Renown edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Fair point. Does this feel more piratey?

Bonus removal.

I'll as again I guess.

Ar those fine? I'm especially asking about Guldfaxe, I want to have at least one uncommon legend per colour but don't want them to be overpowered.

Reposting in the new thread with suggested wording fixes. Other feedback, as always, is more than welcome.
Looting on hit certainly feels piratey. Are you doing anything with gold tokens or clues? Maps and treasure are both pretty piratey, and if you used both it'd be easy to work an artifact subtheme into the set (especially with the vehicles you're already using).
To the Gallows is weird in that it shows a guillotine. Cardwise it's fine, but that art-to-flavor disconnect is noticeable.
This feels a bit boring. It's lackluster unless you hit renown, and even then it's nothing more than an efficient beater.

Bushido still doesn't feel right with pirates.

I don't have other ideas for the blue uncommon legend. Figuring out this card's desired power is a pain as well.

Are you making a set? What are its themes? Mechanics? Large set or small set? How many commons/uncommons/rares/mythics? Monocolored? Enemy pairs? Allied pairs? Shards? Wedges? 5color?Do you have a set skeleton?

I love red, but I don't like the choice of design for creatures that Lightning Bolt forces upon them, if you have less than 3 body, you are screwed because LB can can kill any creature with just one mana, so I just came up with this, it's not meant to be incredibly strong, but what do you think?

Recap:
It's a top-down Norse Mythology big set. It's Mechanics (at this point of working) you can see on the picture.
It has a Legendary theme, similar to Kamigawa, but far lighter on the rare side of things. There is a skewed cycle of legendary uncommon creatures (white has 2) as well as 1 uncommon legendary artifact creature and one legendary common creature (waiting on more feedback on this one).

It's primarily monocolored with a cycle of enemy-colored gold cards and a cycle of mono-colored creature that recieve bonuses if an allied basic land is on the battlefield (the green one is Hedge Troll from Planar Chaos).

I'm aiming at 259 cards: 91 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares and 15 mythics.

Define set skeleton.

>Bane
No problem, I know you like knowing when cards are finally done.

>Envious
Yeah it's not something that can get as dangerous as Prowess, but it does combo with Prowess, so that's nice. I also considered making it +1/+1 for each card that opponent has in hand more than you have, but that seems like too much math for an evergreen. I dunno about the Slith ability since while all colors get +1/+1 counters, blue is the weakest color in them, and black is second weakest, so it feels off to give them counters out of hand like that. Though, blue does tend to use them as a resource but that's going to make commons difficult to design.

>Jealousy
Yeah when thinking these keywords up I tried my damnedest to go at it from the angle of "not another evasion keyword" and "what do blue and black share or could potentially share that's keywordable and isn't mill?". Their ability to steal cards and cast them using any color of mana lead me to consider the fact that UB loves secrets because it's covetous of everything it doesn't have. It wants to have it all, and be the biggest brain around. Superiority complexes breed envy, so I ran with it. Glad it translated.

Card for reference.

>common legends
Ehh... not my cuppa. It's funny for a design challenge but not so much for an actual set. Maybe use Grandeur if you're going to go for it? It'd fit, especially since it seems your theme is Norse mythology.

When I think of pirates, I think of something like Frenzy being a better keyword for them, because it rewards "getting in" and that's kinda what pirates are all about. Sure they are vicious when you confront them, but the payoff is in the heist, and most of them, while able fighters, are not very disciplined and the fluff baggage that Bushido and Parry have is that they represent combatants trained from a young age to specifically battle other warriors.

Not a bad card, just not really inspiring either.

(cont.)

Actually Grandeur might be a good idea. I'll think about it.

(cont)

A good idea, but way too cheap. That's 5 damage for RR that gets to hit two targets. Too much utility.

Also we don't see much Lightning Bolt anymore because Searing Spear is the balanced version, and Shock is what they seem to be aiming for for one mana red removal, which is fine because it balances well against cards like Disfigure, while still being better since red is better at burn.

Okay, now I can get to these.

>UR01
Oh gosh. This is really strong. I'd make it a rare.

>UR02
Seems spot on to me.

>UR03
Nice combo for UR. I hate you for making it look so easy.

>UR04
Hm, a blockable Fireball. Fine by me. Compares well to Spark Elemental because it scales well into the late game and isn't temporary.

>UR05
So a 3/4 spread across three bodes, two of which are Mogg Fanatics but in ramp flavor, for 3 with additional upsides? Hm, not sure about the power level here. I'm not sure an additional mana is the answer; maybe 1RR and RR for the Evoke?

>UR06
Ooh, spicy. We don't see enough of red's "turncoat fight" ability, so I like this.

>UR07
Seems fine.

>UR08
Very nice, but I thought the point of the 2brid mana costs was to activate your CMC5 thing?

>UR09
Perfect utility spell.

>UR10
>literal suicide bomber
Oh wow. It's also really mean to toss on your finisher. Keep an eye on it.

>UR11
I feel like this was changed slightly since last I saw it, but I recall liking it then and it seems okay now, but possibly a bit pricey either in terms of casting cost or activation cost. One or the other feels like it needs to be pared down slightly.

Overall, pretty good Timeanon.

Red doesn't get flying often enough to lend it to a non-Dragon card, I don't think. I also think you can just say "Whenever @ becomes blocked". Not sure about the pingstrike AND mana ramp though. Seems a bit much overall.

>Red doesn't get flying often is we exclude dragons

Well, we had examples of Vampires and flying Goblins in the past.

>Too much utility for RR
You need to consider that it's not 5 damage, is 2+3, and it's quite different. 3 Damage to a player for R is quite normal these days, and shock being shock doesn't kill all threats as intended, also, if you play it early you don't develop your board and you will stay behind as a standard red player, if you play it later its value automatically decreases. At least, that was my reasoning behind it.

Red is still tertiary in flying at best, and only on limited tribes for the most part. There are some exceptions but I don't think that card is a valid one personally.

>utility
It's also one card. Keep that in mind. When you get the ability to face a player for 3 AND remove a creature with 2 or less toughness with one card, that's a big advantage in terms of utility. There's a reason the Charm spells are expensive for what you get; it's because they are what you need when you need it all on one card. Compare what you made to Chandra's Outrage, for example. It does 4 to a creature and 2 to face, so it's more valuable removal, and less as a player burn spell. Yours is 2 mana for 2 to a creature and 3 to face, which is a bit less valuable in terms of killing creatures, but only has one less point of total utility for 2 less mana. Normally utility goes up as costs go up, so what works at 4 mana doesn't inversely work at 2. That's how I'm looking at it. I guess you'd have to wait on more feedback to see what others think to get a better spread of opinions.

Also, for the record, there's one monored flying Vampire. Not much of a precedent. The rest need black to get flying, which is secondary in flying and has a stronger tie to it, so it giving flying to gold cards is more permissible.

If you don't want Bolt to make some creatures unplayable just reprint Shock and add some incidental burn to your other red cards.

Envious seems more BR than UB.

Too cheap. It's both a better Shock and a better Searing Blood and doesn't pay anything for the flexibility.

Gallows is just a worse Murder.

>more BR than UB
I get the Hellbent angle, and I mentioned it last thread. I think the difference is that BR wants to play EVERYTHING it has as aggressively as possible, while UB would rather toe the line and use cards when it needs to, relying on its fairly strong draw to keep it supplied and not topdecking while keeping Envious active. It's a little less straightforward, so I figured it was a decent fit. Plus they are making U more aggressive these days with Prowess and better low CMC creatures so I figured it might fight the new design paradigm I think I'm seeing.

>fight the design paradigm
I meant *fit* the paradigm. Sorry.

Card that was modified from another game to sate my curiosity (Notably, how well do these translate to magic?). What do you guys think?

Permanent ramp isn't red. It's also too cheap, or too big for the cost.

Normally, searching out lands is both a Green thing and it's on enter the battlefield, not on cast.

Typically green does land ramp like this, so I'd say it'd be better off in green, but would probably need a flavor change at that rate, since a fiery elemental of burning isn't very green, but mechanics trump flavor most times.

Now, red also gets ramp in the form of ritual effects, so you could have the elemental do something like make Mountains you control add an additional R to your mana pool whenever you tap them for mana the turn it enters the battlefield. Cost would need changing at that rate but it would fit red really well.

On cast was a conscious choice, so the effect won't trigger if the creature is cheated out.

It'd presumably be part of a cycle of land tutors for each color. It may be less offensive to have them be manadorks or add mana in some other fashion though, it's true.

Read the nuts and bolts design articles.

Ok, what if I make Lightning Shock a Sorcery?

To tell you the truth, I think making the Entwine cost 2 generic mana would be fine.

This stands to lock you down quite a bit if things go sour in your matchup or your opponent is aggressive. Not sure how I feel about it.

I know. The upside is that it's immune to removal and that it's 4 hasty power for 2 mana. Though I myself am not sure if he's balanced.

Name, image, and flavor text are all obviously a joke, but the effect is intended.

>to the gallows
>picture is a guillotine, not a gallows

The idea to make this Legendary has crossed my mind, if it's currently too good.

It's good but slow. I don't think it needs legendary.

Hall of Blood
Land
Whenever you take damage, put that many charge counters on ~.
T: Add {C} to your mana pool.
T, remove three charge counters from ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Hall of Knowledge
Land
If you would draw a card, you may instead put a charge counter on ~.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if ~ has a charge counter on it.

Hall of Power
Land
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, put a charge counter on ~.
T, remove a charge counter from ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Here's a weird ritual variant (my block has ritual effects back in black, shared with red).
Thanks for the feedback, user! I'll take those points into consideration.

I actually like it, it makes every Johnny cry.

me included

I kinda like this. It could be GW as well, but it's totally fine in monoG. It might be safer at 3 counters but it is a three mana investment. I'd have to hear how it played, honestly.

Man, I have tried to come up with a similar land before, but this is more elegant than anything I managed. Good show.

Black gets convoke on its own as per M15, so you could make this monoblack if you wanted. It's fine as-is though. Power level should be alright.

>feedback
I hope it was useful somehow. I always get the feeling even though you thank me for it every time it's not terribly useful to you overall.

Fuck Vigilance: the Card. I feel like it could be monoR, but again, as with many gold cards, this is fine too. I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet.

So if I've got this new mechanic I might as well use it and see how it feels on some cards.

Crystal Cavern user here. Thanks man, I've been considering how to do a fair multiland for awhile, and that's the best I came up with.

Only tweak it needs is to change the 1 to a colorless symbol. Then it's good to go.

I wanted to make this common, but I don't think I can get away with it.

>To the Gallows
Sorry, but it's trash. At that cost, you could make it say "Exile target creature."

Pretty certain I've seen Final Stand before. None of them really stick out to me one way or the other.

>Bane
Well, I only really get like that when the cards make me start pulling my hair out. Currently at that point with Doctor Strange. Or Colin here. I think my biggest problem is balancing the transformation while still keeping it interesting.

Seems like fun.

Whoops, missed a link.

I'm trying to figure out why you randomly capitalized beginning, and drawing a blank. Just a slip of the shift key? I know you've been brewing long enough to know better.

I dunno why you're having issues with Abuse (that sounds strange to say...). Not every hero or character is flashy. Some are just bricks or fly or are smart or shoot bow good. No sense in stressing yourself over spicing something up that's canonically vanilla.

I'm not sure if Magic Set Editor can do that. I checked the program and the website, and I wasn't able to find anything. Am I just ignorant here?

And yeah, that thing screams Uncommon to me. It'd have to lose one ability or the other to hit common.

Well, since the second ability doesn't work without the first, I figured it was clever. Sort of. But yeah, I'm fine with it as it is.

For colorless mana, try [C].

Previous version had Prowess, felt kinda superfluous so I took it off for now. Not really sure on the ability, just had the idea, but I kinda like the flexibility of it.

>Just a slip of the shift key?
Yes. Didn't even notice it.

Yeah, I do have issues with letting cards not be flashy. I call it Complexity Addiction. OK, I'll move it to the finished pile then. Thanks.

Works fine for me.

If Abuse takes 4 damage and transforms into Colin, he dies.

Thanks. Fuck this card.

Just change it to a "beginning of each upkeep" trigger on Abuse to mirror Colin and to fix the issue.

I think I'd rather see this as +X/+0 instead of direct damage, but I dunno that much about The Question and I dunno that much about that sort of effect. Also, is a card that comes off the library the same object that goes into the graveyard? I know zone changes can affect the game's memory.

Ouch. For 9 mana? Yeah, sure. I'd put some kind of anti-cheat clause onto it, but that's just me.

I think this is way too good. GG turn 1, CG turn two isn't that big a drawback.

"Enters the battlefield". Also straight destruction is a black thing, not red. It'd be better as a BR card as a result.

So I said I'd do Prowess + Envious, and here it is.

>Also, is a card that comes off the library the same object that goes into the graveyard?
Technically, I doubt it, but it doesn't really matter anyway since effects like this keep track of the card as it changes zones.

This better?

Yeah, but I think it probably needs to cost more too. Also it should probably be Legendary. Terminate is BR to destroy a creature flat out, and a 4/2 first striker with haste would probably cost at least 4 mana, so... 4BR for the whole package? Would make it a bit easier to cast as well.

Not the creator, but double colored cards are harder to cast, and this also has double colored mana costs. I would remove first strike thou.

I'm new to this which was probably obvious, is this reasonable?

>Le Eldrazi are degenerate :^))))
Fuck off

Don't forget artifacts, user!

3BR
4/2
Haste or first strike
Etb murder.

I almost forgot about those! And all those degenerate elves! God! Can WotC NOT ruin the game with balanced and answerable cards? I shouldn't need to put a set of PoE's and counterspells in my shitty $50 deck just to compete at the pro level!

It's a goddamn joke card, calm your tits.

>Make card that targets the competitive stuff
>I-it was just a joke!

>angels and demons are both tier 1 competitive decks that have won multiple gps
Or it's just all the people in shadows block that want humans dead, that Rem is known for murderfucking.

I don't really understand the idea behind this. Feels off that the people who get the tokens don't correspond with who's actually casting the spell, but that could just be me.

Why does Roy make servos?

He made robots ("Roybots") in RHatO.

Eh, will the counters even be worth it after you give it the support to deal damage?

You shouldn't have X refer to two different values on a card, unless they're mutually exclusive.

Had an idea.

Bump

bump

I'm away at relatives. I'll make some cards later tonight. Happy Christian Appropriated Fertility Festival.

CO user here, I'm in the same boat. Plus, I have work later. Won't be on comp until much later. Happy Zombie Day!

Not bad. Lifelink may be a bit too much.

I exile Death Shadow, gg I won.

Waiting for power level opinions

How bad of an idea is this?

So now that the dust has settled, who did not!Egypt better? Wizards or that Veeky Forums guy?

-3 is OK. Everything else seems underwhelming.

Added some self-enabling abilities, just in case there's anyone that wants to use them separately or something.

Coin flips aren't very blue, if I recall.

Coin flips are Red and Blue/Red gold card, but I needed a way to make it self-sufficient for those people that like to make decks for cards with Partner that aren't the intended ones or that only use a single general, even with partner.