MtG Modern General

Return of Lightning Bolt edition
Do you still play decks with Bolt in them? Or have you moved on to different removal now that Fatal Push is here and Bolts been on the downswing?
Will the new Morbid Delver bird with Deathtouch see any play?
What about Harsh Mentor in decks outside of Burn?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/478349#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Do you still play decks with Bolt in them?
How else would I play burn?
>Will the new Morbid Delver bird with Deathtouch see any play?
Probably
>What about Harsh Mentor in decks outside of Burn?
I wouldn't see the point, but stranger things have happened

>Do you still play decks with Bolt in them?
Yeah sometimes. U/W control is my main squeeze though
>Will the new Morbid Delver bird with Deathtouch see any play?
Not a chance
>What about Harsh Mentor in decks outside of Burn?
In the sideboard yes

>been playing Burn as my modern deck of choice for quite a while now
>know the ins and outs of the deck generally make top 8 at FNM with it
>watching someone play the deck facing Living End after my match ended
>making mistake after mistake, even small things like the way he sequenced his lands
>fucking running Blood Moon out of SB
>slams it down with a fucking Boros Charm and Destructive Revelry in hand locking himself out of casting colored spells
>his opponent plays a Madcap into Platinum Emperion next turn
>could have easily won by Reveling the Emperion and Boros Charming next turn
How the fuck can people be so bad at playing such a simple deck? To make it even worse he had a fucking anime mat.

Holy hell.
Jesus you'd think one would learn about the deck before playing it, or at least fucking read blood moon.
Anyways burn bro, are you going to run harsh mentor?

It was just mistake after mistake. Like fetching tapped shocks with a Fulminator out, or not floating a mana from a land that Fulminator hit so you can cast a two mana spell.
On the subject of Harsh Mentor I will not personally be running him, I think hes a great card and he certainly pulls his weight in some of the harder matchups for Burn such as Merfolk, Affinity, and Bant Eldrazi, but overall I feel like Lavamancer is still better as hes always able to get in for damage as long as he isnt removed. I like Mentor, I really like that he hoses Eldrazi Tron and Affinity but its hard for me to find room for him in such a tight list. Still the thought of having both Mentor and Eidolon down at the same time makes me consider running it just for a few nights. I personally dont see a lot of Affinity in my local meta which factors into the decision a lot since Mentor absolutely destroys that deck.

Was it their first time playing the deck? I know when I went from just playing a friend at my house to an actual shop I made mistakes just from nervousness/not being used to playing against any other deck. But on the other hand the blood moon in naya burn is so fucking retarded.
And yea, I don't think mentor would be too useful for my meta but I'm still going to pick up a playset.

I have no idea, I just like to watch Burn matchups and compare what they do to what I would do. I weep when I see the deck played badly. Ill try to find a few Mentors at Prerelease. Im excited for the cards in Amonkhet, hopefully see some new strategies emerge in Modern from them.

I almost think Mentor slots into and reinvigorates RW Taxes with Arbiter, Ghost Quarter amd Thalia to really mess with your opponents manabase.

Besides mentor I'm pretty stoked for the green god since I'm going to be building mono green stompy once I finish burn (still need some fetches, an eidolon, and some sb cards)
Also maybe red white hatebears will be a thing, I'd build the shit out of that

Hatebears will never be good. As much as I love the deck It's pretty obsolete nowadays. Discard the relevant one and remove the rest. Even if it gets a soft lock going the deck lacks a consistent threat to end the game before the opponent recovers. It's trash.

How do I improve my goblin deck?

Scrap it and play affinity or shadow jund.

Play reckless bushwhacker?

These kinds of responses are neither clever nor helpful.

Match your mountains

I think Goblin Bushwaker is better

Yeah, 6 unglued mountains would be nice

We'll isn't that real fuckin neato

Build red green 8whack. Run goblin grenade. Cut out the caverns. Ignore trolls. Good luck

The deck is supposed to play a set of both.

I'm just giving it to him(you) straight. It's no sense in running these subpar decks and getting railroaded by a tier 1 deck. What is goblins gonna do against affinity,shadow jund and tron/eldrazi? Do you go around buying players free packs? Because that's essentially what you are doing by showing up at a tournament with a deck like goblins.

Play Goblin King + Blood Moon. The jank must flow!

[non-euclidean penetration intensifies]

Boo

Can a photoshopfag do that up like pic related? I feel like it will be relevant for future threads.

EnT is the most inconsistent of the bunch and It's manabase horrendous.

You have to believe that someone who is playing goblins either can't afford a better deck, or just wants to have fun playing cause they think goblins are cool. They want to be the best they can...as long as its with goblins. Telling them to just play affinity isn't helping. user didn't say: what deck should I play to win, they said how do I make my jank shit better.

This. Just look up 8 whack lists and copy that shit

not at all! it's secretly a flickerwisp+processor deck. you probably just pilot it poorly due to lack of experience.

I don't really know what to take out to fit it in. Krenko's command?
The grenades are there mate. Maybe I'll take out the caverns since nobody plays the shitty modern counterspells anyway.
Yeah I have them in the sideboard
This desu I just want to have some fun. (Plus I had all the expensive cards already from legacy decks, so I only had to buy cheap gobbos and the shocklands)

Here's the most recent Goblin list to put up results in an MTGO modern league: mtggoldfish.com/deck/478349#paper

Hope that helps, my dude.

Thanks my man.

play another atarka's command and a copy of become immense. do some other stuff.
here's what i'd play if i were on 'goblins' for modern.

Playing kitchen table goblins lets you swipe games in a group setting, and they never learn

There's two ways to play Goblins:
>Go crazy and blow up everything/suicide run your buffed army into their face.
>Make Goblins at a very casual pace: fast enough to make you defensible but not enough to be threatening

The second one never fails while playing against a group of more serious players, because you don't look like anything that they have to worry about. Then you just be opportunistic and kill the last guy after they've all duked it out, springing your win con.

I never got to ask yesterday. How did everyones FNM go?

I took Knightfall again and went 2-1. Beat burn and affinity but lost to tokens after getting my spell queller removed late game and he went free lingering souls into flashback lingering souls 2 games in a row. Still went 1-2 that round, though.

i went to work and rode bikes instead. i'll play modern tomorrow though.

2-1 with U/W control. Lost to dredge. I pack a decent amount of hate cards in the board but second game had to mull to 4 and didn't draw shit. Got wrecked. I beat a kiki chord deck, and elves though. Fun times.

Went 3-1 with unfinished burn.
Spirits, storm, grixis control gg ez.
Lost to fucking bogles tho. Game 1 he had the nut draw, game 2 I didn't draw any of my enchantment hate and he outraced me.

Become immense fueled out of what, a few fetches? Besides that, the only reason to play goblin is to avoid spending too much on the manabase, wich is why nobody runs AC

>Delver of Deathtouch good?
Grixis delver will get better because of it.

There is yet a way to play magic online without a broken system or a pay for your fucking cards way?

Last time I played this they was selling urza's saga boosters in shops so uh

Squeeze in somewhere reckless bushwacker and rabblemaster? Atarkas is nuts, I would run full playset.

Get rid of green, add the other whacker and devastating summons

I love kitchen table goblins just because I can play this guy

I wish they reprinted him somewhere

Against DSJ 8whack player is fucked, against affinity it can win. The biggest problem with 8whack isn't the lack of the power but inconsistency.

On second thought DSJ matchup isn't as bad as I thought it was. All you need to do to close the game is goblin grenade+bolt/other grenade.

Still the deck is inconsistent as fuck and that doesn't change no matter the matchup.

What about goblin wardriver?
It doesn't give haste but it also doesn't depend on you playing another spell the same turn.

You want whacker. If you play ogblins you have enough 1 drops to kind-of consistently cast him T3. Lack of haste on wardriver is the dealbreaker (and the fact it doesn't give haste to the other creatures that entered the battlefield this turn).

Just compate:

T3 - float 3 mana, devastating summons, sac 3 lands, whacker -> 10 damage on attack +your other goblins

T3 - wardriver +one drop goblin -> damage done just by your other goblins

>roommate convinces me to play mtg
>buy some preconstructed deck
>draw nothing but lands and vehicles, roommate discards my deck
>draw nothing but vehicles and creatures, roommate discards my deck
>draw nothing but lands and spells, roommate discards my deck

what's the easiest way to hide the body?

>bolt
haven't taken a bolt deck to fnm. too much big mana, eldrazi, combo, death's shadow. instead i play the only red deck with no burn
>harsh mentor
it's pretty cool, i'd wondered if Burning Tree Shaman was playable in any capacity and concluded that it was probably 1 cmc too high to be considered. i do hate that the effect is not symmetrical...
i could see singleton mentors showing up in chord lists

2-2 on grishoalbrand
R1 outraced dredge to win in three. both of us got a turn 4 kill but i got a turn 3 in. pretty fast in the post-probe meta
R2 drew wrong half of deck and lost to btl scapeshift
R3 punted game 3 against gb elves by slamming wurm instead of pyroclasm (tho he was running an unusual number of ways to kill without combat)
R4 mooned grixis control out of black mana g3, wurmed him. game 1 i got to instakill him when he tapped low for a k command in my end step. i probably would have lost had he been more familiar with the matchup
i still ended up with store credit but i was mad salty about losing to scapeshift and elves. sometimes i steamroll and sometimes i'm reminded how easy it is to lose to the deck or myself. there was also a pickup game i had against junk where he led with hierarch, discard, discard, ooze and where i hardcasted 2 griselbrands. i lost ultimately but it was a pretty entertaining game

wrong thread but try shuffling better? i guess if you want to get into modern there are some pretty consistent decks. btw precons are a waste of money

newfag here. Is return to ranks worth it to run in my budget soul sister deck?

Just when we thought morbid triggers couldn't get any worse, what the fuck was wizard thinking printing this?? Even goyf is vulnerable to this crazy removal and its so cheap, pop a fetch hurr durr now your goyf is dead, sure do love Fatal Push, great job wizards

Well maybe you shouldn't be playing goyf

Are you mad at path to exile as well user?

>tfw I play a deck with 32 1-2 cost removals just to enrage people

Went 4-0 with Abzan shadow. Beat the mirror round 1, got to maelstrom pulse all 4 of his shadows in game 3 which was sweet. Round 2 against mono white death and taxes, opponent makes a bad block in game 3 that costs him the match. Round 3 against skred, cast 5 discard spells in game 1 and they can't answer a single deaths shadow, game 2 I get to play exactly one turn before my opponent concedes for missing his second land drop. Round 4 against BG zombies, it's a slow grindy midrange deck that can't deal with big threats early so I just kill myself on turns 1 and 2 and attack past his dopey grave crawlers. Despite being at table one for the last two rounds my friend who also went 4-0 amd got the pair down in the final round placed first which was a massive tilt

You actually don't and you just came up with an autistic scenario so you could post your faggot anime image. You're a fucking loser, I'm not that guy, I think fatal push is fine, but you clearly don't have that deck, and if you do I'm sure it's fucking trash. I guarantee no one at your lgs likes you, you anime posting autistic faggot please kill yourself

I'm thinking of moving to modo and not play anymore in paper, I'm so tired of fnm's that you can do a 3-1 and don't get shit, alongside pptqs in which the top 8 is decided around round 3-4 because intencional and unintencional draws.

In modo at least you know what you will get if you do a 3-2 in a league, not this shit. Should draws count 0 points, anons?

Git gud

That's exactly what I want but it's so frustating when my 4-1 it's useless for top 8 already.

>tfw I don't even need to play it to enrage retards

What deck do you play?

you can try: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bloodybears/

does pic related make zombies playable now?

This card is circumstantial shit

Esper control but I also have Lantern control please no bully.

Well that's why you do bad

Newfag here

Are tapped out prices real? Im seeing huge disparity between MTG and MTGO budget decks. Sometimes deck can cost 50 bucks but only 5 tixs

That's just the nature of MTGO. Most prices are lower across the board- but weird stuff like Gorilla Shaman can be expensive online.

the circumstance being you're playing b/w zombies

not that guy but going 4-1 shouldn't be seen as doing bad though

>Im seeing huge disparity between MTG and MTGO budget decks. Sometimes deck can cost 50 bucks but only 5 tixs

Uh, yeah. That's the whole point of MTGO. it's generally a 10:1 cost ratio.

Speaking of costs, Devoted Druid is now selling at $4. For a common. People are dumb.

Usually yeah, tapped out has links to sites where you can buy the cards at those prices. There's a few exceptions, sometimes cardhoarder will quote a price but won't have of that version of the card in stock and hasn't for years. Happens with really rare promos that they haven't got a copy of in years and that was the last price they ever sold one for.
In general a full deck on MTGO costs about a third of the paper price. Cards with casual appeal have an even higher ratio (e.g. serra's ascendant is 7x more in paper than MTGO), and recent standard cards with high demand get closer to 1 to 1 or are higher online (e.g. collected company is more online than in paper).

Thats nice to hear, I thought mtg might be too expensive for me to play but looks like MTGO is cheap enough

if you're looking to stretch every dollar sites like MTGO wiki price will list all the publicly listed bots and tell you which one is selling the card you want for the lowest price. Other sites will just let you submit a deck list and deliver the cards to you in MTGO but you pay extra that way.

Nice. I use Voracious Dragon instead, but Clickslither is probably better by virtue of being faster.

>not playing missmatched lands to trigger your oppenents

Do you even aggro?

>In general a full deck on MTGO costs about a third of the paper price.
I want to add that's modern only, paper pauper is about 20-30% cheaper than MTGO because its played online more often

Or even just White with a lot of Embalm.

Are Elves in Modern just meme tier deck or actual Tier 2 viable?

a buddy just went 4-0-1 at the weekly running elves. it's T2 situationally viable. anyone running enough hexproof is usually fine. Prisons work well. and anyone resolving supreme verdict ends the game. its not bad against tron but jund tends to walk through it.

Shit, I didn't even realize you could do it in response to declaring blockers, before damage. It's better than I thought.

All tribal decks are memes here in /modern/. Everything is a meme deck other than DSJ and Tron.

>tron
>not karn tribal

yeah, D&T, esp. in current meta, can be really great. im running it at the shop today

Cómprate un tapete, por dios

3-1 with mono blue martyr

2-1 abzan DS.
Lost game 2 to a couple lingering souls from the board.

0-2 elves.
Didnt come prepared for the match up and got my shit thoroughly pushed in. Have now added hibernate to the board.

2-0 KCI.
This match up is basically free for the deck. Opponent was visibly tiled.

2-1 Abzan company.
Game one was able to keep bouncing opponents dorks with mist blade + wingcrafter to keep him off mana.
Game 2 was grindy and township eventually overpowered me.
Game 3 commandeered a chord of calling to get master of waves with 6 devotion and swing for lethal.

Is MD Leyline of Sanctity a good call if my meta is full of Grixis decks (control and DS)? Their discard is pretty annoying.

A pair of MD Leylines can be a good plan in UWx Control. For other decks they might be too clunky.

1 main 3 side is fine if you're on that plan. i've seen weirder shit, honestly.

Got a list?
also every deck I've played against the new eggs list with has been a free win, the deck loses to every kind of interaction

3x aether vial
4x martyr of frost
4x mausoleum wanderer
4x faerie miscreant
4x wing crafter
2x sidisi"s familiar (flex slot, used to be judges familiars)
4x voidmage prodigy
4x spell stutter sprite
2x mist blade shinobi
1x grand architect
1x master of waves
4x ninja of the deep hours
4x Sky Hussar
4x disrupting shoal
1x Commandeer
11x Island
2x flooded strand
1x hallowed fountain

This is off the top of my head as I don't have my list on hand.

Thanks

>2017
>not getting your foil gifts at 7 bucks

you don't even have to pop a fetch to deal with goyf

Why? I mean its not a bad deal but its only played in UR Storm which is just an ok deck

Holy shit this is the most Timmy post ive ever seen. Yes removal is fair, i dont like how Push so easily hits 4cmc creatures but oh well. 5 cmc creatures are cool now if you can live that long.

>5 cmc creatures are cool now if you can live that long.
So what you're saying is 5 CMC creatures are completely useless

>I play """""cool""""" 5 cmc creature
>opponent uses his Karn he got out on turn 3 to exile it
Sure is fun.