When did Veeky Forums get so pretentious as a board? What the fuck happened? Everywhere I look...

When did Veeky Forums get so pretentious as a board? What the fuck happened? Everywhere I look, there are blatantly made-up stories, no OC, no drawfagging, and these insanely narcissistic blog-style posts written by spergs who think being willing to bite the GM bullet makes them God Almighty. It's worse than /k/, /v/, or even /pol/.

What the fuck were you guys doing while I was in the sandbox? What happened? Was there some crossover with another site, or major developments in the hobby? Because shit has objectively gone downhill, and not even in the usual "this board was never good, it's all nostalgia" way. Can we fix this? If so, how?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12781023
strawpoll.me/12781043
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inb4 quests

I'm a bit of a newfag but I quite like this board. Right balance between shitposting and funposting, lots of creativity-focused threads, a definite board culture, overall this place is very comfy and I love lurking.

>kids these days

The man who stands at a strange threshold,
Should be cautious before he cross it,
Glance this way and that:
Who knows beforehand what foes may sit
Awaiting him in the hall?

>there are blatantly made-up stories
>no OC
Which one is it?

I used to frequent this board back in 2011, and have come back only recently. I think the board is the same as is, Veeky Forums getting shit done as usual. I do note the increase in waifufags, but I feel that is more a fault of the times than Veeky Forums.

>"i can identify whether or not a story is made up at a glance"
>"i haven't noticed any drawfag threads, therefore there are none"
>"everyone else is a narcissist writing blogposts"
>"GMs complaining about GM things or talking about being GMs means they've got a god complex"

Nice pretentious blogpost, user.
The irony is laughable.

Simple.
All oldfags moved, user, and now we are overwhelmed by millenials lured into the hobby thanks to corporations marketing turning it trendy, /pol/akcs shoving their fucking agendas everywhere and weaboos who since aren't linch on the spot like in the old days now feel cocky enough to crap all over the place.
Distants are the days in which Veeky Forums made shit like the Bill & Ted RPG, Boone comics or thread that steamrolled Veeky Forums.
Truly is a dark age in which one can witness the cult to personality that has been crapped straight into the brain of the newestt generation who doesn't even read LotR and does not give a fuck about.

i have to agree with this. i only started lurking tg about two years ago and i have also noticed a drop in quality even in such a sort time.

the pol shit is the worst though. a few years ago the discourse was a lot less fucking crazy. A discussion about why user doesn't like elves for example, would largely come down to stats or lore in a particular setting. Nowadays its about 3 posts in before some nutjob declares that X race is betacucks/brown people/sjw propaganda or whatever the chosen boogieman for the week is. As a historical wargamer, this becomes massively frustrating as you can imagine. i just wanna talk tanks not help reassure fat kids its all tge jews fault they can't get pussy

>insanely narcissistic blog-style posts written by spergs
Oh, like yours?

Be the change you want to see user. Bump creative threads, write creative posts, and promote good board etiquete

Honestly I think /pol/ is less of a problem than the rabid anti-/pol/ defence force. /pol/ can make the odd shitty post or thread, but that in itself isn't too bad. The threads only get properly derailed when twenty more screeching autists jump in an start posting 'back to /pol/' memes, continuously bumping the thread or post they're trying to shut down.

Basically it comes down to 'don't respond to bait'

I dunno. Those people only exist now because it stopped being bait. People are just rabidly political these days. There's still the creative stuff. Still the weeb stuff. Still the waifus and made up stories.

The problem is that now everyone is so fucking serious about their beliefs.

>Everywhere I look, there are blatantly made-up stories, no OC,

Wouldn't made up stories be OC?

The reason the rabid anti-/pol/ defense force exists is because /pol/ constantly tries to drag their shit with them wherever they go. They try and colonize other boards, sometimes without even realizing it by spamming memes and force opinions down everybody's throat. They call it banter and drive it everywhere because they think all of Veeky Forums is like /pol/, and it's all they know.

I know it's not "much", but I have been in this board for about seven years now, and I don't notice a decline in quality. It's all more or less the same. Actually, I think it has improved just a bit.

Why? Because people now seem less stuck-up and elitist now, in my opinion. I mean, we're still a bunch of pretentious faggots, there's no helping that, but we're mostly friendly pretentious faggots.

I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to soak toilet paper in butter and then mould it into your likeness.

Methinks the april fools decision to merge /mlp/ and /pol/ has merit to it.
Both are cancerous topics that would infect other boards if they are not strictly regulated and enforced.
Guess which of those 2 aforementioned boards still has its shit leaking all over the other boards?

This reminds me of a game of AD&D in which our PCs did found a piece of the Regalia of Evil, the Scepter.
One of the passive abilities the scepter haves is to lure evil aligned beings to the owner eager to serve a mighty overlord or which do have a predisposition towards such thing, so soon we found ourselves surrounded wuth evil minions when our party was good aligned.
Since the scepter influence is so fucking strong those minions thought that we were masterminds of evil, that we posed as agents of goodness so the weak let their guards down and let us sink our claws into their society. Of course we trued to convert them to good and convince them we weren't into evil shit yet since we had the Scepter we couldn't do nothing to probe that we were good guys.
At the end we manipulate them to do good deeds thinking it was part of a turbo keikaku.

Dude, even /mlp/ and /pol/ agreed the decision had merit to it.

Even I, who honestly dislikes both boards, kind of liked the result. It was like the two forms of cancer merged into something greater, and for one shining instant it was like every great board at it's inception, before the topics of discussion get old and the inspiration dies. It was like old school /b/, or early days of /pol/, or even old Veeky Forums in that it's base couldn't give a fuck and did shit for the lulz.

On one hand I can't believe the mods shut it down, but on the other I can see it was only a matter of time before it got past it's prime, like a filly with a broken leg or board that has stagnated, like this one has.

I hadn't been on /s4s/ until recently, I assumed it was supposed to be some kind of normie 12 year old containment board for people that wanted the /b/ circa 2008 experience minus the gore, but its somehow a more tolerable board than /b/ is now. Things, and boards, change over time for sure. Veeky Forums is still one of the better boards on this site. Shit does get done from time to time and reasonable discussions do happen, and while "depends on the setting" posts and bait images in OPs of otherwise normal threads its not too bad given the shitshow that some other boards have. If this were /v/ we'd have several Lamentations of the Flame Princess threads a day consisting of a pic and "This is the flame princess, say something nice about her/why didn't you buy her game?" But then, maybe even that would be better than a thread dedicated to complaining about how the board should just be better instead of being shit with nothing useful to actually say.

I wonder who's behind this post.

Is there a /pol/ version of that "SJW with paper thin disguise" pic?

>Everywhere I look, there are blatantly made-up stories, no OC, no drawfagging, and these insanely narcissistic blog-style posts written by spergs who think being willing to bite the GM bullet makes them God Almighty.
Perhaps so, but at least they're not meta-threads.

Also:
>no drawfagging
Drawfags: >no OC
Creators of OC: Perhaps you just didn't look hard enough? Perhaps you're the problem?

First Nazimod fucked the place up, banning or driving off a lot of core members and lying about it. Then redditors and fags from GitP or the charop forums moved in to this 'safer' Veeky Forums, annoying more real users into leaving. Finally, moot forced all quests onto Veeky Forums injecting countless toxic /v/ and /a/ users into our fragile ecosystem. Their shitposting and board-consuming spam combined with the whining of the care bear newfags drove off even more actual users. Quests have thankfully been removed and recovery has begun, but with the jannies quick on hand to delete anything that scandalizes.

NOTHING HAPPENED ON CALIBA-uh..... Veeky Forums!

>weaboos who since aren't linch on the spot like in the old days
I agree with everything but this. Veeky Forums is a weeb website, that was made for weebs, to discuss topics both weeb and non.

Saved for just such an occasion.

Also, OP is a fag. Veeky Forums is fine except for /pol/, everywhere else is just as cancerous and terrible as always. And we wouldn't have it any other way.

>no OC
>no drawfagging
>It's worse than /k/, /v/, or even /pol/
At least work on your bait

>Can we fix this? If so, how?
By not wasting space on shit like your bait

>>no OC
>>no drawfagging

But that's absolutely correct. There's a pitiful amount of OC compared to even a year or two ago, and the current batch of drawfags suck dick at drawing.

>muh millenial
So you're 35?

>t. newfag

this board was never pretentious. it just doesn't shitpost nearly as much as the others so you don't know what to do when faced with actual discussion

compare the catalog of /v/ to Veeky Forums and if you're really so certain, if anything it's more pretentious of you to judge a whole board by some arrogant jackoffs you might have seen

or i'm just taking bait and going to get shot in the back of the head for "reddit spacing"

It was just...different in the old days. Back then you could find that sort of stuff all over the board, before everything was herded into stale and shitty generals.

The odd off board poster may have emigrated in with quests, but most of the player base were primarily Veeky Forumsers who at least generated some OC. But at this stage just about every sub section of Veeky Forums that reliably and consistently churned out OC has been kicked off the board. That may not be the root cause of the sorry state this board is in, but it sure as shit hasn't helped it any.

>What the fuck happened?

This
Quest threads getting banned really soured a lot of content-creating people on Veeky Forums, because it turned out that a lot of questfags were also writefags, drawfags, and homebrewfags. It didn't help that the mod was also deleting board-related threads like meatbread (never thought I'd see the day that meatbread threads were banned on Veeky Forums). These days I don't try to make a lot of homebrew because I'm sick of it getting pruned for off-topic.

Basically the new mod drove a lot of people out, what's left is mostly trolls and people who want to feel vindicated that they "beat" the questfags, and most of the content on the board these days is either people bitching that nothing is being created, or people bitching that Veeky Forums was never a creative board and it's all nostalgia goggles.

I find it's just vocal minorities bitching and whining because the OC they personally liked is gone and the board is full of OC that they don't like or just don't pay attention to.

Like, that eternal CYOA general is pretty much nothing but folks messing around with each others' original content but god forbid that anyone acknowledges that as OC, they call it the cancer killing Veeky Forums instead.

>get so pretentious
>Get

Your speaky words are wrong, as they communicate ideas that are fallacious.

'Get' implies there was a time when Veeky Forums was not pretensious

>These days I don't try to make a lot of homebrew because I'm sick of it getting pruned for off-topic.

This is actually one of those really telling statements above and beyond your specific complaints. And no, I'm not insinuating shit about your character, I'm saying that the board was better when off-topic shit was allowed to fly as long as it was fun.

I'm not sure why one player Quests are even still allowed on this board.

Bring back WST and quests.

It actually says a lot about how distant the mods are from the current userbase. It's like they've decided that Veeky Forums will be a board devoted exclusively to discussion of traditional games instead of any form of original content or creative enterprise, which is half of what was great about old Veeky Forums.

Well since your asking for OC, would anyone be interested in a story about Tau/human relations with a setting referencing SA apartheid, the Rhodesian Bush War, and Israel/Palestine relations?

Also, what sandbox faggot?

If only user, but you know they'd all be shitposted to death within an hour of them going up.

>Veeky Forums hasn't changed!
>ok Veeky Forums has changed but I don't care so stop whining
alright

>WST
Only if you are able to contain yourself. We know this won't happen.

The problem coems when 20 screeching autists come rushing in tipping fedoras and shout 'niggers' and 'jews' and ruin the fucking thread.

OC active on Veeky Forums right now:

>/cyoag/, which is nothing but anons making their own content and sharing it with other anons.
>Nobledark 40k, which is a bunch of anons collaborating over an alternate version of 40k.
>/wipg/, which is nothing but anons making cool shit (or awful shit) in real life and sharing it with each other. Usually 40k based though.
>/gdg/, which is nothing but anons making their own tabletop systems and sharing them with each other. Notice a lot of the original content is being consolidated into generals.
>L5R Storytime, in which one user is sharing a really fucking long story which a lot of people seem to love.
>Accidental Magical Girl CYOA. A CYOA so popular it apparently needs its own thread.
>Drawthread. Yes, there's actually a drawthread up. Right here, right now, there's a drawthread.
>Warren's Folly. Apparently some sort of original setting created by a bunch of anons on Veeky Forums.
>Genestealer Cult Creation Thread, in which people are randomly generating their own genestealer cult for 40K.
>Magic the Gathering snowflakes, in which people write about their original characters in the Magic the Gathering setting
>/wbg/, another general, this time for the purpose of worldbuilding.

People are making and sharing original content on Veeky Forums at this moment. You might not like all of it, you might not even like half or any of it. I know I don't. But it's still content being made on Veeky Forums and a lot of the time being made for Veeky Forums.

So if you don't see any original content that you actually like, shut up and actually make it yourself.

>cyoas
>OC
user, I don't even hate quests and I think that's just absurd.

>>Accidental Magical Girl CYOA. A CYOA so popular it apparently needs its own thread.

You know what that's called? A FUCKING QUEST THREAD!

I think this is the direction a solution would need to take. That fusion hopped! It was new and funny and exciting and there were new people to yell at and with and share your memes with.

I think we're all just bored.

>OC I dislike is not OC! Get it out of my Veeky Forums!

You're the cancer slowly killing this board.

Hahaha, sounds hilarious, I'm in. I will heckle you about the Israel/Palestine situation if you're naive and uninformed, but hey, so is everyone else.

>Notice a lot of the original content is being consolidated into generals.
This is annoying. Wish they'd have their own, visible threads that we can see from the Catalog.

Yes!

The real problem is that there's 40 sceeching autists derailing threads that have nothing to do with political nonsense by turning them into political nonsense.

We have the tools to filter and hide threads/posts that we don't want to see, yet only a fraction of Veeky Forums users bother utilizing these tools to stop shit like that from happening.

If people learned not to respond to bait, there'd be no problem.

None of those generals are making significant progress on the projects they claim to be about. And as much as I like worldbuilding and CYOA, they hardly qualify as "OC." They're just incomplete fragments of nothing.

And every other board sees its OC and projects through to completion. That's why we've seen so many successful videogames come out of /v/!

>this board was never pretentious.

>He says while there's several "stop having badwrongfun" threads in the catalog.
>He says when edition wars occurs in every other thread related to D&D as a whole.
>He says when people will look down on you for playing vidya.
Let's be honest here, every board on Veeky Forums is filled with circlejerking hipsters who want to be the one wolf among sheeple when it comes to their hobby. If you're going to claim that any board has never been pretentious, it means that you're either new or haven't been lurking long enough.

>If only user, but you know they'd all be shitposted to death within an hour of them going up.

Nah, people shitposted in quests when the mods allowed them on Veeky Forums. It was fine.

Warren's Folly looks cool.

>This is actually one of those really telling statements above and beyond your specific complaints. And no, I'm not insinuating shit about your character, I'm saying that the board was better when off-topic shit was allowed to fly as long as it was fun.

>It actually says a lot about how distant the mods are from the current userbase. It's like they've decided that Veeky Forums will be a board devoted exclusively to discussion of traditional games instead of any form of original content or creative enterprise, which is half of what was great about old Veeky Forums.

This is probably the biggest problem with the board right now. Somehow a new crop of mods got in power than hold the mantra of "NOT MUH TEEJ" and delete everything that doesn't conform to their personal ideas of what Veeky Forums is supposed to be. Not saying it wasn't a problem in the past, but it's definitely a problem now.

Just remember that this thread, , who's goal is to tell cringeworthy stories about people getting angry, is still less salty than this thread.

>2017
>This is what passes as creativity on Veeky Forums now

Post a single year and all of the creative content in it and explain how it is vastly superior to the current content on Veeky Forums.

Not him, but have you been OUTSIDE Veeky Forums? No, not THAT kind of outside... You know, other boards?
Then be glad that Veeky Forums isn't as bad as shit going around currently. That still doesn't make this board any less good, and there is a visible decline in last three years, but it's not even half as bad as Veeky Forums in general is getting.

>2016
>Questfags were still not driven out, so there were regular OC, storytime and homebrew threads
>2017
>Storytime thread needs regular bumps to not die
Here, I didn't even need to dig out some ancient history.

Veeky Forums has always had annoying pretentious assholes you have to contend with. Also /k/ is fine you faggot, nothing is worse than when Squid and his tripfag posse shitposted, and now it's just back to where it should be.

>It's worse than /pol/

Oh, I can't wait to see the legions of people who disagree with you and consider quests to be the anti-OC.

What about the legions of people who like having quest threads on Veeky Forums

Most strawpolls tend to show the majority enjoys having quest threads on this board.

As someone who frequents /a/, /v/, /co/, and /tv/; I've seen down the rabbit hole and there really isn't any major difference between Veeky Forums or any other board on the site nowadays.

Veeky Forums has threads that are always bait, yet still make to bump limit every other time it gets posted, people will still look down on you for having taste that's synonymous with "normies," and everyone is still trying to one-up one another as far who the biggest underground hipster is, even when the board as a whole talks about the most mainstream shit this side of the internet unironically.

If you think I'm wrong, go on /v/ and go into a console wars thread and compare it to the average edition wars thread that we see on here every other day.

Protip:There is no difference.

>strawpolls
You mean those things that can be so easily manipulated that anyone with a phone or dynamic IP can repeatedly cast a new vote in under a minute? Yeah, that's a GREAT indicator of board consensus, especially since it's always going to be in favor of the salty ones making the poll in the first place.

Quests are gone. You are in the minority of wanting them back. Time to get over it. You have your own board and instead of trying to improve it you just come back here to cry about how it's dead and would be better off merged because "MUH TEEG CULTURE".

What this board needs is more Cestree.

We already get daily Cestree threads and now we're getting daily Xeno threads.

That's a sure way to bring back creativity, right?

>Everywhere I look, there are blatantly made-up stories, no OC, no drawfagging, and these insanely narcissistic blog-style posts written by spergs
Sounds like surplus of millenials from what you said

>Ageshaming
Man, we had and have people posting here in his early 40s.

More.

>Yeah, that's a GREAT indicator of board consensus, especially since it's always going to be in favor of the salty ones making the poll in the first place.
It would be interesting to make a strawpoll thread that's blatantly anti-quest and see what the results would be.

I think he meant that if you're not over age 35 you're a millennial, which means most of the people who complain about millennials on Veeky Forums are themselves millennials.

You sound just as emotionally invested as the orher guy.

OP is a fag. Congrats on making a shitposting thread slightly more meta than the usual -4 str

Yeah bruh, where's my thread where we calculate how much spiders can fit in various bodily orifices?

Completely unbiased poll.

strawpoll.me/12781023

>Creators of OC:
>58 posts

>[Dejected Laughter]

strawpoll.me/12781043
strawpoll.me/12781043
strawpoll.me/12781043

>mfw newfags realize that this place is not as wacky and creative as 1d4chan made it out to be

>Implying that everyone in Veeky Forums is of your same age range as you.
>Implying that there is no genuine senior from the oldfag era still checking here and being pissed of how shitty Veeky Forums has become
>Implying generalization.
>Implying shitty Greek fire from Game of Trendy.

Personally, we wouldn't even be having this argument if we didn't ever limit quests to just Veeky Forums in the first place. If Quests were allowed across Veeky Forums, then Bleach Reaper Quest XIV would be on /a/, and all the Yuri on /u/, leaving Veeky Forums free to run quests that are actually Veeky Forums, and /qst/ to catch the overflow from other boards where the community, not the mods, decided whether they wanted quests or not.

It mostly went to shit when the last bastions of good ideas and creativity were kicked out. IE, quests. They also did a fantastic job and choking out troll threads and shoving them off the board, which people refuse to admit.

With quests forced into a containment board and slowly dying as a result, we're mostly just waiting for the mods to smarten up and bring quests back in. Only a matter of time really.

All of this is Moore's fault
He should have never left us

That's probably the problem. The only thing I really miss was people posting porn as a spoiler and not getting tagged. That new rule was gay. I get it just represented an enforcement of already existing rules, but damn.

>it's a "millenial boogeyman" post

Moot's*

That may have been a good idea, but it never worked like that. It instead ended up with Veeky Forums having so many quest threads that it was smothering.

>Personally, we wouldn't even be having this argument if we didn't ever limit quests to just Veeky Forums in the first place. If Quests were allowed across Veeky Forums, then Bleach Reaper Quest XIV would be on /a/, and all the Yuri on /u/, leaving Veeky Forums free to run quests that are actually Veeky Forums, and /qst/ to catch the overflow from other boards where the community, not the mods, decided whether they wanted quests or not.
This would be the ideal situation. I don't know what who was thinking when he decided that all the anime quests on /a/ had to get shoveled onto Veeky Forums. It gave a lot of ammo to the people who didn't like having quests on this board because a lot of the /a/ quests were harem-building garbage where the three "choices" were just different seats on the same railroad, and the sheer numbers of /a/ quests made a lot of people resent all quests in general.

Unfortunately, it's easy to say that all quest threads are bad because Yuri Romance Simulator #63456486131 was a bad quest thread.

>strawpoll.me/12781023
Just for you, I only voted once.

I stopped posting in creative threads because I grew tired of people insulting me for not following the standard D&D tropes. It's like it's a religion to these people and they take protecting it extremely seriously. Where they all came from and why, my guess is as good as yours.

Which by extension makes it /pol/ and /v/'s fault, since they're the obnoxious little shits who drove him away to begin with.

Now see here, this is a proper genuine strawpoll without any tampering.

You can tell because no one's voting for the option that I disapprove of.

>You are in the minority of wanting them back
The only minority were the rabid anti-quest fags.

Majority of people didn't give a fuck about the whole deal altogether, but it's already tiresome with the constant "hurr we drove quests away". Congratu-fucking-lations. Now I feel like being the only person doing anything in storythreads aside posting pictures.

>It's another thinly veiled "bring back quests" thread.

I think a lot more people would be more sympathetic to your plight if you'd stop with this passive-aggressive whining shit.