Unless the GM is autistic enough to establish a guide to local dialects in his shitty homebrew setting...

Unless the GM is autistic enough to establish a guide to local dialects in his shitty homebrew setting, there is absolutely no reason to speak in a stilted 'old timey' fashion when roleplaying. If it's a fictional setting, there's absolutely no issue with using modern language.

There's nothing wrong with calling the town guard 'the police.'
There's nothing wrong with calling someone with a bad attitude 'a jerk' or 'a moron.'
There's nothing wrong with using casual terms like 'super' or 'totally' instead of 'very' or 'extremely.'
I could go on and on but the point is simple.

My characters speak however they like and that shouldn't trigger your autism.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM&ab_channel=gardea23
dictionary.com/browse/thine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there are only so many times I can get to speak in old english without looking like a complete autist, user.

let me fucking have this one thing.

Who hurt you?

That's actually how I do language. Local dialects are all dialects of English. That way it's easy to add variance to characters and the language, but still familiar and easy to do as the DM.

You're the one from the Magic thread, aren't you?

Fuck, man, he's here. Who DIDN'T hurt him at this point?

There is absolutely no reason to speak using modern language when roleplaying. If it's a fictional setting, there's absolutely no issue with speaking in a stilted 'old timey' fashion.

My characters speak however they like and that shouldn't trigger your autism.

>PCs return to the village after cleaning out the goblin-infested dungeon
>"OK, we took care of all the goblins-"
>"Gnarly, bros! Those goblins were totally bogus! Dudes! These guys just totally killed all the goblins!"
>crowd: "Righteous!"

That's fine, but if you were writing a story and no one called the guards police, but a character did and only that character ever spoke like that it would feel a little out of place.

I shant believe anyone wilt have a care what language one uses at thine table.

But calling the town guard "police" is fucking stupid.

Actually, there is the issue of making yourself unintelligible to your other players.

If you don't communicate as clearly as possible using modern language, you're actually harming the gaming experience.

If you don't know what
>town guard
(to use OP's example), you are a retard, and you're actually harming the gaming experience.

Or youse a stupid ho

Well Trips McSevens, there is also the issue of making yourself unintelligible to your other players while speaking in modern language.
If you don't communicate as clearly as possible, even using modern language, you're actually harming the gaming experience.

My point is just that OP's autism isn't better than the autism he is railing against.

Except no, that's not true at all. You're only unintelligible if you make yourself unintelligible and "modern" language serves only to break everyone else's immersion if you're the only one who uses it.

I never get on people's case about that, though I make sure to always have my NPCs use less than modern terminology. It keeps the feeling of immersion present. If someone does say something like "Someone call the police," then I like to imagine that their character said the same thing with setting-appropriate wording.

I will say that many players do enjoy hearing "older" terminology in games, especially if you find obscure terminology for antiques, such as a sconce or a crinoline. This sometimes positively discourages the use of modern terminology I've found.

If it were historically accurate, you'd be speaking in fucking French.

I will never understand why people make threads to vent. I have tried but after my fifth sentence I just look at what I have typed and close out the tab.

>There's nothing wrong with calling the town guard 'the police.'
well except for that town guards are different from police in form and function so its actually misleading to refer to one as the other

>French
fucking nobles, we speak germanic

Old Timey French. The French the French don't understand.

Ah.
I know that phenomenon.
What you are experiencing when you close that tab is a thing called "self respect".
Don't worry, if you stay here long enough, that feeling will fade in time.

Well......fucking start ou manger ma bite. Anglo

How long will I have it? I have been here a few years but still find myself stopping just short of choosing an image and hitting that post button...

Calling the town guard the police is fucking dumb. Police has a very modern connotation, just call them the guards or the king's men, or hell even the constable.

This sounds hilarious as a setting, actually. Definitely not what you want as your go-to, but making a specific race or region more distinct, for sure.

>If you don't communicate as clearly as possible using modern language, you're actually harming the gaming experience.
[Citation needed]

>How long will I have it?
It's hard to say.
Not everyone arrives with the same level of "self respect", nor do they lose it at the same rate.
If you're looking to hasten the process, I can only recommend spending hours arguing with anonymous strangers over issues that don't matter.
Or you could explore the other boards, but that's not really necessary.

Sooner or later, if you let it, it will slip away and you will be free to shamelessly post vent threads.

And so the lord did say upon his flock

"BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER"

And yea, it was far out.

> Surfer-dude townsfolk
> gangsta rapping orc fratboys
> valley girl speaking princesses
> weebspeak elves
> dragons are so old, ancient and powerful they speak like Clint Eastwood and say nigger and no one can stop them
High School: The Adventuring is officially a setting I'd play

There's no reason to speak like a vally girl either, a neutral and correct dialect for casual speech exists.

It's totally understandable when spoken, just mostly unreadable.

Case in point.

Police doesn't exist in the setting, they're city guards, civic guards, sheriff and the sheriff's men, sentries, guardian lords, town watch or simply wardens.
The institution and personnel known as "police" doesn't exist and therefore the word holds no meaning.

To be fair, that's kinda true of a lot of languages. Written words change slower than the spoken word and French is a perfect example of that with how it's pronounced.

I always tell folks to pronounce French with a utter contempt for the last letter of every word unless it is followed in the next by a respectable vowel. The language has slurred heavily over time. English isn't too much different, honestly, just ask the folks of Gloucestershire.

This was very cool, thank you.

That one really pisses me off, cause police and town guards are not the same thing. We don't use the word police when taking about the law enforcement because police are a state funded group of professional law keepers. Law enforcement in ye olde times consisted of volunteers and militia for the most part, with actual state funded law enforcers few and far between, and responsible for such a large swath of territory they normally only showed up to take custody of already captured criminals, nail notices to things, and show up to court. Sheriff or Marshal would be more appropriate, and on top of that are modern terms to boot. The town guard would be more akin to the national guard if one wanted to use modern terminology and not sound like a faggot.

Are you having a stroke?

>that shouldn't trigger your autism.
sounds like yours has already been triggered user

GM makes up fictional setting, you roleplay to fit with that setting. If GM setting is old timey and your character is that way inclined, nothing wrong with it. If GM is doing modern, modern language suits well. Its about choosing the right tools for the job.
How did you manage to get so triggered over something that is so basic to get right - roleplaying to fit the setting?

I really love this book.

There is one valid reason for "old-timey speech" - if your character is really old. 400 yo vampire speaking in modern language is just bs.

Sheriff and marshal are not modern terms, but they did have different jobs in ye olde times though. A sheriff for example was in charge of something in a castle, I forget what, it's been a long time since read up on it

Why do you hate fun OP? Are you that miserable that you would not see others enjoying themselves?

BIG
TIDDIES

THIGHHIGHS AND TUMMY

POST MOAR, YUMMY YUMMY

creatures with different mouth, lip and throat structures shouldn't be able to speak human languages

Say that to my face not online and see what happens you fukking cracker

Quebecois?

By "Modern" I meant "Still in use" rather than "Invented in modern times"

Worse. New Brunswick.

You fucking liar. I refuse to believe there's anyone else on the internet that lives in NB.

I would be okay with this

Can anyone truly be said to "live" in NB?

At best, it's a slower kind of death.

I was going to ask 'what's your opinion on Moncton' to determine if we truly shared a province, but your answer is all I need.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry for my loss. Fuck Irving and maybe one day everything will burn to the ground.

Can't burn it down. Too fucking damp. Only hope is a sea level rise to bury the entire thing, like a shitty off-brand Atlantis.

>like a shitty off-brand Atlantis.
I can see it.

It's understandable as well (but very silly).

With a 22% HST and liquor stores open only on Tuesdays during June.

Damnit, now I want to play Bill and Ted's Righteous Saga.

O rly? U tink tht mdrn lang iz teh ezist 2 undrstnd? teh way u typ is s0 90s.

Except that our modern conception of police is very different to how old-timey sheriffs or local militias operated. The use of the older term communicates that difference.

There's also nothing wrong with kicking you out of the group because you don't understand what "atmosphere" and "suspension of disbelief" mean.

>High School: The Adventuring
>everybody's some variant of Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy.

So what are the alignments?

Righteous - Bogus
Tubular - Gnarly

"The PoPo snatched up our Alchemist - they thought he was 420 blazing when it was just a bad roll on a smoke bomb. We gotta break him outta the slammer cause they're fixin' to hang him."

>Dragons know Power Word: Nigger, which automatically stuns its target upon utterance regardless of skin-tone

>My characters speak however they like and that shouldn't trigger your autism.

As a GM, it doesn't trigger my autism, but it does confer to the locals you ain't from around these parts.

>implying parrotfolk language isn't just screaming weird harmonics at 120 dB
Nature's boom boxes are a bad example. Look at a dog: youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM&ab_channel=gardea23

five o
one time
po po
law
fuzz
etc

lots of "how many people do you know who use these" for cops.

>dog does not love man
>dog only loves woman

She probably took that knot.

I like invented colloquialisms in my games. Like calling the guard "leathernecks" after the thick leather gorgets they wear.

I swear to god, most women have fucked a dog. It's my own personal theory based on interactions with trashy girls in Central Florida, but I think it holds true across the world, judging from news reports.

Better this then other options.

>colloquialisms
That's a pretty fancy word, taffer.

Enjoy getting kicked from the game.

>obscure terminology for antiques, such as a sconce
tfw you learned English from playing fantasy games, and you had no idea 'sconce' was an archaic term.

I don't think it's archaic, just something most people would call a "light fixture". You can still go to Home Depot and get a sconce, just one designed for electric lighting.

The only way to defeat him is with the power of 90s diversity.

Bloody fascists.

The only issue that I have with is...

Both IRL and a number of D&D setting the town guard is a military or paramilitary force that may have some authority to in the realm of law enforcement. The closest analogue to the police is the town watch. Some places have neither, one, or both. Waterdeep and grayhawk have both for example.

Why does this matter other than that they are not the 'police'? Because town guard may very well have a different set, or sets, of laws they can enforce up to including pick which one on a case by case . A great example would be if a crime happens on a road. The local code may have it as a fine and a day in the stocks and the royal code for roads may have any 'bandits' facing on the spot summary execution. The ranking member of the town guard gets to pick which thing happens. Also if a incident that they do want to touch happens they may well be able to say that is 'not worth their time" and do nothing about it. Why? There is a very good chance that their main chartered job is the physical safety of the settlement from an attack not to enforce laws.

I think maybe basing anything that happens ANYWHERE in Florida might be a terrible judge of anything happening anywhere else.
It's like comparing all food everywhere to human feces because technically you can consume both; yes it's true, but it's not exactly fucking normal.

One axis should be Excellent - Heinous

For some reason I read this in the darkest dungeon narrator voice. Take that as you will.

You must be really fun to play with.

stealing that

this
you can use the synonyms you want, except when they're no synonyms

I think sheriffs (or shire-reeves) were in charge of ensuring taxes were collected in their shire.

If english then yes, if French then no. Among the french that was done by two different posts ( forest/private road law enforcement vs tax enforcement). The reasons why the English did that is because their nobles were very big on the idea of land use taxes.

I'm okay with replacing things like "the cops" with "the town watch", and "cash" with "coin". But if we go into full "thee, thine, thou" territory, fuck that.

>Sheriff or Marshal would be more appropriate

Based on where the crime happened a warden or bailiff would also make sense. Bailiffs in the 10th thru 13th century were mostly official salaried armed helpers of mayors and other low level figures of governance.

>The town guard would be more akin to the national guard if one wanted to use modern terminology and not sound like a faggot.

That is a poor analogue. but it some what works. Chartered towns and cities had a measure of sovereignty and the town guard was for all but the most rich of them their army. They likely have rights given to town guard by their feudal overlords but still belonged to the towns. National guard belongs to the Federal/Imperial/Royal government as the case may be. Feudalism makes sovereignty into a layered cake.

The closest analogue to National guard would be English Yeoman but even that is not a good fit. They are a professional yet part time armed force that is payed to be able to be called up in the event of need.National guard as we know it became a thing at the start of the napoleonic era.

Most people who try that do it incorrectly anyway
>"Thou" is casual; you still use "you" for plurals or when being formal.
>It's "thou/you [verb]est" and "he/she/it [verb]eth". The -st and -th endings don't go anywhere else.
>"Thy/thine" and "my/mine" depend on whether the next word starts with a vowel sound, just like "a/an".
>"Wherefore" means "why", not "where" (no, Juliet wasn't wondering where Romeo is)

I'd romance her pie.

>"Thy/thine" and "my/mine" depend on whether the next word starts with a vowel sound, just like "a/an".
WRANGO, they're both possessives but it's an adjective/pronoun distinction. Thy/thine works exactly as my/mine does now, i.e. "'tis thy hat" but "yon hat is thine".

All the other stuff you said was correct, though.

>WRANGO, they're both possessives but it's an adjective/pronoun distinction. Thy/thine works exactly as my/mine does now, i.e. "'tis thy hat" but "yon hat is thine".
It's used there too. But you'd still say "'tis thine apple", not "'tis thy apple".

dictionary.com/browse/thine

What is 'thee' for?

I propose a more general
> Power Word: Slur
because obviously dragons are old enough to know what would be the worst thing to call you.

Otherwise they just sound like a broken clock and go 'cuck', 'cuck', 'cuck'

They're not the same thing.
All sconces are light fixtures, but all light fixtures are not sconces.

A sconce is a wall mounted light fixture.

"Thou" is used like I/he/she.
"Thee" is used like me/him/her.

If that ever is an issue with your GM/players - you are playing with wrong people.

No, seriously, if they get triggered by shit like this, they are fucking retarded. It reminds me an old essay chewing up "fandumb" people, written by established name in the genre, which was basicially a long tirade how stupid the whole thing is. It worked even better in the original language, where one of the core examples was as follow:
"How can you be ok with a ruler being called a king in completely fantasy world, if the word for king comes from "Charlemagne". After all, there was no Charlemagne in that world, but you are ok with with having kings, even if there is no reason why they should be called like that".

No you lying fuck.
Thou is the second person singular pronoun. It's what was replaced by - and until its replacement was used exactly as - "you".
Thou is nominative "you"
Thee is objective case.
Thy/thine is possessive case.

"Thine woman"
"Thou should shut it"
"Lest I show thee how"