I have a player who is playing SimCity/Anno during my campaign. Should I encourage him?

I have a player who is playing SimCity/Anno during my campaign. Should I encourage him?

>I want to have been born in a small village and my father is the mayor, and I want to help it flourish
>sure

>here is the map of my village
>I want to use my gold to build a barracks
>okay I want now to hire some soldiers and leave a fund so my father can pay them
>I want to build some roads
>I want to build a woodcutter and some depots
>Can I mark on my character sheet how much wood I have stored?
>I want to build a quarry now
>Cool! How much stone are my villagers producing?
>I want to build some palisades
>Now I want a tavern
>I want to build a bath house

As DM I... well I really don't mind it since it's on the breaks of adventure. But I dunno if DnD is suited for something like that. Like, I have no idea how much wood a woodcutter produces in day so I tell him to roll a dice.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building/
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Didn't one of the older editions have official rules for player characters owning, ruling and exploiting land? Maybe see if you can get your hands on those.

>DnD is suited for something like that
Not really.
In a recent thread I learned about two systems that can be added on to do this well:
Adventurer Conquerer King and An Echo Resounding
AER is more top down and is more abstract, whereas ACK has more elements for minute statistics, like how much wood and stone is being produced.
But I believe ACK has its own pricing structure and might need adjusting.

The rudimentary system I had been considering was here:
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building/

That's interesting.

Kingdom building stuff seems ideal.

I believe the 'Birthright' setting had domain manegement as its whole shtick. OP could check those out for domain play.

Don't always let him pick what he wants: give him choices.
The NPC adjutant doing all the admin comes to him with problems. We have stone for either a stockade or a chapel. We can stockpile heavily for winter on the advice of the hermit, or use our surplus for more production now.
Occasionally, give him something to go and fix personally (a monster attack, a personal issue) and occasionally give him a random boon.

Job done.

See if you can get the other party members involved. Otherwise, just let him roll a few dice and give him updates, and then have the BBEG threaten his village so he's got a personal stake in it.
It's harmless stuff that amuses him, and doesn't apparently take time away from the rest of the party. AND it gives you leverage over him.

AD&D 2E had it. You can look at Birthright and OSR look for ACKS.

It is a great way to spend the gold and have a downtime activity. Go for it.

Arms. And. Equipment. Guide.

It's a dnd 3.5 boom, but for the most part it's literally just chalk full of prices for all kinds of foods, goods, and materials.

>literally just chalk full of prices
LEARN YOUR OWN FUCKING LANGUAGE YOU ILLITERATE FUCK.
'Literally' does not mean 'figuratively'. It is not an adjective.
'Chock full'. C H O C K. Not chalk.

Asking a burger to learn English is like asking a Pig to write poetry.

Public education in the US has been financially gutted and mismanaged to the ground. This is the result. Hence it is not necessarily the individual user's fault that he was not properly taught English.

>literally
I might just be tired, but didn't they (possibly accidentally) use this correctly for once?
Is it not actually full of prices?
Isn't it modifying "full" as an adverb?
Am I wrong?

>chalk full
But yeah, no.
Here we just put them in a room and let the monkeys loose.
Damn.

It's not 'literally' 'ful' of prices for things. There's just a big list, and a bunch of assorted weapons and gear.

I bought the book when it was new-ish, for variety's sake. Gotta love rules for dirigibles and sailing ships that sail over land.

Seems like tons of hooks for RP if you can get others involved. Woodcutters have trouble in the forest with treehuggers, quarries have goblins, palisades are found to get sabotaged by an insider spy, the tavern gets trouble with the law or too many drunken assholes, mayor's power is threatened by feuding family, barracks have trouble with corrupted soldiers/guards, etc

If not wanted, you can
1) make a story arc how the village and/or daddy gets fucked and be done with it after that (and tell player personally that you dont want to give the village too much attention because it puts player in a constant leading position while the others are not involved)

2) have the sent money get stolen by bandits (if he personally goes back to his village you can tell him there's better things to do because the world is on fire) or basically "they are still building that other place"

3) ask the other players if they get annoyed by SimCity-man, and if so, tell player.

Is he even still near the village? Isn't he an adventurer? Why would he stock on wood? How the fuck would he know how much stone the villagers are storing? If this guy actually has time to manage a fucking village, you are not throwing enough dungeons and dragons at the party IMO

I would argue that to remain ignorant when he clearly has access to the Internet is inexcusable.

Basically I gave every PC an heirloom, a magical artifact they could have to start the adventure.

He asked for a magic stone that allows him to create a portal to his village. Like town scroll from Diablo. The rule I made is that he can only do that once per day (in game).

>I would argue that to remain ignorant when he clearly has access to the Internet is inexcusable.

How would someone who is unware of their error become aware of it without outside intervention?

Do you Google every word you type just to make sure that you're spelling it correctly before you make each post?

In that case I would just kindly remind him that it's a group effort game, and it's not fun for the rest if he goes back to his shitty village every day to micromanage stuff while the rest has to wait.But only if your other players are annoyed by it.

>Do you Google every word you type just to make sure that you're spelling it correctly before you make each post?
I have a browser addon that spellchecks for me. Doesn't everyone?

For all intensive purposes, it's a doggy dog world, and mistakes like this are diamond dozen.
You should take the ship off your shoulder, user, and get to the brass stacks.

Getting players invested it close to impossible sometimes. In this sense, it is excellent.

In return to your extra work, derive adventures out of it. I already treated adventurers as a mix of conquistadors, greeks turned heroes for founding colonies and frontiersmen.

I had an idea of making stats for the colony/village. Like, gaining XP, using it for improvements (talent: university), going from village all the way to metropolis... it would have hit points, each representing a single citizen, healing meant bringing more settlers. A talent called "militia" would have given it extra temporary HPs during sieges, buying armor meant building palisades etc. Never got around to it.

Are you TRYING to give me an aneurysm?

Once they get to level 8 or so, kill the town. The BBEG and his undead army are attracted by the town's wealth so they massacre the town

>'Literally' does not mean 'figuratively'.
It literally does.

In that case, allow me to cite a British source for added Brithurt.
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally
>1.1informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.
>‘I was literally blown away by the response I got’

That's right: in English (British English!) "literally" can mean "figuratively".

first day on Veeky Forums?

Pathfinder kingmaker campaign setting has the rules you are looking for . You start with one building and a caravan and build/ grow the town into whatever the players decide. Everything has a gold price or supply price . Army's can be conscripted , buildings can be optionally designed/ placed. Alignments and race restrictions can be implemented . If the players are gone to long adventuring riots start to happen ....It's a decent system that can be easily ripped from the campaign setting .

I don't get the guy. Why would he want to shoehorn Anno into D&D when he could just play Anno? D&D isn't the right system for what he wants to play. It's like asking for a hamburger in a Chinese restaurant.

It's not necessary Anno, but it is like he is playing the average building game. I bet he is a fan of Settlers too.

>I have a player who is playing SimCity/Anno during my campaign. Should I encourage him?

Yes, but you should probably encourage him to play and develop an actual village and not a "Real Time Strategy Community©". D'you know what I mean?

A real ye olde village doesn't really operate very much like an anno or a settlers village; those video game villages operate more like communist colonies/communes than real towns.

A town isn't going to conveniently have all the resources it requires, a town usually doesn't even 'need' a specific tier of resources to necessarily advance, etc.. etc.. Running a town can be REALLY fucking interesting, but it's a waste to restrict yourself to the limited conventions of something like anno when you're playing a table top game.

I could care less, to be honest,