Opinions on Harmon Quest. I find it to be much more similar to an actual game of PF/5E than that crap, Critical Role

Opinions on Harmon Quest. I find it to be much more similar to an actual game of PF/5E than that crap, Critical Role.

Had me dying with laughter at certain places. Season 2 when?

I smell shills.

Question. How many people have seen this thing pop up on ads on YouTube?

Follow-up question... how many things have you seen advertised on YouTube that turned out to be actually fucking decent?

Final question. If it was really good, would they need to advertise it at all in order for it to spread?

I'm not a shill and I enjoyed it, /pol/-kun.

>Question. How many people have seen this thing pop up on ads on YouTube?
Never once. It's your youtube browsing history, friendo.

I don't know, but I think it's mostly me that has the problem. The only DnD podcast I can enjoy is Adventure Zone

Everything and everyone is shills. To to point where complaining about potential shills is pointless.

Why would I want to watch a bunch of sweaty neckbeards play D&D when I do that every week?

I don't watch ads so I wouldn't know.

>No
>None, but most of the ones I get tend to be for mobile games or random stuff
>That's not how marketing works. Word of mouth can only go so far. If you want to turn a reliable profit on something you sink money into, you'll probably have to put out advertisements.

It's bad.
It's humor is weak and very try-hard, and they're not particularly entertaining or good at playing.

>anyone that doesn't like this is /pol/

Oh so its atrocious. Thanks for the heads up, shill!

>reliable profit
And there's the catch. Harmon Quest is done for profit. There are metric shit-tons of similar videos all over YouTube, but they don't get advertised because their creators aren't just trying to make a quick buck off a demographic they don't understand. Harmon Quest saw what a success Critical Role has been (even though CR is still shit, just gold-covered shit) and decided that they would try the same thing. It is the Norm of the North of the D&D YouTube genre.

It's the Big Bang Theory of tabletop. It's not about the hobby of tabletop and it's not about you and me. We aren't the target audience. It's a normie show for normies. Which is fine, if you like it. Like whatever you want. But wikipedia sums it up pretty nicely

>The series has been likened to Critical Role, a web series streaming on twitch and later uploaded to the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel since 2015. Unlike Critical Role episodes which are longform, full-play D&D podcasts often exceeding 4hrs with low production value to cater to the more enamored and old-fashioned role-playing fan, HarmonQuest has been praised for its accessibility towards casuals and beginner audiences. Javon Phillips of the LA Times said, "The show makes its ventures a lot less time-consuming and ups the watchability quotient by throwing in animated segments in digestible half-hour episodes. Gamemaster Spencer Crittenden approaches the show as just that — a show. It’s not just players playing the game and showing off their multi-sided dice-rolling skills."[7]

>praised for its accessibility towards casuals and beginner audiences

>It’s not just players playing the game

its fun though. Also most of the guests sound genuine

That's not what he said at all you fucking faggot

The implication was clearly 'those who use the word 'shill' are /pol/ '
because no other board lives in a constant state of paranoid black and white persecutory fantasies where people saying they enjoyed things is not a real opinion, but a diabolical sign they are being paid by jews to shitpost on a mongolian shadowpuppet forum

OP here. I heard about it from a friend who is obsessed with all the shit Harmon does THEN started seeing ads on jewtube once I got interested in 5E youtube channels. But yes you caught me I'm a shill shitposting on Veeky Forums for pennies at 2 AM because I voted for Hillary or work for CorrecttheBlueRecord or w/e

Oh yeah it's totally scripted to fit into episodic little bits, but I think it's funny.

Although if it was just fully conceptualized into an animated series based off of a campaign I feel like it'd be better. Dan Harmon's already proved he can do great writing for animation, so I dunno why he would half-ass it.

On an unrelated note I really enjoy Critical Role. And not just because I love Matt Mercer and everything he does.

That's not the case at all. Veeky Forums has had to deal with rampant shills on numerous occasions, and they likewise spam other boards.

More importantly, shill is used with a broader definition on this site, and works to also refer to anyone who spams threads to advertise something, regardless of whether or not they are being paid to do so.

I'm the guy who called you a shill and, wow, okay first of all I'm not /pol/ I spend all my time on Veeky Forums and /co/. I'm the faggot that /pol/ calls /co/mblr and screams at. Let's all just take a step back and not go around throwing words like /pol/. We're all friends here. Let's all calm down.

>/pol/ are the only people paranoid about shills and shills have to involve the jews because otherwise my strawman totally falls apart

okay, shill. Whatever you say. I'm sure your D&D version of the Big Bang Theory is "totally ace"

I think its fun but it triggers me how only Spencer rolls dice.

>The Thomas Middleditch episode
>"I know how you guys do this but I brought my own dice and I'm rolling them so that's how we're doing this now."
>Roleplays better than the entire Harmonquest crew combined and knows exactly how to progress the story in an interesting and entertaining way

He's the best celeb who is into Veeky Forums stuff.

iirc, that's how Gygax did it. Some groups really do roll that way.
It boggles my mind, too.
I like it okay. The concept is fun, I think the DM does a good job of fooling with the rules to provide the flavor of a DnD session without bogging things down in modifiers, and most of the guests are fun. I'd like to see them do something long term with a set party, though.
Also, I wish Aubrey Plaza would come back.

>How many people have seen this thing pop up on ads on YouTube?
Why don't you have adblock yet you fucking plebian

She clearly had no fucking clue what was going on, but had the innocence of a new player just trying to have fun.

>fair village folk hear me, for I bring news of a deed most foul!
>The dnd based media made to entertain viewers has changed things to achieve that goal!
>where, I ask you, are the minutes of looking up exact rules? Why do they not every detail of the game? Why isn't combat stopped to make sure no one got a rule wrong?
>listen to me, this is an outrage and unacceptable!

Mercer is truly best husbando

behind grog

>If it was really good, would they need to advertise it at all in order for it to spread?

Yeah, if a restaurant's really good, they wouldn't have a sign outside telling people it's a restaurant or what they serve. What kind of good movie needs advertisements, posters, or trailers? They should just drop that shit into theaters and run and people would still see it. And don't get me started on those fraud musicians who just TELL people what their album's called and make it accessible: they should just drop it on Soundcloud in a random hexcode name: people will just naturally be drawn to it!

>anything that participates in advertising is automatically bad.

You fucking retard, the term was spammed on /v/ long before the current incarnation of /pol/ was created.

>And there's the catch. Harmon Quest is done for profit.

This is true of almost anything that's for sale in a market economy: RPGs, themselves, are primarily a profit-making enterprise.

I'm not even into DnD or PF, and I liked it. It felt like typical RP sessions, albeit far shorter than most.

>They should just drop that shit into theaters and run and people would still see it.
RIP Dredd you were easily the best action movie that year

>implying new-/pol/ isn't the exact same thing as postgamergate /v/
gee user I sure am sorry I attributed your pet buzzword to the wrong breed of shitposting political activist. Caring about what image board paranoid shitposters identify with is very important and I care lots about their feelings- I wouldn't want them to feel bad about coming into threads and derailing them with their offtopic bullshit!

OH WAIT

Yes a lot of fa/tg/uys both like and dislike the show, stop making this thread every other week.

Harmon Quest is shit, though. Critical Role at least manages to be entertaining.

It's clear that they're playing an actual adventure, just cutting down what gets broadcast into a 30-minute episode.
You know, so it's actually enjoyable, because it's fucking pathfinder, and fifty minutes of missing your to-hit rolls doesn't hold up as entertainment.
The episodes distill those moments from an rp session where you actually WERE as funny as you think you always are.

>he doesn't understand the google bubble

I do have adblocker, but I occasionally watch videos on my phone or tablet and afaik androd makes you use the app and that shows ads.

It's entertaining if you can ignore the urge to strangle Marisha/Keyleth.

>The implication was clearly 'those who use the word 'shill' are /pol/ '
And here I thought the most retarded thing I've seen today was the MOAB killing 30 Afghani's.

>BBUGH

Enjoyable enough. I feel like the gm railroads them a bit but then again they need to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

Seeing typical table shenanigans animated does make me kek sometimes though, I hope it keeps going

Are you literally retarded, you fucking retarded Mexican? Do you not understand how Youtube works?

That doesn't sound retarded, that sounds cool.

Really fun.
It focuses on the storytelling rather than actual rules and system. You can tell that the player's don't know any rules and that the DM just rolls some dice, fudges, and tells them what seems best for the story.
The girl is probably the best player. She constantly interacted with the environment and did fun shit.

Middleditch was awful though.
>hurr dicks, I jizz on your face haha

I thought the part where they were in the boat and the girl was like, "what race are they?" and the guy said I don't see through those lens was pretty funny

There are ads on Youtube? I ended up watching it because of Harmontown.

It was okay. Aubrey Plaza is a fucking THAT GUY and Justin Roiland is totally THIS GUY.

It's not sweaty neckbeards. It's Dan Harmon (Television Writer, Creator of Community, Co-Creator of Rick and Morty, Alcoholic, and Sweaty neckBeard), Jeff Davis (Whose Line is it Anyway), Erin McGaffey (Dan's Ex-Wife), the Dungeon Master Spencer (All around cool guy who was a Harmontown audience member who became a part of the cast), and a guest player every week (Pual F. Tompkins, Justin Roiland, Aubrey Plaza, Nathan Fillon, and others who don't know how to play D&D and are super confused everytime).

>Harmon Quest saw what a success Critical Role has been

Wrong. Harmon Quest came about because of the Podcast Harmontown, which began in 2012. Something like 12 episodes in, Dan Harmon wants to try playing D&D again for the first time since he was like 12. He picks a random Neckbeard in the audience who knows how to play, and then it became a mainstay of the show until it spun off into HarmonQuest last year.

For an entirely scripted show I'd hoped it'd at least have better jokes. Acquisitions inc still panders to normies but still manages to have some chemistry among its cast. Harmon's Quest players are obnoxious at best and the atmosphere is awkwardly sterile at that table.

I sent it to my gf and she really enjoyed it. She's interested in tabletop but has trouble visualising stuff, so having a simple campaign animated was good for her.

Now she's able to picture stuff she usually sits in when I'm DMing and really enjoys it.

I agree. Were it not for her, I'd probably watch it a lot, I do like how Mercer leads the game.

Saw the first episode and kek'd. The only thing I dislike is the GM rolling for every person's action, but the party is filled with noobs so it's understandable.

>not using an adblocker

It's a shittier Thrilling Intent with a thousand times the budget and a hundredth the talent.

Tried watching the first episode and didn't like it.

I don't like DnD, don't like that style of animation and I didn't find it funny.

If you don't like D&D, why watch a show that's entirely based around it?

All the people hating on this show ITT should nek themselves 2bh.

Listen to them play DnD on the Harmontown podcast and you'll find that the show is a step down but still good. Unfortunately, the show is hindered by Dan's ex-wife Erin, who is a shitty, tryhard attention-seeking whore that has no actual interest in the game. Dan and Jeff actually like playing and they're both talented, so they're usually way funnier. The celebrity guests are very hit or miss. Sometimes the genuinely nerdy ones are great (Hodgman, Middlevitch etc) but the women are usually absolutely awful for the same reasons as Dan's ex.

The show isn't meant to be taken as seriously as some 4 hour live stream try-hard shit like Critical Role or whatever bullshit Chris Hardwick does.

Because someone recommended it to me and a lot of rpg stuff is not exclusive to a specific system. For instance I liked The Gamers 1 and 2.

>Dredd
Why are we still here? Is it just to suffer?

It's meh, many of the guests suck and Harmon apologizes like four times for being a straight white male.

>Critical Role is bad
It's been great since they dropped Tiberius. Typical 4chins, hating shit because it's popular.

Shit, I'd watch CR for Matt Mercer, Sam, and Travis alone.

downloaded it all on some random torrent. Liked it a lot, funny and short.

it looks really bad from the ads on youtube so i have no interest in it

Why the he'll would he play with his ex wife? You two got divorced for a reason.

I think it was recorded before their marriage dissolved. That or maybe he couldn't get someone to fill her spot in time.

DM is a fucking hero, players try their best but come out invariably short except for fucking tactical goblin. Harmon's character arc (a gay coward orc wanting redemption) gets fucked up the minute he tries to make it funny or witty, and while he might make you laugh is the kind of laughter you question one or two minutes later because you realize his character might as well not be there, it's not needed. Erin is an ok roleplayer and ca/tg/irl but can't get the clue that she isn't playing some conan/hercules crossover and has limits. The only consistently good player and roleplayer comes out as the fucking tactical goblin, partially because fucking tactical goblin actually manages to think as that kind of player would and the DM enables him because of it (it comes out good but many won't like it at all).

Guest stars, I loved the fucking NE sorceror and this guy that played Castle was very ok for not having experience at all. Otherwise, no, bad players all around.

Overall the animators make a good work with the material they're given, and you can have fun as long as you can suspend your disbelief and most Veeky Forums standards, otherwise don't bother, it's going to be crappy for most people here.

Shills.

Nah, I saw a podcast with Dan Hermon when he mentioned it, and looked it up because I like Rick & Morty as well as Community.

Not an ad, but I've been recommended some good music.

I don't.

At least /pol/ has proof people are paid to go on places like Veeky Forums to push a narrative but plenty of boards use the term

oh man, I have 3 episodes before I'm all caught up.
I... kinda don't want to finish it. Because then it''l be done?

Middleditch is just generally the best at most things. He's fucking dope af

Harmon Quest is clearly staged while Critical Role is not. Harmon Quest is funnier and more accessible due to the more streamlined concept and the fact it is run by a smart comedy focused group. Critical Role is more authentic but is a utopian ideal version of D&D because it is run by voice actors and a very driven DM who is paid to spend time building adventures.

Personally I find both to be great. Harmon Quest is just an entertaining snippet of D&D that showcases the hobby to a more casual audience while Critical Role gives a rosey example of what D&D could be with a group of people who enjoy bracing roleplaying with a DM who emphasizes player fun over rules.

>this guy that played Castle
Seriously? Castle is what you know him from?

>Le shillz
>*tips hat anonymously*

>Harmon Quest is clearly staged while Critical Role is not.
What makes you say that? The streamlined quality seems to come more from the fact that the Game Master smooth things along to the next plot point at transition points rather than asking "What do you want to do next?" a lot. It still seems like the players are doing a bit of role playing and improvising.

Really the shill accusation is technically a form of ad hominen, it doesn't matter if someone's being paid to post or not their opinions are still just as valid. And does anyone honestly think any shill would ever admit that they were a shill? It defeats the entire purpose, you're never going to "catch" them. Best you can hope for is some slip up that gives it away (like misnaming an image) but even that could just be a troll playing with you, that's not really proof.

They definitely do operate on here though, people who deny that are just delusional. We just have no way of knowing which ones are them.

The Dm was good. Was good at creating situations that could be funny which made up for some players being unfunny or just awkwardly funny.

Rouge player was creative. The DM allowed him to dictate some cinematic bullshit but at least it was fun. Mostly awkwardly funny but caused ridiculous shit to also happen.

The barbarian was not a bad player, but had a dumb singing gimmick that was not funny. Had good character moments that brought out some laughs.

Harmon was oddly enough the worst for for as both a player and not being that funny. Being a punching bag and the worlds door mat isn't funny to me.

The guests had very mixed results.

It got better as entertainment as it went on, but I don't think it's a great example of gaming if you don't play for comedy sake.

>coming into threads and derailing them with their offtopic bullshit!
Sort of like exactly what you're doing now? How are /pol/spiracy theories on topic?

>it doesn't matter if someone's being paid to post or not their opinions are still just as valid.

Nice trendy relativism you've got going on there m8.

>They definitely do operate on here though, people who deny that are just delusional. We just have no way of knowing which ones are them.

There have been a ton of obvious GW shill threads recently with GW employees gushing about how suddenly awesome the nu-GW is and how well they engage with fans.

I always suspect any kickstarter thread too. The OP is usually appearing to neutrally ask for opinions, and that's the set-up for the shill replies.

>tactical goblin
I spit out my fucking drink reading this.

You haven't heard how much the bomb cost: literally 70 trillion dollars plus a few orphan souls. Damn it Trump!

Yeah, their guests often have never played before.

Which is what gets other people playing it.

Which increases playership and fan base.

Faggots.

>Nice trendy relativism you've got going on there m8.
That's not "trendy relativism" that's basic logic, why does an argument suddenly become invalid the moment the person voicing it is getting paid? That doesn't make any logical sense, just because most arguments shills make are terrible doesn't mean every argument a shill makes is automatically terrible, do you understand? I'm trying to point out how vacuous the shill accusation, is I mean what actual point are you making? If someone makes a bad point you explain why you disagree with it, why they offered that point is irrelevant.

It's not done yet. We have an arc or so to go before wrap up.

Do you think marketers are above having representatives post on platforms like Veeky Forums, reddit, tumbler, and other forums? Its cheap marketing, and if someone is advertising under the guise of being a genuine consumer, they are a shill.

Look at the post, () its a fucking commercial description of the cast.

Some people in this thread appear to be genuine folks, but that post looks like shilling, as does the OP.

Ehh, I also knew all that having watched it once.
Most of them are well known actors. And also Jeff Davis.

There is a difference between getting paid to advertise a product and pretending to be a consumer to advertising a product under the guise of genuine consumer interest.

Shills are no different than someone paying for positive product reviews, which is obviously unacceptable.

Imagine instead of a Youtube show someone was shilling for a mechanic, and you assumed the mechanic was receiving genuinely strong feedback on his/her services. You may end up having your car fucked (or worse case yourself) because you were lied to about the quality of the mechanic via shilling.

In this case the cost, is wasted time, obviously not as severe, but its still a lie.

You knowing the cast prior is irrelevant to the fact that the post looks like a commercial more than a real person from TG.

TG almost always calls people a sweaty neckbeard even if they are not.

>And there's the catch. Harmon Quest is done for profit.
Welcome to capitalism, dipshit

I like dan harmon. i'm not as much of a fan of their DM, but i do appreciate his story a lot, this dude just showed up to harmontown as a spectator, then they asked if anyone was a DM. he raised his hand and now he's all over the place. i can like that on a meta level.

It was alright, it had its moments.