Who works the best as a high-tech race: dwarves, goblins or gnomes?

Who works the best as a high-tech race: dwarves, goblins or gnomes?

Orcs

Cool story bro

Elves.

Dwarves.

Goblins and Gnomes are Warcraft Meme Fantasy shit.

White people.

so,

If elves stand for white people, who do humans stand for?

I'm reminded of 3e D&D where elves were portrayed as always lithe, graceful and somewhat androgynous beings with almond-shaped eyes, a penchant for curved swords and higher education, and whose women were sought after by others.

In other words, elves were the Japanese.

Which I guess explains the tech, too.

Elves are northern europeans

Dwarves eastern europeans

Humans are the british/middle/southern europeans

Orcs are sandniggers/weewuz kangznsheets

At least that's what Tolkien had in mind. Nowadays all the races have lost their roots and are whatever quirky wacky mishmash of culture the creators want them to be.

arabs

>Orcs are sandniggers/weewuz kangznsheets
I thought orcs were suppose to be steppeniggers.

I'm pretty sure they were inspired by the Ottoman and middle easterner invasions of Europe.

The siege of Minas Tirith was basically a fantasy retelling of the siege of Vienna. Also if you overlay Middle Earth on Europe, Mordor is pretty much Turkey.

No no no. Hobbits are British, orcs are Germans, or at least German militarism. The other parallels are a bit trickier. Humans could arguably be the people of mainland Europe, Elves or Dwarves are America perhaps, but the parallels aren't that easy. Tolkein hated the idea that LotR was allegory, and was pissy that people always assumed he was referencing WWII rather than WWI. If there is a reference to the two world wars it's more about the importance of good people (both nations and individuals) participating in a just war against tyranny.

Tolkien hated allegory though, he used them as inspiration (mainly linguistic) but they are very much not meant as racial analogues

>high-tech race
Technology Level is not a racial attribute.

That said, of those three races, in my setting, I would say dwarves, because the others don't exist.

I like dwarves as advanced but conservative in their designs, with most construction heavy and over-engineered, but very reliable (less stable/more evil dwarves tend to go the Nazi engineering route of larger, more powerful but ultimately unreliable designs) while goblins - their common local foe - are like tolkein's orcs in their innovation - quite advanced and good at making things blow up, but in many ways crude, ramshackle and unsafe, like WHFB's skaven.

>High tech
Elves
>Ancient elder god arcane bullshit tech that makes magic seem like parlour tricks
Ancient nazi humans from the sky

I don't like gnomes being tinkers or tech guys at all. Honestly, I hate gnomes in general with a passion, and Dragonlance/Warcraft ones are my absolute least favorites.

I do, however, like both dwarves and gobbos as tinkers. Gobbos make ramshackle equipment that doesn't look like it will work at all, or will backfire, but serve their purposes nonetheless (mostly explosives, traps, and tools, with some but not many making greater advancements). Dwarves make the more heavy duty stuff - steampunk devices, firearms, advanced vehicles, et cetera.

Kobolds.

Kobolds

>always lithe, graceful and somewhat androgynous beings
>japs
I don't have enough lol's for this.

My Iosan of colour.

Ready to join 4shade on his magical genocide adventure?

They all play out differently:

Dwarven tech is stable, reliable, traditional but refined and fairly priced.

Goblin tech is cheap, unreliable, radical but unrefined and brutish.

Gnome tech is elegant, radical and unreliable but expensive.

If you got a engine made by the three races, the dwarf would arrive with a high-efficiency combustion engine or similar such piece of tech. With more redundancies and fail-safes than seems needed. It would have the fuel consumption you would expect but would never fail in it's workings. Takes his pay and leaves.

The goblin would turn up with some nigger-rigged nuclear fission reactor. It's powerful but it drinks fuel like a black hole and might explode at any time if you don't keep an eye on it. Then it hands you back most of your money, saying it did it on a tiny portion of the budget.

The gnome turns up, gives you a nuclear fusion reactor and warns you to never do this or that or else it explodes violently. It consumes less fuel than you expect, is quiet, small and then you see the bill. All your money is only the first payment in a multi-year repayment program.

Gnomes.

High-tech elves are a meme
High-tech dwarves are a meme
High-tech gnomes are a meme

High-tech goblins are only acceptable if you make their technology specifically goblin

>High-tech elves are a meme
How are they a meme if I've never even seen high-tech elves?

This, I only know one setting with high-tech elves.

They're some of the best elves in TTG fantasy though.

>scyrah aint free. the veld of elves and gods gotta be litterd with the bodies of human spellcasters.

Orcs are fun-tech, not high-tech

Technically, it's not even technology, it's magically powered scrap metal.

Humans.

Their tech is mostly within the boundaries or reality, belief merely keeps it running better than it should have.

Humans work best as the miniaturization guys.

We love making things smaller and more efficient. Spess Elves may have faster warp drives and better particle cannons, and Spess Dorgs may have better forcefields and railguns, but we have the smallest, slickest smartphones and the best micromachines, and we've probably put them in our brains because why the fuck not.

All of the above. Just different attitudes towards technology and execution

Depends on the setting, but I generally go with none.

Technological advancement limited to one race rarely make sense, and in the case of Guild Wars 2, for example, it is especially cringy. They have weather control machines etc.

Makes no sense.

Dorfs make crazy shit, Goblins make scary shit, Gnomes make shit that kills fucking everything that touches it.

Gnomes are much more bright and floaty with it but dwarves are much more militaristic and industrial so I'd say dwarves.

I never got that idea from gnomes. A gnome is weird with their big heads and small bodies so they have weird tech. Bright and floaty is not how I picture them. Pic related is how I imagine a gnome more to be.

Make them all high tech and let the industrial war ensue

Make their tech all genetically controlled, District 9 style.

>goblins->dieselpunk/madmax style scrap-tech
>gnomes->magicpunk/magi-tech
>dwarves->steampunk/early 20th century zeppelin-tech
Prove me wrong

Gnomes

>At least that's what Tolkien had in mind.

no

Nah busy being butthurt with Ossyan.

It's bad enough that you're all morons, but do you have to be racist morons at the same time?
Like, are there really that many people posting from Alabama, or is Europe just that much like talking to a redneck hick?

My man

Evil dwarves with wunderwaffen are cool - makes a good way of showing what sort of madness you get when dwarves drop some of their traditional principles.

I don't like gnomes, but if I had to include them, and work the best to me

Technically correct in that it's more of a national/regional attribute, but how many fantasy writers take the time to make nations consisting of multiple races?

Elves are usually so advanced in the trades they've picked up that their technology is difficult to pick out from mundanity. It ends up blending in with and augmenting the environment.

Granted, when it comes to thinks outside of their knowledge base like plastics they're hopelessly clueless, but they don't need such things to run their 30,000 year-old empires.

Where are these from?

Also, superior Elves, inbound.

Warmahordes
Also, Elves are magic hippie faggots their "tech" is just magical/psionic vegan bullshit

Gnomes, they're practically gray aliens anyway.

>adventurers, go forth and defeat the evil gnome sorcerer that abducts human females in order to breed gnome-human hybrids to take over the planet