force spike. I mean jeez it's a counterspell and you can cycle it? Thank goodness they made that monster of a card uncommon.

Considering that early cards that made someone discard cards from their hand had a line saying "if player does not have X cards in their hand, they discard their entire hand", yeah.
Apparently, without that line players would seize up, just sitting there not knowing what to do.

It's code for "shouldn't be printed in Standard", which can be because it is too complex. In Desert's case it's partly due to adding board complexity and mostly due to causing undesirable gameplay.

Heres a design question for you guys:

What rarity should Desert be printed at?

Well judging by the power level of the deserts they been putting on parade in Amonkhet... Mythic Rare.

Uncommon

>What rarity should Desert be printed at?
Common
In a set with fetchlands at uncommon, dual lands at rare and no mythics
Let's reprint every crossformat staples downshifted in rarity by one, including Karn, JTMS, Griselbrand, Tarmogoyf, Liliana of the Veil, Divining Top, Goblin Guide, Force of Will, Mox Opal, Arcbound Ravager, whatever great card you think of

>But it would kill Standard/Limited/Modern/Magic as a whole!!!
Whatever, it's already dying, let it go with a bang