/wip/ work in progress - 9.99 edition

What is the best tool/paint/brush/whatever you can buy for 9.99?

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

i bought these for 7 pound from warlord. Old molds so a bit fragile but fun minis. Any tips on what to improve on them? If nothing to srs i am calling these done.

Easter goal completed!

I'd say maybe give their faces a light dab/wash to push their definitions a bit further, but as it stands they still are quite solid, you can easily leave as is.

Trying my hand at another seeker missile design. I honestly don't like the look of fins on a missile, it seems like it's rudimentary technology the Tau should be above by now. So how about two thrusters instead?

> i like that design, it looks kinda cool, but i think three trusters would look even better.
I would also make the missile less conical and more round, like the plasma rifles, just with fins at the end

Hm, you mean another thruster on the bottom? the flat area is where the magnet will go to attach to the bottom of the drone's wing.

yeah, thats pretty much what i meant

Afternoon lads.

I've been priming this morning and my AP white spray is leaving a shitty residue on things no matter how I do it. What's the best white primer? (Actual hobby one, I can't seem to find a rustoleum one in the UK)

My GW Chaos black spray works like a charm.

Tamiya Fine White should be a good one.
The biggest downside is cost, as it costs a fair bit for a considerably smaller can (only 180 ml rather than 400).
Vallejo spray primers have generally treated me well too, but I've only used the grey one there.

Hm, just tried it. It's impossible to take a photo as I can't glue them and the pieces are too small for blutac to work properly, shit kept falling off. The third thruster on the bottom made it look a bit messed up, imbalanced. I think I'll stick with the javelin-y look of two, honestly.

its your missile, do what you want with it, but dont forget to post the results once you finished

Aye aye! I'm glad I'm going to paint these black. I can't fucking shape them perfectly, so there will be carving bumps.

I see some people suggest priming models with only grey instead of white or black. What is the reason for that?

To the user asking for a recipe:

Black primer, gun metal base coat,nuln oil all over, hard drybrush of gun metal, then a lighter drybrush of 50/50 gun metal and silver. Finally another drybrush of pure silver on the top areas.
Wash on the recesess with smokey ink.
The gold is retributor gold with sepia wash and that citadel brass color as highlight(cant remember the name)
And the stripes are golden yellow with a sepia wash.

personal preference.
Personally I don't like doing that on plastic models cause it's hard to tell where the paint is and where not.
Aside from that the only other factor that should enter that decision is your painting scheme.
For example, if you do yellow, prime white, if you do dark blue, prime black, if you paint something in a medium brown prime whatever.

It's hard to build up light colors over black, and dark colors over white. Grey acts as a decent middle ground, making it ideal for priming in more cases than white or black.

This guy's concept art has inspired a lot of the style I try to go for with my Marines. That said, I'm stuck now. Specifically, the servitors here.

Is there anything similarly posed- GW or not- I could use as a base model for something like this? I have some plans already for standing versions, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a mini in this pose.

I have no more WIP because all my dudes are painted. What should I get next? I'm thinking beastmen

>fully painted and based army
I've been in the hobby for coming up to 2 decades now and I've never finished an entire army. I really need to get round to it just to prove to myself that I can do it.

>making it ideal for priming in more cases than white or black.
Sorry if that seems nitpicky, but 'statistics' on what might or might not be a common scenario are kind of a moot point.
You are painting one specific scheme at a time and it's not like you cannot have more than one primer around.

Just get the primer that's best suited for the scheme you are doing.

I'm looking at picking up a small Necron force and I'm looking round for interesting colours to paint them that aren't just the standard metal drybrush.

I quite fancy the Nihilakhs because I can break out my P3 blues for that.

Any other ideas?

You can do it, just stick to an army you really like and don't spend too much time on the core/base units.

I don't let myself buy new things unless I have most of my other stuff painted.
I save money because it completely stops impulse buys, and it forces me to get things done. I wanted a new Lord of Change, skyfires, and some other stuff but I said id wait until I finished painting my other last unit of hellstriders before I bought them. By the time I finished painting them I don't really want the new stuff anymore. Saved myself $250-300 easy.

Did over 100 models... My current army is:
20 mauraders
30 warriors
10 knights
10 hellstriders
30 daemonettes
20 chosen (blood reaver conversions because I hate finecast)
3 daemon princes
1 KoS
1 LoC
1 manticore
1 war shrine
5 spawn
1 warp lightning cannon
1 plague claw
10ish heros, sorcerers, etc.

get a different line of minis? Perhaps FoW 15mm? or 6mm epic or naps?

>be a CSM player
>playing against Admech
>fucking wrecking their mechanical assholes
>my lord chokes some lowly sergeant to death
>roll on a boon table
>roll a spawn result

A 180 points, nigh-unkillable Chaos Lord on bike with a mark of nurgle turned into a gribbling piece of meat.

On the other hand, during the same game my culist champion turned into a Daemon Prince.

In memorial of my Lord I decided to make a Chaos Spawn model. Took me 15 minutes to paint.
Totaly worth it.

Time to make a custom DP model next.
Gotta make it funny somehow, maybe I'll glue a tiny Cultist helmet on top of it's head.

Can you post more pics? need to see more detail

Same here. Sitting on three unfinished armies (five if you count WarmaHordes) I decided last week to start another WHF army.

but why?

>I'm looking at picking up a small Necron force and I'm looking round for interesting colours to paint them that aren't just the standard metal drybrush.
I made a pdf of the oldcron hobby section from their first non-WD codex.
Would post if I was on my other pc, but maybe another user can help you out.

Anyway the old Necrons had a bunch of paintscheme suggestions that assumed they were made of ceramics.
The first Dawn of War also had some more colorful schemes for them.

If you want to stick with metals, but want more colors you could look into clear coats from tamiya and the like.
I think that's called candy coating or something like that? Basically gives you a finish like a metallic paintjob on a car.

Because I've lost control of my life.

Ah...
The sweet temporary relief cracking open a new rulebook or ripping the wrapping from a box of plastic crack offers.

My phone just died, so can't right now.

But there's not that much to see there, it's just a drybrushed fantasy tombstone I've painted out of frustration.

You guys know its [current year] right?
If you take the money you would spend BUYING a new army, you can spend it instead on a commission painter and get all your other shit painted.
There are so many commission studios out there now, its ok to do it. They are all in business somehow. A lot of people only have time to play and cant spend time painting so it makes sense to have someone else do it for you.

White+gold armour is pain in ass to execute.
Other than this, I just have to pick their horns, hooves, beaks and make weapons' blades to finish them off.

Thanks again to the user that recommended Super Clean. I've still gotta go back over some bits but happy for the most part. Worked wonders on metal. Shame I used black primer all those years ago, since I read it's a bitch to get off. Now to build and kitbash and the fun stuff.

Try using Crypt Ghouls from GW, they have a similar hunched-over build that can be changed with some cutting and light greenstuff. They're also in about the same size-range as most Skitarii/mechanicum units, so that will probably help the kitbashing somewhat.

>using a gravestone as a spawn

as a chaos player I find this very fitting

Oh, and found these guys but with no weapons. What's a good alternative? I'm thinking the Chaos Heavy Bolter, the two handed one.

Currently have:

Half finished Death Guard.

To paint: 6 Bikers, 10 Posessed, a Defiler, 5 terminators and a lord, 5 raptors, Typhus and a Rhino.

Blood Angels: Furioso Dread, 5 Death Company, Astorath, drop pod, Rhino, Predator, scout snipers. (I have 5 scouts and 10 other DC I'm currently working on)

Orks: 20 Boyz, 10 lootas, 3 bikers, 1 Trukk, 5 nobs and a Warboss

10 30k World Eaters and a Contemptor Dread

WHFB:
2000 pts of Empire
2000 pts of Lizardmen

I also have a Tomb Kings army and an Ogres army that I'm not sure if I'm keeping or selling yet. I also have assorted Dwarves.

I have a fucking problem and too much money.

tomb kings are worth $$$. sell em.

Absolutely not. I work really slowly because I like to convert my dudes and I jump between armies but they are my dudes and I'll paint them myself someday, I suppose

Nice, those would work perfectly. Thanks.

Finally got my SC! Skitarii box in, and after spending several hours having fun with magnets, I started painting up the Vanguard Alpha to see if I'm sold on the color scheme. So far I'm liking it, still have lots of work to do though.

can anyone help me discern how this thing was painted?

Hi /wip/.

How do I do a good pale with a hint of blue flesh tone?

I want to do something withthe skin of a human an ice sorceress - still definitely human, but definitely ice magic-y.

I'm worried that just blending in a bit of blue to the last few highlights will look at best shit, and at worst a horrible brown smudge.

I was thinking do pale skin, white-ish highlights and then the final highlights a very pale blue, but that might all look to blue.

I don't really know what to do with it.

Pic related is the model - limited edition Rasputina from Malifaux.

purple glazes over pale skin

Are 40k and WHF supposed to take place in the same universe, just on opposite ends of the timeline?

>mystery incorporated scheme

it bothers me that after all the care and effort put into that model, they couldn't be fucked to dust it before taking pictures

>Are 40k and WHF supposed to take place in the same universe, just on opposite ends of the timeline?

Once upon a time, before the Dark Age of Technology, GW officially stated that WHFB took place on one of the many planets that made up the WH40K universe, but since then, that statement has been abandoned.

The Warhammer world exists in the 40k universe. They share the Old Ones, the Chaos gods, the Warp/Real of Chaos, Orks, etc.

There was also a time when Chaos champions could receive things like plasma pistols and chainswords in WHF.

Shade with purple and go for paler flesh tones that go towards the greyer desaturated spectrum.
If you use actual blue she might end up looking a bit smurfy.
Maybe look into how people do demonette skin for GW slaanesh demons.
Sounds like a problem somebody might have solved for you already there.

it changes depending on which decade the material you read is from

A planet makes sense. Why was it abandoned? Hard to explain why it hadn't been cleansed yet?
Holy shit now I want to build that. That's awesome.
Ah, gotcha.

Finally got everything I need to assemble muh Remora. Postan steps slowly as they happen.

But painting and converting are the two parts of the hobby I really enjoy. I've only played about 5 games of anything in the last 6 or 7 years. I've finished up a bunch of warbands for stuff like Inq28, Empire of the Dead, Necromunda and so on, but never a full army for any system.

I currently have a full WHFB Skaven army, an AoS Tzeentch Arcanites army, a large footslogging IG army, a 30K Mechanicum army and an absolute ton of other stuff either built, primed or partially painted but never finished. It's so morale destroying that they're all hidden away in boxes or cupboards.

>Grey
>look into how people do demonette skin for GW slaanesh demons.
Great shout, cheers user.

You can read about the rewards in Realm of Chaos- Slaves to Darkness, and Lost and the Damned. There should be PDFs in the WHFB OP.

Love the camo on the vehicles.

Finished this guy, just needs a varnish to gloss the gloss bits and matte the matte bits.

What do people charge nowadays for painting?

Thanks

Whats that in citadel paints?

Hey Veeky Forums, I know this isn't exactly /wip/ related (maybe a little), but I've picked up some knights models recently.
Pic related to be specific, I've decided to paint them, because besides Warhamer I'm also a huge batman nerd, and also because they look fucking awesome.

So I thought about actually giving the game a shot, and here's my question:
Have any of you played it? Is the game worth it, considering you need only a few minis to play? Any experiences, etc.?

Almost done, most of magnetizing work finished.

I did run into a problem though, it's quite flimsy. the guns move very much by themselves. I might have to add more magnets somehow..

Any of you guys know how to get the door to swing? I would hate to glue it and miss out on the inner detail.

Drill a tiny hole through the hinges and jam a paperclip in there if possible. If you want to be able to close it, consider a tiny magnet to hold it.

ask here

thanks

The amount of work this thing is needing to fucking work properly is insane. I'm at my wits' end and I'm ready to glue everything solid instead of fucking about with magnets on it, Jesus fucking christ. All so I can pat myself on the back going "durr I managed to magnetize something" and not have to cut a bigger hole in a tray.

Fuck my obsessive nature.

Pin it, but don't glue. Magnet will hold it in, pin will stop it moving.

Gun metal, and silver are from vallejo model air, and the smokey ink is from vallejo game color. Everything else is citadel.

Work is coming along on my first Iron Warrior. First time doing hazards, first time painting anything not Tau or Dark Vengeance CSM.

And here is one of the helmets i painted up. Used the PreHeresy Space Wolf anons eye idea, but instead of bloodletter, i went Ceramite White > Nihilak Oxide

Thank you, you're right. Sorry for the outburst but I had been waiting for weeks for ideas, magnet shipment and all that only to find out I can't do it..

It's working, anyway. Very slow going but I will have it done soon.

Its fine, we've all been there.

Stupid fucking Raging Heroes minis

not bad desu
work on your stripes, other than that it's pretty good.
dunno how I feel about the OLS, I'd need to see it on the assembled miniature

it took some pinning and i kept it supported overnight and the chainsword stays nicely attached now. i think it came out nice, next up greenstuff

that's a big chainsword

they have 2h versions called eviscerators.

Have any of you ever assisted to a golden daemon contest, even if just to watch? I would like to know how many prices are given in that contest. Is it just 1 bronze, 1 silver and 1 gold for each category + the sword? I ask this because I have been at other painting contests where the prizes were like 1 best of category, 3 golds, 6 silvers and 9 bronzes. If there are that many I can actually have a chance to win at least a bronze and that would justify travelling to UK and investing the next month painting for the upcoming games day.

For you

I dont have a clue, but post your best work. Also, I tought there were official gw painting contest in various countries not only uk?

I went to an american one many years back and they only did 1 for each category.
there used to be but I dont really think they do it outside of the UK anymore. It's basically been dying for years.

I can't get my orks painted for what I'd pay for a second hand army.

Barrel extensions are way overkill.
Either drop the extension entirely or place the extended part under the wingd

Managed to finally place pins and plasticard grips on the bottom to hold the guns and missiles together. I've had to reglue a few things because of accidents and me being really mad so I'm doing a lot more mistakes. Now I just have to find a way to pin the wings to the bottom of the drone top, which will be difficult as there's not much space at all.

How are they overkill? the official gun is 5.7cm long exactly, mine are 5.6cm. Moving it is impossible now, there's too much shit glued.

The original gun extends behind the wing,
your has like 9/10th sticking out from the font of it.

That makes it look an d heave inherently unstable, s'why the guns flail around so much.

It's your shit but as is. it looks more like they're supposed to be arms than guns.

I've used glazing instead of just washing on horns, and I'm getting more comfortable with this tehnique. Lookin foward for another 15 that I have left to do!

I wish I found painting fun.

I see. Well, I'm honestly too angry at this point to continue. I'm going to end up fucking it up otherwise.

I'll sleep on it and push comes to shove i will just bin everything I've done, rip off the magnets and glue everything. I just wanted to see if I can do it, but I might not be skilled enough.

My knight I'm wrapping up, I don't know what to put on her shoulders if anything

Back side

Honestly, after a few years of painting I just can't be arsed to paint units anymore, it's just production chain work, no fun at all.

Nowadays I only paint single miniatures, which I can get crazy and unleash all my potential without becoming bored or feeling like a slave in china.

Give it time, the first work is always a mess, or we'd burn you at the stake.

Here's a shitty shoop of what might be.

Speaking of making a mess...

time to convert and kitbash cool armies

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow!

If I go that route, I'll have to scrap everything but I'm close to that despite just wasting around 6 hours on this thing. I don't even know why, past "I want to fuck about with magnets because I think it'd be cool". I have the space to cut a bigass hole in a carrying tray.

All my Ork conversions have been broken apart and had damaged parts trimmed down at least three times.

I just with I'd think before I glue, but when the fey mood os on me i must create, even it it turns out to be shit.

It's how i learn, because I sure a fuck can't plan ahead for shit, or even follow my own advice and dryfit before i glue.