So what other campaign ideas and plot hooks could you do in a live-action toon setting besides a buddy cop film?

So what other campaign ideas and plot hooks could you do in a live-action toon setting besides a buddy cop film?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Feltpunk
youtube.com/watch?v=pT3E0WgXDNE
youtube.com/watch?v=uPk886Uz6Aw
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=toonpunk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you me, cause I was just thinking about asking for help with a toon and human setting I've been working on.

That said, there's toon and human conflict, or perhaps something with how toons came to be.

Figuratively anything. Just take the thing and make it a little zany.

Want a heist game? Ocean's 11, but zany.
Want a racing game? Fast and Furious, but zany.
Want a supers game? Zany.

Just take regular game, and make the motivation something only cartoon characters would care about, or make the solution something that only works in cartoon physics.

Zootopia for crime drama.

Cool World and Looney Toons Back in Action come to mind, for conceptual reference material.

Who Killed Roger Rabbit?
Who is Roger Rabbit?
Who Married Roger Rabbit?

Science fiction. Seriously, think about it: Toons are virtually immune to physical damage. Vacuum, temperature extremes, radiation - all that wouldn't hurt them. They'd make the perfect explorers. Humanity would be all over them during the space age.

What about a shadowrun type of situation, where a good chunk of the population had been tooned?

Reflections on the Ink, Walt Disney:

To those of you who find yourselves like me, I'm sure there are questions that come to mind.
What is this power that I hold? Why has God give me such free reign to create?
What is the purpose of such limitless creation?

In our hands, the ink is not the simple tool of any animator or simple artist.
The ink is not even itself anymore. For the first time, the ink has become Ink.
The power of our creation no longer lies simply on the page to play out before us,
but through our minds, bodies, wills and sketchpads.
And this power is ours alone to hold and bring unto the world.

I fear that, in our time, there are those who would pervert this discovery.
Those that would use the power of the Ink beyond entertainment.
I will admit, since I discovered it, there have been moments of temptation.
Lapses into greed and madness where my creations twisted and reflected this horror.
Pete, the one you all know, is one such creation.
While still not evil, per se, he is simple rage and aggression given form.
He attacks, steals, lies and cheats for his goals and I must wonder...
is this an echo of my own mind? Do I truly with for such a world to live in?

Time and time again, I remind myself of the contrary.
Before him, I gave rise to Mickey. The very epitome of light-hearted discovery and animation.
His wonder is incredible. Coming from the Ink, it was like watching a toddler move into the world,
full of wonder and curiosity. If he is indeed an echo of my own mind through the Ink,
perhaps this is a show of my own incredible awe of what I had found. The awe of creation,
perhaps the very same one that possessed God upon seeing all of his creation spread before him
on the seventh day.

On Mickey, I find him much like a child. His wonder is pure and innocent, and he learns quickly.
Already, language is not lost upon him. My words are met not with words in kind,
but gestures and a kind of weak sign language.

Occasionally,
small notes or lines will drift from his mouth on speaking. My own old habits dying hard, I suspect.
Perhaps someday he will speak to me as I have spoken to him so frequently.
Perhaps he will tell me what his wonder has shown him, what it feels like to be a made creature.

But I digress. To the very Ink itself...I must say, I am perplexed what has brought about its power.
It is not unwelcome in this world, but I will remain curious and will investigate any and all leads.

Read this well, my fellows, and share any news that you have found.

With love,
Walt

>So what other campaign ideas and plot hooks could you do in a live-action toon setting besides a buddy cop film?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Feltpunk

What are good systems for toons?

I want to DM a campaign in a plane where the laws of reality and logic are constantly twisted or ignored. It's not really a Toon World, more like some primary chaos space, but this thread made me think that looney toons logic might be great to represent it.

Toon?

youtube.com/watch?v=pT3E0WgXDNE

youtube.com/watch?v=uPk886Uz6Aw

The hell is going on in that picture?

Speaking of supers, anyone been reading the new Slapstick comic? Definitely along the lines of what we are talking about?

Walt was a man of Veeky Forums.

Somewhat childish, but Ultimately brilliant, to the point that you most often forget how hilariously racist he is.

How would one balance a game with both plain old humans and zany toons as playable characters?

The old rivals Bugs and Daffy doing a pose with weapons pressed to each others snouts. Don't see what you are having trouble with.

Duffy has bill, not snout.

By making death, injury, and combat the least important things in the setting. Toon RPGs tend to be of the "Yes And" narrativist style games, which means that the important things aren't what a character can do so much as what they can do with it. Very similar to JoJo style games.

There's also the fact that humans tend to be "toon-savvy." Toons are themselves subject to following the rules of the tooniverse, and can't really get Meta about things, but humans can utilize tropes.

It also helps to have everyone understand the rules of comedy, the necessity of foils and the straight man, etc.

I was thinking that Primetime Adventures would probably work rather well for it.

Imperial Guardsman and Eldar in a standoff.

I guess I should have written noses, but using a animal related term seemed appropriate considering they are anthropomorphized animal and superseded desire for anatomical correctness at that moment.

I was thinking Toon or Mutants and Masterminds myself...

But now curious about this now.

It's designed to simulate TV Dramas or Sitcoms.

You define characters, and everyone has a screen presence, a number between 1 and 3 that determines how much the "Show" is currently focused on. Sort of defining the A and B plot.

In any conflict the opposing players draw a number of cards equal to their screen presence. The person with the most Red cards "wins" the conflict, but the highest value determines how that result is interpreted. Very narrativist focused, and pretty easy for the GM (called the Producer) to join in the game. Done right it can be 95% GM-less.

Oh yeah, Primetime Adventures. I've heard that it was a big influence on Fiasco.

BAMP!

What's the best way to have toons appear in the setting? Creations of artists come to life? Extradimensional beings? Humans turned toon by a freakish mishap that breaks reality?

Depends on if you want people producing toons to be a thing, or if you want a portal to toon world. Otherwise I would go with it has always been that way and it is lost in time or with dimensional fusing.

Tales of the floating Vagabond is another.

This film should have been better. Instead it was a fever dream with amazing atmosphere.

I could see age of piracy or colonialism working.
The human straightman can be even stiffer as a British officer and gentleman.

Or Indiana Jones.

>toonpunk

Is that even a thing?

I was reposting writfaggotry from an old thread we had.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=toonpunk

Honestly, I think it’d depend on the era of when you play, but having some parallels from real world events might make for interesting plots when you start throwing toons at them.

I think the anime boom might be a good plot- eastern cartoons are becoming more popular, which are pushing out the western cartoons and causing some real friction between the two groups.

It might just be me, but I believe with a little bit of work, a toon can fit any genre- without too much zaniness, even- unless that’s the thing you’re going for. For example, Horror could be a toon campaign where toons are forced or stumble into some traumatic situations where humor can’t help or makes it worse and they start to lose the toon version of sanity and lose more of their powers. (Becoming unfunny and greying out)

Can Fast and Furious get anymore zany?

Vietnam War, just killin' gooks with your imaginary friend.