Kamigakari Thread: "Neat Systems in the Expansions" Edition

Last thread dropped off and i'ma blame easter for it.

Due to That, i'm gonna go over a couple interesting systems in the Expansions, including sanctums

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Gonna start with an easier one, Kushimitama, which you get from boss aramitama.

In the Core book, there's 3 uses for them. Getting cash, which most people will use it for, Recovering twice as much from bonds at the crest check at episode end, and Causing a context sensitive miracle. What form this miracle takes is dependent on what has happened at the time, what you want to do, and if your DM allows it.

The first expansion gives a few extra options though. One of these is Arms fusion. If you have two weapons of the same Form you can fuse them together, which is fancy terms for destroying one to put its stuff on the other. Certain things can't be swapped over, but most additional effects and material synthesis effects can be swapped over. This is generally the cheaper option to spending all the money to making an entirely new weapon up to the same point.

I'm thinking of running this for my friends. Can someone give me a crash course on Kamigakari's "meta"? Abilities to look out for, ways to build characters, etc. I want to make sure I'm steering my players in the right direction when it comes to character creation. And I also want to make sure that my encounters don't end up being pushovers.

Well, pretty much anything is viable. There's no real way to become completely useless, unless you are retarded enough not to get the kind of weapon that lets you use your talents. So long as they have these, they'll be competitive in some way.

The biggest thing to remember for PC's is that they get Timings each round. These are start, prep, attack, and unique. Most of those are straight forward. The thing to remember though is that Timing unique means that it can be used at any time its viable if you pay the cost. This also means you can stack as many "timing unique" talents on eachother as you can afford to. So if someone makes an attack, and uses talents that use timing unique to stack, they can do that. The only restriction is that you can't stack the same one twice.

As for things to look out for, Multi-hitting attacks, multiple attacks, and contractor B's bound primal are all things to be wary of. The first two are just a matter of altering some numbers, more or less.

Bound primal is a unique thing to deal with though. It offers unique circumstances that the DM will need to deal with. One thing to take note of is that you can only summon one primal per combat/scene, and if the contractor is taken out the primal will disappear as well. it'll require unique tactics, but isn't terribly difficult to deal with if you aren't lazy.

Getting back to this

The second use is origin awakening. This is just a way to switch a style for another one. This includes the ability to change your main style, stats and all.

Next are sanctums. Most disturbance's in the setting are done in the town in a physical sense. There's spirit barriers that prevent damage, but over all thats just a layer over the same area. Sanctums are much more... versatile. These are the anime happenings where people can be sucked into TVs, mirrors, Mysterious places at the bottom of lakes, or even dreams. Due to mononoke being susceptible to sunlight, its always night in these things.

There are some unique circumstances in a sanctum though, in that the party acts as one unit until combat starts. All actions and checks are done as a group. There's a lot of rules involved, but generally these are large scale dungeons that the party takes on as a group. They are split up into "area's" That your party progresses through. At the end, the master of the place will probably give you some form of treasure material, assuming they weren't the problem themselves. In this case, treasure materials are like regular materials, having a gold value and material value, but no actual effect. This makes it usable solely for upgrading equipment, and not for material synthesis.

The real danger in sanctums though, is that the area itself is a danger to you.

If your total actions cause you to go past the limit of the area, a sanctum crisis will occur. This can be a lot of effects, but most of them are devastating. some of them are temporary, and can be slept off. Others are permanent. You may even lose equipment.

A sanctum purge is not to be messed around in. its a battle against time to get to the end. A good comparison in vidya would be darkest dungeon. the scene/area layout is similar, and the dungeon itself is trying to kill you.

>Abilities to look out for

Multiattacks, multitarget attacks, Bound Primals.

In before someone comes in saying how the GM can homebrew enemies to get around these.

I already basically said that. I also called you a lazy shit if you don't.

Man, slow day today.

Anyone got a character they think would be a challenge to make? an idea they want to try but aren't sure how to go about it?

From a few threads ago I have Homosexual Space "Magic" Jesus.

So why should I play this over another anime system? Like Double Cross? Or Pathfinder.

Why not?

I'd have to learn it, then I'd have to gather people to play it without any basis for selling it other than a half-formed opinion based off my read.

So you want a half formed opinion based on other people's reads? Just try it out, that's the best way to get used to a new system. For what it's worth, here's my half formed opinion: It's almost exclusively combat based, social stuff is very abstracted and you can do very little to spec a character for anything but combat, but the combat system is bitching and works really well. The thing that stands out for me the most is it feels like playing a JRPG (a la Bravely Default or old FF games) rather than something like Pathfinder. You don't roll for anything during chargen and you buy the sort of "cure X status" items that are very prevalent in those games too, including Phoenix Down type revives. It really is like making a video game character, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! It's almost impossible to make a BAD character. Any gripes you have with setting or the sample episodes in the core book can just be rectified with your imagination, but the system itself is solid if a little unbalanced. Anything else you wanna know?

I think we already went over the fact that his space jesus magic angel shit wouldn't really work. The absolute best i could do is darkstalker, and even thats a stretch. At least for a player. As a mononoke or aramitama, anything goes. So far as an actual character, i think he's able to pilot an eva so at least a legacy user B with the titan armor.

Well, the combat system is smooth as butter. Its got a unique system where-in you have 4 dice in a pool, and you can use these to either alter your rolls for checks, or use them to power talents. With how the system works it gives a good mix of up and downtime for a characters abilities without seeming arbitrary on the systems part. On top of this, how movement and engagements (being adjacent to a hostile creature) work makes you put a lot of thought into how you move, or what abilities you use to do so. If you want to move away, you either need to use a talent that allows it, or withdraw, inhibiting the rest of your actions. This makes "tanking" a viable tactic.

So far as social stuff goes, its pretty freeform, with the occasional check needing to be made to do this or that.

The options for creation are pretty all encompassing so far as abilities go, with only a scant few like magic space jesus up there being difficult. The only other difficult thing i've seen was an a bao a qu, and thats because its an entirely non-hostile entity with no actual abilities to speak of.

So far as progression, there's two forms of it so far. The first is the regular episodic format. This plays out similar to an anime, in which you start thing, hook happens, and you investigate and resolve thing. Then, in the first expansion are sanctums, which work similarly to games like darkest dungeon, odin sphere, etc, in that each "Area" has its own unique circumstances. For the details on that, see and

So does anyone wanna get a Roll20 game going of this? There seems to be a good bit of interest. In a perfect world someone experienced should GM and that's not me. Anyone up for it? My time zone is GMT +0

>I think we already went over the fact that his space jesus magic angel shit wouldn't really work.
We did but someone mentioned last thread(?) they basically made Nanoha and Fate so I was thinking it was actually more flexible than I originally thought it was. (In truth the power of fluff may push this even further than before, it may just be what it comes down to mechanically that really matters.)

>So far as an actual character, i think he's able to pilot an eva so at least a legacy user B with the titan armor.
The problem is I literally meant the space jesus magic angel shit, or really just the humanoid angel shit, not the Evangelion. My apologizes(?).

>apologizes
*apologies
Curse my typos.

Roll20 is almost a perfect platform for it, honestly. You need all of 2 maps for the most part, one of the city, and one for a battle grid. Its mostly just making and using tokens, and keeping track of everyones spirit and talents.

What my GM did for that was to give each person a blank handout where people could write down their spirit rolls.

Do you realize how easy fate and nanoha really are? they are extremely simple magical girl fare, with fate being hard only due to how many weapons she has.

My issue with making his magic space jesus stuff is that i have no idea what most of it does. Or for that matter what he can do as a whole besides pilot an eva. Like the a bao a qu, i can't stat something that doesn't do anything.

Actually, i'll amend this real quick, he'd likely be a divine soul. Being a literal angel and all that.

Past that, i got nothing. I don't know any abilities he uses, powers he has, or actions he tends to take, as space jesus. I have no idea what style's he'd have.

Is it possible for someone to make mundane weaponry viable through the use of saturating bullets, blades, etc with Spiritual Power?

Totally. There are regular ass firearms in the ranged section, as an example.

Most "artificial regalia" are mundane weapons that have gone through a process to be usable against aramitama and mononoke.

If you mean using entirely mundane weapons and using your own spirit power with them, thats god hand A. They are the only class capable of using "Improvised weaponry.

What expansion is God Hand specifically in?

Actually, now that i read it, both versions of god hand can use obstacles as temporary regalia.

You can work with your DM on using smaller objects though.

The first one, requiem for the god soul

The neat thing about god hand is that technically anything can be a weapon. Not even just weaponry or large objects, you can even make a butter knife into an effective weapon. Or a Spoon. Maybe even a pair of glasses or something.

Unfortunately improvised weapon in and of itself implies large items like road signs and such, but you can work with your GM on smaller objects, like i said Its not an implausible ability for the class, so a nice GM should be willing to work with you on it.

So, this looks cool. I've been looking for a system to scratch my animoo itch with.

What's the elevator pitch for this? For what the setting is and how the system works.

So far as setting goes, you are in a large city (in the sample material, hisashiro) and your job is to deal with whatever issue's arise due to any number of forces of evil including but not limited to youkai, demons, other god hunters, and even mechanical menaces. Eldritch monstrocities are on their way.

So far as ability goes, pretty much anything goes. Magical girls and kamen rider types are particularly easy.

So far as how the system works, its mostly combat oriented, as i said here along with its episodic nature and other overarching details.

If you want the specifics, reading the book would be smarter than listening to my explanations

One thing i've forgotten to address in those posts is that the translation is being updated pretty often. Kamigakari user is in the middle of finishing up necessary materials for the fourth and fifth, and working on the sixth (which is the eldritch stuff)

The GM sections haven't been done yet past singular entries for specific mononoke.