Where did the cliché/idea that dwarves are protective of their beards and that length indicates status and experience...

Where did the cliché/idea that dwarves are protective of their beards and that length indicates status and experience originate from?
How would you deal with a dwarven player having his/her beard removed in some way. Would there be negative effects or penalties to skills?

Would you think a dwarf without a beard might have penalties when talking to fellow dwarves, but bonuses when talking to humans?

Other urls found in this thread:

witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Racists
twitter.com/AnonBabble

From Tolkien.

I'd give it negative modifiers, similar to the negative modifiers that are given to menstruating women, non-white humans and LGBT characters.

Just copy those negative modifiers and put them on a dwarf that lost their beard and you've simulated the penalties that a dwarf should suffer due to beard loss perfectly.

In b4 the salt storm

I thought that since modern Dwarves were based on some Jewish stereotypes, the thing about never cutting their beards came from Hasidic Jews and their sideburns. Incidentally, that might also be the basis for a lot of fantasy settings having Dwarves braid their beards, but then again braiding just makes sense when hair gets to a certain length.

The fuck negative modifiers are those? No one would agree to play with that shit. None of those is a social stigma like the loss of beard is to the dwarves.

If you were trying to make a joke you just came off as retarded, and should head on back to /pol/ where you belong.

The joke is that there are no negative modifiers for those things and the idea of enforcing mechanical penalties for something like a dwarf losing his beard is ridiculous.

Damn, get that sand out of your vagina, dude.

I know. There will still be salt because we live in unfunny times.

>Would you think a dwarf without a beard might have penalties when talking to fellow dwarves, but bonuses when talking to humans?

not in middle earth, no. but it certaunly suits a great dorf to have a great beard.
in the witcher universe beards also aren't that great a deal, they just, you know, look good on short stuff.

first time I encounered dwarfes who were fanatical about their beards was in WFB universe, but I am rather young for my age. to my knowledge tolkienic dwarves aren't THAT protective of their beards, they do honor a good one, but aren't dishonored if a beard gets damaged in battle etc

Thanks for the entertainment you stupid newfag.

But that's not a joke. A dwarf losing his beard would be like someone losing their hands within a dwarven community. Pity if it was by accident or force, scoffing and cries of "lunatic" if the dwarf did it to himself.

It would/should have some serious repercussions within a dwarven society or among other dwarves. If it's also a symbol of experience and pride, it's even closer to being castrated.

state the universe you're in pls

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that every dwarf in every setting ever valued beards so highly.

This is ridiculous. You might as well impose social penalties on elves for not having pointy enough ears, halflings for shaving the hair off their feet and tieflings for not having sufficiently idiotic horns or obnoxiously red skin.

Sounds like standard D&D.
>in the witcher universe beards also aren't that great a deal
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Racists

If beards aren't a big deal, why are humans intent on shaving a dwarf's beard to punish him?

ITT: Clean-shaven hipster dwarves sipping unicorn milk lattes and texting about #NoBeardMovement

You don't give your PCs penalties for not having pointy enough ears???
I always give them at LEAST a -2 modifier.

Indeed.

I feel slightly ill reading that.

Manlets have to compensate somehow.

>The remarkably thick hairs of the male dwarf's beard are a marvel of biology. Each hair contains millions of sensory receptors of incredible diversity, including but not limited to hairs that gauge humidity and air flow, hairs highly sensitive to the presence of alcohol, air pressure sensing "Bad Fun Decision" hairs that are hooked directly to the brain's pleasure center and chemically reward dwarves for digging deeper, and even hairs that produce more and more vitamin D the longer a dwarf spends underground, to the point where any solar contact at all results in an overload of vitamins and immediate nausea. The only sense that dwarven beards lack, are heat sensors.

>Dwarves also use their beards to procreate. Female dwarves use their long, luxurious knuckle hairs for the same purposes.

funny, since I was thinking of Zoltan while writing the post. they just wanna humilate him, and what better way to do but take sth he care for away from him? except rape, ofc. but it's not like he'd choose his life over his beard. its demaning, sure, but it'd be as demaning if people irl would forcibly try to shave off my glorious full beard. I'd put up a fight, but not to the death, and I'm too big and not muscle-y enough to be a dorf.
point is, don't shave people against their will.

>I know I chose to play an elf for the extra dex but I decided to have human ears since we'll be spending most of the campaign in human lands and I want to blend in easier
>you can't say I can't do this or it's bullshit and you're god modding

>but I am rather young for my age.
Wat

Just a few years ago he was even younger than he is now.

It comes from human societies. In many haplogroups that have robust facial hair, it's a symbol of masculinity. Shaving became popular when Alexander of Macedonia aka the Great decided he was concerned with enemies playing dirty by grabbing beards. At least, that's the lesson.

Experimental biologists and experimental psychologists together shown that across the board in humans, beards- real beards, not neckbeards- are perceived as more masculine and intimidating. Most hypothesize it's because of the way it enhances the jawline.

In surviving cultures such as the Amish, Jews, etc, if you shave another man's beard, it's emasculating. Retaliation is to be expected.

You can't inb4 your own post.

I'm not salty. This is Veeky Forums. We laugh at our own misery of we sure as shit should do.

I have no appropriate anti-salt pictures. Have some Jasmine.

So you're saying that nu-Veeky Forums hates dwarves because they can't stand a race that is masculine and has pride?

Because dwarves are jews. Jews have religious laws about their facial hair. This was reflected in dwarf beard culture.

Damn that was a hell of a leap in logic. I'm actually quite impressed by how far you just stretched beyond the initial premise of the conversation to try and push your agenda.

In most cultures that prize beards there is usually an underlying religious component to it.

What if it just looks plain better and a shaved man is basically a woman?

If you require a beard to demonstrate your masculinity and differentiate yourself from the weaker sex then in my opinion you barely qualify as a man. Must be one of them sissy androgynous types. Real men don't need a beard to show they are men, it is readily apparent regardless of facial hair. That being said a proper beard is by no means a bad thing, and is certainly a masculine trait to have. It is simply not required.

Wait whose /pol/ here, the one's who say there's social stigma for being those things (something SJWs are quick to say) or those who say there's no stigma?

In my setting beards are quite symbolic in the orthodox dwarven society. It's a theocracy, and leaders commonly grow their beards as long as they can, and even the female leaders braid their hair into a pseudobeard and/or wear prosthetic or symbolic beards. The lower castes often wear their hair quite short, not only for convenience, but for risk of overstepping their importance and coming into the ire of an upper-caste member or other superior. In the largest protestant civilization the beard remains symbolic of wisdom and status, but prosthetics and essentially powdered wig beards are common and fashionable, and lacking a natural beard is not seen as an issue.

Sikhs

lol
Thanks for the laughs, idiot

I was thinking of playing a dwarf bard who had an unfortunate accident and is now "the dwarf with no beard!"

Child, it's the penis, the primary sexual trait, that makes a male.
Secondary and Tertiary traits (such as facial hair) are barely more than ornaments to attract a mate if one lacks real merits.

maybe if the dwarven culture values the beard too much, they should recieve a charisma penalty due to the shattered self esteem due to the loss of the beard

>being gay was a crime in most states up until 1960s(or later)
>apartheid was a thing until nineteen-something
I'm not sure what to say about menstruating women, but still, you get the idea

if there's a setting with social realism, that should be applied. if some NPC is racist, and the PC is interacting with them, he should recieve a penalty. it makes sense.

same thing for un-bearded dwarf talking to other dwarf.

t. newfag