People who complain about MTGFinance piss me off. Ok, so Modern decks are $1000+. Legacy decks are $2000+...

People who complain about MTGFinance piss me off. Ok, so Modern decks are $1000+. Legacy decks are $2000+. MTGO is unplayable. Standard has devolved into a mess of absurd power creep. So what, deal with it or don't play. There are solutions:

A. Get rich. If you're a millionaire, you can afford to buy any deck you want on the spot.

B. Get good. Win small tournaments with budget decks, use store credit from those tournaments to build more expensive decks.

C. Get into MTGFinance yourself. A few buyouts could go a long way, possibly even make you rich.

D. Get a new hobby. If you're not willing to spend the money, why play Magic at all?

making good decks unreasonably expensive isn't good for the long term health of the format(see legacy), how fucking dense do you have to be to not see that?

>This fucking dense
Making the game unplayable for 90% of your target demographic means you'll never see a dime because they've moved on to a cheaper game that isn't heavily biased towards most money/single deck meta.
>Muh standard is a mess so git gud or gtfo
A meta being fucked is inexcusable. WotC should not have banned the cards they did to begin with, and despite concerns about player confidence it's clear a "nothing changed" position only hurt them. A meta shouldn't be dominated unquestionably by two decks if the intent is to make a profit.
>Modern is dommed by $1000 decks
Budget burn, affinity, even Bant Spirits do fairly decent while never exceeding more than $400.
>MTGO is unplayable
I've seen evidence to the contrary.

Most standard players also play other formats as a fallback for when the format becomes stale. It's up to WotC and nobody else whether poor R&D and a lack of player-focused decision-making is going to be the direction they take. Amonkhet is proving to be somewhat decent, but a lack of answers and too many threats are more meaningful than masterpieces long-term.

z.
play commander and laugh at all the retard baby's in other formats

Epic post! Liked and subscribed to your blog.

>possibly even make you rich
even the top 0.01% only make a couple hundred off each set

mtg cards are hilariously bad investments

>tfw sell completed, full ABUR dual Legacy decks to top out my Commander decks and keep one or two low-power ones on the side
why did I even bother with format babbies

>Only make a couple hundred off each set
Lmao yeah tell that to my 500 boxes of Khans

Rudy, you wife wants to talk to you.

DESU his wife is a fucking apple pie faced plain disgusting tramp who's tits will be sagging below a snakes belly by the time she's 40 literally disgusting

Get in the oven

You are sure going to look smart when they reprint fetches again in six years

Took them 8 years to reprint zen fetches in a masters set, I think I'll be fine. But please do continue to tell me about how smart I am, really gets me hard when a nigga fluffing my hog

I would rather have 250 boxes of mm2017.

What kind of retarded solutions are those? Here is mine:

Just pay the fucking Chinamen $2 a card whenever you want something that is over $50. Trade for anything less than that. Don't put any of your fucking money into the secondary market/WotC unless it's at a FLGS you want to support.

>Play THE format for retarded babies so you can laugh at retarded babies
There is some logic to that. I love showing up to 1v1 EDH tournaments with 40Counterspells.dec and watching all the tears that it gets out of little Timmy.

>People who "invest" $20 into a card

L O W T E S T

Actual stocks iinvestors are consodered lucky if they get a 20% profit in a year. With magic cards you can get 200% percent profit or even far far more in much less time. Saying people only make hundreds is beyond retarded, it depends entirely on your investment, eveb if that were true and people only make hundreds there is a way to make more.
Also bonus points the magic market cna be outsmarted, the real stocks market can't.
If you really are good at magic you can make crazy money,the only problem is that it would take a lot of time spent at postal office shupping. (t. Not an investor, i just got butthurt about your retarded claims)

Commander is for autistic assholes though.

Actually I just buy fakes.

>Actually I'm just poor
Ftfy

Samefag. No one cares whether or not you play/buy fakes. It's all about the game.

that's because there is no entity to regulate that shit.

while i do agree with you on most points senpai
>bant spirits
>a deck that runs 3c mana base and 4 noble hierarchs as well as 2 EE sideboard
>lower than 400 bucks
800 is more like it

If they know it's going to be duel and they show up with some Timmy battlecruiser pile of shit, they deserve everything that's coming to them.

>C. Get into MTGFinance yourself. A few buyouts could go a long way, possibly even make you rich.

Dont fall for a meme

>40Counterspells.dec
Post dick or I'm just gonna assume you're bad or don't know how to play commander

The free market has already fixed it user.
Join grorius capitarism chinaman revorution!
Demand rises and so does offer!

>$400 for a children's card game is "budget"
What the everloving fuck.

>Children's card game
It's a children's card game until you actually start playing competitively, kitchen table is almost free and it's great

>children's card game
I rarely actually see children playing. I've only ever played against one (not counting when I was a child myself) and only seen a handful.

That "20%" is hundreds of thousands of dollars. Thinking you're a big boy because you doubled your ((((investment)))) of $100 is pathetic.

Yeah it's kind of funny. I think Magic is kind of in its golden years right now, with the adults who played it as kids spending real money now. As compared to kids spending a couple dollars. However I wonder if MTG can compete with video games, shit I know I would have rather played video games most of the time when I was a kid, I mean I was playing Gradius and Mario and it was fun, but can't compare to games nowadays

You missed the 5th solution: buy counterfeit cards for cheap.

Wizards needs to stop fucking up with MTGO. Games like Hearthstone show kids get just as addicted to collecting cards as they always have.

Okay maybe not 40, it's pretty stock Vendillion Clique control but with even more counterspells instead of the Emrakul wincon package (why would I want to end the game that fast? I'll draw into tunnel vision eventually)

>400$
>Budget

So what youre saying is there are no budget decks.

I started building Affinity by buying a U/W Tempered Steel deck that costs ~$80 right now. It's not all that competitive but it can still get wins.

Yeah, since no 400 dollar """budget""" deck is more than a waste of your fucking time.
>standard
will rotate, nice job wasting 400 dollars since they'll devaluate ASAP
>legacy/vintage
Hahaha. Oh wow.
>Modern
Yes user, your shitbrew 400 dollars """affinity""" and """burn""" are good. (hahaha oh wow), best you can get is "budget" dredge (haha oh wow).
>Pauper
I mean, might as well buy all the decks in the format to have someone to play with.

>I-it c-can still get wins!!
I can get wins with a pauper deck vs legacy tier 1-2s (back in the day vs pikula).

If you don't play pauper it's a waste of your money and time, same with your shitbrew, except if you play kitchen table where this discussion is fucking irrelevant since it's fucking casual you don't need to improve the deck outside of your own help or try to beat t1 decks anyways and the metagame is different (namely, there isn't one or it's the same since it's your buddies and you all own the same decks)

The point is that the deck is playable and gives you a path to a tier 1 deck that you can upgrade to over time.

You do realize Rudy's gay, right?

Emrakul is banned in Commander

All of your arguments are retarded.

A. Getting rich isn't that easy. It's alot of work; in fact, if you were trying to get rich, you probably wouldn't even have time for Magic.

B. That's assuming there's an LGS full of n00bs in your area. Most people don't have that luxury.

C. So treat Magic like a second job? Fuck that, hobbies are supposed to be fun leisure activities, not stressful work.

D. Actually, YOU probably should, because you're a toxic piece of shit.

Not the same guy and to be fair. The entry market to "stock trading" in MTG is far lower than the real market. Anyone can do it in MTG with hundreds of dollars, stock market you need thousands of dollars.

And now you have a shell for a deck that you can upgrade later into its more expensive competitive version.

As a person who hasn't played mtg before, but knows card games in general a bit (pokemon as a kid, a little of hearthstone when I'm bored)

What's so fucked about the standard meta right now, won't it just be fixed the next time expansion x comes out and makes the old cards obsolete?

Thats the same argument people made with Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

Magic is MUCH more expensive than Pokémon or Hearthstone. People aren't as willing to build new Standard decks when it costs roughly half a grand each time.

Christ on a bike and I thought hearthsone was bad. Is it just endless pack opening in the hope of the [insert high rarity card] that the entire deck revolves around?

yes yes very good

HOWEVER

No. If you buy individual cards, it's half a grand. If you open packs to try to build decks, it will cost well over a grand.

the difference is that the hearthstone cards you put money into have absolutely no value once they rotate out unless you have plans to play their eternal format whereas magic cards will generally always have some form of fungible value in comparison to hearthstone where the best you can get if you pull more copies of a card than you need is anywhere from an eighth to a quarter of the card's value

No, you just buy the bloody cardboard directly.

>spend $500 on a magic deck
>get tired of magic
>sell magic deck off for 90% of what I paid
>spend $500 on hearthstone cards
>get tired of hearthstone
>???

>1v1 EDH

Pop quiz: can you name a speculative craze where a rare vintage piece sold for thousands of dollars, 3 newer pieces sold for over $100 for a long time, and buttloads of people went into a buying frenzy hoping to get rich off it?

I'm, of course, talking about the Beanie Baby craze of the 1990s. And that vintage piece I'm referring to is Peanut the Elephant, not Black Lotus. The newer pieces I'm referring to are Garcia, Maple, and Britannia. Not Tarmogoyf, Jace the Mind Sculptor, and Liliana of the Veil.

Sounds Familiar, eh?

>A few buyouts could go a long way, possibly even make you rich.
show me 10 people who became rich investing in mtg

Most people have been figuring the Magic financial bubble would pop like other collectibles. I'm surprised it hasn't yet, I wonder how much further it can go.

standard is 200 max each time
also don't play shitty formats
pauper and commander exist

Sounds pretty crazy. I'll just stick to looking at all the pretty pictures they cards have then, I think.

It will pop when the playerbase reaches a critical low, and Wizzards reprints needed cards to compensate. All speculators are the company's bitch in that at any moment they could be made irrelevant.

magic could pop at any moment, its pretty amazing that its held on for this long.

You dumb pieces of shit. Plenty of people put a few hundred dollars into "the stock market" (you mean equities but whatevs) and make 200%+ back. Just put a few hundred $ into some low-cap biotech stock. It'll probably go bust, but if it succeeds you'll make many times your investment, and your overall odds are much better than "investing" in pogs or whatever.

Only that kind of activity isn't INVESTING. It's speculating, gambling. Fun of course, but grown-ups don't do that with real money or over real time horizons, because a) with large quantities you prefer safety, b) the market won't bear it: if you buy a ton of a single "pog" you won't be able to sell even if it goes up -- especially if it only went up as a result of you buying.

Old joke: some guy who thinks he's smart buys $10k of a penny stock. This pushes the price up. He sees that, thinks he's a genius, tells his broker to buy another $10k. And another. By this point there are only a few active sellers left and they figure something's going on and put their asking price sky high. Our genius investor (who I have to assume is one of the anons on this thread) figures he's made enough now, plus he's out of cash, so he tells his broker to sell.

His broker says, "to who?"

>He doesn't play MTG with high resolution cardstock proxies, or play in a price limited meta, or stick to limited/cube.
Well, there's the problem.

>People expecting casuals to pay the ridiculously high prices to play competitive magic.
Why in the fuck would we do that?

>le elitist capitalist

It's a fucking children's card game. It should be cheap and affordable.

1v1 edh has additional banlist. Keep in mind.

Or the 6th: grab 300dpi scans and print to scale on 110lb cardstock and cut out, possibly with a $50 paper guillotine.

All decks, $20.

Once you sleeves them it's all the same anyways.

Plus, if you're creative, you can make entire sweet looking themed decks with matching borderless graphic design and hand selected art.

(Captcha: select all hamsters - there's a rabbit, a chipmunk, and a squirrel, no hamsters)

Here's the flaw with your analogy and reasoning in relating it to Beanie Babies. Beanie babies don't exist to be played in tournaments where the demand for X cards for said tournaments increases demand. Beanie Babies exist as nothing but collectables that do nothing where as MTG cards exist not just as collectables but have tangent purpose for tournaments where said cards are required. Compound this with the factor of the reserve list and the card value of those cards on the reserve list will only go up as long as the game is in demand to play.

>Reserve list
You want a solution for the reserve list?
"Cards on the reserve list are not legal in any competitive format".
Fucking done. Problem solved.

As for the rest,
>1.
one answer is to shit out sets of tournament staples (especially the manabases) to drive down the card value to accessible amounts.

>2.
Or, another solution: break each format down into weight classes which are based on the average card price of the deck. Everyone has to build their decks in a web app which calculates the deck's weight class, and players I can be quickly shown the a decks weightclass stats through a simple smartphone or webapp. if a deck is breaking a meta, its price increases will end up pushing that deck up a weight class and it will end up facing more expensive decks, until it ends up where it belongs.

>3.
Or, conversely, ban the staple cards for any decks dominating a meta, forcing people to come up with new decks.

Of course, none of these things are actually going to happen, and 60 card competitive formats are going to continue to not be any fun, while also being overpriced.

So I'll just stick to playing non-tournament based limited, cube, and casual price limited/proxy formats, and things like deckbuilder toolkit leagues.

Make money selling useless accessories

Sell HS account

Can you not resell hs cards online? I don't play hs.

>the next time expansion x comes out and makes the old cards obsolete?

New cards rarely make old cards "obsolete", unless you mean rotation, and that won't happen till September.

>spend $500 on a magic deck
>get tired of magic
>sell magic deck off for 150% of what I paid

FTFY

>Standard has devolved into a mess of absurd power creep.
Uh, what

You'll only see an upmark in Legacy and maybe Modern if your shit doesn't get banned, and there 500$ doesn't even buy you the mana base.

No, there is no trading and there is no ability to buy/sell individual cards. You can only pull cards from packs or "disenchant" cards to get pseudo-currency whose only use is to create other cards, and at terrible rates mind you.

This is also a possibility, my statement was for the most likely scenario of little to no loss in which case your greatest loss will be the % cost to you in shipping/reselling

Card price speculation only drives card prices up, thus making the problem even worse.

Gotcha. So like Steam "purchases".

Every purchase you need to ask yourself: "am I going to get my money's worth out of this, I'm not going to be able to recoup any of the costs if not"

>Card price speculation is bad, m'kay?

Yeah, it drives prices up, but it usually doesn't matter. Do you really care that nuch when shit like Seismic Assault and Rite of Passage spike? If you do, you should probably stop trying to build bad decks.

>Reserved List

...Or you could just use Chinese "proxies" like everyone else

>1
Already being done. You can currently get a whole set of every Fetch and Shock Land for under $500, thanks to Modern Masters 2017. And they will only continue to be reprinted more and more.

>2
Hmm...I actually like this one. Interesting idea.

>3
No. There's a time and place for that, and it's called Yu-Gi-Oh.

>"Cards on the reserve list are not legal in any competitive format".
>Fucking done. Problem solved.

That doesn't solve the problem, you've just made it worse. While I do think the reserve list should be abolished this is not the way to do it. Better way to do is to start abolishing the cards over a long set period of time like say 10 years and the more expensive sought after reserve list cards (e.g Moxen) should have the cards reprinted only as part of the prizes for winning a tournament.

>one answer is to shit out sets of tournament staples (especially the manabases) to drive down the card value to accessible amounts.

They're doing that now with the Masters sets. MM3 is in a good position now while EMA was a good thing it's also going to be slow to catch up.

>Or, another solution: break each format down into weight classes which are based on the average card price of the deck. Everyone has to build their decks in a web app which calculates the deck's weight class, and players I can be quickly shown the a decks weightclass stats through a simple smartphone or webapp. if a deck is breaking a meta, its price increases will end up pushing that deck up a weight class and it will end up facing more expensive decks, until it ends up where it belongs.

Way too confusing and unnecessary and a very bad idea. You are going to make not just deckbuilding needlessly complex for both new and existing players but you're forcing them to keep awareness of two different lists, a B&R list and a price list. Then you ask which price list you use? Stores and other places have variable prices on cards by up to sometimes $20 which can make or break a deck in your example.

>Or, conversely, ban the staple cards for any decks dominating a meta, forcing people to come up with new decks.

Cards should only be banned for power reasons not for secondary market pricing reasons. Online play makes expensive formats cheap.

>Reserved List
...So, turn Legacy into Super Modern?

>1
WoTC has already been doing that. It can't be done overnight, though.

>2
So...turn Magic into Smogon?

>3
So...turn Magic into Yugioh?

How do I unload a lot of cards for the most value?
Or even a few valuable cards that are worth a decent amount?

Required my old collection of thousands, first handful had original reanimate deads, lightning bolts and swords (4th and ice age).

Don't think using eBay to sell off playsets of swords is the way to go, but I also don't want to sell them bulk for 5$ for 1k.

Any pointers?

>Magic into Smogon
More or less, yeah.

Make Smogon for MTG.

>They have to track prices!
No they don't. They just have to look at their deck in the app and see if they've gone over budget.
>Which Prices!?
An average of the major European, North American, and Asian markets, based on the average price of the card for a 4 or 6 month timespan. The price that matters for deckbuilding would be the cheapest (legal to be played) physical price for a particular card, regardless of set.

>No they don't. They just have to look at their deck in the app and see if they've gone over budget.

MTG cards have different prices across different vendors and different sites. So no your "just look at their app" argument doesn't work especially considering there could be multiple price checking apps. Also you cannot consult your phone during the middle of an MTG tournament. Otherwise this is going to cause a billion Judge calls to examine every deck to ensure its up to "price matching".

>An average of the major European, North American, and Asian markets, based on the average price of the card for a 4 or 6 month timespan. The price that matters for deckbuilding would be the cheapest (legal to be played) physical price for a particular card, regardless of set.

Except a card in one market could be worth more in another market. Maybe someone uses foil cards, now those cards are just unnecessarily expensive for the same function. Different editions of a card are also worth more or less depending on the version. Then you have to evaluate foreign versions of cards and the prices on those differ widely as well. You are introducing unnecessary unneeded complex logistics into the game based on secondary market trends that are not part of the game rules.

Who decided to jack up the prices on dual lands for modern anyway?

TFW Just wanna play some fun games with friends and local FNM but not enough of an ass to just print out fakes and sleeve them.

just play Pauper.

>Ultra pro sleeves

you sure are pauper

As a person that started in August, stick to edh and pauper.

Also, get local chronics to shoplift cards for you.

ifthat comes with those dice im gonna buy it

>Suggest an official change to a format with an official deckbuilding app that tells you the value of a card for purposes of deckbuilding.
>"There's a billion different webapps!"
>"Checking during a tournament".
In a tournament you would register your deck list, and that decklist would include it's "point value" from the official deckbuilder.

>"Individual printings have different values"
Yes. And as I already said, the one that would matter for how much it counts against your deck building budget would be an automatically calculated average of the cheapest printing available in all the major markets. You're clearly not actually reading what you responding to, or you wouldn't be pointing out "flaws" that were already explicitly explained and resolved.

>Pauper format
>Complains about sleeves.
It's just a format that has cheaper (on average) deck prices. It's poorly named, because it's not actually a dirt cheap format, it's just cheaper than the big 5.

Using the cheapest sleeves for the cheapest format?

>UltraPro
>Cheapest Sleeves
UltraPro are the fine. They're not fancy but they get the job done. The cheapest Sleeves are the ones without any identifying brand, that are clear on both sides and fall apart when you try to put cards in them. People used to call them penny sleeves here in leafland because you got a pack of 100 for a buck.
And I've seen several LGS that don't carry any of the more premium sleeves than UltraPro, it could also just be a lack of options.

>Buy online then
I've had many ultrapro split versus dragonshields and no name online sleeves.