>But the moment is now yours
>You stride forth ready to claim your price
>A spot in the Holy God Pharaohs afterlive
>The spear is hoisted
>Yes... this is it
>You close your eyes to savor this moment of bliss
>Some random faggot and his buddy cockblock you

Gideon tribal is going to be a t1 deck for sure

>Set is literally about white people coming to a plane of brown people and shitting on their traditions and way of life
>People will still accuse WotC of being SJW shills

if the gatewatch doesn't get their shit pushed in, ideally by the planes inhabitants, I'll be pretty fucking disappointed.
also Gideon has long since morphed into some pseudo unidentified arab race.

B-but there are black people

isn't that the meta definition?

these people had "internalized" the racist, badthink, that Bolas imposed on them and as such they need to be "awakened" to the real situation

Who else is going to farm the cotton for the Plantation Watch?

>Now I have to get a REAL job?

why the fuck does that cost 4 mana when it only names one card? This isnt even draft fodder its just bad.

Am I fucking crazy or is Wizards just reprinting the exact same cards with slightly different mana costs and effects

I swear there's a white 'opponents can't cast spells of the chosen name' card in every set

Gideon is Greek, and Greeks are white!

its so you can't hit either gideon with it

meddling mage is apparently too good for standard

>yfw this time they akully wuz kangz

It's Nevermore with pseudo-Runed Halo stapled on. Why the fuck do you think it would cost less? I mean, it'd be good at 3, but it might be too strong at that point.

>Am I fucking crazy or is Wizards just reprinting the exact same cards with slightly different mana costs and effects

Limited design space, user.

There are only so many variations. it's why RoboRosewater works.

All of this has happened before, and will happen again, with a moderate increase in power each time to sell sets.

>with a moderate increase in power

laughingdevelopement.mtg

Nevermore is not especially good, neither is runed halo.

You don't want to know what an immoderate increase in power looks like.

Whoosh.

>moderate increase in power each time to sell sets.
>literally cant even have elvish mystic in standard because it's 'format warping'
The fuck are you talking about nigga. We were excited when they reprinted SHOCK last set.

>Hey assholes your way of life is stupid and we're here to fuck everything up
Is WotC really doing the same story two blocks in a row

But he's also african and 30-50.
At the same time. It just works.

It IS format warping.
When they've taken out the good stuff from all the other colors, especially at low mana costs, the one mana mana dork reigns supreme and becomes the Correct Choice.
Wait, fix the problem by giving the other colors good stuff at that cost?
Don't be silly, just drop the mana dork.

it also seems they're pushing a "strong independent women who are minorities are the heart of the hardline resistance" angle too.
And at least with robot india they made things feel fresh and interesting in how it looks.
I'll say the architecture in this block is fantastic, but seeing straight up real world sarcophagus's and the like really shatters the mood.

>user has never windmill-slammed runed halo naming borborygmos enraged against grishoalbrand.

It's actually kind of comical how inept the Jacestice League is

Like it's supposed to be this awe-inspiring stories about wizards going between worlds but instead it's a band of faggots that pop into a world, kick some stuff over, shit on the floor and poof to a new world to start all over again

Like really we JUST DID THIS on Kaladesh

it's actually justified though since this whole plane is just an elaborate planeswalker factory to produce minions for Bolas.

watch.
the second set he'll show up with his own 5 power rangers/ pillarmen to legitimize him to his people and as a show of strength to kick out the jactice league to the cheers of the people and remind them there are stakes.

>The Bolas Legion of Doom

It's so bad it has to happen

That and Gatewatch: Civil War

If they live a cushy life in their city where all of their enemies are kept out by a magic barrier, why would someone need to learn to brew poisons?

Because it's an ancient, honored position decreed as such by the God-Pharaoh.
And in case a sandwurm gets inside I guess. Or one of Rhonas's pets breaks out and he can't be assed to take care of it.
Maybe Bontu decided to offload the job of making the horrible poisons for his trial onto someone else so he could play more Zombie Kickball.
Or perhaps they're used by trialgoers against the various things they face in the trials

If we remove them we can push other things instead, like four-drops, user. Everyone loved Siege Rhino, but we had to restrain ourselves and not make it as awesome as we wanted to die to Elvish Mystic being in Standard at the time. Now that we don't have to worry about turn 3 Rhinos anymore, since the cheapest mana dorks costs 2, we can finally print the cards that we always wanted Siege Rhino to be.

When they are good they win you the game

Because as long as there's two people left alive, someone's going to want someone dead.

All that said, the gatewatch should be being booted and attacked at every opportunity. The culture is built by and around Bolas. They question his leadership (their deity and protection) and insist he's evil despite clear evidence to the contrary with the barrier that protects them from a VERY shitty outside world that anyone foolish or brave enough to venture out can see while giving them a life of luxury and competition with a built in sense of duty and self improvement.
Aside from the death as the ultimate reward thing, top shelf society all around. Especially for magic lore.

RoboRosewater knocks it out of the park sometimes.

Other times...

There isn't just one Gideon. There's Gideon and his many stunt doubles. So many, that no one even knows which is the real Gideon.
It's why he looks different in every card.

I don't see the problem here, that's perfect design.

But no one uses that you cock

God no please

Whoosh.

>Gideon goes by the DOOMbot rule
but that would actually make one of the gatewatch characters kind of interesting

Bu-buh!!! He baaaad!!! Lik drumpfyyyy!!! Bolas mean bad!!!! HE MEAN BAD TO VIBRANT POPO PEOPLE!!!! das mean gatewatch gun def him!!!

t. Lore writer

Honestly, Amonkhet sounds like the best plane to live in since M:tG got created.

Which means that, obviously, it's going to be entirely about farming people for a nefarious plan that's conveniently going online right as the Gatewatch arrives, so they can save the day and be heroes despite coming there for all the wrong reasons and having no ideas about what they are doing.

M:tG should send their scriptwrites to Hollywood.

Are you ok user? Do you need help?

>pillarmen

No user, you need to wait for the aztec plane for that.

Even death as a reward serves as a bit of population control for a society that doesn't seem likely to expand its territory.

My only hope is that during the Return to Tarkir event the Gatewatch are still overthrowing whatever government is native to the plane.
I'm pretty sure they'd be at their most popular if they decided to return the Khans/Shards and punch dragon lords.

>JUST DID THIS on Kaladesh
I'm still not even sure what's going to happen there. I mean the Consulate wasn't evil and didn't need to be overthrown, they just set some ground rules and the autists of the plane couldn't handle it and rebelled.

Actually fighting Bolas might be neat. The big problem I'm seeing is that the story is rehashed twice each time. BfZ and SOI were both fighting Eldrazi invasions and Kaladesh and Amonkhet are both fighting oppressive establishments.
They need to give us a bit more variety and maybe some more world building.

It could have been decent if they didnt portray the Aether Revolt as good vs bad. Hell, I wouldn't even have minded if they 100% ripped off MCU and did a Jacetice League Civil War. Have Gideon taking the side of the Consolate and Chandra the side of the rebels.

I'm also beginning to hate the Gatewatch because we never get a proper introduction to the Plane.
Like we never get to see what the plane is like, just what they're up to and the problem they inevitably discover.

Am I alone in this feeling?

THIS
H
I
S

I'm not even against the concept of the Gatewatch, but having all five of them around makes it near impossible to get a proper sense of a new plane's culture and world. They desperately need to cut it down to 2-3 members per set so we can have time to properly cover the native folk.

Even though I much prefer the new 2 sets per block, I feel like 3 sets would help the story out.
>Set 1: introduce the plane
>Set 2: Shit goes down on the plane
>Set 3: Gatewatch shows up to set things right
Then you'd have all the Gatewatch nonsense contained to the end so it might actually be enjoyable to watch them show up and kick ass.

I'm just thinking that any form of government the Rebels put together will either collapse under it's own uselessness or turn into the Consulate again.
Otherwise it's like putting the Izzet in charge and that's just awful.

3 blocks work with story telling 101 structure
>Presentation
>Plot
>Ending

He's just chandra's writer.

You know the picture means something right?
The more advanced the computer in the image box the more advanced neural network created the card. That why modern supercomputer cards could be real and the old timey ones are "what did I just read"

Don't think about the future, user, actions of planeswalkers have no negativr consequences in Magic. Instead focus on all the totally cool and sweet things your favorite member of the gatewatch is doing THIS block!

The problem is wizards r&d is so shit they can't make a coherent 3 set block with the shallow garbage mechanics they've been shitting out so they altered the set pattern to hide their weakness

Roborosewater frightens me sometimes.

Honestly this would help with the a lot of the smaller City Only planes like Kaladesh by digging deeper into the outer cities like Peema, Lanthu and so on.
Even showcase off some of the culture of the main city! Ghirapur is huge and we never got to see some of the neat areas like Freejam and Weldfast.

You know the formatting is bad like most times. But land God's sound like a novel idea. I have no idea how you'd Balance it though

Bolas is also black though.

>indestructible land gods with static effects and no mana ability
Unf

>take the uncounterable, hardest to interact kind of permanent and give it indestructible
Fucking madman

They couldn't even get that right with 3 sets per block

See, that would require R&D to be competent so that's not happening any time soon.

Oh yeah, there's nothing that could possibly go wrong with this and any of the muscle sliver variants.

>>take the uncounterable, hardest to interact kind of permanent
emblems

Emblems aren't permanents
>113.5. An emblem is neither a card nor a permanent. Emblem isn’t a card type.

There's a reason that even the capeshit that inspired this still gives folks their own movies.

Emblems aren't permanents, though.

Why would you play Standard after they got rid of core sets? No room for personalisation and everyone plays the same two or three decks.

Also is there a lamer planeswalker than Gideon?

>geeks
>white

WE WUZ GEEKS N SHIEEEET

Pay debt

>WoTC is just trolling people and making them think they are

Honestly I would love this but this kind of shit is par for the course with SJW's. They're so vainly obsessed with how intelligent and morally correct they are that they're incapable of recognizing when they've contradicted their own narrative.

Tell that to Zur and the two assholes I am playing with

>black
>people
What did he mean by this?

Jace.
He's the only one that can be completely helpless against monsters with no brain; like here on Amonkhet with the zombies.
He also doesn't have a weapon t make up for this deficiency.

Planeswalkers were a mistake

lore question.

How strong are the current Praetors compared to the old Praetors?

Blue Lives Matter

No clue.

The Old Prateors were able to go toe to toe with old walkers, but they were created by Yawgmoth.

But you can still cast a 4 drop on turn 3 with a 2 cost mana dork.

???

Well they were also the products of something stronger than most old walkers. New praetors are definately weaker. The argument to be had is how many orders of magnitude weaker

Considering Gix nearly killed Urza at the end of the Planeswalker book after being in Yawgmoth's Detention Sphere for Minions that Don't Minion Good for a few millennia, I'd say they're a bit stronger.

Damn I miss the old Phyrexian look.

Old Phyrexia had a look?

I miss Glorious Phyrexia too. New Phyrexia just doesn't compare even if it shifting in colors makes more sense for the Phyrexian philosophy.
And eventually they're going to go to Elspeth's homeworld, which is under the thumb of surviving Phyrexians. They haven't forgotten her backstory, so it's GOING to happen, and they're going to fuck it up by making them too much like New Phyrexia.

Not a unified one persay, but New Phyrexia just doesn't have that same charm. I'm not really sure how to put it, maybe it's just nostalgia.

I think New Phyrexia's problem when it comes to design is that it doesn't have that kind of "wretched" feeling that so many of the old phyrexian things gave off. Sure, Urabrask and Elesh are intimidating and cool looking, but they don't have the strange tubing and flesh of a plaguelord, or the confusing body structure of a negator. Old phyrexia looked really fucked up, at least in terms of physiology, and that was part of its charm.

They're not going to go to Elspeth's homeworld when they can just return to New Phyrexia.

Although having the Gatewatch have to crack through some Phyrexian border planes to get to the heart of it all would be sick.

Or just some old Phyrexians meeting new Phyrexians and showing them how it's done would be sweet

Huh I thought New Phyrexia looked pretty cool and I liked how there was a difference between each group.

That's the kind of thing I meant, actually.
Though sadly, knowing WotC, another possibility is they try to hit New Phyrexia, lose (but of course none of the annoying ones die, just someone like Ajani or someone else actually interesting) and flee, do some regular blocks as the Training Montage, then hit said plane to 'see how they've grown' and of course totally win because they're THE GATEWATCH.
They can have their superteam beat Phyrexia without having to lose New Phyrexia as villains, win/win as far as WotC is concerned!

Old Phyrexians were metal-coming-out-flesh zombie cyborgs of a dozen different varieties, rather than the monsters-made-out-of-metal look of New Phyrexia, with one variety for each color.

IDK I feel like New Phyrexia had a good mix going between creatures that were more fleshlike looking old style and creature that were more mirrodin-metal covered looking a lot more sleek

Is that motherfucker blocking a God's attack or something?

I think that both white and black New Phyrexia have that sort of look though.

Considering that White and Black are most aligned with Old Phyrexia in terms of colour identity that would make sense