Anima Beyond Fantasy

I wanted to start a thread to talk about Anima: Beyond Fantasy from Fantasy Flight Games.

I'm planning on starting a game in the near future based on Fate and Project K mashed up, and I decided that Anima would be a good game for that sort of thing. I feel I'm fairly familiar with the rules, but I'd still like to see if there's anyone with experience who may be able to offer advice or tips. Particularly, I've had trouble deciding what the best way to incorporate firearms into the system. I'm also a little concerned about the rule that a character struck in combat loses their turn that round.

Also Anima general, I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B23TGGq0DVCELWE0WXNBRHhJMXM?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump?

Interested party bump

I picked up the book ages ago after seeing how ridiculous the character sheet is. Problem is, I can't fucking make heads or tails how to make a character. So the book has been collecting dust on my shelf.

I've made a few characters before. This pdf helped me a lot along the way, though it took me a few tries to get a handle on everything.

Looks pretty helpful. I'll give it a shot once I have the time. thanks user.

this will help you a lot during combats

Have a look for "Anima: Beyond Science". It's a fan made supplement, for sci-fi/cyberpunk.

Firearms are already in the system. They're just average ranged weapons. Also there is a premade ki style for more gun examples.
As for losing round thats to benefit fast pcs but there are ways to get around it. Recieve hit lowers defense but you dont lose turn, also you can use a relatively cheap ki technique to recover action

Thanks for this

Is that content from Dominus Exxt?

I was planning on running my game modern day, so I was looking for statistics for firearms more in the realm of revolvers or assault rifles. I recall seeing a few things about firearms but they were more fantastical devices I thought.

Gunhel is in dominus exxet, take the hit is in core.
Just give modern guns more range and lower penalty for multiple attacks(10-40 should work) with same damage of core examples

These anons( and ) have the right of it regarding the firearms.
As to the "loses their turn that round", it's not a complete loss of turn, they just can't take Active actions(attacking, casting most spells/psychic powers). They can still defend themselves, and use passive stuff. There's also the option, for the martials, to create a Quick Recovery ki technique that let's them act if they've been hit that round. It's also in Dominus.

Feel like I should contribute something to this thread, as I'm currently two and a half years and eleven levels into the campaign I'm running, but I'm drawing a blank.

Guess I can start by posting two NPCs relevant to the overarching subplot that the party has interacted with, and go from there...

The party, currently.

A reminder to Anima GMs and GM hopefuls:
REMEMBER WHAT CREATURES ARE CLASSED AS NATURAL, AND WHAT ARE BETWEEN WORLDS.

Two boss fights were ended in a single turn each when the WarSum figured out that their Essence sheele could turn into a level 9 Major Dragon because it's still a Natural being.

Also, when the Mentalist has the Railgun power, you should probably remind them to check their line of fire.

Dude's nearly killed the WarSum once, her sheele twice, and the Warlock about three times.

He's also damn-near wiped the party by teleporting a pirate ship out from under the pirates who owned it, to a mile up. The ensuing wave from it crashing back down nearly capsized THEIR boat. They're just lucky it didn't land ON THEM.

What levels does Anima play best at? I want to start players off at higher than 1, but I'm not entirely sure where.

about 2-3 desu.

The game gets retarded about 8, after 10 wizards start to need DM handholding to keep up their scaling without having to divert into other branches, after 15 martials become ubermensch of murder and genocide that exist only to make D&D players angry and upset martials are so fucking good.

Summoning gets stupid as soon as they get time to do shit.

I feel there should be an exception on the wizards needing handholding bit when it comes to Book of Creation Wizards. They're almost always handy, with Resistance boosts and such.
Can confirm on the summoners getting up to no good with a bit of time, though. Or if they have a high enough summoning skill to hit the nasty Invocations. Like Rudrashka's Exodus Fuck You, Eat Lightning. Or World Reversed, if someone's unlucky enough to have that.

Creation is by far the best book min-max wise, it's basically the 3.5 book with trap options (chimera) included!

I mean advancing, as they hit a hard cap (divine magic), you can still get other paths, martials just keep getting more and more tech and secondaries.

I'm the user trying to do a Fate game.

Would level 3 on be a good benchmark for the swordbeams and other crazy shit servants can do?

What point total for method 5 should I use if I want characters to start with some strengths and be better than average people, but not be super fit geniuses? Does it even matter?

fuck yeah.

50-55

45 low
50-55 medium
60+ high powered

Anima stats aren't that important until they get VERY high if you're using dom exxet dex/agi diference or you're a mentalist (in which case you do need your will).

A Servant would probably be in the 6-8 range, with some kind of racial template on top to because they obviously don't function exactly like regular people.

"Swordbeam" is a bad benchmark in Anima, because any fucker can be built to do a swordbeam relatively simply. I could build a level 0 character who could shoot a swordbeam. Whether that ability is worth having at that level is another matter entirely, but anyone with a few advantage points sunk into Martial Mastery could have a ki technique or two from character creation.

Well I don't have to worry about balancing things around what normal people would encounter, but rather the servants themselves since I expect everyone to be playing servants.

Two servants slugging it out will annihilate city blocks as collateral damage which is why I chose Anima in the first place, but they won't immediately nuke each other. So right now I'm trying to feel out what would be the best level to start at to give everyone a nice suite of fantastic abilities befitting a servant, but without anybody being able to blow up the world or some shit.

I've already got a team of NPC servants picked out so I'll have time I think to play around with different builds.

What is your current character/party? If you're not playing or running, then what do you want to play next?

WarMentalist knight.

Points are low man.

Acrobatic warrior/Tao, fully focused on martial arts
I don't know if it was the most efficient use of resources, but it's certainly been the most fun.

The rule system is utter and complete shit. Don'T waste your time.

Rude

WhY are all the eyes off the heads

It's a ubisoft game.

In seeking to hone their combat prowess they have achieved enlightenment. Their perception extends beyond their physical shells to be a part of the world around them

Going entirely based on your description of the potential collateral damage, and Dominus Exxet's "Effects of high combat abilities on surroundings" list, you'd probably be looking at beings with combat abilities over 200, so level-wise, that puts them anywhere from 8 up, depending on how much min-maxing goes on.

GM for . I'd love to run a silent bodyguard defensive Tao. Danjayni Neph, mute, Hanja, Soo Bahk, Exellion, Lama, the works.

Probably never going to happen, though, as nobody else wants to step up and GM.

kek.

Dark Paladin dabbling in Destruction and Time. Or Technician

Level 3 Wind Battlemage.

Flying around cutting shit with wind is toptier

>what do you want to play next?
Anything at all. The only way I'm going to get an Anima game is if I get off my fat ass and finish writing up the campaign idea I had,
and that's not going to happen.

I dunno, man. Essence is pretty crazy, too. I mean, 60km RADIUS ball of bees? A flat percentage heal? Linking your soul to your foe, so whatever they do to you (or you do to yourself) is inflicted on them as well?
That's some good shit right there.

>Time Subpath
>Actually wanting to piss off the Powers in the Shadow
Are you insane?

Maybe? I wouldn't know, I've never bothered to actually sit down and read the full setting.

Gist is, if you use Time magic to try and alter major events in history, Imperium and the other powers step in, repair what you broke, and then punch you in the kidneys for stepping on their toes.

This is an aside, but is it better to go with the generic free spells or pick up a subpath? The generic spells seem kinda underwhelming so I would think subpaths are just better.

It really depends. Some of the free spells are actually great, like the ones that cure disease and poison, Perfect Target, and the Increase Characteristic spells. Plus they can add some utility to otherwise very narrow paths(giving Fire mages access to teleport, etc.)
But, if you're going thematic, most of the Subpaths are pretty good, at the cost of less flexibility. Also there can be some stigma attached to certain paths, namely Umbra, Sin, Blood, Death, and Void.
And there's also the factor that Subpaths usually have a more narrow list of what paths they work with.

Tl;dr, it's really academic. If you're that concerned about it, go with one of the seven Low Paths, grab a Subpath AND Free Access spells.

Stigma in setting or ooc?

How much of Gaia 2 has been translated?

OoC. Those are all the "Edgiest" subpaths. Usually paired with Darkness, Necromancy, Destruction, or Fire paths.

No idea. I just know the Turak race is pretty spiffy.

Suppose I should actually dump the Turak race stuff. If any of the translation's off, it's because I personally did it using a combination of three years of half remembered HS Spanish lessons and some Google Translate for hints of what shit might mean.
>The Turak
The Turak are one of the minority races of Gaia that, despite possessing considerable natural abilities, their small numbers prevented them from reaching a deserved racial supremacy. Below is a description of their basic characteristics and special attributes if players or the Game Master wish to choose to play this race, both pure side and Nephilim.
They are humanoid creatures of reptilian appearance, with a variable height between a meter sixty andthree meters high. Their bodies are covered with scales of different colors, though red and green are the most common variations. They have large claws, sharp jaws and their heads are elongated, comparable in some ways to an intermediate point between a human face and a dragon. While these attributes are common in all members of the species, the truth is that their bodies have numerous differences from one to another. Some develop tails, other horns, spines or wings; in that respect, they are very different. Another really striking detail is that, depending on these physical differences, some display more intellect. They call it "the proximity of the Dragon" and say that the attributes "simple lizards" have are racially inferior, while if they have more physical similarities to a dragon they are of a higher purity, and should occupy a higher place in society.
>cont.

The Turak are very long-lived and, although generally living around three hundred years, there have even been ones known to live more than eight centuries. What's particularly striking is that their size never stops increasing and in old age can actually increase their height another half a meter.
Their personalities vary greatly depending on their physical nature. Those who have not developed many draconian attributes are normally (but not always) low intelligence and are usually very easy to influence, but also tend to act more violently for no reason. Those who, however, have a greater intellect are characterized by their patience and their incredible ability to devise complex plans. However, all of them always attract attention by having difficulty forming emotional ties or developing other emotions than the most basic to survive.
Their society is very hierarchical, normally based on their attributes; the most physically advanced acting as leaders who rule over the others. The whole race also has a special affinity for dragons and considered themselves, in a certain manner, a part of them; Their greatest aspiration is to evolve their species enough to be one with them.
The Turak are always carnivorous; their digestive organs cannot digest plants.
Females are rare and therefore highly valued among their people. Slow to gestate (two to three years) but when reproducing tend to lay dozens of eggs from which, after a few years, hatch Turak children.
The Turak live mostly in Eurakia and Dafne, but also extend into part of what is now known as Lunaris.
/cont.

>Dragon men:
The Turak possess considerably higher strength and resilience than usual, so they get a bonus of +1 to their characteristics of STR and CON. However, their intellect is often slightly below average, so they suffer a -1 INT.
>Natural Weapons:
The jaws and claws of Turak act perfectly as natural weapons. Used in this way, they have a base damage of 40 plus the Strength bonus, attacking with the Cut damage type. Naturally, it is necessary to develop combat skills with them to not apply penalties.
>Scales:
The scaly skin of Turak acts as a considerably effective natural armor. Therefore, it is considered to have an Armor Type 2 against Cut, Impact, Thrust, and Heat.
>Regeneration of the Lizard:
The Turak heal much faster than normal, and so apply a bonus of +1 to their level of regeneration. In the event that they have eaten meat in abundance and rested, this modifier increases to +2. In addition, independent of the regeneration type they have, their severed limbs grow back slowly, recovering completely in a period of about a year or year and a half.
>cont.

>Proximity to The Dragon:
All Turak have different physical characteristics. Usually, most of them have one of the following qualities, but can also have two or three of them. If they develop three, the Turak applies an additional -1 penalty to INT:
>Enormous: They get a special bonus of +1 to STR and CON, and a +2 size, but suffer a -1 to AGI in exchange.
>Dragon Wings: The Turak has rudimentary wings which, while useless for flight , allow it to glide smoothly, dropping from high altitude with a flight value of 10.
>Eyes of the Hunter: Their eyes are perfectly adapted to perceive any kind of movement, so they get a special bonus of +20 to Notice.
>Tail: The physical attacks of the Turak with their natural weapons are considered Large when determining how many enemies are affected and apply only -40 on offense to make an Area Attack maneuver.
>Amphibians: They have membranes and gills that give water movement and a limited ability to breathe underwater (they may hold their breath for about 10 minutes).
>Scales of Metal: The protection provided by their scales becomes Armor Type 3.

>Cold Blood:
Turak are cold-blooded creatures, and so are particularly likely to suffer the negative consequences of low temperatures and have difficulties reacting with speed. Therefore, they receive a -20 penalty to all their resistances against any cold-based effect. They also suffer from a -20 to Initiative.
>Slow Learner:
The Turak take a long time to learn new things. Therefore, in the event that it is played by a player, the Turak apply a penalty of -3 to experience received per game.
>Level modifier:
+1 (+2 in the event that you have developed over one attribute from Proximity to the Dragon).
>cont.

>Nephilim Turak
Although not the most numerous, the truth is that there is a minute number of Nephilim Turak Gaia. Most reside in Dafne and in those places where dragons once lived.
Their souls sometimes have a striking impact on their bodies and, although not really giving them inhuman attributes make their faces extravagant; slightly big eyes and cheekbones and very pronounced jaws. However, the most striking feature is their "racial memory," which means that in certain dangerous circumstances they can temporarily tighten skin or develop natural weapons.
Normally, the Nephilim Turak spend their lives in confusion feeling out of place. Many of them dream that they were "dragons" in his past life, and are passionate about everything related to flying. In addition, most have visions sometimes even in broad daylight, whenever they see something that reminds them of their past lives. They love meat and have a big appetite, although most don’t get fat no matter how much they eat.

The Turak souls give them numerous physical and mental abilities gradually they learn to control. Below is a list of these capabilities:
>Natural Weapons:
Strange as it may seem, in dangerous situations, the Nephilim Turak are able to quickly develop extremely long, sharp, durable nails. Many times, even though they have no real proof of their racial abilities, this occurs when they feel threatened or really nervous. If used as natural weapons, they have a base damage of 30 plus the Strength bonus and attack on the Cut damage type. Naturally, it is necessary to develop combat skills with them to avoid penalties.
>Racial Memory:
The Nephilim has an amazing ability to recall any language he knew in his previous life, so you can understand almost immediately if you find a base that you remember.
>Resistant Skin:
The skin of the Nephilim have an unnatural feature to harden when receiving some kind of particularly strong impact, which becomes exceptionally effective natural armor. Therefore it provides Armor type 1 against Cut, Impact, Thrust, and Heat.
>Cold Blood:
The Nephilim Turak keep part of their vulnerability to cold and low reaction rate. Therefore, they apply a -10 penalty to all resistances against any cold-based effects and suffer a special -10 penalty to initiative.
>Immortal soul:
The conflict between the soul memories and learning Nephilim causes a penalty of -3 points to the experience that the Game Master gives at the end of each session.

/dump

Will another company ever pick this up.

Why not do a kickstarter to fund translations.

By far my favorite setting and system.

>Will another company ever pick this up?
The real question is will FFG ever release their stranglehold on it to someone who actually wants to translate it.
>Why not do a kickstarter to fund translations?
You assume FFG wouldn't be on the ass of whoever puts something like that up like white on rice.
>By far my favorite setting and system.
Agreed.

Technician based off of Dio Brando. Yes, I know it's cliche, sue me.
Figure Seals of Invocation summoning for Za Warudo, with it having the Stop Time spell as an innate ability.

FFG no longer has the rights senpai

TUrak feels pretty garbagy, specially for normal gaia.

Again all pure races feel pretty garbo vs anima humans and it shows they're not made to be PCs

Well, then. We just have to hope somebody picks them up, then.
Preferably someone with competent translators.

>all pure races
The D'anjayni called. They say they've secretly replaced your mom and dad, because the real ones never loved you.

>D'anjayni
>Real
Hahaha
Silly user.

Reminder duk'zarist are anima krauts, can only kill people and make war inventions, daimah are fucking irrelevant.

Only if you make them irrelevant, user.
Me, I'm planning to maybe run a Samael campaign once the current wraps up, and will be advising my players to unleash the insanity that is a Pure Daimah Party.

I mean lore wise, daimah are on the irrelevant corner, but again, everyone who isn't human/duk/sylvain is there.

Okay, yeah. Lorewise, I'll agree. Though the Devah and Vetala have pulled some serious-ish shit, mostly accidentally/intentionally some aeons for the former, and massive amounts of slavery for the latter. And Tuan Dalyr are just 95% pricks who can't fucking get over themselves, and are still spectacularly butt flustered that they lost to humans in a fight.

>Tuan Dalyr
Is there any race that gets BTFO harder? Not even samael thinks of them as people.

Also vetala are trully horrifying, until you see their stats.

Maybe Sylvania itself, but that's about it.

And yeah, Vets would be exceptional assassins, shadows, or stealth Warlocks/Techies, if the level mod was only a +1. Their light sensitivity is still less vicious than the Duk's Iron Allergy, though.
You can make another roll to put out flames. You can't make another roll to un-disintegrate your soul.

>Sylvania
>Therelas haets humans for gassing them like sick cunts
>Sister doesn't
Every time, seems like a fanfict straight from /pol/

Duk's iron allergy isn't that bad. At higher levels that is. Or if your DM assumes pure iron means ACTUAL pure iron which isn't that common.

I would say that lvl3-4 are the sweet spot where the players have enough power to be taken seriouslly but not enough that they break everything apart. Once you reach lvl6-8 the thing begins to get out of hands, quickly reaching godlike power, especially ki users.

Love Ki users, by the way.

>tfw none of my party are going to be ki users

The other options are also very versatile, specially summoners given they have enough time and knowledge. Perhaps the ones I dislike the most are the psionics, they are just kinda meh.

Mentalis Exxet never.

Since they have a section for them in the Arcana Exxet I highly doubt they will get their own, yeah.

I'm in a Fate game on Roll20 that uses Anima as the system. I've put together a fair amount of homebrew together for it, but also for just in general.
I think google drive links are alright to send here? Shouldn't be a big deal.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B23TGGq0DVCELWE0WXNBRHhJMXM?usp=sharing

At somepoint I'd work on updating the modern stuff to be as varied as the rest... but I've been sick and have no energy. Otherwise, have a gander, maybe it help inspire something OP.

How does one handle starting above level 1, by the by? I don't recall seeing anything in the book about it, so I'd be interested in hearing what wealth levels would be appropriate, for example.

Mechanically it's pretty simple, you just give them more DP like when they level up normally. Wealth I'm not so sure about.

Oh yeah, was that the hubworld game? I saw it while I was doing research. I would have considered applying since it looked like it was only open to interest, but I don't like Voice games online so I decided not too.

I'd honestly say the starting wealth works fine for just about any level from 0-5. Beyond that, when the system starts to become "heroic" it'd make a lot more sense to adjust though.

Otherwise, mechanically as says you'd just start the players with extra DP and the experience to match that level.

And something of an opinion of mine, Levels 0-5 are the "human" levels where things remain analogous to real world human potential. Beyond that you get into a "heroic" range at 6-12, and a "godly" range of 13+. Those keywords, human, heroic, and godly can be used to scale things accordingly. Someone heroic for example may have put together a crew of say sailors and found some treasure worth a couple thousand gold coins out on a deserted island. Someone "godly" may have instead discovered something tremendously valuable and used it to gain a much higher wealth value, perhaps even as high as a hundred thousand gold or more. In the end, it really depends on the game you're going for.

Yeah, that's hubworld Fate game. We go by text as much as we do voice, but the filter options for roll20 as I remember them are a bit stiff and unwieldy. Either way, good luck with your game user.

If someone is new to the sistem and is having troubles creating a pc (or just wants to have an easier time doing it), there are some excel sheets made by the guys in the official spanish forum which are pretty neat.

mega:#fm/ZCRRFTRD

javascript:quote('52772423');
As someone who have made something short of thousands of characters, I fail to see the problem.

Dunno, my Mentalist player's been doing spectacularly. Admittedly, the only other fighter is the WarSum and her Essence Sheele, but still.

Also, reminder that Zen Magnetic Acceleration Attack(From Arcana Exxet) using a Normal Quality Heavy Ballista Quarrel, is doing 420 BASE damage in a 1,000 ft. line. 500 damage, if it's a +20 Quarrel. The only things that really don't care about that are things that ignore lower Gnosis entities, and The Lord of Infinity.
Though if your players are fighting The Lord of Infinity, they'd better be packing some serious defense more than anything, what with Longinus permanently wiping one supernatural ability from you when it hits, and you having to actually KILL Omega and touch Longinus to get those powers back.

>playing anima after 3.5

SWEET SWEET REVENGE.

Mentalis Exxet and The Beings From Beyond The Veil Exxet

W H E N?!

Remember anima wealth doesn't work at high-ish levels and becomes quickly irrelevant.

Also buying items is a waste of time, be a man and suck black sun dick.

Is there a good rule of thumb for artifacts that a player starting above 1 may have access too? Maybe just free CP in the artifact background?

Anima characters don't depend on artifacts at all m8

You could give them some small amount of pp to make artifacts, just remember the game isn't D&D and doesn't assume magical items are common at all or required (except maybe for mentalists since their scaling is so bad)

Don't get me wrong, they are caple of hitting as hard as any of the others and they certainly can spam their habilities like no other, but I feel like the lack the versatility the domines or the mages have. I also think they don't scale neary as hard as the others with levels, but I haven't really played that much anima at the highest levels.

Anima on high level goes pants on head retarded harder than any other system, specially martials who keep going harder and harder.

Mentalists have great versatility and sick scaling and spells. Until level 6 or so, they start to fall off because of how buying potential works (+100 is 55pp and that's 550dp or 825dp, so best way to increase potential is stack up on will, until 20 will/220potential, getting +stat items is hard/expensive and you only get +1 stat each 2 levels so at level 6 you'd have +3 and maybe +3 from buying it or 140 base, and that is fine, however when shit gets more and more high and martial MK starts to stack up it shows, but nobody post 8 or so actually fights in setting, they jerk each other off and do cold war)

Also, remember a level 6 technician has 300 fucking MK, weapon master should have retard-tier HP and live inside of his full heavy plate with padded armor for 10+ (nice arm pen) 24/7, etc...

I get what your saying, but Im also anticipating people wanting sick nasty signature swords so Im considering giving them free access at character creation.

Do it.

Reminds me to turn inquisitor game so players can enjoy being edgy fucking retards 40k expies.

Nemesis Technicians are still my favorite silly thing, specifically because they're costed and geared towards using the Cancellation powers to piss in everyone else's Cheerios, including other Ki users.

>Full Heavy Plate and Padded Armor
About right for a level 6 Weaponmaster.
But if things pass level 10ish, I expect that Weaponmaster to be rocking +20 Full Field Plate(enchanted by an alchemist with +6 AT vs physical, Absolute Matrices Immunity, and Full All Elements Immunity), a +20 Byrnie (with +6 AT Physical stuff, and +80 All Resists), a +20 Great Helm (Initiative and Regen buffs), and a +20 Full Shield with Attack Reflection.
And ofc whatever weapon they want.

>sick nasty signature swords.
user, the sickest sword already exists. Unfortunately, it's in the hands of a genocidal Sylvain prince.

SPECIALLY ki users.

Said weaponmaster should also be an alchemist. Don't trust filthy wizards with your weapons user!

I never thought of doing that. Shit. Give him forging, and he'll be self sufficient.

What if the spellcaster has been granted their gift through Our Lord and Savior Abel Christ's will?

>trusting ANY wizards

I'm just saying. What if Lord Romeo Exxet HIMSELF sets a person in front of me, tells me that this person has been proven to NOT be a witch, and is indeed bearing the gift EN NOMINE DEUS.
Do I second guess the single highest mortal authority in the Inquisition because I shouldn't trust any wizards?

You know who is higher than romeo?
Christ.

If Christ says wizards are up to no good, they're up to no fucking good.

Fair point.

What if the most divine servant of the archangel Michael, an angelic being I've heard goes by the name Unitas Eldereige, tells me to trust a wizard?

I'm just trying to cover my bases here. I don't want Inquisitor Marchosias wiping me and whatever town I'm in off the map because I accidentally some heresy.

I repeat.

Christ still higher than Michael.

Now however, if a VERY handsome blonde blue eyed man, tells you to do something you should totally do it dude.

Cherubim?