Norh Korea as a threat to the entire world

I'm trying to build my next RPG setting that I might run later on, and I've decided I want the main theme to be modern mercenaries. But not a strict adherence to realism - I want to present everything as more akin to an action movie or some video games. I've decided I want North Korea to be the primary threat of the campaign, and to build them up as a serious threat to the entire world.

So I need help writing up some background on how this comes to be. I guess the first step is that NK would have to get some kind of extreme and sudden financial windfall that even they couldn't possibly fuck up - maybe they find some huge oil or precious mineral deposits in their own territory. From there I'm thinking they'd use that money to beef up their military in terms of recruited personnel actively serving and quality of their equipment (they'd buy and copy designs from Russia and China). They'd also find a way to perfect an ICBM capable of being launched and detonating anywhere on Earth, and stockpile those.

Then they'd expand their influence. I suppose they could start making deals with tinpot governments all over the world, like certain African countries, to buy land with more resources on it, and they start sending troops over to protect that land, and start coming up with excuses to send those troops into neighboring areas that also look attractive to seize for further resources. Any protests from the world are met with threats of nuclear retaliation.

And I guess this would just keep going on until the PC's are hired to interfere with this whole process, since recognized world governments couldn't use their own militaries under threats of being nuked.

Any other ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4L40TdPlkk
nces.ed.gov/surveys/pisa/pisa2015/pisa2015highlights_3f.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, pick a different country. The idea of North Korea not just getting invaded by the US/Japan/Worst Korea because of said windfall, or being puppeted by China is laughably bad.

So they get the nukes prior to the windfall. Check.

Fuck, wish I wasn't on mobile. I have a lot of input.

I can wait and monitor this thread. I'll check it regularly. Thanks.

Nooope. Again, there's no situation in which Best Korea is allowed to become a global threat short of alien intervention or some return of Magic bullshit like Shadowrun.

They already have nukes, and look at all the pressure mounting on them for trying to get a decent missile to launch a warhead.

Think nigger, think.

Pick a goddamned country that isn't the shortbus joke of the world. Brazil, South Africa, or even Kenya.

you know this gives me a scary thought, what if the whole incompetent thing is just an act and the're stockpiling nukes as we speak?

Highly unlikely.

>They already have nukes, and look at all the pressure mounting on them for trying to get a decent missile to launch a warhead.

I meant decent nukes that can reach anywhere like I described in my OP

>Brazil, South Africa, or even Kenya.

...really? Explain any of those to me.

The only way for NK to be a threat is if they manage to invent/discover some kind of massively powerful, sci-fi level self-sustaining weapon that doesn't require any real input on their part.

So, that means you're restricted to stuff like fantasy-level bioweapons (something resident-evil level) or self-replicating nanomachines in a "grey goo" kind of sense.

The only other option would be something like a Dr Strangelove style "doomsday device" (in the movie, it was a massive cobalt-salted bomb that detonated on Russian soil but could spread lethal radiation worldwide regardless).

Give them something stupidly powerful and some reason to hit the button, and then MAYBE they could be a threat to the world. Otherwise, no, they aren't threatening anyone past Busan.

I'm not above doing something like this.

Again, I'm playing this as more like an action movie like The Expendables or a video game like Just Cause or Metal Gear

In that case, give them some kind of super dangerous global EMP weapon that would send everyone back to the stone age, allowing NK to conquer SK in the Chaos. NK has gone rogue, backed by a seperatist chinese general who took a huge element of the army with him, and they have the chinese prime minister hostage.

Drop your original concept, and rework Paranoia to fit into a north korean setting with friend computer as the ruling party and your troubleshooters as nameless mid-level policemen

Homefront "Intro" (Xbox 360)
youtube.com/watch?v=f4L40TdPlkk

Altering the PARANOIA setting is treason, citizen.
Please report to confession booth 3132alpha7 in sector TJI.

Knowing that altering the PARANOIA setting is an act of treason is also treason, citizen.

I actually knew about the premise to that game, though never played it. But I decided I wanted it to be more a globe-trotting game than stuck in only one country.

Knowing that Knowing that altering the PARANOIA setting is an act of treason is also treason, is also an act of treason, we are dispatching trouble shooters to your location, have a nice day.

How do you know that, computer, are you a TRAITOR?!

turns out best korea was sitting on some alien technology
>Already done in Crysis
Shit, uuhhh, NK had computer virus?
>red dawn reboot
UUUUUUHHHhhhhhh... Fuck it copy Marvel's idea of having the north koreans use their own citizens as guinea pigs for the granting of superpowers
Super powered koreans start attacking, US and it's allies start fighting back with technology, China is being semi-neutral about the whole

So you mean decent ballistic technology really. Anyway the chances of them doing it themselves are laughable, and the chances of them getting them from someone else are equally unlikely. You would really need some crazy outside intervention to make it work, like as an other user said, aliens.
The absolute best I can give you is a rogue AI that wants to end all meat life and is using Korea. But even that wouldn't explain how they could actually get the infrastructure to make it work. Unless you're going for a joke campaign there's no reasonable way to really make Korea a threat.

Knowing that Knowing that Knowing that altering the PARANOIA setting is an act of treason is also treason, is also an act of treason, is also an act of treason. Dispatching trouble shooter on behalf of Friend Computer is also treason. Please remain where you are so that the trouble shooters can find you more easily.

At this point I think you're just being contrarian.

Yes, Best Korea is a bad country I agree. Which is exactly why I'd like to present them as the main bad guys for a game where the players pretend to be soldier badasses mowing down scores of their troops, tanks, and aircraft in a single session. But to deny the concept for even a fun game of pretend with dice makes me think you just enjoy telling people no.

Anyway, I'm still genuinely interested in how Brazil, Kenya, or South America could be a good enemy to the world since you seem to be really good at world design.

So far, everyone has looked at nukes as something you launch at enemy nations, and for that you need all kinds of technology and your efforts can easily be stopped. But the only real use of nukes for a country like North Korea is as a deterrent. They could never hope to actually defeat the US in open war.

So why build missiles? You can build an arbitrarily large nuclear weapon even with fairly low technology if it doesn't have to go anywhere. Build it deep underground in a mountain and just keep making it bigger and bigger, and set it up as a cobalt-seeded bomb. If it ever were to be set off, it would kill most of the people in east Asia straight away and the prevailing winds would carry the intense radiation all the was to America where it would kill most of the people there as well.

It's a doomsday machine that would make North Korea more or less immune to attack from either China or the US and its allies. Then they can just start swarming outward with their enormous conventional army, free from fear of nuclear reprisal.

At some point, Russia falls into dire financial ruin. Afraid of being swallowed by China, which has grown more agressive and influential lately, state comes up with a plan: they loan huge chunks of farmable land with derelict factories scattered throughout to NK. All NK has to do is to pay a percentage of the profits. The venture becomes so succesful Russia basically throws half its territory to NK; unfortunately, devious propagandists manage to convince the local populace that NK is heaven on Earth and Russia is about to crumble any second now. Furthermore, there's powerful Soviet tech buried deep within Siberia - secret research projects that were canned by military during perestroika out of spite for new direction the country was taking back then, and NK discovers it and promptly digs it out.

Phase two is China snapping and attacking Russia, while in reality trying to hobble NK. Peace agreements of 2025 force USA to retailate, but a couple of nuclear strikes makes the victory pyrrhic. Western part of Russia is ruined and populace moves beyond the Ural to New North Korea.

With China defeated, USA despondend over the loss of Washington and NY, Old Russia on death's door, and Europe and Middle East growing isolationist, NK is the new hegemony. India and Japan would oppose them, but they have their own problems. You can think of the rest.

I'm not the first user, that was my first post.

I'm not being contrarian, it's just two different things. I wasn't being sarcastic, just clearing up what they would need.

>Yes, Best Korea is a bad country I agree. Which is exactly why I'd like to present them as the main bad guys
Then do it. I'm not telling you not too, but you'll end up with a slightly humorous tone, intentionally or not. There's no real way to realistically portray Korea as being able to do anything aside from some kind of "They now have magic" situation. If that's what you want or you don't care, then fine, that's a perfectly reasonable choice.

Just build them a fucking metal gear, moron.

Go full Ghost Recon/Metal Gear with it and make it a black op.

NK isn't a threat to the world, but the world finally said enough is enough and is going to turn a blind eye to the group of GI Joe-esque operatives gathered from around the world sent in to destabilize the country, kick the military's ass, and incite a revolution.

Why is this happening now? It's not your job to ask questions, Soldier.

The north korea we see is a farse
The real kim is a hyper Veeky Forums master of CQC and has been stocking up nukes
The real korean army is actually as advanced and steong as the propaganda suggest
And to further cement them have them successfully invade china and annex everything from tibet to beijing

>norty korea is destabilized in like a week as its filled to the brim by secret services and PMCs

>So why build missiles? You can build an arbitrarily large nuclear weapon even with fairly low technology if it doesn't have to go anywhere. Build it deep underground in a mountain and just keep making it bigger and bigger, and set it up as a cobalt-seeded bomb. If it ever were to be set off, it would kill most of the people in east Asia straight away and the prevailing winds would carry the intense radiation all the was to America where it would kill most of the people there as well.

>It's a doomsday machine that would make North Korea more or less immune to attack from either China or the US and its allies. Then they can just start swarming outward with their enormous conventional army, free from fear of nuclear reprisal.

That's literally the plot of Dr Strangelove.

Not that guy but Brazil and SA are already regional powerhouses, it wouldn't take too much to actually make them world powers.

>Pick a goddamned country that isn't the shortbus joke of the world. Brazil, South Africa, or even Kenya.

If you're going to talk African countries, Nigeria is probably the rocket set to launch towards "regional power" levels in the next few decades.

They have 2 times the population of any other African country, the same GDP per capita that China had just 1 decade ago, loads of natural resources, and a central location that lends itself to easy expansion if they start having imperial ambitions, with no immediate neighbors who can challenge them for dominance.

The main issue they need to deal with is governance and corruption, but if they wind up in some kind of chinese "virtuous dictatorship trap" where the leadership has to keep delivering improvements in standard of living to maintain legitimacy, that could force them to root out a lot of those problems, especially with some degree of external help.

SA just needs some more time
Brazil needs to get rid of the hippies and the amazon

MOAB!

Why the Amazon? If that goes so does a lot of the regions' bio security.

>I guess the first step is that NK would have to get some kind of extreme and sudden financial windfall that even they couldn't possibly fuck up - maybe they find some huge oil or precious mineral deposits in their own territory.

Given that most of the world is not trading with them, how do you expect them to turn these natural resources into a huge financial windfall?

Choosing North korea is just lazy and not strong at all.

Having so much of it they can sell it for literally the cheapest.

Who else would be a better pick?

It can go into sci fi territory and be some kind of precious substance with incredible value, but not found anywhere else I the world.

Their objectively most successful export is Juche, EU was built on it!

Jews

>big pappy Il is dead

It's just not the same, he acted like a fucking Bond villain while his son is just a generic wacko dictator.

Make Portugal a threat to the world.

How?

Better hurry up, they won't be a threat to global peace for much longer.

They don't need to be able to fight the entire world to a standstill to be a threat, OP. They have nukes that can hit China/Japan/SK and can fuck the world economy if not dealt with carefully. The PCs are hired to deal with them carefully and overwhelmingly lethally.

I never understand why people have to make third-world shitholes into threats to superpowers for their games.
Why not make the opfor a third-world nation that's become a threat to another third-world nation?
Why not have politics and intrigue (and warfare) in the Balkans?

Portuguese Empire never fractured. Brazil never lost Uruguay and annexed paraguay and Argentina. Most Atlantic islands and huge chunks of africa are under the control of Portugal to modern days. Portugal has invested in it's military and indoctrination of the colonies since ever. Right now, not only it has nukes and tons of them, but they are spread so widely across the world that it's hard for any nation to conceive a sensible strategy to protect themselves agaisnt it. There's no NATO. Portugal interveined wherever a british colony wanted independence and took over. So Canada and Australia are Portuguese puppet states. Their navy reigns supreme. There isn't a single place in the globe that their carriers and submarines can't reach within four hours.

And now, Portugal is using it's might to demand Europe come together as a single state under it's control, slowly annexing countries into a perverse version of the EU. Also, they are very catholic so at some point in the recent past, they invaded Saudi Arabia, commited a huge genocide the world had no choice but to ignore, and instaured a Christian Monarchic puppet state there called Nova Jerusalem.

Not NK, but, in a setting set in the near future where oil is nowhere to be found, have brazil skyrocket as that one country that placed its bet on biofuel, with the sudden discovery of an extremely effective way to refine their sugar cane shit. Every single car, every single oil-consuming thing in the world now runs on their own super-secret formula. Make conflict arise as a result of America's attempt at synthetizing the same product before their economy fall apart. Hell, make the rest of the world, now made generally poorer by Brazil's domination, join in against a single OP superpower. No nukes for some reason I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Hey OP, just checked the first few comments and it seems everyone is a retarded no fun having faggot who only gets their news from FOX.

North Korea is a real threat and actually is a pretty neat country and let me tell you why;

The ideology (Juche) is a fantastically fucked up mix of Inquisitor-style indoctrination, Nazi-esque propaganda, in North Korea they say that "We teach our army to be indistructible" which isn't just brainwashing in the sense that they are retarded and think they are bullet proof.

No, these mean nasty little yellow bastard's are prepared to do anything for their country, you're looking at Last days of the Reich desperation, these guys will break every international law America can't, imagine a modern day Vlad the Impaler, you think that China boarder will be a problem? Not so much when these bastard's have boobytrapped that shit tighter than Bailey Jay feeling fragile.

Imagine a war with WW1 trenches to halt troop movement, Anti-drone tech that's basically a firework display of bullets, Chemical clouds acting as anti-fucking everything apart from North Koreans who literally can pass through their country blindfolded because they have been drilled so much.

Think;why hasn't America won a war since WW2? Because the rules have changed for everyone else but themselves, the international institutions we live under where set up for a world that has long gone, while we stick to those codes of chivalry our opposition have long been playing by another book.

Ultimately you can never win a war against Korea.

You want North Korea as a big bad?

You get yourself a little but of Nazism, roll it up nicely inside that 40k style Commissariat, then you got to sprinkle that WW2 Japan mentality on top of that fantastic Viet-Afghani-Iraqi guerrilla tactics pastry and fill it all up with a delicious cult of personality filling, because nothing tastes like a Narcissistic madman who imprisons people for generations for going against him.

Anyways, continued

North Korea is all about that unification, with everything that's going on in the south (Massive corruption, Literal Illuminati tier cult shit going on, Internet is monitored) The North could install a shadow government that is a "Southern" version of ultranationalism , talks about the reunification and is strongly anti-corruption and anti-american

This works because of the political problems and the international non-interventionist problem, just look up the UN and Rwanda Genocide for that.

Works exactly as Brexit, Trump, probably LePen

Once in power BOOM unified Korea, North uses the south to bring itself up to scratch on tech, south uses north to uncuck itself from American culture , Kim Jong -entervowlshere- becomes known as a global peacemaker and releases all of the people in camps (That the world knows about via Google images and other means) but keeps hidden underground camps, then comes the south China sea, Korea won't want to fuck with Russia and already has some secret deal (See North Korean workers in Siberia) China are gonna love North Korea for getting rid of south Korea (and all the American bases that are set up to take claim of the south China sea) then you see some fantastic Geopolitical Chess, Duerte in the Philippines is a master of this, he literally has right wing death squads killing people on a stupid capacity to "Get rid of gangs" i reckon a Unified Korea would start there and try to slowly gain control of the sea, using the "Human Rights" arguement to take on the Philippines, it would only be once Korea has built up a navy and truly turned that Chinese boarder into a death trap that their true power level is let out and they bring "Blitzkrieg" into the Asian Language.

Anyways, Continued;

But let's say you want to play with a retarded Korea, just read the art of war, Lets say they aren't smart but lucky, well their war tactics stay the same but rather than expanding via the islands they do so towards China, The Chinese have become increasingly Liberal, they even have a stock market now, which is somewhat new (80's) that market collapses and everyone is going to blame the new transformation from the "good" old days (Mao-Leninism) now, ideological debate aside we will see a new sino-soviet split that Korea, the current last bastion for international socialism will use to declare war against China - what does this mean and how could they win? Well, although Chinese political leadership may be liberalising, look at its military, who would the military be better under? Weak political leaders who are betraying the ideas that the army has bleed for? (Look up the November criminals if you want a comparison) so you could see a North Korean inspired Coup after a massive financial crash, if China crashes then so does the US, China provides goods and the US consumes them.

World crash, Korea can do what it wants because no one can afford to stop them, there are thousands of likely to very unlikely scenarios you can use OP, fuck all these idiots talking about how bullshit it could be, it's fucking make believe anyway, and for a board that constantly comes up with such cool alien ideas it's weird to watch everyone turn away from a very realistic scenario.

There are many other scenarios but ultimately make sure you get across that cult of personality weirdness and that almost creepy broken nature, if your guys go into a village EVERYONE is a hostile.

Watch how fast they turn to dirty tactics and basically start purging all North Korean NPCs then use every attrocity against them at a war tribunal afterwards as their paymasters turn against them.

Finally;

For extra fun make the bad guy enemy Officer cool as hell, I'm speaking fucking Solid Snake level compitent, just read the art of war and use that as a manual about how to play him, it's shit and old but guarantee your players will be outmatched with jus a bit of prep on your side.

Make the Officer genuinely care about his men and people, if your players are mercenary (Who are being played on the downlow by the international community to deal with North Korea) he will become a fantastic opposite of them, making them question their motives and maybe even trying to convince them to join his side.

Make him a grizzled old git who's survived every purge, committed numerous attrocities and completed every task with only his determination.

This allows him to become a recurring character, make every final fight come with an escape route, maybe he falls into a river, or is saved by his adoring men who mount a rescue, helicopter, sewage pipe, underground base you name it!

Why an officer and not just make the big bad the cult of personality man you may ask? Well, the officer allows them to understand the people they are killing, he uses speakers, radios, letters to taunt and tease them at every angle, while the Kim-Jong-(insertvowl) is a smiling happy poster and filmed leader this Officer is his front line to your guys, it also adds the illusion that the war is much larger than the player conflict.

At the end of the day you want lots of action, but you can litter it with those little moments that personalise the experience, like when they finally kill the officer you can add that "Enemy shares a cigarette" moment where he just wants to talk with those that bested him, all those slice of life military moments like playing cards, dice or being drilled, all of this while being surrounded by propaganda and terrible North Korean music on repeat.

Also imagine this piece of shit grinning at you with a toothless smile everytime the players fall for a trap.

So how much does Big Junk Pill pay you per post?

Just send them to the Middle East. You could do Syria or say that Erdogan was deposed and there's a big civil war now.

They also have cannibals and rape parties at universities.
I don't think you understand how Africa works user.

There's a great graphic novel series called "black powder red earth" about PMCs.

Should be good inspiration

>They also have cannibals and rape parties at universities.

Hey they caught up to our standard of living!

>why hasn't America won a war since WW2?
Why do people keep spouting this?

The big thing is America is great at the initial part of a war when there's a clear target. Like, if they just need to invade a country, take over the capital, and topple the government, they can do that.

The problem is when that isn't enough to win a war, and they go underground and start doing guerrilla tactics.

If North Korea was to get in an actual war with the U.S., it would be an absolute steamroll. They simply don't have the tech, manpower, or resources to out-muscle that.

The problem is afterwards, when you have a bunch of civilian refugees that are basically starving, and whatever remaining loyal forces that still want to try and resist things. That said, OP's goal of having them be a large scale threat doesn't work with that. Even if it bogs down the U.S. in a decade-long action to try and police the region, it wouldn't be a global thing.

Heck, it'd probably go better, since they could just have South Korea take over and then shovel funds their way for aid and everything.

My question was why people keep spouting this nonsense of "US has not won a war since WW2"

Were the Persian Gulf War, Grenada and panama not victories? Is it because of Vietnam and the whole shit today?

It probably is because Vietnam and Korea stuck in people's minds more, even though we technically left both of those as basically draws. Korea ended up right where it started, and Vietnam was the same, but we didn't have any way to enforce the peace treaty after we left.

After that, I think the other wars just stick in people's minds less, and then with the more current wars as well it just creates this idea that we're on a 'losing streak'.

This will probably persist until the U.S. comes up with an actual way to wage war against something that isn't on a map.

>creates this idea that we're on a 'losing streak'.
I get that. I just can't fathom why people would literally say that when history books repeatedly in vivid detail specific war victories and defeats. That very thinking seems to be endemic to Europeans.

Based Korea has a glorious leader who can swim 21 miles in less than ten minutes, can run a one minute mile, and is trained in every martial art.

They have advanced missiles that can strike any target on the planet earth.

Their army is equipped with secret weapons that will destroy all opponents.

With such strength, they do not need exaggerating.

No.

Absolutely nothing has come from those wars apart from more war.
Most countries go to war for some strategic purpose, like taking land or regime change.
America is just in constant war to find its military industrial complex, it sell guns to it's increasingly dumbed down populace, it sells guns to it's army and any other military force with a wad of dollars.

How many times has America had to revisit all of those places? It just can't finish the job on war, as explained by various Anons America curb stomps the shit out of any one, then it walks off, whatever it curbstomped picks itself up and then just starts using guerilla tactics, America who is tied up in international tape can't win a guerilla war.

The ONLY way to do so is to get rid of the people protecting your enemies, you can do this via propaganda or ethnic cleansing and everyone just watched America curbstomp the guy out of nowhere (from their perspective) so why should they believe him?

Because of this America may have won battles, it may have toppled dictators, but it has not won a war since WW2.

that sounds more like russia than anything else.

Don't recall having to revisit Panama in the past twenty years.

>you can do this via propaganda or ethnic cleansing

So like Europe through its entire history?

The MIC is not just america, its also russia, china, france, etc. I know America produces lots of weapons but these come in the form of sophisticated weaponry that probably carry more redtape and monetary cost than anything. Every single conflict to this day is filled with cheap mass produced weapons flowing from Russia or china.

>weak arguments.
>must be a trump voter.

please brush up on history. Whatever russian propaganda you believe in, i suggest you reread history books because you are a total crock of shit.

I had a MnM campaign set in Glorious Korea. In the year 2100 and some, after a mainly biological world war 3 and a decade of rebuilding.
Most cities were void of life, and Korea (formerly North Korea) stretched from some of India through a portion of China and all the way to the Russian border.

In the rebuilt cities, the setting felt like cyberpunk, but out of the population centers it was more wild west survival / horror with mutants or man made anomalies and hard wanderers and scrap villages.

Russia has been fighting the US in Geopolitical Chess over the middle East and winning, Obama even threw out all the diplomats at the same time Russia's Assad was cleaning up house in Aleppo.

Russia have also been building a fucking huge Northern trade route with icebreakers so it can absorb all those delicious trade routes that are stuck in the south China sea.

Russia is doing alright currently, Trump blowing the chemical weapons up has moved Putin to take a different approach, what that will be remains to be seen but Russia is actually doing good on the Geopolitical front.

What about that ongoing "War on drugs" that America will never win and that Panama helped explode, after the toppling of Manuel Noriega the southern America's became even more of a drug haven (Difficult considering it already was but) since Noriega had been removed from the international position it created a large power vacuum that still causes problems.

Just not going to happen. Any scenario that involves North Korea as a global thread is both shit-tier bad AND involves an overdose of magic space bats.

You can use it for regional conflict, as in - 2nd Korean War, but that's all.

Not sure if baiting or just wata

I'm not arguing the ethics but yes, just like Europe did throughout history and all the wars Europe has won because of that.

I agree that the MiC is far bigger than the US itself but the majority of weapons are from the US, you just have to search up online US arms sales and you'll get a bigger picture.

Sure after the fall of the Soviet union you could find an Ak47 anywhere, but if you look at America's retreat from Afghanistan where America just left loads of vehicles, weapons, compounds etc behind all of that has been and continues to swap hands from the Afghani Military into "Rebel" hands, $500 million worth of weapons went AWOL in Yeman.

>Resorts to "Name calling" because lack of argument.
>Voting for Trump is the worst thing you could think off
>Being this much of a Faggot

This is you, this pic is how you look when you use arguements like that.

Don't have to brush up on my history, we are living it right now, every day i get to turn on the TV, read my newspaper and find out how America has fucked up today.

Speaking of education did you know how shit America is on education?

To be fair all American races score higher than most countries where those races are the majority (so European Americans score higher than most European countries, Latino Americans score higher than most Latin American countries and African Americans score higher than most African countries).

>Inb4 "hurr durr nice picture"
nces.ed.gov/surveys/pisa/pisa2015/pisa2015highlights_3f.asp
Compare these scores to the national scores and you get pic related.

What's pulling America down is an increasing group of African and South American underachievers, but even they outperform their home countries.

Anyways back to the OPs question.

North Korea is an awesome Big Bad.

As for your "Windfall" this is the most important bit for your setting as it will define the regime your players are up against from a crunch and fluff perspective.

If Alien technical stuff how do they implement it?

If they find Oil do they become China's Saudi ?

Think about what you want your PC's to fight and what kind of fights you want then build the windfall around that.

Look at the birth rates my man
America is fucked demographically

It's just gonna get worse.

Also watch the voting habits of minority groups.

But let's keep this discussion for /Pol/

Let's talk about North Korean dick waving and how OP can make some cool bad guys.

Good choice!

They actually have a pretty decent military, and insane amounts of Artillery pointed at south Korea. Honestly all you need to do to allow them to become a regional power is to majorly distract the US and minorly distract china.

Just have global warming fuck the US so hard that our current political polarization turns into outright civil war. While the US gov't is trying to restore order, china is in the middle of a massive drought and a rash of islamic fundimentalism. This allows NK to steamroll SK (which they easily can if no one intervenes), and should give them breathing room to incorporate the tech they gain while everyone else is too distracted to innovate. If you're really feeling ambitious, have them take over Japan within a few years.

What about if, instead of/as well as building up Best Korea, the rest of the world suffers some sort of catastrophe from which they are isolated due to hermit-state status?

I know it's not exactly what O.P. was asking for, but in the WWZ book N.K. was destroyed by author fiat, otherwise it would've come out as one of the least-affected nations in the world due to fortified location & heavy militarisation.

How about basing the campaign on Korean invasion on Japan?
For decades SK readied their revenge. Then, after America withdrew from the region Japan started re-militarising. Soon enough they have sent their best and brightest to maneuvers in Korea - then SK turned on them and in one stroke crippled Japanese army and navy
Then NK provided actual foot soldiers for Japan invasion; heroes start in one of the last, symbolic US bases in Japan that is about to be erased in a symbolic gesture....

Severe cascade of economic downfall in the wake of their collapse.

Influx of refugees creates a massive strain on Chinese and South Korean economies, eventually weakening or even destroying their currencies. Other countries like the US soon follow suit, unable to collect debts or secure trade in the wake of anarchy.

So it's best to keep the unstable cult-dictatorship happy and satisfied, lest everything falls apart and the sudden burden of rebuilding a broken nation and a broken people devastates the world economy.

There is always "not rebuilding" option, though

Alpha sheepdawg PMC!!!

Because they need to capture the secret and/or stockpiles of biofuel to survive until they can manufacture their own?

Why don't you make it a serious game of Paranoia. Instead of Friend Computer, crazy North Korean Dictator God.

I remember a story from a North Korean defector about flowers.

When Kim Il-sung died, the entire country was stripped of flowers. To the point where groups of North Koreans realized if they're the first group to stop placing or leaving flowers of mourning they were screwed. THey would be suspected of disloyalty, never mind of the fact that are no flowers any where.. Entire families and villages grouped themselves to scour the countryside for flowers, even planning raids on other groups to get more flowers to place in memorial to the dead dictator. Some started manufacturing fake flowers to hide in the bouquets in the hope no one would notice.

The first group that fails to place flowers for the dictator get sent to the camps.

Can you group/family/village survive?

North Korea is the least threatening nation on the planet. Their IRBMs would be easily intercepted, as with any nuclear bombers. Their military looks like the Soviet Red Army circa 1941, starvation included. They've been in a famine for like, 30 years, and their economy is non existent.

You'd need some hard alternate history to make NK even in the least bit scary.

>They actually have a pretty decent military
See above. They have a decent military for the 1940s.

Clearly then, they'll invent time travel and invade the year 1930. They'll be 10 years ahead, and unstoppable!

>kimposting for fun

North Korea could never invade the world.

They have nukes though, and could try to develop modern technology so they'd become a threat to international security. Something the rest of the world would desperately try to prevent.

Think Big Boss and Outer Heaven, or Liquid Snake and Shadow Moses.