sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
So, what do you think we'll be getting this time? Keep in mind that this is second-to-last weekly arcana, then we're going back to monthly ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgnow.com/product/209712/Mortzengersturm-The-Mad-Manticore-of-the-Prismatic-Peak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

is 5ed good yet ?

Unearthed Arcana: Alright fuckit, playtest Martials and sorcerers

one can dream

Will we get one today?

No, but it has a lot of potential.

How would you work the first ability of the tiger totem into a weapon? I have a barb who was really torn between bear and tiger totem, and he ended up going bear. He really liked the idea of leaping into combat and going crazy. I'm going to give him some sort of magic weapon at 5 and want to channel some sort of limited use of the tiger totem leap with it. Ideas?

It was good at release.

Give him a magical +1 Pole Arm, then develop a sudden fascination with pole vaulting as a hint. Also, "limited use ability to jump good" is a terrible idea. Why would you limit it? What possible balance issue could jumping good provoke that you feel the need to say "okay mr. barb, you can jump good, but afterwards you need to sleep 8 hours before you can jump good again"

> posting Pathflounder character as OP image
> from Reddot

GO BACK TO /PFG/

Not the same poster, but I'm actually against magic items as a cure-all for martials. They rarely add anything new to the combat routine, and having a shit DM a long time ago has biased me against any type of cool buffs or abilities that can be taken away at the drop of a hat. The appeal to martials is that they can do their cool stuff consistently, and adding magic items kinda gives up that appeal.

What's a good magic item for a warlock to make things more interactive for them instead of "I guess I eldritch blast again". Homebrew is fine too, I was thinking maybe a ring of spell storing or something.

Ring of spell storing is always an option, or a staff that has preset spells in it, there are a couple in the DMG

A ring that lets them reach level 11 or a ring that makes them a different class if they find being the magical version of an archer boring.

That's pretty bad, but how exactly do you know it's a picture from reddit?

Per rest abilities are actually the most magical sounding abilities. Why is a battlemaster only allowed to trip 4 people in a special way before needing an hours rest? At will type abilities are more easily explained as "you trained in this technique, you can do it at will, per encounter type abilities are more easily explained as "you pulled this trick once against these guys, but it ain't gonna work twice against the same group". Per rest abilities just are nonsensical. You tripped 4 guys up, and now you're so tired you can't do it anymore, but you're still fully able to run forever in your full suit of plate armor while swinging your heavy ass sword around anywhere from 4 to several dozen times a second. Okay.

Rod of the Pact Keeper
Staff of the Adder (if a shillelegh warlock)
Cloak of the Hellhound
Staff of Swarming Insects

a tome that gives them normal level 1-5 spell slots instead of short rest spells. They decide if they want to use normal spell casting or 1-5 slots at the start of the day

A magic item that lets the entire group take short rests within 5 minutes like it should be

Running Lost Mines and a Fighter that is level 4 is pretty bummed out he can't do anything besides hit stuff. First time having a Fighter in a party so I'm not sure what he can do. What's up with that.

It's been good but some of the problems with have it have been smoothed over with some of the UAs

I'd say that the key thing it lacks at this point is more adventures that are in the theme of LMoP. I think in the attempt to make big adventure path modules they've somewhat forgotten the need to make 5e accessible to new DMs so that it's not just the same bunch of forever DMs that have been stuck in that role since AD&D

What archetype is he?

Autists always know shit like that, even though it's a picture that could easily work in 5e

This is a pretty common problem, and the only solution is to basically ignore or change the default rules to encourage creativity rather than stifle it. Look at his skill set, and try to come up with problems that he would be best at solving. Good combat design can also help, because people who aren't super concerned about optimizing their damage per round will take your prompts and do crazy shit in the combat. But if he's a min/maxer, just let him respec, because he's going to be stuck hitting stuff for a long time.

Yep, archetype and background choices can have a big impact on gameplay.

As a DM I encourage every player to build character with the assumption that 1/3rd of the game will be exploration, 1/3rd will be social interaction, and 1/3rd will be combat focused.

If PCs are built for combat only then they are definitely going to be bored.

But seriously it doesn't require that much of an investment to make sure that you have a decent Wisdom + Perception and a decent Social Skill + Charisma.

Dedicated Face characters are cancer.

Champion.

Do you think that's why bards are so good this edition? They decided to make them way more useful than just a face and went a little over board?

It's not even the standard half-dressed weeb images that typically are used in /pfg/.

Yeah the art is meh deviantart tier stuff but it's still pretty standard level of realism

Champion is ass, tell him to switch to Battle Master.

He's fucked then, unless you let him re-pick and tell him go Battlemaster.

>Dedicated Face characters are cancer.
Whats a dedicated face character? I get in something like shadowrun you can make a character that is just social and useless at everything else, but how is that even possible in D&D 5e?

Some people can still pull it off by playing bard and being either stupid or putting everything, even spells, into social stuff and nothing else.

Bards are more powerful this edition (although they were decent in 4e as well) it's just that most groups do something like having the bard handle every social interaction because Cha 20 + Bard Skill selections means that they can typically Roll through most social encounters.

But seriously in towns encourage the PCs to separate and pursue various downtime activities. You shouldn't need to drag the bard out of the tavern just to do a shopping trip to the market.

Let him switch to battlemaster, remember to give your PCs short rests.

Champion is total beer and pretzels this is the character sheet you give to the first time gamer who is a drop into your campaign archetype.

It's 100% about hitting shit hard and doesn't even have the flavor of Barbarian.

Has anyone here ever played a Purple Dragon Knight? I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about them

There is very little to talk about because they don't do anything interesting.

I heard that mundane gears are overprice in CoS. Would that apply to spell material components too? Is there even a place where I can purchase some diamond for revivify?

It's shit. Even battlemaster does a better job of being a warlord than PDK does.

If you're interested in homebrew, I've been working on some fighter tweaks as part of a larger project to re-balance 5e. Champion fighter is changed a lot to be more active and not always about just hitting things. I'd love any criticism you have for it as well.

She wear Pathfinder's SJW deity holy symbol
REEEEEEEE

All these suggestions for switching to battle master but he's bored of just hitting things.

Have him go eldritch knight. It's got some good versatility as they gain the non-forced abjuration/evocation spells.

What books do you recommend getting after PHB, MM, and DMG?

Volos if DM, which I assume you are.

Volo's guide to monsters if you're a DM. Also, every book is in the mega right in the OP, just in case you're not too rich.

Sword Coast Adventuerer Guide, Elemental Evil, and Volo's Guide to Monsters if you're a player

If you're a DM obviously the setting books are all good.

Guys, how should I build a rogue scout?

Is it even good? That mobility looks fun.

Hey guys. I've been thinking lately about getting into 5th edition, and seeing Tales From the Yawning Portal is pretty much got me locked in at this point.
I'd like to run the Tomb of Horrors for my group, with them using the Remnant subrace for a respawn/ Dark Souls style mini-adventure.

I have my concerns though. Does anyone know if the Tomb of Horrors is the best dungeon to use with this?

Tomb of Horrors is short as fuck, user.

What deity is that?

It's a solid archetype. /5eg/ seems to prefer the swashbuckler and the arcane trickster but I like the mobility and nature skill aspects to the scout.

Makes it function as a decent Ranger replacement and it's solid if you are willing to be a ranged sniper kiting the opposition.

Saranrae who is pretty much the Pathfinder drop in replacement for sun dieties like Lathander and Pelor.

Sounds like Curse of Strahd would work better for that, unless you wanted it to be really short

Just read the wiki and don't see anything SJW that stands out, only thing could be "muh SJWs replaced x god!" Because her realm being the sun, easy fix is that the others exist but either act differently or view their duty in a different light and have a difference of method.

I hate SJWs as much as the next but make sure it's an actual issue besides "they made an alternative, which can easily be ignored and not included in your games."

SCAG, EE.

Read up adventures next.

Everything else is optional.
Only some UAs are passable for usage.

Start as a variant human monk with mobile and take next 3 levels in Scout.

You get expertise on 4 skills and proficiency in 5 skills.

Play it as a mobile survivalist and use ranged weapons till you have extra attack as a monk.

They're a female deity which includes some war aspects ("swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge"), favors peace and compassion, and is described as bronze of complexion.

For some people, any one of those three is a "REEEE SJW" aspect. All three is like nails on a chalkboard. Admittedly these are often times the same people who complain about the picture used for the human page in the 5E handbook.

>They're a female deity which includes some war aspects ("swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge"), favors peace and compassion, and is described as bronze of complexion.

Isn't that literally athena out of real world grecian mythology?

>scimitar
>swift, compassionate justice delivered peacefully. Or did I mix those up
>Bronze

Its really just that they don't know what they're doing. I could sneeze and hit 3 tumblr pages with as much quality and thought.

>Makes it function as a decent Ranger replacement and it's solid if you are willing to be a ranged sniper kiting the opposition.

I think it offers a lot more utility than a ranger.

Yes it is, but I can see point and it's idiots like that who reeee over every little thing that hurt gaining ground when there is actually a problem. It's just like the SJWs are a parody of what they represent and therefore are hurting their own image and efforts over time, jumping the gun and doing exactly the same is how we end back at square one instead of actual balance.

Sweet summer child, you've never seen ancient deities labeled as SJW shit?

Case and point: Almost Literally Athena is tumblrina shit.

>Sweet summer child, you've never seen ancient deities labeled as SJW shit?

If they were good, they wouldn't have to donutsteel an existing God.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

>They're a female deity which includes some war aspects
But no one dislikes Red Knight

If I remember correctly these have been debunked as a fetishists personal interpretation haven't they?

Explain it like exploits. It's not a fatigue pool, it's the player taking control of randomly available circumstances. The player has a limit on narrative manipulation though.

You would be surprised. I've had to walk people on Veeky Forums through a list of scholarly sources a mile long just to prove that the likes of Scythian horse archers and Goths of the XX-variety even existed, let alone were within spitting distance of the realm of being slightly plausible in a fantasy setting. There's a… distressingly high number of fa/tg/uys who think that female PCs should be limited to the Rogue or Caster archetypes only.

The very existence of wizarding staffs is people stealing Tolkien's donutsteel of Odin (Gandalf's staff a reference to Odin's portrayal as a wanderer and its association with the experience such brings).

D&D's Tiamat was, at one point, quite literally Tiamat from Babylonian mythology who at some point became a bit draconic.

In general, many fantastical settings rip rather heavily from real-world examples because it saves a lot of time on the creator's part.

Metacurrency, explaining why the boxes the fighter used to trip up an enemy weren't available for use before the fighter tried to use them, like that doesn't work for every group. For most groups, they'd rather have magic powers than the ability to cheat the plot. And it's an issue that is easily avoidable if you just avoid doing per rest type powers.

If you don't like it, the Champion/Slayer/Knight is right over there? I mean, it's not really my problem. I just see a few really dedicated people determined to explain why something they don't like is bad.

I cant enter WotC's webside in my job's computer. Is the new arcana out?

Not yet, alas.

Sure, its used for familiarity and relatability. But there's an, admittedly subjective, area where it crosses from inspiration to donutsteel. Its the difference between drawing or tastefully photoshopping your item and recoloring it. The former shows at least a semblance of effort while the latter is almost insulting. All artists steal, but the skill is in how you mold what you steal.

As an aside thought, for as much as SJWs protest appropriation, they do an awful lot of it themselves. Its rather fitting

Champion is also flawed dude, because it's the do nothing but attack class. Remember the context of how this discussion started: Someone was talking about how martial cantrip like features could be the new maneuvers. Then some moron said that made no sense, but somehow metacurrency makes more sense and isn't just "plot magic". I can't tell if you are that moron, but if you are, try to remember the context.

Making a Moon Domain to use with my Cleric of Eilistraee since I didn't feel like playing a Bard again. What spells would you guys suggest for domain spells? I've got Faerie Fire and Moonbeam so far.

Here's what I've got so far feature wise.

1st level: Bonus Proficiencies: Expertise in Performance and Acrobatics.

2nd level: Channel Divinity: Moon Lust
Make a melee spell attack against one creature. If you hit, the target makes a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail they stare at the moon or imagine it in their mind and are stunned for 1 minute, repeating the save at the end of their turn.

6th level: Moonblade: If you hit an enemy concentrating on a spell with a melee weapon attack they have disadvantage on the concentration check. Additionally, shapeshifters take an extra 1d8 radiant damage when hit with a melee weapon attack.

8th level: Divine Strike: same as usual, extra radiant damage scaling on hit blah blah.

17th level: The High Hunt: You can use your action to dance between any number of creatures within 15ft of you and make a melee attack against any number of them, using a separate attack roll for each. Needs a short rest to be used again. You do not provoke Opportunity Attacks while dancing between enemies.

It's not very flexible (basically locked into being a melee gish) but I feel it fits the fluff for a follower of Eilistraee.

Prismatic Peak now out, anyone already take a look at it?

rpgnow.com/product/209712/Mortzengersturm-The-Mad-Manticore-of-the-Prismatic-Peak

This has a simple quick fix

Look at attack actions
Look at the monsters
>Charge for charging
>Tail attacks to cause prone
>Pincers for bear hugs

Apply.
Also, Martials are supposed to get more magic items than casters to do more shit
Play with better DM's

Not that dude and
>not reading the spoiler

Anyway, my fix to the champion is to give them 1d6 they can spend to boost a damage roll, attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. It recovers at the start of each of their turns.

And WotC stole my idea by giving it to the Monster Slayer.

>Tere's a… distressingly high number of fa/tg/uys who think that female PCs should be limited to the Rogue or Caster archetypes only
I find they're often the same kind that are totally okay with Plate armor not turning all slashing damage into less bludgeoning damage, or chain mail being cheaper and lighter than plate. The fact that women in the setting do not adhere to the biology of real life bothers them but all the art of double headed waraxes doesn't is so weird to me.

>do nothing but attack class
>Flawed
That isn't a flaw, its for people that want to do nothing but attack. Some people don't like keeping track of a bunch of things and just prefer the roleplaying aspect of the game.

I'll be blunt, this comes off a lot as "It's okay when we do it, but when SJWs do it it's shit", similar to the whole Indie Developer spat where it was lolcooledgy to make games that took jabs at anti-Gators but it was shameless selling out to take jabs at Gators (or the other way around, flip the examples and which was being bitched at at your leisure).

Warhammer Fantasy's Nehekharan pantheon quite thoroughly ripped off the real-world Egyptian pantheon to the point of often having the same animal be representative of the same divine (ex: Djaf = Death Jackal, Anubis = Death Jackal; Basth & Bastet), yet few people batted an eye at that. As said a lot of D&D's pantheon was quite literally ripped from our world canonically (without even the names or serial numbers filed off) and just plugged in going "Have fun!" with several more blatantly inspired by other gods. Zelda, Morrowind's Tribunal, and so-on all heavily rip from the Trimurti for their trio of divines and how they're represented / what each individual divine does.

Those people can do nothing but attack and ignore extra abilities then. I'll never understand why WotC caters to literally the dumbest players in the world in its design for 5e.

How would you play a chronomancer-type wizard without homebrew?

Cast nothing but haste and slow

>play a class based around manipulating time without homebrew

Refluff Divination wizard and every spell. Your fireball isn't a fireball. Instead you're summoning fire from when the sun grows past the earth's orbit, transplanting that fire very briefly into this instant instead of the far future.

refluffing is ultimately unsatisfactory and dumb though. Get some good homebrew.

Diviner, preferably with either the Lucky feat or (1 or 6) levels of Wild Mage. Portents and Lucky / Wild Mage stuff fluffed as relating to minor manipulation of the time stream.

Focus on damage types like Force or Radiant / Necrotic or the like, fluffed as things such as rapid aging or rejuvenation or whatnot. Take utility spells such as Blur and Mirror Image and Haste and whatnot that you can readily reskin with a time streamer flair.

You know, I once did an informal poll here on /5eg/ and I found that people would rather have IRL deities in their setting than new ones, since most people think that invented deities just become cheap knockoffs. I totally agree with that stance, and there's a reason I have IRL deities in my setting for the most part rather than new ones. I'd rather have a player who worships Thor than Kord.

I'm playing a moon druid in a desert setting. What are some fun beast shapes that could fit that desert theme? So far I'm using giant spider, giant hyena, and deinonychus (the setting also has dinos).

Its good when its good.

I subjectively judge what is good and I'll complain about things based on that subjectivity because that's all I can do.

The other issue is imposition, which is a huge part I take issue with that I neglected to mention. Like the other user said, it can be palatable in portions, but the more you add the more rustling it gets. You get a similar and appropriate reaction for people trolling poorly; disdain and mockery until they change their heathen ways.

Giant scorpion, when you can.

Giant scarab beetle, camel, vulture

Diviner Halfling Wizard with the lucky Feat.
Luck is refluffed into time hick ups.
Hold person and hold monster spells are time freezes as is Slow Haste and Feather Fall

You also forgot to mentioned that she is a Lawful Good diety who promote compassion but she is totally fine with slavery and aggressive military invasion when it did by her follower. Pretty much what her LE counterpart did. But the only difference is that she is "good" because Paizo need a strong woman who need no man.

don't forget the small creatures too. Snakes and bats are always fun for flavor.

Probably not overpowered, needs proper wording for champion using superiority dice. Is it when they use a maneuver, or they can just choose to use a superiority dice just for the sake of possibly making it a crit.

Why arent battlemaster manuevers a core part of being a fighter? Arent you meant to be a martial master?

When I started playing I played a champion fighter, I didn't know what the fuck maneuvers were and I just wanted to play.

It's good cause there is no other class like it that teaches the simplicities. We have a champion fighter in one of our games cause he is brand new to table top. He will learn and grow but in the meantime he is critting on 19s and feels good.

Plus it takes literally no time to make a champion sheet. Make a level 10 champion fighter? No big deal like 5 minutes. Level 10 wizard? Give me an hour and I'll have only most of it done

It's a mystery that WotC has yet to explain or justify to my knowledge.

So whenever someone asks for Sorcerer spell advice, I have to ask "What's your Meta? What's your Origin?" like they're some kind of comic book superhero. So we need to give some superhero names to different types of sorcerers. Thoughts?

I like the words the book uses in this case. It's a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures. So it's Naruto gang-signs, a secret handshake, or flipping someone off, depending on the spell. Counterspell is definitely that last one.

Fey or not, there's still room for the common possibly magical realm, but common 'enchanting' sorceress/sorcerer archetype.

Best girl won and everyone knows it

How do I do a dwarf rogue /5eg/?

Pick a dwarf and choose the Rogue class.

Second Wind and Action Surge is more than enough. More ASIs for feats is great too.

Maneuvers are for REAL martial prowess, not aiming for headshots 24/7 and magic.

How do I do it *well