pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
So, the new arcana. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>So, the new arcana. What do you think?
A bunch of poorly thought out "feats" most of which should just be base features of proficiency in a skill.

It's alright. I would allow all of them but I don't see me ever taking them as a player.

More bullshit rushed out at the last second

General reminder that at all levels the daily encounters is more like 3-6 than 6-8. Taking level 7, for example, a medium encounter is up to 1099 XP per PC and the daily budget is 5000 XP per PC, so you can exhaust the budget in 5 encounters with none of them being Hard. Even at the minimum 750 XP per PC, it's only 6 and 2/3s.

It's called planting. The UA even calls it planting.

Our group is REALLY light on roleplay and I'm not too crazy about that. What do you guys do to encourage roleplay to a greater extent? Or DM tends not to stress anything in between encounters. Downtime really only occurs in between sessions

>expertise without level dipping
+1 to relevant stat
>minor utility feature to keep things interesting
They're fine. Not great, but more than acceptable.

Please take the survery. We know that WoTC actually looks at feedback, because loremaster.
sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

Convince me to play an oath of devotion paladin, Veeky Forums. They look so drastically worse than the other oaths.

What did they do with loremaster?

How many 5th-level spells would be reasonable for a Spell Points system?

I'm tinkering with numbers, I have 3 at 11th and 9 at 20th, is it yet too much?

>pre-generated equipment
>archetypes with 0 customization
>requirements for multiclassing to compensate for frontloaded classes
>ranger gets full spellcasting because wizards can't make it viable otherwise
>monks get magic (ki) powers because wizards can't make it viable otherwise
>fighter gets magic because wizards can't make it viable otherwise

Could this edition honestly be any worse? The only good part of it is the proficiency mechanic. I won't even go into how retarded the damage / hit points / challenge rating structure is.

Quite shit. As said seem to be slightly rushed, and the ribbons tacked on should be a feature of having proficiency in that skill anyways, given a reasonable DM and imaginative players.
That said, I love feats that increase ability scores and what amounts to expertise is nice.

If I start running a proper game any time soon I might consider giving everyone one of these feats to start, but they can only take one relevant to their background or if it really helps the character concept.

Talk to the group about it. See if that's the kind of fun they want to have. I think minor systemization is a good way to encourage people into more freeform stuff.

What the fuck is this bait.

It could be 3E.

Yes, yes its a fucking travesty and we are all beaten housewives who keep coming back. Now fuck off and find a game you like enough to talk about instead of wasting your time talking about ones you don't like.

Personally when the party is done and gets to town I ask them "what do you guys want to do" and that will dictate where and what they do.

To help encourage rp I try to mix in potential quests and perks for getting to know locals, like befriending the owner of a shop could net you a discount on their items. Later it might lead to you helping them and getting a bigger reward.

Also another way I encourage rp is give them a chance to find alternative ways to solve a quest by introducing hints on who to talk to.

Is there any kind of centralized religion in Forgotten Realms? I see a lot about deities, but not so much about actual religious institutions, which I imagined would be quite important for governing paladins, clerics and the like.

They essentially said "loremaster was a mistake, here, take a look at war magic instead".

A warlock gets 3 5th level spell slots at level 11, refreshing on a short rest.

Did they actually say that, or are you just reading into things?

If the gods get along then their churches tend to as well is about the extent of it I think.

Just gonna reiterate what I said last thread about this shit. Every time they seem to try to touch feats with skills they end up taking away from the skill more than the end up adding interesting options. This shit is even present in the PHB from the start:

>Grappler: I can't try to hold a creature down pinning them without training? What the fuck?
>Observant: I couldn't just read their lips with a perception check?
>Keen Mind: The only thing not retarded about this feat is +1 Int

While its nice to have some more options to get +1s to ability scores at level 1, I generally just don't like the direction of these feats, reminds me of some of the retardation in 3.PF's feats and that's not a good direction to go in.

He is retarded. No, he isn't pretending, but he thinks he is.

That is what is being read into, "Based on the feedback we got from Loremaster, here's War Mage"
And you can see which parts of Loremaster the War Mage has.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited

>War Magic is an option we’re exploring after reading your feedback on Lore Mastery and seeing interest in a war mage option.

It could be 4e, also, which is a vastly superior game.

> AC actually scales with level
> class balance
> no retarded spell slots and vancian casting
> minions so you can actually fight shit

All 5fags can do when confronted with the superior black cock of 4e, is go "muh bounded accuracy!!" without realizing that 4e also had bounded accuracy and that a level 20 fighter getting exactly 0% better at defending himself against gnolls and orcs, is not a sign of good game design.

How much can you even lift in 5e?

My party currently has some problems "sticking to the script" as it were.
I feel like I'm the one constantly taking the lead and pushing the plot forward. The DM is railroading a bit (we currently have a contract that none of us signed, but we're honor bound [well 3/4ths of us; the others are "don't care lol" and a mercenary who owes us a favor]) and I'm constantly saying things like "Let's just get this over with and we can voice our displeasure later to the one financing the operation."
And if I step back then nothing will get done, but I think that might be a good idea. I think I'm just happy because I'm a forever DM and I finally get to play.

Eldritch knight is the worst choice for fighter though.

I'm sorry ... you think AC scaling with level is ... a good thing? Son, you are literally retarded.

>4rries delusional
If it was such a good game, how come it was such a failure?

>no vancian casting
But AEDU is super vancian. Well, more vancian than 5E's "everyone is a spontaneous spellcaster" version, at any rate.

There's literally no reason to take the acrobatics feat when mobile let's you ignore difficult terrain as a passive ability...

Not when Samurai and Knight exist

IIRC, they said the war mage was based on feedback that specifically expressed an interest in War Magery. Not criticism of loremaster (though there was a ton of that).

>without realizing that 4e also had bounded accuracy
4E has a treadmill. It is a well-tuned treadmill, but it's still a treadmill.

Ssssshhhhhhh it's ok, wizards has no fucking clue what they are doing.

All 4e fags can do is spam 5e threads because their game is too shit to have threads of its own.

Mobile lets you ignore it when you Dash only. Meaning that you shouldn't take Acrobat as a rogue when you could take mobile. For others it's... okay-ish, especially if you're not Strength-focused but really but want to escape grapples and such easily.

>dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited

>theurgy

mah dick, fuck what would be a fun god for this shit

Has anyone good stories or ideas for improvisational uses of objects, mundane or arcane?
I like being prepped as I can and often buy a pile of stuff that just goes in the Bag of Holding, just in case.

>>Find glassblower in city
>>Employ him to create small baubles that can be corked
>>Fill said baubles with oil or alchemist's fire
>>The intention was to have a nice ranged effect with my slingshot
>>Only use I can recall is dropping an oil filled one in the middle of a ball to create a distraction
>>Didn't really go any where anyways

Do you have any experience of somebody cheesing it with grappling hooks and ropes or maybe a weird enchantment that ended up being useful in an outside of the box way?

It is correct that they do not say the loremaster got negative feedback. That is an interpretation that has been read into what they did say.

>your character getting better at hitting with level makes sense
>but your character getting better at defending himself with level, doesn't.

Um.

Also this. Eldritch Knight doesn't exist to make fighters viable. It exists to fill a role people will always want, the fighter/mage. It's such a popular concept that there is also the bladesinger archetype for wizards.

Used a ten foot pole as an axle that broke on a wagon once. Also used a halberd.
Ball bearings are useful.

At least I only have four types of spells to keep track of instead of nine.

Actually there is a healthy 4e general going on fairly often. We just don't have it constantly like 5e and PF fags because it allows for actual discussion, not just "lol r8 my latest homebrew race on pretty background I ripped from some 5e homebrew tool on Reddit"

>play 5e
>just another 5 levels until you get 5% better at hitting, user!

However much makes narrative sense to you and your DM.

>Eldritch knight is the worst choice for fighter though.

Prove it.

I have a totem barb

He has a spirit guide, that trained him, an orc that turns into a wolf.

He knowingly uses berserkers axe and killed a friend. He also does drugs.

I plan on taking away his totem abilities after he wakes up while traveling. The spirit guide tells him to follow the path he is on - the party will encounter a powerful dire bear. The dire bear is corrupted and has a breath weapon.

After killing it, if the player rejects the teachings about evil corrupting, the dire bears spirit is not purified and becomes his new guide, restoring his abilities

>what's my bonus to hit?
>whatever makes narrative sense to you and your DM

>how many hit points do I have?
>whatever makes narrative sense to you and your DM

>2024
>D&D's rules have been utterly destroyed by this line of thinking

>All the 4ers in this thread
>All the idiots taking them seriously

I don't know to more disappointed in desu senpai.

Where do you guys go to find online games? Me and a partner are looking to join a game as players. Is there a better place to search for a group than Roll20?

Try asking another player (in-character) what the party should do. It'll keep things moving but also give someone else a chance to contribute and steer the campaign where they want.

Craigslist

>online games
Why would you submit yourself to this garbage?

>At least I only have four types of spells to keep track of instead of nine.
If you're tracking recovery, you only have to track short rest and long rest. If you're tracking 'spells prepared', you have up to 4 encounter, 4 daily, and 8 utility that can be any of at-will, encounter, or daily. So you can have up to 16 distinct resources, at late epic.

You don't prepare spells in 4e, though, dumbass.

I used a grappling hook to attack a shark from the deck of a ship, once.

It wound up being a complete waste of time because my DM doesn't seem to like improvised weapons. I did no damage and didn't restrain the shark. All it did was waste two of my turns and force me to have to make Athletics checks to not get pulled off of the deck by the shark, despite me having higher Strength than it.

>spike bear trap into the ground
>affix flint and tinder to its closing mechanism
>fill void of trap with oil
>disguise

Basically IC communication is non existent. OOC is nothing but metagaming. I've tried having conversations IC and it just ends up with dick jokes and immature shit because they're too embarrassed to engage the game. I was thinking I would just stop responding OOC and try to get them to start IC play.

I use the gamefinder thread. Might also try the discord.

How do i justify a wizard(theurge) that worships best god?

>Sending anyone to the discord

Why do you hate him? He just wants a game to play in.

The airquotes are there for a reason.

Also, the wizard could still literally prepare spells.
I'm actually a 4rry that likes 5E

more like grey-hawkingaloogieathowbadheis

>I am a wizard who was raised in a very (insert deity here) household.

Insane self worshipping wizard that may or may not be Olly.

Never removes mask.

From the 4e book:

>Level Modifier If your new level is an even number, everything that’s based on one-half your level becomes better—your attacks, defenses, initiative, skill checks, and ability checks.

Change half level with proficiency, and I can see that being a variant rule for a more "PCs are exceptional beings" kind of game.

This tends to help a lot, at least it did for me.

When I started playing D&D again in college (I had not played in a few years) I was more on the OOC dick joke side, but the group I was in pretty much stayed in character 75% of the time and it really helps to have those guys around to keep the mood and pacing of the game.

>Never removes mask.

It would be extremely painful 5e.

It looks like there's not currently a gamefinder thread up. Where can I find the link to the discord, if you don't mind?

Tough enough to find times to meet up with our current group. We're confident we can still have fun even if the game has issues.

So, I'm a bit late on the UA train, but I've been going through the old UA Monk, and correct me if I'm wrong, but:
RAW, the wording for Kensai is terrible because the benefits refer to a Kensai weapon, but the only Kensai weapon that is also a Monk weapon in Shortsword, so you're pigeonholed into that weapon in order to gain the benefits of the martial arts class feature.

That, to me, and presumably to most of us, doesn't seem to be the intention of an eastern weapon-using martial-esque tradition, right?

How would /5eg/ feel about adding an explicit line to say that Kensai weapons are Monk weapons? It could open up some fairly interesting, if less-than-optimal, avenues (dex-spear users, for instance)

>4e had bounded accuracy because people seem to think that bounded accuracy is good and I like 4e

It's ok if you don't know what bounded accuracy is. Just don't talk about it until you've looked it up.

Everyone in 4e received uniform bonuses to everything based on their level, never stopping until max level, meaning that any monsters too far above or below your level were completely unusable. Often they had to print recolors of monsters with all the numbers higher ow lower, Elder Scrolls style, so that different parties could fight them. That is what unbounded accuracy looks like.

>meaning that any monsters too far above or below your level were completely unusable.

So anything that needs an 18+ to hit you, is completely pointless? Kill yourself, AC might as well not exist then.

>Trickery wiz
>Casting through dupes
>Literally controls the whole battlefield
>Seven proxies etc.

This may be the best 5e meme ever.

Mearls and Crawford back and forthed on the matter a bit but did say it should say Kensai weapons are monk weapons.

Appreciate it. Have a baby dragon

Ball bearings and caltrops are great.
That's really unfortunate.
I remember I tried to fight some dudes in a smithys once and grapple and put him head first into the forge
but it wasn't going well, eye roll from DM and party, so I quit and just hit him until he died. I was given a premade Champion Fighter and just wanted to spice things up
I love that, combines two trap/hazard effects really nicely. It's not very difficult to pull off with a couple of checks.

But user, diamonds are the hardest metal known to man!

>never heard of Dragonforce

You just made me physically ill. I have to go vomit now. You win user.

fighter are meant to fight, it's in their name. sure when they level up they get extra attack so as eldritch knight they can cast multiple spells a turn, but they dont even have they many slots. battle master and champion (im just listing the player's handbook info) are far superior to eldritch knight.

On a similar note I was looking into making a Captain America style build, using a shield as a weapon.
I was thinking it would either be a Battlemaster for maneuvers. An Eldritch Knight could also work with the weapon bond to the shield and little refluffing of spells, I mean Shield is there thing.
Also Kensai monk could work if the shield could be a kensai weapon but that requires DM fiat.
Fighter is probably the best option since they get enough ASI to take up feats that make it work.

Physically and/or ethnically speaking, what would be a common inhabitant of Candlekeep.

I wanted a librarian and found that place as a coherent place to be from, I imagine my character as fair skinned and shit but I'm not finding any ethnical reference about the place.

I would imagine that a cloistered scholar of Candlekeep could be any ethnicity you want, having come from elsewhere to study or whatever their backstory warrants.

>forgettable realms

Who really cares?

How can I run something like Spelljammer in 5e?

Because you only get to 4th level spells, at level 19. You are better off just multiclassing to wizard for 7 levels so you actually have full spell selection instead of just two specific schools, and taking 13 levels of a better fighter option.

do you guys use pictures when you describe environments in your campaign?

Whats the break down for actual games?

Talking about this fantasy world where there are more levels than 12 in this game is tiresome.

Yes

I run on roll20 and like to use background images all the time to set the scenes. I find its far better than having them stare at a grid all day and it also helps for organization with having NPC tokens appear on the locations that they currently are at (useful for towns and such to make them memorable)

Pic very related for my last session.

It's pretty good, free skill + expertise + 1 to stat. Not bad at all.

>Menacing Gunslinger
Why are we not excited about this?

What mask?

Oath of Devotion plus Great Weapon Master to offset the -5 to hit.

Tell your DM to use the flanking and facing rules from the DMG, suddenly 5e turns into a tactics-lite game during encounters.

Encourages party tactics by always trying to have advantage (use your GWM feat) and it let's the DM show off that some monsters or enemies are just brutal savages, or cunning tacticians, in a meaningful manner.

Their channel divinity cha to hit pairs well with great weapon master. Good against creatures with a frighten aura like dragons because of their aura feature. Most well rounded paladin archetype.