EDH/Commander general

Big Stick Diplomacy edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What are the table politics like within your group?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/before-nixilis-there-was-him/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are the table politics like within your group?

None.

Also, I asked last thread and wasn't able to check for responses. I'm playing mono red goblins in a tribal tourney.

1.) What's secret tech for Krenko? Keep in mind, I believe that any creature has to be a goblin or synergize with goblins.
2.) Whats a way to protect myself from board wipes?

Very little actually, there's basically no people at the LGS who play political decks.

I play with a bunch of different people at my LGS, so table politics can be anything from 0 to 'make deals or die.'

1) Paradox Engine. Illusionist's Bracers.

2) Give the goblins haste. Play something that burns everyone when creatures enter the battlefield( re: purphoros, warstorm surge, impact tremors). Red doesn't really have boardwipe protection, though red elemental blast / pyroblast can save you from cyclonic rift type effects.

>boardwipes in mono r
Soul of New Phyrexia and that's about it afaik. Depending on board wipes, red counterspells can also help - specifically Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast.

Limited, a little "Hit the leader" mentality and a general dash of vengeance really. It doesn't help that one player is a bit LOLRANDOM while another is timid in the extreme (Once failing to attack with 20 power of vigilant fliers across clear skies for... fear of retribution?)

I hope to change this a little by bringing a political pillow fort that incentivizes others attacking what I want attacked With Mindslaver, Master Warcraft, and the like to force the issue should persuasion fail

Something like:
>opponent plays howling mine
>I cast time warp
>regrowth into time warp
>e-wit into time warp
>expropriate into three extra turns and a stolen mana doubler
>who wants second?

>tfw going against a equipment voltron
>tfw he's attacking with all the swords equipped and he ends up losing his commander from being blocked
>tfw he starts begging me to stop out of frustration
I also did that to the Talrand player and the salt was abysmal, he was so mad because he couldn't get his sword of fire and ice triggers to draw counterspells

1) Krenko's tech isn't very secret: Lackey, warchief, magewright stone/thousand year elixir, Roar of the Crowd/Massive Raid/Goblin War Strike/Last-ditch effort to break open pillow forts
2) Kill players in "Likelihood of wipe" order. I mean you COULD run Mycosynth Lattice/Darksteel Forge or Soul of New Phyrexia but unless you plan on shitting them out reliably with Brightstone Ritual/Battle Hymn there's no point in running something that expensive in Krenko: You'll manifest 40 damage before you get your "wipe insurance" online.

Mostly "well he hit me last turn" they're slowly moving towards understanding who and what the threats are. There's one player with pretty good target selection, one with short sighted but accurate, and one who everyone just pitches their preferred game plan to. I don't have much targeted removal, I always have decks that synergize with stax, tax, or other types of symmetrical control.

Well having 2 tryhard spikes in the group we have numerous politics mostly in the form of someone playing Edric and loudly announcing what Edric does everytime. Other politics usually come from the spike who plays oloro

In token based combo decks, don't think about still being in the game when you have to worry about wipes. Krenko goblins goes fast. Goblins only needs more gas. If you are getting hit by wipes, you need more gas. is right. Also checked.

I do one thing for the good of the table and then get bitched at for the rest of the game because of it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

Can anyone help me improve this wort spell slinger deck. My first dip into EDH, I think I need some creature and wipe protection but it's difficult to fit in while keeping the combo reliable.

run goblin sharpshooter as an extra combo piece.

>G. S., Kiki-Jiki, Thornbite Staff
>ping opponent with G.S., tap Kiki-Jiki to make a copy
>copy kills itself, untapping Kiki-Jiki and G.S.
>repeat

Is the other combo Kiki + Thornbite + Lightning Crafter + Purphoros?

If you need spot removal / boardwipes: Chaos Warp, Blasphemous Act, Lightning Bolt.

Goblin Chirurgeon is cheap and can provide protection for the ones you want to protect. Consider treacherous terrain for added damage also 33 lands is way too few and you lack some of the better mana rocks

Typical game, tutoring for Krenko, Mob Boss or Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker first enabling the combos to go infinite. Worldly Tutor, Time of Need, Signal the Clans, Primal Command and Sylvan Tutor for Krenko with a good hand or Moggcatcher/Goblin Matron/Goblin Recruiter to tutor for Siege-Gang Commander for easy tokens/copying. Tutoring for more tutors like Moggcatcher either get's Krenko eventually and more goblins or clears out removal before Krenko.

Mana Echoes and Krenko, Mob Boss creates infinite mana/damage/tokens with Umbral Mantle, Thornbite Staff (and a sac source like Goblin Bombardment or Skirk Prospector/Phyrexian Altar/Ashnod's Altar), and Paradox Engine. Infinite mana can then be used for a Fireball, Burn at the Stake, Demonfire, Devil's Play, Disintegrate, or Red Sun's Zenith. Fireball or Reiterate/Conspire with Wort to take out multiple opponents at once. Without mana echos Cryptolith Rite, Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar and Skirk Prospector allow me to go infinite using tokens instead.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker goes infinite similarly with Seige-gang commander/Beetleback Chief/Lightning Crafter/Mogg War Marshal with Ashnod's Altar/Skullclamp/Skirk Prospector/Goblin Bombardment/Cryptolith Rite and Umbral Mantle/Paradox Engine/Thornbite Staff. Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker with Thornbite Staff and Lightning Crafter is particularly cheesy for doing 3 damage then sacrificing by not championing a creature.

Rituals with Mastery overloaded or Past in Flames lets me reuse everything. Without krenko, Mogg Infestation/Empty the Warrens substitutes, and as a spell it's a target for Pyromancer's Goggles/Reiterate/Conspiring.

Shamanic Revelation and Slate of Ancestry during a combo lets you draw most if not all of your deck into your hand. Mizzix's Mastery or Past in Flames lets you dump everything into play twice or more for extra style points.

Maybe I should add Sword of the Paruns though.

Riku is pretty good for fun and silly shit with how he can copy big, swingy spells or other goofy cards. His colors lend himself to that kind of stuff really well too.

Sharpshooter I subbed out for Altars, he got removed too often, but Ill sideboard him.

Chirurgeon would be good for protection, ive been running 33 just because of all the tutors, its hard to find the space, what would you recommend to take out

The issue is with people gouging others in excess and making cards unusable. They're limiting how many cards can get played at all and simply have cards rotting because they only allow a few to be bought. There's no double-standard here at all. If something exists at a fair price already that people are willing to pay and you already make a decent profit, then you're fine. Buyouts allow them to go beyond this and raise it as much as possible at the expense of the enjoyment of others.

You have said nothing that "makes me closer to scum" because I'm not trying to ruin someone else's hobby by facilitating buyouts and price gouging. Price gouging is what makes them scum, and I've personally seen vendors scam people in dishonest ways. I even mentioned as much last night. If a kid comes up to you and asks for a card and you tell him the price is far above what it actually is at market price, then you're scamming them. Just because you're the only one nearby with the card doesn't mean you should go and tell people that something is worth more than it really is.

And it's not just about my hobbies. Doing this in any hobby is scummy because you're going above and beyond to squeeze as much as you can out of people who only want to enjoy themselves. I told you that we wouldn't see eye-to-eye on this and I was right. You see no problem with raising prices in excess beyond what they reasonably should be because it makes the most money. It's not all about money and people who only get into a hobby, which other people simply want to play to enjoy, to exploit others in EXCESS (keyword here) are the problem. If anything, you're the one whose closer to scum if you think it's okay to hoard mountains of cards and make them completely unavailable to the public outside of a rare few. It's scummy as all get-out to prevent these cards from being used. And as I explained, moral highground has nothing to do with whether or not someone is scum.

Reposted because sleep.

Maybe if I can quote the right post.

Paradox Engine. Devil's Play. Goblin Rally. Red Sun's Zenith. Fireball. Battle Squadron. Burn At the Stake.

the only x-cost burn spell you need is the uncounterable one.

>Secret Tech for Krenko

pic related

agreed battle squad is trash but he has no way to tutor for the burns which are his main win con. Also Paradox engine is good for getting the combo going, I would have said take out the Thousand year Elixer (panus is better for the infinite untapping), maybe go down a couple of burns and up some lands?

Riku does look fun, holy moly. Do you have any other recommendations?

It depends, what kind of colors are you into? I'd say every 3-color combo has potential for fun.

Demonfire, Desintegrate, Fireball (wtf where's Comet Storm??) and Geosurge look kind off.

About the wrath protection: Heroic Intervention, Chirurgeon was already mentioned, Creeping Renaissance, Restock maybe?

Reposting my Enchantress deck for feedback and hate - would very much appreciate any response at all, just notice me already, senpai.

Also what's your tech for dealing with mass exile/unsummon effects that bypass both indestructible and hexproof?

Finally, what would you cut from this deck for a third counterspell?

And I, like a retard I am, forgot the link

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/

I like Black. I'm trying to put together a Nekusar deck since the idea of giving everyone cards (at a minor cost) and then watching them blow each other up sounds great.

I feel that a deck being perceived as fun by the other people at the table has more to do with the 99 than the commander. Focus on adding some interactive cards, for example ones that allow opponents to make choices. Fact or Fiction, while a good card by itself, is fun for that reason. From my experience multiplayers-specific cards and keywords are often appreciated as well. For a fun deck I'd also throw in a few chaotic red cards with coin flip effects or something to that effect. But don't go overboard with these, playing against complete grouphug or chaos decks decks can easily get old.

Kekusar is more about showing cards down their throats until they choke on them to be honest. And then wheeling it away only to push in some more.

Fun commander to play but I've only seen Athraxa and Leovold draw more instant hate than him.

>Also what's your tech for dealing with mass exile/unsummon effects that bypass both indestructible and hexproof?
Mass blink?

>tfw people never hate on my Nekusar because "free cards lel"

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

oh shit nice i thought the only commander this year was going to be the anthology

So wich tribes will be picked and why?

>TRIBAL
Oh please give me some good tribal staples. I am also super suprised to hear how fast this set is coming out.

I guess tribal decks aren't that hard to design

>most popular
Goblin, elfs and the likes it seems

my trick for winning edh games at a big table is to pretend to be land fucked and just put my head down on the table while everyone beats the hell out of each other.

>56 new cards
woah is that as much as last time or more?

Snakes, Rebels, Viashino, Skeletons

I would think that the big 2 are Elves and Goblins, after that there are more options like Soldiers, Wizards(Please no), Merfolk, Zombies and Slivers/Allies.

>tribal
Oh, it's nothing.

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18
>Tribal
Hey, maybe I'll be skipping a year of precons! Usually there's something I want because either it can make a good backbone, or there's a cool lore character like Feldon or Sidar or Freyalise that wasn't printed yet, but tribal is just about the lowest level of no-effort crap that...

>Cut to August
>Angel Tribal with Serra (PW?) Commander
>Wizard tribal helmed by Jodah, Archmage Eternal
>Inevitable Zombie tribal probably just reprints Lim-Dul for the vorthos set but otherwise has a ton of staples
>Maybe there'll be nothing in goblins and elves? It's not like there are any great...
>Kickass Mercadian Goblin and Belbe as secondary commanders
>FML

Minotaurs, Giants, Gremlins, Angels

>gremlins

glad im not the only one who thinks tribal decks are noob tier trash that play themselves.

Depends on if they go allies, enemies, shards, wedges, or monocolor.

Monocolor: Humans, Soldiers or Angels; Merfolk or Wizards; Zombies; Goblins; Elves

Allied: Birds; Zombies; Minotaurs or Goblins; Beasts; Cats? Treefolk? Not sure what Selesnya does

Enemy: WB Clerics, possibly ft. Zombies; WR Soldiers; UR Wizards; UG ... Merfolk? Mutants?; BG Elves

Shard: Knight or Soldier; Wizard or Artificer; Zombie; Goblin; Beast

Wedge: Mardu Warriors; Jeskai Monks or Wizards; Temur Shamans; Sultai Zombies; Abzan Elves

>Playing Casual EDH
>Play this
>Play Blasphemous Act for 1 mana
>Kills everything but this.
>Remove counter
>Win game a few turns later by punching people in the face with it while they can't do anything.

Is this okay with you?

>new legendary gremlin

So 4 between:
>MonoR/Rakdos/Jund gobbos
>MonoG/Gruul/Naya elfs
>MonoB/Dimir/Grixis zombies
>MonoU/Azorius/Esper wizards
>MonoW/Selesnya/Bant humans

DRAGONS
PLEASE I JUST WANT MORE DRAGONS

You hardcast Myojin from the 99 and nobody had instant removal to float mana for to just reset everything, you deserved it.

>casual EDH
>MLD
bruh...

With that said, if they knew what this guy does and ran a damage-based boardwipe into him without an answer, they deserve everything that happened to them afterwards

>>Win game a few turns later

Thats where I am ok with it. If you are just firing off an obliterate with no follow up then I am going to be annoyed.

Yeah, I don't see a problem. You played 2 sorcery-speed cards for 11 mana and no one had instant-speed removal or counters.

As long as you didn't remove the counter on the same turn you cast blasphemous act.

>board wipe protection
>in mono red
>in a krenko deck

I mean, Soul of New Phyrexia, but goblins and Krenko are fucking fast, 1 turn after a board wipe you should already have a full army of angru gobbos.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/before-nixilis-there-was-him/

I posted this last thread but went to sleep before I could see if there was any feedback. The landbase isn't fully optimized which I am working on if there is anything that seems out of place let me know what I should replace it with.

>implying your 13 damage would even scratch my commander

Not him, but I figure you remove it on the next player's upkeep before folks can do shit to recover but after the damage wears off.

Master warcraft doesn't allow you to choose who is attacked, only which creatures attack. Who they attack is still up to the controller, that's why it's actually kind of a shit card in multiplayer, since anyone with a brain will just send all their shit at you.

What if they meant the more RAD tribes?
Dragons, Angels, Vampires and Wurms

>Have 40/40 War Elemental
>Play Rupture on it

Even if you want to call it a draw, we all know I'm the winner.

1st for edric.

Having a high powered edh group is fun because there's less grovelling and "politics" and more of actually playing the game with legitimate decision trees.

The deck is meant to say "Go ahead I'm behind Crawlspace and 7 mana-per-creature of propaganda effects.". If they can attack out at ME when I drop Warcraft and demand they attack out I deserve what I get.

>loudly announcing what Edric does everytime

I'd imagine it's to not miss any triggers, Edric has to be extra careful in my playgroup as when he overswings people just scoop to deny him his draws lol.

>new minotaur legendary in amonkek
>commander minotaur tribal

This card gonna spike in value

SLIVERSSSSSSSSSSSSS

wizards, goblins, zombies, humans
This is the only correct list of tribes, and you know it.

Demons? In my minotaur tribal deck? It's more likely than you think.

Whenever I see Sire I think of the guy at my LGS who played it and Necropotence within a turn of each other. Everyone at the table agreed the game was now a 3 player game.

Too simple. If EDH newbies (who buy precons) can handle 4colored decks, then they can handle weird creature types.

GIVE ME AN ABZAN-COLORED ELF LORD, ESPER MERFOLK LORD AND JUND GOBBO LORD PLEASE PLEASE

absolutely devilish

Best, most popular tribes:
Elf, Goblin, Zombie, Wizard

Coolest tribes:
Angel, Demon, Wurm, Soldier

>camel
>CAMEL

>camel tribal

the 56 new cards are all camels

>we want the middle-eastern audience

You won't get all three of those at once (Odds of Wizards mixing shards and wedges: near zero) and you won't get any by shouting.

What are the chances of each deck having multiple new choices for commanders, or dare i say: partner commanders

>ape
>APE

>monkey tribal

the 56 new cards are all apes

>we want the african audience

every deck so far has come with multiple choices of commanders in addition to the face commander.

I sincerely doubt they will bring partner back for this though.

Please, no more of that.

How strong would you rate pic related or her marduu sister in a meta of Yisan, Prossh, Sharuum or Sisay?

Currently playing Oloro just to punish them but it gets boring fast.

I have no idead if she can keep up with the ramping...

pls no

>gremlin
>GREMLIN

>gremlin tribal

the 56 new cards are all gremlins

>we want the Joe Dante audience

Might be both a camel and a monkey legendary

would be pretty neat

>skeleton
>SKELETON

>skeleton tribal

the 56 new cards are all skeletons

>we want the undead audience

>tfw my favorite vintage deck is skeletons
>tfw innocent blood
>tfw sadistic glee

I'd be down for Skeletons. They don't get a lot of love as it is. The same could be said for several archetypes, but Skeletons sound like a lotta fun.

It actually wouldn't surprise me.
>GW Soldiers
Sidar Kondo+new partner

>RW Soldiers
Akiri+new partner

>RB Gobbos
Vial Smasher

UG Merfolk
Thrasios+New partner

I don't like it at all, but I can't imagine how else they'll print the alt-commander like they do without it being mind-numbingly boring. They also printed all of these 2 color legends in good tribes right before announcing tribal decks.

>gay
>GAY

>gay tribal

the 56 new cards are all gays

>we want the homosexual audience

GW Knights, I'm retarded.

>He runs jitte, sheoldred, elesh norn and vorinclex in one deck
>Complains when I play ruination

Mother fuck

>plays all that shit
>expects to not get run over by more focused decks
He brought it on himself.

Ruination exists to punish greed and 3+c goodstuff, you're doing god's work.

>I have no creatures out, he has 5
>I play repercussion followed by blasphemous act.
>I win the game and he calls it bullshit

that teaches him not to play all his creatures out on the field at once, in big games with big cards, board wipes are as common as wiping your ass after you take a shit.

Ruination and its friends (like Back to Basics and Blood Moon) are only as good as your opponent's mana base is greedy. You reap what you sow

Because he won?