>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!kH4yAZ6L
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not even a discussion topic, c'mon, OP.

Why does that dragon look so smug.
I didn't even know I hated smug dragons until now.

Fuck you, smug dragon.You ain't shit.

What is the biggest enemy you or your party has ever fought?

They almost fought a hill giant one time, but then they ran away.

Is the only "real" shop is CoS Bildrath's Mercentile? My players recently completed The Death House and they are looking to restock on resources. I don't want them to have a magic weapon supermart but with these few stores/farmers how is anyone alive in the towns? Not everyone is gonna go to the tavern/inn to get food. Where do the guards get their weapons? It can't be JUST from dead adventurers.

I planned on having the Vistani be a longer, less reliable way to get more exotic items but what if they want to get a sling, flour, random shit? It seems odd to have so much loot yet nothing to use it on... its not like I expect for them to make a keep in Barovia and that a lack of resources is one of the difficult things that one has to deal with, but how could you open up the player's options without necessarily releasing any of the difficulty?

Bildrath buys his shit from the Vistani, so you're being pretty reasonable there.

I don't even know what it was, DM likes to make up monsters for some reason.
It was like a Purple Worm, only not purple and it had mouths all over it.
My Fist Wizard died to it.
okay actually just Human Abjuration Wizard with 20 Strength and Tavern Brawler

We ran away from a neothelid once. There were escape mechanics involved, we weren't meant to fight it.

>for some reason
Keeps players on their toes

>I don't want them to have a magic weapon supermart
As someone who has been playing CoS for the last monthish, I feel like it absolutely should be dripping in magic weapons. We're running with a primarily martial party and nearly everything we've encountered has had resistance. On top of that they usually have regeneration. And they can drop our toughest tanks in two or three hits.

It's not even a war of attrition because the regen often outpaces the damage we're capable of dealing. And unless we pour all our resources into some first round nova (preferably with surprise), one or two members of our party inevitably become focused on shoring up the rest of the party with healing, leaving even fewer people to dole out damage.

Your party makeup might be more suited to the campaign, but as a group that didn't really know what we were in for, the balance seems pretty fucked up for the levels we seem to be encountering things at. Throwing a few magic weapons at your party early would seem to be extremely reasonable unless their all dishing out magical attacks already.

Joined a new group, when I asked about the party so far I got this back;

>As far as play style, the fighter is a Goliath Eldritch Knight, pretty much a front line fighter. The cleric is a trickster priest with very low strength so mainly relies on spells and tries to stay out of close quarter fighting, but isn't exactly a powerhouse ranged attacker either. The rogue is a thief archetype. He is almost always in the front lines. Currently he's in the process of being turned into a Kuo-Toa diety.

Any suggestions on a class to fit in here? I was thinking a moon druid could be alright, but I really wanted to play a kobold druid and the dm isn't into monster races. Avoiding full casters if possible because there's a girl joining who I know plays pretty much only rangers and wizards

Be a Ritual Tome GOOlock

How MAD is Cleric / Warlock?

>two separate spell casting stats
very

Brewing Potions of Healing Potions of healing
fall into a special category for item crafting,
separate from other magic items.
A character proficient with the herbalism kit
can create them. The time and money needed
to create such a potion is summarized on the
Potion of Healing Creation table.

Potion of Healing table:

Potion of Healing = 1 day and 25gp
Greater healing = 1 workweek 100gp
Superior healing = 3 workweeks 1,000 gp
Supreme healing = 4 workweeks 10,000gp.

Sadly there's no table on gathering herbs so it's assumed you have to buy them.

Why do half elves make such good bards?

Any DM who doesn't suck will set a DC for herb gathering during down time. Say everyone else is having their short rest and instead of relaxing you make a Survival check, sacrificing the ability to rest for gathering herbs if you match the DC decided by the DM. Or you can spend 25gp at an apothecary.

A Minotaur Skeleton... They're starting out...

PHB only

White Dragon wyrmling. This campaign hasn't been going on very long

That is PHB only

+2 Charisma, more skills to skill monkey with. Half elves make a pretty good anything, especially anything that uses charisma as it's casting stat.

The largest was an oni, the most dangerous was a vampire spawn with a magic weapon.

That is PHB.
Great Old One Patron Warlock.
Pact of the Tome, take Druid cantrips, grab Shillelagh, use a Quarterstaff and get Polearm Mastery.
You get 2 d8 melee attacks a round using your Charisma.
If you want you can be flavourful to the Druid cantrips and take Archfey patron for a nature theme.

Oh, sorry. I'm not too up to date with all the terminology people uses, I assumed it was UA stuff. I've never read Warlock into detail, I'll check it out. Thank you.

I'm not worried about that actually since I predicted a similar problem. I gave a paladin a really powerful sword that has his son's Soul and one of the Rangers has a silvered shortsword so at least for now they have a fair chance, to deal with their threats on that level as well as having a cleric that has taken a lot of anti-undead spells.

The dungeons have a nice spread of magic on them and I like how you earn them. Depending on the pace I might even make some catacombs and creepy stuff on top. They don't seem too concerned on taking out Strahd as they were thoroughly been shown that he's above them.

after you hit 3rd level and get Shillelagh as a Warlock cantrip you can multiclass into Paladin and start grabbing smite spells to add to your Charisma melee weapon if you want.

How many levels would you suggest going into each? This campaign is meant to reach level 20.

We've just finished LMoP and moved onto our home campaign.

We own Tresender Manor and have rebuilt it. I play a Dragonborn Artificer who specializes in the more engineering aspect of Artificing, cogs, wheels, pipes, engines, etc.

I've rescued Droop from the initial campaign and have made him somewhat of my apprentice. I'm also teaching him to be an Artificer, so he can work on the House when I am gone. Long term, I want to design a method of making the house float and my DM is aware of this and has pretty much said that if I can design the architecture, stability and rough draft of how I can provide liftoff, I can do it (Supplies, time, costs, etc. Are all accounted for of course. I'll have to provide that as well.). (I'm currently level 7.)

However, I've hit somewhat of a wall with my group. My ideal is to train, re-educate and use other goblins that show potential to help with the construction of said levitation and flight. However, my party has this unabashed hatred for anything we've potentially killed, even going as far as to sabotage or threaten situations in the past out of their "racism".

How would you feel or respond to someone doing a similiar thing in your group? I currently have a Gnome (the NPC who taught me Artificing) and Droop aiding me in my delving of Artificer knowledge. As a note, I am the only neutral one in the party. Everyone else is all around the board.

My Group consists of a Warlock (Old God), Fighter, Ranger, Wizard (Evocation) and a Barbarian.

How do you make an Artificer-style class that can make magic items, and balance their output?

Up to you, the Paladin bit was just a suggestion for extra spell slots and some smite power, the Warlock could go to level 20 on it's own and be fine.
If you want to go the Nature Palalock route, go Warlock 3/Paladin 17 and take Oath of the Ancients (Fey Knights).
If you want a roleplaying aspect you could be worshipping your Archefey patron to link the classes.
Best Invocations for this would be Fiendish Vigor for melee combat and Book of Ancient Secrets so you can write rituals into your tome, like Find Familiar, Identify, etc, but if you don't think you'll need the rituals you could always grab Armor of Shadows so you don't need armor, Devil's Sight for darkvision if your race doesn't have it, or Eldritch Sight for an at will detect magic. Make sure you're certain though, you won't be able to change them after 3rd level if you multiclass.

In 5E, an ancient blue dragon. We ran.
Then we caught her in human form, realized who it was after bringing her into Silverymoon, and escaped with the guy she was hunting for through a Harper teleportation circle to Waterdeep to warn the OTHER guy she was hunting for. So she flew all the way over there, but we had plenty of time to snag Guy #2 and teleport back to Silverymoon after she'd left. But then she just took over Waterdeep because I guess a city full of adventurers who fight Underdark shit all day are no match for a single dragon with the power of an Old God so I'm kind of wondering how our level 8 asses are gonna deal with that.

The biggest thing we've killed has been a cloud giant. Or maybe a robot with a gatling gun. Physically, the largest creature was the hill giant queen, but only because she was a fat-ass.

Hm, I suppose I should rephrase:

Have you ever had a party member set a long term goal with NPCs?

How have you reacted? Did you like it, dislike it? Why?

Have you ever worked with NPC's to achieve a goal that your Group/Party couldn't complete? Why?

If you want a melee abjurationish wizard, the only way is to take a one or two level dip of warlock for armor of agathys and armor of shadows fuckery.

>teaching goblins animatronics and flight
Yeah, I can't see where this could go wrong at all, your party is totally overreacting.

You'd do much, much better trying to hire mages and engineers who have actually studied this shit for years and then try to teach them to do these things.

You know, logically speaking.

What you're doing is like trying to design a fighter jet except instead of recruiting the usual engineers you're recruiting teenagers who say 'Fuck da police!'

>Have you ever had a party member set a long term goal with NPCs?

Yes recently one of my PCs bought a tavern for retirement sometime in the future since he nearly died, and is old. Set it up to have an NPC run it and try to make it profitable

>How have you reacted? Did you like it, dislike it? Why?

I thought it was a neat idea because I only mentioned it had come up for sale in passing. Previous owner got killed for betraying the party and the NPC they were working with is part of the underworld in the city.

>Have you ever worked with NPC's to achieve a goal that your Group/Party couldn't complete? Why?

This is the first one and he went about it a smart way of getting a loan from someone powerful and sweetening the deal so she'd front the money.

I was roleplaying a Lawful Good honor obsessed melee wizard, all his spells were melee, movement, or self protection.
Honestly I was expecting the character to die and I made the decision to kill him to save the party for roleplaying.
Turns out it ended up being so cool the NPC's who witnessed it told tales in the next town of a brave flying man leaping into the maw of the beast and exploding out with an explosion of acid.

Back when we run LMoP, we also saved Droop and my dragonborn paladin took him under his wing. We were training him in martial training and he outright saved or asses quite a few times. In the end my character a Droop part ways with the rest of the group and started to wander around the land trying to make a name for the most valiant and brave little goblin we became.

One of the parties I DM for also "adopted" Droop. They use him as a pack mule and executioner. He's going to become a GOOlock.

>Day 593 of the goblin occupation
>Finally got some info on how they mastered flight and built those suits
>Some dumbass used them to help make his house fly
>Explains why they use it as a central base
>I wish we could go back in time and throttle that idiot

Our party keeps him scared to death and living in a bag (toolbox) of holding with an air straw. His only glimpses of light are when the box is opened so the Artificer can throw scrapmetal inside which rains down on his head, or when the intense-looking Awakened Mystic pulls him out to brainfuck him for info.

His situation has only marginally improved since being in that cave.

Not the original guy, but I also like the engineer/artificer side of mtg goblins. It's fine, it will be fine, nothing could go wrong.

I feel like too much of 5e is level gated. There's lots of interesting stuff that you don't unlock until you hit levels 10 and up, or even longer if you've decided to multiclass. This is around when most of our campaigns are winding down.

I feel like they should have made more of an attempt to scale a larger variety of abilities that are available early on rather than locking them behind high levels and the rare feat.

I'd like to get into d&d, but can't get my hands on the Player's Handbook. What do you think about d&d board games? These are easily accessible where I live. Should I give it a try, is it even worth buying?

QUESTION

In a musty little alcove of my FLGS, I found a copy of Council of Wyrms. I started playing with 3rd edition, so when I flipped through the thing I was pretty surprised: D&D-based rules for playing a setting where all the PCs are actual, full-grown dragons (and also various half-dragon options).

Anyone here ever played a Council of Wyrms game? Can you tell me about it?

PHB is in the trove..?

>Is the only "real" shop is CoS Bildrath's Mercentile? My players recently completed The Death House and they are looking to restock on resources
There's another shop in Vallaki, Arasek Stockyard

Nope.

Uh... What do female goblins look like?

Hmm I remain unimpressed.

In our Storm King's Thunder campaign, we flew our stolen cloud castle into an ancient blue dragon's lair and fought her and her retinue of gargoyles and stone golems during a thunderstorm. Then, halfway through, a fire giant lord we'd previously pissed off showed up in an ancient dragon-killing mecha that fired death lasers. It was a fun time.

Thinking about making a homebrew Barbarian archetype based around taking some of the abilities from monsters you slay and using them similar to battlemaster maneuvers. Basically a Final Fantasy Blue Mage. Has anyone worked on/seen a build like this before? Advice or pitfalls?

It probably wouldn't be hard to play a campaign like that in 5e, the only real problem would be high powered options for monsters are sorely lacking, due to the low power curve of 5e generally.

mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!kH4yAZ6L

How do you make resource management fun?
I want to run a game in which adventuring supplies like food and water would be important along with checking for and curing diseases. How do I make this engaging for the players?

>How do you make resource management fun?
You can't.

>decide to make players automatically gain the benefits of a skill feat for every skill they're proficient in
How much does this devastate the game?

Sidenote: Remove the stat bonus and double proficiency part, as it becomes redundant and kind of ridiculous.

But how do you properly run a campaign with survival in hostile and diseased lands in mind?
Think of a dnd fantasy world hit by a black plague that brings the dead back to life.
Is this just an idea I should let go?

Just the extra abilities or are you including the expertise bonus?

Well the first step would be to ban clerics, druids, and the Magic Initiate feat, as all three of them will allow the party to ignore food and water. Actually you should probably just ban any class with access to spells.

In reality, it takes a special sort of group to enjoy that sort of gameplay. I'm not saying it's badwrongfun, just that it is very particular fun, not suited for most people.

Some of them are broken IIRC, but most are just things that should be allowed if you're proficient.

Original guy here. I actually like the aspect of MTG goblins and shit just sparking or fizzing yet barely being held together. It's why I'm trying to do it.

And yes... I don't mind an inevitable goblin occupation of the sword coast.

Make resource management into a quest. Not something that they just tick off on a sheet.

Turn it into a tetris game for item storage. RE4's attache case seemed pretty popular.
Houserule some benefit to keeping well-fed and watered to encourage eating and drinking, maybe even have a well-cooked meal provide extra benefits.

BIG VONINDOD, SHOWTIME!

Paladin + Warlock takes either 6, 7 or 11 levels of Paladin first, and the rest goes into Warlock.

6 for CHA to saves. This is the most important.
7 if Oath of the Ancients, because of the Resistance to Magic ability.
11 for Improved Divine Smite. This is optional and only really worthwhile for Vengeance Paladins who want to go to 9th anyway to grab Haste, or (if UA is allowed) to Undying Light locks. This, however, locks out CHA to damage for level 20 builds, as that's a Blade Pact Warlock 12 invocation.

Best PHB pacts are Fiend and Fey, the former more combat oriented and quite nice at adding sustainability with its tempHP on kills, and the latter thematically appropriate for Oath of Ancients paladins. GOO doesn't synergize with anything.

The main things Paladin gets out of Warlock are short rest spell slots for Divine Smite (smite damage caps at 4th level slots, which is Warlock 7, though Warlock 11 bumps the available slots from 2 to 3), a reliable and scaling ranged option through Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast invocation, and extra utility between invocations and cantrips. Also the Darkness+Devil's Sight combo.

As to how to build there are really just two ways to go:
- The Tomelock route mentioned there, where Charisma is the main stat. This gives better saves once Aura of Protection is unlocked, better Eldritch Blast attacks (keeping in mind this is a secondary combat option), avoids MAD (though you still need STR 13 to multiclass Paladins) and access to extra good cantrips like Guidance.
- The Bladelock route. Focuses on Strength with Charisma secondary as per a normal Paladin. Allows the use of Heavy Armor, no need to spend a bonus action activating Shillelagh so that can be put into delivering an extra attack or using Hex for extra damage, and broader weapon selection (though you're better off using a Shield+Quarterstaff anyway). Overall it's the less supportive, more aggressive option.

Just the extra abilities. Maybe the ability score bonus too for some of the weaker ones.

Biggest conventional battle we had was probably against a fallen Solar. Our DM is fond of 'biblical' angels, and so once we took it out in a more standard form it turned into some huge eldritch abomination made of fire as large as a mountain that turned the skies red just by existing.

Counting more non-standard battles, our campaign finale had about eight stages to it, and the penultimate one had our Big Bad usurp the position of the absent omnipotent Ao/Lady of Pain style being above the Gods. Luckily we had partial access to the same source of power he had, so his apotheosis turned us into partially divine beings too and we all fought across the universe itself, abstracted into Yggdrasil. At that point we were meant to be larger than planets, and all the numbers we were throwing out were magnified vastly.

Campaign took us two years to finish, going from one to 20 with epic boons, so the huge scope was pretty cool.

The closest thing I can think of is the totemist class from 3.5. It was actually a really cool concept, a savage tribesman who would wear a gorgon mask for that petrifaction power, or a girallon talisman for the monster's multiple arms.

You may just want to go dragon sorcerer and refluff things.

>tfw our group had a flying cloud giant tower and were going to the cloud giant castle to rescue the dragon, scout the place out, regroup, and come back with a small army to clear the whole thing and take it
>but while escaping in the tower a buncha dumbos in the party thought we couldn't possibly outrun the castle even though we gained like thousands of feet in distance by just cutting the engines and plummeting towards the surface before reengaging
>they jacked the orb and rammed the tower up through the castle and we had to abandon it after fighting just three giants and escaping with pretty much none of the loot except the conch
They all wanted a fight or some shit and I guess they figured that if we left on the tower there was no way we could ever go back to the castle, least of all that same session. Yeah, okay, you guys want a fight, but it's five of us vs. an entire castle of giants, any one of whom could solo any one of us.
This shit happens all the time. My party refuses to prep for combat, run when things go south, or regroup to gain an advantage. Everything must be attacked head-on unless the plan to tilt things in our favor can be executed in less than a minute, and all fights must be run to the death. Even relocating to more advantageous positions is a fucking struggle with them and the only way I can ever get them to go along is by running off myself and letting them face a round or two of the harsh reality that I'm the tank and their 16 AC, 40 HP asses are going to get mauled to death in a single turn.
>fighting a remorhaze and two babies
>there's a giant pair of double doors we can el toro one through and hold closed against the children while we deal with mama
>party wants to fight all of them at once, out in the open

Skill Challenges in unsafe zones.

Say the party is adventuring through Deathdor, the land of Painful Deaths. They need to get from the Unsettling Pass and home to the Uncomfortable City, the last safe port and entrance to Deathdor, to the Ominous Tower, the heart of Deathdor. You could play out their travel like this:

DM: Who is handling the provisioning?
Ranger: I will.
DM: Okay, how do you go about preparing for your journey?
Ranger: I'm going to ask some of the woodsy types in this city what's important, and then buy that.
DM: Lore about Deathdor is closely guarded, and not easily given to outsiders. Roll a persuasion check
Ranger: 24
DM: Nice. Asking around, and with some cajoling, you're able to get a few tips about deathdor, particularly, you learn which ingredients won't spoil when they're hit with the Slighly Unnatural Wind of Deathdor. Using their knowledge, you are able to set up more than adequate provisions for the journey. And so, if there is no pressing business left, the party sets off. The first day is hard, but the guide you hired earlier, Gornara, is competent, and brings you through it. He is pleasantly surprised when he looks over your provisions, and remarks that he was expecting to have to scavenge food for the outlander idiots. The second day of your trip is more difficult. About midday, by your reckoning, though it is hard to be sure with the Clouds of Evil constantly obscuring the sun, Gornara collapses suddenly
Cleric: I instantly run over to him and try to diagnose what's wrong. Is that medicine?
DM: Yes, that'll do.
Cleric: Shit, I rolled a 1, plus 7, that's an 8
DM: You have no clue what's wrong with him, and his condition is rapidly deteriorating. His fingers are turning black
Cleric: okay, I'm going to try to stabilize him with a healing spell
Rogue: While he's doing that DM, I'd like to search Gornara to see if he had anything of value on him
DM: Okay cleric, what spell? Rogue, investigate (cont)

Can someone explain this Quaterstaff + shield thing to me?

>DM running a module
>we didn't read the module before hand to keep it fun
>don't remember the name
>remember Fochlucan Lyrist prestige class based on classic Bard
>decide to build a nature Bard, use variant Human for Magic Initiate feat, grab some druid spells
>DM adds first level feats, grab medium armor proficiency feat
>hide armor, spear, shield, rapier
>super MAD, not overly powerful, decent utility though
>name character Naoise Wodan since I'm basically an Odin archetype
>planning on college of lore for more druid spells and Find Familiar for a Raven
>first cave we enter chasing goblins, pair of wolves chained up
>can't stop grinning
>party preparing for combat
>roll Animal Handling and give them ration packs
>19 + proficiency and decent wisdom
>DM allows me to tame the wolves
>they become the front line damagers of the party with me buffing them and fighting alongside them
>party fighter jokes about killing them
>remind him that I'm the main party healer despite the other two both being druids
>mfw the bard has two animal companions while the druids don't
I didn't plan for this but I'm happy with how it turned out.

>DM running a module
well gosh i should hope so

We usually run campaigns based on the DM coming up with his own story or world.
This was a newer DM and not the usual one, so he wanted to do a module. I'm glad he did, two pet wolves is insane.

My players fought a really big slime. It was confined to an underground complex so it wasn't too big, but the players kept running into different parts of it when they tried to avoid the last one. They thought there were several slimes, hah!

In a level 20 one shot we were tasked with stopping a truly giant monster (towering over mountains) that just slowly walked across the world, destroying stuff wherever it stepped.

Polearm feat specifically says it can be used with quarterstaff, which can be used with only one hand. Use with a shield and you have very high damage and defense.

Also, you can refluff the shield as a parrying dagger and pass yourself off as Deathstroke, because he's basically the only guy that fights like this.

So I'm making an Awakened Mystic, I had in mind a rather physically feeble character with heavy emphasis on psionic/mental powers, but don't know how bad would it be to have subpar CON and DEX or low survivability in general.

Which of this sound better?

>8, 14, 11, 16, 14, 12
OR
>8, 13, 13, 16, 14, 12
OR
>8, 14, 13, 16, 14, 10

Going full
>8, 14, 14, 16, 12, 10
kinds of feels wrong, even if it gives more survivability.

This considering Mystics can change their saving throw proficiency, gain advantage on some skill checks and either boost their AC or self heal, but those can all be discipline taxes I'm not sure I can afford.

>Mastery of force's Inertial Armor (14+Dex AC)
>Bestial Form's Tough Hide (+2AC)
>Iron Durability's Psychic Focus (+1AC)

Also would any feat really benefit this concept or am I just fine maxing INT and then pumping DEX/CON and/or taking Resilient (CON)?

>tfw you spend time thinking up and writing a backstory and someone who couldn't be assed doing one just attaches their character to your backstory

Rogue: 19
DM: Aside from his sword and arrows, the only thing of value you find is a small leatherbound tome. Further examination reveals it to be written in a language you don't know, but the images and illustrations in the tome appear to be of some of the plants surrounding you, and unknown creatures.
Cleric: I'll use Healing Word
DM: Okay, you're able to stop the spread of that black color, stabilizing Gornara, but not reduce it.
Rogue: Does anyone in the party have any idea what language this book is written in?
DM: You show it to everyone, but they don't recognize it.
Wizard: Maybe it's a code. I'd like to look at it and see if it is written in any of the codes I know. Can I do a history check for that?
DM: Yes, roll please.
Wizard: 21
DM: Upon closer inspection, you are able to recognize it as a variant on a code you know, and with a few more minutes tinkering, decipher the book. It is an almanac for wandering the Deathdor Wastes.
Wizard: I skim the book, looking to see if anything in it matches what our guide is going through.
DM: it does. It seems Gornara was bitten by an Unreasonably Poisonous Insect, one of Deathdor's most dangerous creatures. Nearly invisible due to their size, they nonetheless have a bite that is incredibly lethal. The entry mentions a cure among Deathdor's plants, but it only grows on the northern mountain ridges, one day away, and two days out of your way to the Ominous Tower.
Ranger: Well, I say we leave him. I liked the guy, but it's too important.
Party debate commences, eventually they agree to do the morally ambiguous thing and tie him to his horse, give the creature a slap on the flank and hope he makes it back to town alive.
Ranger: I'll get us to that tower in once piece, especially now that I have this guidebook
DM: Okay, give me a survival check, with advantage.
Ranger: Uh, I rolled a 1, and a 2.
Cont.

Just create embarrassing past events for him now.
>HA HA FRANK REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE CAUGHT BY THE TOWN PRIEST CROSSDRESSING AND HE PUT YOU IN STOCKS IN THE CENTER OF TOWN BUT THAT MERCENARY BAND CAME THROUGH AND THEY DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A GUY AND YOU GOT A WILLY UP YOUR BUM

So I made my players simultaneously groan in annoyance

>PC is a dumbass warlock
>new player, turbo edge lord
>abyssal tiefling, uses batman voice
>gets killed while murderhoboing a merchant
>is brought back to life by the party
>proceeds to continue being a dumbass
>dies again eating a green dragon heart that stings his mouth and made him vomit several times before he forced himself to eat it
>his new PC, Jackie chan, a drunken master monk, keysters things like ale
>he quits playing after he finds out another player has his old characters heart
>Jackie chan, now an npc, eats the heart
>explodes in gore and morphs into a tiefling
>an abyssal one with dragon wings and some green dragon features such as talons on his fingers
>basically blob monk warlock young dragon into one character
>"I'll have my REVENGE"
>flies off
>"fuck why do we keep having to deal with this retard"

How could you possibly put that in there and look your DM in the eye without seeming like the biggest munchkin in the fucking world?

DM: you're able to avoid most of the dangerous on your way to the Ominous Tower, but unfortunately, you run into a complication as you check your provisions: Unreasonably Poisonous Insects have nested into your foodstuffs, by your count, hundreds of them. None of the food is currently safe to remove from your packmule, which is also dead, Unreasonably Poisoned.

And so on and so on. The party has a choice at the end there: they could go on to the tower, or they could try to find a way to save their food. Going on gets them to their objective the fastest, which may be important. But it might leave them without food for the journey back, which can be represented with further skill challenges.

Whatever you do, don't treat it as a checkbox and inventory management system.

Well, he probably isn't playing a full caster class with that set up, so he can't be the biggest munchkin in the world.

That's the thing: you don't. It's purely a power play, widely regarded as one of the bigger slip-ups in 5e.

That sounds pretty good, thanks.

So I'm getting pissed off playing roll20 with my friends.

I'm DMing.

Constantly late. 10-30 minutes

One player does his homework while playing. So he's afk

The other two late players are watchers and don't even play aside from combat.

The only person that does play and doesn't get emo makes it a 1 on 1 game.

We recently moved schedules because weekends don't work. So one player had to drop out.

I'm just getting more and more agitated

Have you tried not playing DnD?

> not teaching that one guy his homework

Pathfinder Refugee here, is DnD 5th edition fun?

Dual wielding lances > quaterstaff + shield

Roll 20 requires you to filter bad users out. Keep the good player and try and find 3 more. Eventually you find some non-shithead players. Both players and DMs on Roll20 should know that if they've ever used it for any length of time.

To be honest, it's just like finding players in real life. Real life has the advantage of players not being able to do homework, or alt-tab and be distracted though.

Yeah. I like 5th a lot better than 3.5/PF. It's not perfect, but it's not hot garbage either. I wish the book release schedule was a little bit faster on Wizard's end. I don't care for pre-made adventures that much.

The book _used_ the same stats for dragons as for humanoids, but used them differently. Like there was a table relating your Strength to your ability to smash through castle walls, even though you rolled 3d6 down the line for character creation just like in regular D&D, and even a human fighter with 18/00 Strength couldn't punch through solid stone.

And if you're a halfling ranger, you can use them while on a panther for the added bonus of the pounce ability. Or a pterodactyl, if you want flight.

I love 5e, but sometimes I think the devs are morons.

Three Liches in Lair, with double HP;
also 1 ancient Red Dragon with 8 Red Dragon Wyrmlings and 80 Guards.