EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

EVEN MORE DRAGONS edition

Previously on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What tribal decks do you run?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are there enough cards to make a tribal edh horrors deck?

I'd like to make that or some other unusual tribe based deck.

Saffi Soldier/Human Tribal is my main tribal deck.

I have a zirilan dragon tribal, but I don't enjoy playing it because if zirilan doesn't stick I end up losing very quickly since it has no early game. I'm planning to disassemble him and reassemble the deck as a Karrthus dragon tribal, so I get juicy removal and ramp to fill out my early game.

Anyone got secret Karrthus tech? Obviously I've looked at all the dragons available and I'll be packing the green/black staples, but any cute, non-obvious stuff would be nice.

Horrors aren't a terrible choice, since there is variety and a decent curve.

But theres no synergy at all between them, so it's kinda just a theme.

You wanna be dimir, but in terms of cool horror commanders, imo the coolest is Tsabo Tavoc, and she actually has a relevant ability for EDH.

alternatively you can run nightmare tribal with chainer, but he kinda fucks you more than he helps you.

>Anyone got secret Karrthus tech? Obviously I've looked at all the dragons available and I'll be packing the green/black staples, but any cute, non-obvious stuff would be nice.
Blades of Velis Vel is the obvious non-obvious choice.
You can do wonky stuff with Splinter Twin. It's infinite mana with Mutavault.

>Splinter Twin/Mutavault

Can you explain?

Velis vel took me a second, and then my face lit the fuck up. That's fucking incredible

>playing Karrthus dragon tribal
>proceed to lose to a single clone
>??????
>profit

Only way to play him is as finisher in Jund Stax

Heres a (You)

I think it goes like this:
>Animate Mutavault
>Splinter Twin on Karrthus
>Karrthus clone enters and is legend ruled out
>Clone's ETB triggers untap all of your dragons, including Karrthus and Mutavault

Keep in mind though that Mutavault only produces colourless mana and can't be tapped for mana first time in a turn it's animated, unless you control Karrthus of course.

Karrthus is pretty bad in EDH though, because clones are pretty prevalent. It's really hard to get rid of him after opponent has cloned him

Ah yeah I see how that works.

Probably not worth boarding mutavault and splinter twin for just that though. Maybe if I see some other combos with splinter twin I'll consider it.

If you're dumb enough to think a hasty 7/7 beatstick isn't a good commander 'because it can be stolen' I think you have to re-think how you evaluate EDH. If you really need some evidence here you go:

1) Pyroblast
2) Sac outlets (it's jund for fucks sake)
3) Homeward path + green land tutor
4) kill blue mages first (7/7 haste flying beatstick for fucks sake)
5) if you see someone eyeing your dragons just dont play karrthus like a nong
6) sometimes you will get blown the fuck out and that's actually fine. I have an aggro deck that completely folds to a well timed boardwipe but it's still fun to play and still kills cunts left right and centre.

A bad commander is something like pic related, because he's boring and doesn't do anything. Karrthus is a good commander because he makes shit go down. Not all of us are in cancerous stax heavy 1v1-centric 'competitive' commander metas.

first for THS block gods are best gods
She goes in Kruphix

>What Tribal decks do you run?
Xenagos is fatty tribal
Kruphix is big spell tribal
Ravos+Tymna is token tribal
For srs, I have a bad Thassa merfolk thing.

you're playing black, you can just kill your own Karthus and re-cast him

And I can see that from your post. Most black removal has the one problem though that it only hits nonblack creatures.
I realize that he's powerful, but if you don't have a Pyroblast/REB at hand and you're playing dragon tribal, you might get 1 shotted by a blue mage.

It's just that I've seen 2 Karrthus decks, and in the good one he was the only creature.
Only reason I play Bladewing instead of him, if because Karrhus' ability is scary strong and the ETB makes him fragile as hell.

The Splinter twin can be used to steal opponent's stuff repeatedly, in case you draw Blades of Velis Vel or anything else that can do that, or if your opponent plays a dragon or changeling for some god forsaken reason.

I'm not hating on Karrthus, there's just enough clones in my meta that he's pretty much a bomb that will blow in your hands.

I'd rather include sac outlets in response to opponent casting a clone

Sounds like a case of shit pilots. If it looks like clones and you have no protection, just dont fucking cast karrthus how hard is it.

It's not like dragon tribal is a fuckin tier 1 deck anyway.
I asked for suggestions, not commander choice criticisms. I wanna windmill slam dragon after dragon onto the field and smack some bitches down and as far as I can tell karrthus is the best facilitator of that.
Bladewing is out because he lacks green.
Scion is out because he's a voltron/combo commander pretending to be dragon tribal
Zirilan is out because I've played him a lot and he's either on or off, I want a deck that can have a decent game every game, and you don't need to even cast karrthus to do what I wanna do.

I've been avoiding talking about my Mikaeus deck the last year, mostly because it's pretty much obselete at this point (and far too expensive), but I just wanted to celebrate it reaching 2000 upboats.

Second deck on tappedout to reach that rating, and first EDH deck. It's been a long ride.

My friend made a 20 dollar ruric thar deck that is one of the scariest decks in our meta.

Fairly easy to shut down but it's basically double damage tribal, so often times you'll be sitting pretty and then next minute you take 60 damage and just drop dead.

I've seen so insanely many $20 budget EDH decks over the years, feels kinda nice to be the pioneer for a silly EDH "archetype".

>How would you avoid this guy from getting -1/-1 counters?
He's green. Run Melira. There are a ton of tutors that can fetch her, like Time of Need, GSZ, Worldly, and Summoner's Pact, not to mention the black tutors you can use to fetch your voltron elements, and plenty of other things those tutors can fetch.

You can also run some free sac outlets and command zone him in response. Unless you're fighting some sort of infinite Carnifex Demon monstrosity, at which point you're hosed without Melira.

I'm not trying to stop you from playing Karrthus, go ahead.
Best dragons already are R and B, dunno what green gives you besides Greater good and stuff, but go ahead.

>Can't be tapped for mana first time in a turn it's animated.
Are you implying that if it becomes a creature you can't tap it for mana unless it has haste? That's only true if you just played Mutavault that turn. If you've controlled the permanent named Mutavault since the beginning of your most recent turn, then you can attack or tap it as a creature freely.

Ramp?

Why is this allowed?

if i'm playing mono white i'm simply fucked

because the people that run mtgcommander.com can't be bothered to ban cards that should be banned because they don't want to actually keep up with the format, they'd rather just let everybody house rule ban what they don't like

It is for this day that Disk was made.

If i'm playing monoblack, can i still use this in my deck? I'm not familiar with those mana symbols

nop

So how does Queen Marchesa work in edh.
Does the monarch effect do anything?

it works like it did in conspiracy 2

better pillow fort it up if you want to actually keep that monarchy

Mad 'cuz bad?

THese are dual, as in he is Black and White but you can pay just black
, just white or a combo to use his abilities/Summon.

Has anyone managed to use hellkite effectively? I've found that he dies within a turn or two to mass removal.

>contamination needs banning
Yeah, no
Unless you're playing green, you should be playing mana rocks and green should be playing those anyway.

You can't. Color identity counts all mana symbols in mana costs and rules text (no reminder text), so you'll need a BW deck for that

Yeah, which Hellkite? There's 18 results for the word.
I assume you're talking about Tyrant, which is decent, but not really worth it usually if you don't play anything can turn things into artifacts

>better pillow fort it up if you want to actually keep that monarchy
Or poke folks to get it back, but forting is generally better. Luckily Queen has access to many of the best pillow fort cards with White and some surprisingly good alternates with Black (No Mercy, Koshkun Falls, Marchesa's Decree). Red doesn't add a ton, I mean there's Smoke and Caverns of Despair, but really.

Or, if your playgroup is hyper-aggressive about claiming monarch at all costs, you could just toss it out there with a gift tag reading "For the Fairest" and collect your assassins to ward off danger while the field kills each other over a howling mine.

'course all of this goes differently in the "Creatures can't win in EDH REEEEEEEE" meta, but at that point they'll just tell you to play Tazri Food Chain or GTFO anyway.

Utvara hellkite.

Building a kaervek deck, how much does it he get hated on and what can I use to protect myself outside of Crawlspace?

Depends on if there are scarier commanders in your meta. He usually gets removed pretty quick.
As for defense you have stuff like No Mercy and Silent Arbiter. Maybe Ensnaring Bridge if you plan on having a smaller hand

WHY i am banned?

Ensnaring bridge

Besides the boots you can use the equipment that gives him infect to kill your opponents before they remove him.

Because it reads
Tap: Add over 5 green mana to your mana pool
Any time beyond the fourth turn.

Consistency. Having 6+ mana turn 3 by default is pretty busted.

Kaervek can be a bit of a pubstomp: his high cost and limited defenses weaken his ability to actually be competitive but most folks aren't happy to see him. Crawlspace, Smoke, No Mercy, Ensnaring Bridge, Koshkun Falls, Baton of Morale, proactive protection like Contamination and Bottomless Pit, or Stax Elements like Smokestack, Tanglewire, Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Static Orb, Torpor Orb, Winter Orb, Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance (What I'm saying is that Stax players have balls...), and Board Wipes which you've got Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Mutilate, Languish, Disk, and O-Stone at the very least.

Red also gives you access to some hate cards like Smoke and Blood Moon. Plus the staples like Blasphemous Act, Vandalblast, and Chaos Warp. You could even run Possibility Storm to fuck with blue players is you build the deck for it.

I mentioned Smoke but the others are really good things to be reminded of. I don't think I'd use Chaos Warp with Commander Tuck dead, though.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to avoid the infect route for now but if it can't be helped I will end up doing it

Secret boardwipe tech. Disclaimer: Not for use against Tokens

How is it obselete? A deck is a deck.

Yes. Multiple activations of Zirilan makes for a lot of tokens.

I'm pretty sure mike is north of 20 himself these days.

>if i'm playing mono white i'm simply fucked
Nevinyrral's Disk is colorless and can solve that problem.

>What tribal decks do you run?
Bears

Oh shit, you post here? I really like that deck.

Wouldn't you be able to avoid the dmg by having kalitas or leyline of the void out?

Oh yeah, that one.
>tfw I have won multiple times with it, not by combat but through the fucking triggers from Scourge of Valkas
Bladewing is truly the Timmy of our dragons

X will be 0, at least, if you replace all the graveyards with exiles.

I've been shitting up these threads for years with my decks

I run Ayli clerics, Bladewing dragons, Gisa and Geralf Zombies&Wizards tribal and brewing the new Minotaur tribal. Ayli is just so much fun

how do you react to someone playing this?

didn't notice the automatic bolt, still nice but not exactly secret tech.

"Eeh."

It's a pricey card, but if I'm not going wide it's little more than annoying.

It's really the nonblack clause that sells it. Depends on your table but I'd gladly pay 5 and some life for something fairly close to Plague Wind.

I want to buy a paper version of my first EDH deck, but ive only played it on xmage where its a bit tedious and annoying. Its a brew but how would this go at a local EDH night.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
Recommend me some token protection or any good token producers. Considering countering boardwipes using lifeline as I usually win through burn spells if anyone has experience running it

really fucks my ass unless I get 1 of maybe 4 land destructions, means I have to wait and do all my shit in one turn also which blows. In a control deck with no creatures its pretty extreme.

are there any cards that tutor for Mana Echoes in R/G?

Fug I've seen this image tons of times and have never noticed that Mikeaus in it kek.

Because green is already the strongest monocolor and doesn't need mana god supreme to help them out.

Depends on the deck, but just "eh, whatever" about 80% of the time.

Gamble.
Planar Portal/Ring of Three Wishes/Planar Bridge.

Depends what I'm playing

>Marchesa Pillow Fort
"Thanks, you're a champ!"

>Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
"FUCK!"

>Feldon Stax
70% "OK, I'll just recur my Avalanche Riders or Invader Parasite or Orcish Settlers or maybe I'll just strip mine or wasteland or ghost quarter and use the Avalanche riders on..." 30% "Nice Mountain you've got there."

Been watching it since the $20 +shipping days, always nice to know that one of our own could accomplish something.

Congrats user.

Godspeed, I love that Grozoth deck

>What tribal decks do you run?
That's something I haven't really messed with in EDH. I guess Eldrazi since having a solid core of them makes sense in mono-colorless denial these days? I've been thinking about Gods.dec commanded by Karona, though.

I'm kind of new to commander, are there any cards in the amonkhet spoilers that I should be really interested in, beyond those monuments?

Like none of the legendary creatures really wow me and the gods suck...

As Foretold and the white Parallel Lives stand out. Lots of the aftermath cards are decent for a more casual deck too (Spring to Mind for instance).

This may be a dumb question but if you discard a card with cycling by other means then paying the manager cost does the cycling still happen?

>none of the ledgendary creatures wow me

-1/-1 tribal is cool as fuck
and the black girl that untaps is pandering to commander super hard

those gods are shit though

Rhonas the Indomitable is a pretty alright creature.
Vizier of the Menagerie has smoothing applications.
Kefnet the Mindful is pretty much just a source of draw so some decks can fit him.

If it's a proxy? "How dumb."

If it's not a proxy? "Jesus fucking Christ, dude"

WHAT'S YOUR DEVOTION EDHG?

TALLY UP THE MANA SYMBOLS IN YOUR COMMANDERS CMC

U 12
W 2
B 9
R 7
G 5

W 22
U 16
B 20
R 13
G 23

Selesnya and Monoblack are my fucking jams. Also Progenitus stuffing numbers.

Counting only what i Run RIGHT NOW, not what's in early construction, scheme town, or benched...

W: 4
U: 2
B: 5
R: 5
G: 2

Kaalia, Marchesa, Sydri, Feldon, Gitrog, Sidisi, Depala.

No it does not, dumb phone poster.

>-1/-1 tribal is cool as fuck
Yeah, I think she might be the big command zone winner of the set. Not only is she a really cheap component of fairly trivially tutorable infinites, but if she doesn't "going off" she's got a good control game versus anyone who wants to keep creatures in play

Call me crazy, but I think Approach of the Second Sun might actually go places in EDH. One-card wincons aren't common. In fact, the only other one I can think of is Coalition Victory which costs just as much and takes at least as much work while having a 5c identity. And it's banned.

>B 43

jesus fucking christ. i should probably fix that

So I have an athreos weenie tribal deck, and my playgroup has evolved where I can't slowly ping them to death with 1/1s while I kill their creatures with death pact. I want to fill it up with burn spells and just melt off their faces behind my wall of shitty little blockers. Any particular cards that do the best health murder? I am hoping with enough of it plus black market and such I can just sit back and shit pain down their necks.

You're not really getting burn in WB. It's more Tax Man shenanigains.

So Kambal? Wound Reflection could help, as would Quest for the Nihil Stone if you decide to own the board with some discard like Bottomless Pit. Painful Quandary?

I think my Favorite Play involving Utvara Hellkite was when I had Temur Ascendancy, Utvara Hellkite, and Savage Ventmaw on the field. I popped Cruicible of the Spirit Dragon to pay for a Hellkite Charger, plopped it down, and just swung away and ended up with like 48 dragons on field when I won. It was pretty great.

Is there a more patrician deck identity than orzhov stax?

are any of the precons worth it? I want to get my friend into EDH, so I'd be getting one that he could borrow

which ones have the best value/EDH staples/upgrade-ability?

I was actually thinking stuff like Drain Life and Hatred. Shit like that. I have a tax man deck already and I never get to play it because the folks I play with get really angry. They hate my Nath deck too. Like scooping turn three levels of hate.

W 13
U 11
B 15
R 11
G 8

U 1
W 2
B 5
G 4
R 1

I fucking love BG

Vizier of Many Faces, Mouth /to/ Feed, Cut /to/ Ribbons, Heaven /to/ Earth and the GX cycle lands are the cards I'd consider EDH standouts.

Cast Out, Pull from Tomorrow, Scarab Feast, Shefet Monitor, By Force, Dissenter's Deliverance, Rags /to/ Riches, Spring /to/ Mind and the dual lands are solid general-purpose cards if you don't have a large collection.

Anointed Procession, Angel of Sanctions, Gideon, Dusk // Dawn, Commit /to/ Memory, Shadow of the Grave, Combat Celebrant, Hazoret's Favor, Insult /to/ Injury, Harvest Season, Cascading Cataracts, Samut and the Gods are all interesting (mythic) rares that provide unique and somewhat open-ended benefits, but more of "in case" pick-ups rather than something important. They're either shit or exactly what your deck was looking for. Honorable mention here to the scry sphinx, drake enchantment and cycle demon.

Then there's a few unique un/commons that may be worth picking up just in case, e.g. Protection of the Hekma, Vizier of Remedies, Vizier of Tumbling Sands, Faith of the Devoted, Nest of Scarabs, Bloodlust Inciter, Benefaction of Rhonas, Manglehorn, Quarry Hauler, Aven Wind Guide, Wayward Servant, Onward /to/ Victory, Embalmer's Tools, Gate to the Afterlife, Sunscorcher Desert and the monuments, but at this point I'm grasping at straws.

And then pick up any of the Legends if you want them as commanders. None of them are all that impressive in the 99 except for the overqualified oppressed woman, but she's pretty color restricted. Blue, Green and White gods are "okay", Red and Black one needs a good excuse to be put into your deck.

R - 6
G - 5
W - 3
B - 3
U - 3

I've always been mostly Gruul.

W 3
U 4
B 3
R 3
G 3
hmpf, that worked out rather nicely actually