What would you say is the most accurate depiction of fa/tg/uys in popular media?

What would you say is the most accurate depiction of fa/tg/uys in popular media?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HtgoAt7ZTyE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The ones where they aren't depicted at all. Grogs like us are boring, unfunny and as a general rule unattractive due to our sedentary lifestyle.

That movie is fucking offensive

yeah, but you fucking know its true.

Very true.

I've never met a guy that was a full blown Scott (the fa/tg/uy on the left) but I have met a few guys like Miles before.

Who was in the wrong here?

Don't be so self-hating

I did. It's a mix of poor health and hygiene and massive ego problems. I'm sure you will meet one eventually.

Big Bang Theory!

Thing is, despite putting so much work in his game, Scott is still a bad GM. He can't improvise or predict some of the most obvious choices the players might make, I would expect someone who's life is dedicated to gaming would be more prepared for that kind of player. I would easily handle players like Miles.

The movie was clearly made by people who don't play and wanted to portray a comic but depressing image of gamers. It's just insulting.

I endjoyed that movie quite much.
Though honestly I identified and sympathized with Miles way more than Scott or his buddies.
Except the "XD FUN LETS DO RANDOM CHAOTIC STUPID SHIT AND KILL IMPORTANT NPC FOR NO REASON INSTEAD CRAFTING A STORY" part, from the other hand, Scott's "story" was giving impression of kind of shitty series about retrieving one mcguffin after another from one dungeon after another for one mysterious figure after another ad nauseam, so kind of... I can't entirely blame him for wanting to derail it even in such low way.

Is it tho?

I never got around to watching it but from the trailers I got the impression that it was less about "lol these fucking nerds" and more along the lines "this guy is fucking mess of a person, tabletop notwithstanding"

First post, only good post.

The movie really doesn't focus much on the gaming, it's more about Scott's life, but it does portray gamers as losers.

Scott clearly had no idea how to run a game. On basic rule when you're GMing is: Don't put important NPCs in situations where they're vulnerable to players. If a player wants to do random chaotic shit in my game, I'd just let him, but he would have very short life because there would be consequences for his actions. It wouldn't spoil the campaign.

Blade.

dude on the left is pretty accurate

What is the movie OP is on about? I don't movie.

Youtube.

Watching reaction videos where people cry tears over something like Rogue One is equally as vicariously embarrassing as going on a roleplay convention and ending up in a group with obese neckbeards who play min/maxed characters without personality.

That whole larp scene was spot on, A mix of full on autistic spergs, middle aged neck beards, amateur actors and casual hobbyists.

It even had a villainous "that guy" that ruined the fun for everyone

>"fucking" added for no reason
>offensive

Go back to Tumblr. I've been playing D&D for longer than you and I thought the movie was great.

>Who was in the wrong here?

Both of them. Scott was a railroady DM but his passion is enviable, however said passion also often comes w/ controlling tendencies due to how much "the game" mattered to him in his empty life. However I have found the more empty and depressed the DM is, the better he is at his job.

Now when Miles shows up he doesn't just disrupt the game, he shows a clear image by contrast of what a loser Scott is. Honestly that was the part I felt the most pain for him, realizing how much you fucked up your life is a pretty harsh experience. Still doesn't excuse what he does.

Miles, while he is funny and talented, is also a bit of a twat. There is nothing wrong with throwing your sword at an NPC's head, but doing it for no reason? That's a bit out of character. It strays into chaotic ran-dumb territory and honestly is a bit rude. Had he tried to avoid the guy or done something else that disrupted Scott's railroad, he'd be more in the right. However as is he reminds me of the players who disrupt the game because they think """fun""" is the object at the expense of everything else.

Overall I'd say the blame is 60-40 Scott-Miles respectively. Both were cunts to some level. However Scott is just a sad loser and Miles is a style of gamer that really doesn't mesh with a long-going campaign. However Scott is a shit DM who had potential to be an excellent one if he let go of his autistic railroading and took a shower.

It's very good, I highly recommend it. Watch the trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=HtgoAt7ZTyE

>However I have found the more empty and depressed the DM is, the better he is at his job.
>tfw all my players tell me how great my sessions are
>tfw I'm a husk of a human who spends all his time on Veeky Forums and thinking about tabletop
>mfw I realize this is true
Tabletop is the only time I ever really feel comfortable interacting with other humans. I hate how autistic I am

Who says you have to be sendary to be a war gamer? I've been in the Marine Corps 18 years I'm not a fat body and I love playing and painting as much as the rest of us nerds. Currently enjoying Bolt Action and D&D 5E.

>However I have found the more empty and depressed the DM is, the better he is at his job.
I'm becoming a better GM, guys!

I actually think one of the best media depictions of roleplaying was in Stranger Things. Sure, it wasn't accurate, but it felt really authentic. It didn't get bogged down in rules minutiae, instead focusing on the quality of experience, the highs and lows of that sort of collaborative storytelling and game.

>Kids decide to let a dice that rolled off the table card
>"best media depiction"

Fuck off.

>Redditor Things
yeah no, buddy

That one Dexter's Lab episode.