Sometimes, I think about posting on a different board than Veeky Forums...

Sometimes, I think about posting on a different board than Veeky Forums. Then I see this kinda shit in someone's signature and I remember why Veeky Forums is my go to spot.

>Because people get offended when you tell them your credentials in the middle of a debate, I'm listing them here:
>I'm a genius with around 150 IQ.(Not an internet test. Rolling Eyes )
>Roughly 90% wins in 40k
>Top 20% of every major GT entered, including the LVO and Adepticon
>I can look at 2 units w/ their special rules and tell you which one is better in X circumstance without doing math.
>I hope these things help you to understand me as a person, so that I don't come across as arrogant when I talk to you. I'm not normal. The difference between my IQ and the average person is greater than the difference between the average person and someone who is mentally retarded. Imagine everyone around you being very slow to understand, if at all, of all of the things you instantly understand. It makes interaction difficult. People take offense easily. I mean no offense. Please forgive me.

I love you Veeky Forums. Discuss why you come to Veeky Forums and how we can make this an even better board. Or post TT-forum horror stories

Get your meta shit outta here

This.

>autism speaks

Yeah but nah Veeky Forums is great, it has it's slow spots but the anonymity means the hyperautism of most games forums is avoided.

Also you can call a cunt a cunt when they need to be called a cunt.

>Sometimes, I think about posting on a different board than Veeky Forums. Then I see this kinda shit in someone's signature
Did you mean a different forum? Veeky Forums as a whole is a group of imageboards, and no board on Veeky Forums allows for signatures.

yeah different forum. I'm not gonna call names and shit, since I don't want to get too meta Just wanted to share an anecdote that made me appreciative of Veeky Forums.

>plays 40k
>says he's smart
>not smart enough to understand why people consider him a tremendous cunt

I can never post anywhere else. I've spent years doing various things, but I have no "internet credibility" due to my consistent anonymity over the past... 11 years. I don't want to deal with identity politics and circlejerking fags. It's like in the last 5 years everything worthwhile on the internet got reduced to a bunch of extremely autistic idiots making cliques that have nothing to do with their actual abilities or aptitudes.

I'd like to have friends, I'd like to have a community that appreciates me, but I'll just settle for consistent thankless quality posting anonymously here. I just wish those fags would stay in their containment zones so I can pretend everything is fine.

Sometimes I consider posting somewhere else. Somewhere a little less 'negative'. Then I see the kind of culture that those circumstances breed and I'm back here.

>ask about examples about the failings of an rpg
>get told anecdotes about how the rpg is good
People who feel the urge to reply to a topic without adressing the OPs point set my teeth on edge. Or people who haven't played ir read the book poating in the thread. Fucking rpg.net

I wish Veeky Forums was less tolerant of namefags though, they seem to be coming out the woodwork lately.

That's exactly how I feel. For example, I'm a fairly good writer, and I'm one of the staple non-autistic /edh/ posters, but I just don't want to argue with someone whose only counter argument is "look at my name and suck my dick" followed by an endless parade of parroting idiots.

I recently got a job as a middle manager in retail, and people are exactly as horrible as you think they are. They're a bunch of mindless, tribalistic idiots who only ever think about themselves. Lately I've been trying to treat people with love and compassion instead of pure unadulterated contempt, but it's incredibly hard to have faith in something that consistently proves its flaws are reality.

you just gotta except that any original work you post is gonna get savaged. Which is fine, if you have an iota of self-confidence.

I remember a Warhammer forum I used to frequent. A guy was sculpting his own monsters out of putty because he was too cheap to buy miniatures. Which is fine.

However, they looked like something a 5th grader made, just shapes of clay. But people were giving him 'constructive' feedback and it became this circle jerk of friendliness because they were afraid to lose a new poster on their forum or some shit.

>I should have saved that shit.

I literally almost never even look at the name field.
I totally missed it when a recent quad nine had a name of "check em" until someone pointed it out.
Once in a blue moon someone will post something extraordinarily faggoty and I'll go, wait... Look up up, and it's a namefag.
But that's it.

Also, there are still at least two bro tier namefags our there.

>lately namefags
You weren't here during the days of RAWK LOBSTAR et al, were you? Namefags have always been prevalent.

It's just more noticeable in some Generals because you see them with more regularity.

Thanks user, now I've got the damn song stuck in my head again. Fucking B-52's.

Veeky Forums in general is falling the fuck apart at the seams and Veeky Forums ain't an exception. While I agree fully with the sentiments in this thread, the simple fact is that this website is in its death throes.

No fucking clue where I'm going next. As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, most communities consist of way more "look at my name and suck my dick" than is interesting.

Sweet jesus I know what you mean. There's literally nothing wrong with saying something's bad, it's the only way to improve in some cases.

I find they worship lower serving members to indoctrinate them into their cult, and act like staunch jackasses about anyone with a modicum of talent because it threatens the status quo. I just have no time for that shit whatsoever, which is why I like Veeky Forums. If you're good, and your opinion has merit, it doesn't matter if you're some skub sucking scrub who plays a geist of st. traft seamonster tribal and shitposts for 10+ hours every day. In that one brief moment you reach enlightenment and people recognize/appreciate it.

>you just gotta except that any original work you post is gonna get savaged. Which is fine, if you have an iota of self-confidence.
This is why I come here.
I am a better writer, debater, and artist than when I came.
And a better GM.
Veeky Forums has improved my approach to gaming in general.
And it did all while also incoherently cussing like a 13 year old on holiday.

Also, it's "accept" not "except"

I dunno. I have a soft spot for namefags on Veeky Forums, because I remember when we had good namefags. People who improved threads, like Mr Rage, or our many content creators.

Sometimes, being able to recognize someone is useful.

>I recently got a job as a middle manager in retail, and people are exactly as horrible as you think they are.
Some advice:
It is my opinion that 99.9% of the human race is completely useless to me.
The only way I get through life is by treating everyone I encounter as if they are the rare exception until they conclusively prove otherwise.

>Sometimes, being able to recognize someone is useful.

This is literally only true if they are doing something productive-- Drawfagging, running a quest, actively building and distributing a free system/setting, etc. And the name should be taken off after that activity is done. Anything else is just attention whoring bullshit.

Given that Veeky Forums doesn't get shit done anymore, there's no real excuse for namefags.

I came to Veeky Forums in 2014/13 (I forget) because I wanted a place I could talk to people, but I didn't need to log in and have a name and get circlejerked in an echochamber. Veeky Forums never pulled punches and you could have both stupid arguments and intelligent conversations at the same fucking time. However, I think Veeky Forums has become popular as of lately, and that's caused an influx of people from other sites (we all know which sites they're coming from) which don't know how to deal with the eco-system Veeky Forums. Instead they're an invasive species that doesn't have a natural predator to keep their population under control.

You two are just being nostalgiafags. Veeky Forums was always shit, and it will continue that proud tradition of being shit for the foreseeable future.

>dat everything

Unf

The important thing to remember is that they are people too. Despite what the tiny glimpse of their lives you see might indicate, they have a lifetime of experience and goals and shit. What they are doing has to, on some level, make sense to them in the context of their life. Almost no one is an asshole just for the pure sake of it. If you can figure out what makes them tick, chances are good you can figure out how to coexist better for mutual gain, so long as your goals are not mutually exclusive.

Granted, thats more of a personal solution than anything else. I have autism, so any conversation where I am not constantly reminding myself to think how the other person is thinking is going to be a bad time.

>the simple fact is that this website is in its death throes
It hurts, user.

>post TT-forum horror stories
I have none because I go nowhere else.
But I will share this:
I first lingered here because I used ttrpg sites just for the amusing stories and this was the only place where people didn't spend the first third of their story pointlessly describing their entire party and it's history to tell one damn anecdote.
That was the carrot.
Now I'm trapped under the box with rest of you faggots.
Party on.

>Nothing ever changes
>Veeky Forums is a rock of solidarity standing against the entire internet

Sure.

>The only way I get through life is by treating everyone I encounter as if they are the rare exception until they conclusively prove otherwise.
That's exactly right. I guess it doesn't matter because it's anonymous, but I work for a company that does food samples and recently our company got bought out. I used to be able to go to work every day and talk to that subhuman filth with energy and enthusiasm, but lately I just can't look these assholes in the eye. They're rich, successful people who can't formulate a single sentence, criticize and bitch about free food, while also being cheap smarmy fucks. At the same time, the staff that actually works for the store are pretentious about their better paying jobs and security when I literally work twice as hard for longer shifts without break, every day.

It's just so dehumanizing and before I started trying to be nice to people, it was making me actively hate people, but they aren't all bad. Sure, lots of them are, but a few are nice and it's not fair to lump them in with the writhing horrible masses. I think that's why I like Veeky Forums, because I can tell people like that criticism they couldn't receive in real life, and this is why I cant integrate anywhere else, because people will never understand that. It has nothing to do with being smarter than other people or thinking you're better than them, it's like the Thunderdome for ideas and rhetoric.

Fuck, if this place dies I don't know what I'm going to do. Also, is there even anywhere else I can talk about commander?

>falling apart at the seams

That is the best I've ever heard it described. The quality of this site has drastically declined in the last few years, but I continue to visit because it's so much worse everywhere else. Anyone know if there's some shangri-la that we can retreat to when Veeky Forums goes tits up?

I've been using since 04 or 05, and trust me, these are nothing like death throes. Yet.

Im of the opinion that Veeky Forums is simply being made to sleep in the bed in made. We signed the better part of ourselves away when we decided that being contrarian was what defined us.

The ability to be contrary is useful, but if being contrary is your stated goal, regardless of context or circumstance, you're just being a screeching asshole.

It also left us wide open for festering extreme opinions to make a home here and slowly declare themselves the new site culture, which is how you end up with /pol/. After all, you have to let them be as vile as possible and shit up your thread and your board. You dont want this place to be a *hugbox*, do you?

Redditor spotted, confiscate those double dubs.

>running a quest
>something productive

I do wish more people knew just how freeing anonymous communication was.

There's something wonderful about being forced to take someone at their word, and know that they're forced to do the same, because there is no frame of reference or established hierarchy.

The idea that I could be having a flaming row with an user in one thread but eagerly agreeing and collaborating them in another, simultaneously, is one of those unique phenomena that makes me willing to trawl through all the bullshit that is also a necessary side effect of anonymity.

There's nowhere to retreat to. This site's quality has declined drastically in the last few years because the entire fucking internet's quality has declined drastically in the last few years. Smartphones causing less content creation and consumer engagement, linking everything to your real name, native advertising/shills, and the general consolidation of typical usage cases down to an ever-dwindling number of websites have all combined to ruin us.

The bastards and normies already won.

Whine and bitch and cry if you want, but it's still OC creation, and your 500000th pathfinder general is not.

Angelanon is pretty great though, and should post with her name attached more often

And ND was practically a paragon of namefags before he migrated to an inferior board, the only people who still had issues with him were people who were still butthurt over that one quest ending.

Fucking this.

Veeky Forums still stands, and while it does, the normies have not yet won.

>After all, you have to let them be as vile as possible and shit up your thread and your board. You dont want this place to be a *hugbox*, do you?
Objectively wrong. The problem with /pol/ is that some posters are actually very good at what they do, and people who define themselves in antithesis to that attitude are the first ones to fall victim to their tricks.

Just tell them to fuck off and post smug anime pictures. They'll screech like a retard for a while, but if no one engages with their retarded conversation, they'll get bored and move on to somewhere easy, like /pol/ or /sp/ or wherever. Alternatively, you can be nice and educate the lesser on effective strategies to up their game, which will completely demoralize them. It's really easy to get them to fuck off, just don't give them oceans of (you)'s for easy bait that isn't even entertaining.

I have a similar issue, not due to autism, but because I think backwards, like solving a maze from the inside out.
It causes me to view and present things opposite of how normal people do.
I often praise something I really like by pointing out how small and insignificant it's worst flaw is.
Which is okay when describing a system, but incredibly shitty when thanking someone for a gift.
My hugbox home life and unhelpful friends caused me to go most of my life without even realizing this.

But you are 100% right about people. I once got into a huge fight with somsone over one line on a tv show about a guy who scammed by getting injured for money.
They relentlessly defended the fictional guy we knew almost nothing about for no rational reason until I remembered that the person arguing had been injured in an accident.
They were responding emotionally to things I hadn't even acknowledged.

>and post smug anime pictures

And now you're just as annoying as /pol/. Good job. 10/10. Pity /pol/ still wins by default as they've disrupted your conversation.

A) This place will never be a hug box
B) nu-/pol/ is the problem since they've been flooded with those disgusting normies who this /pol/ culture is the culture of Veeky Forums, and that they have to push their culture onto the other boards to be welcomed. Fuck off we're full.
C) Don't fucking double space. It pisses me off and I know you come from Reddit. At least your not Tumblr, they're worse

Sure bud, if that's how you really feel.

>C) Don't fucking double space. It pisses me off and I know you come from Reddit. At least your not Tumblr, they're worse

Your crying is only a reinforcing benefit. Readability is more important than your little bitch concerns, and I've been doing this long before Reddit existed.

>/pol/ culture is the culture of Veeky Forums
Obnoxious, edgy contrarianism has always been the culture of Veeky Forums. /pol/ is literally just /b/ now.

>I know you come from Reddit.
Or he's phoneposting you great big wally. You know how big a post looks through the mobile interface?

user, legible formatting isn't "reddit spacing". In a world without indentation line breaks are king.

This. Making posts actually readable rather than cluttered boxes of text is just good etiquette.

I was double spacing my posts before reddit was a thing.

I'm not going to stop just because it triggers your kind.

Fuck you, I do what I want.

The problem with /pol/ is that they take it too fucking seriously. That's my biggest problem with Veeky Forums and the internet in general nowadays.

Hey, you can wallow in the mud fighting with pigs if you want, just recognize that you are indeed accomplishing nothing other than spreading the shit and filth farther.

Veeky Forums is already riddled with normies, redditors and similar cancer

>you're face when there are people on this board right now who are not genius level IQ

You only need a frog and to go back to /r9k/

>your face when an anime poster can't use the right form of "your"

Nice purple rhetoric, friend. You seem awfully upset over basically nothing.

>purple rhetoric

liked and subscribed

It says was except in the very early days. Remember project chanology? That stuff didn't happen without normie bandwagoning

>Im of the opinion that Veeky Forums is simply being made to sleep in the bed in made.
Technically correct.

>We signed the better part of ourselves away when we decided that being contrarian was what defined us.
You are fundamentally wrong.
Veeky Forums has always had contrarians, but Veeky Forums is not contrarianism.

>I think Veeky Forums has become popular as of lately, and that's caused an influx of people from other sites (we all know which sites they're coming from) which don't know how to deal with the eco-system Veeky Forums.
This is exactly what's happening.
We can either teach and grow with the new blood, all of changing for the better while Getting shit done and mocking stupid cunts.
Or, we can reject the new blood, treat everything as foreign intruders, and let the host body die as it lived.

I've been here looooong before Veeky Forums was even a thing.

You can eat shit.

>genius
>thinks being able to win at 40k is a credential

>sometimes, I think about posting on a different board than Veeky Forums
So am I supposed to come here to talk about anime or lifting? How autistic do you have to be the solely browse only a single board?

We can sometimes go too far, though. Or a troll will use that as an excuse to bait while not providing anything of substance.

It's important to not just roast newfags and not just coddle them. Middle ground.

Those are bad examples. I know for a fact that Veeky Forums has excellent conversations on both anime and lifting.

>weebs kobayashi posting anytime dragons are mentioned
>white knights raving that women are just as stronk as men

We're not allowed to be intolerant of namefags anymore. Just the other week, I got a warning and had my post deleted just for telling one to fuck off.

Veeky Forums has spoken.

Ironically enough, you just gave a practical demonstration of how my exact strategy works. If I didn't reply anymore at this point, the argument is effectively diffused, barring samefaggotry. Smug can only be met with smug without making a self-aware poster look ridiculous, and tossing out a logical fallacy as a buzzword is a great way to trigger the shift in attitude from autism to pseudo-intellectual, particularly with /pol/.

Literally who on the first. Objectively wrong on the second, unless spamming cringey erp trash is improving content.

>Almost no one is an asshole just for the pure sake of it
That depends on how you define "the pure sake of it". Most people are assholes because the impulse they have at the moment is to be an asshole, and most people aren't critical of their impulses as long as following them is in any way gratifying.

I have name and tripfags filtered by default.
No, there's no "that one cool guy"

>Smug can only be met with smug without making a self-aware poster look ridiculous

You have been brainwashed by this website.

This. I've been posting like this on Veeky Forums since 2007, and this year is the first I've ever heard of anything called 'reddit spacing'.

>If I didn't reply anymore at this point, the argument is effectively diffused, barring samefaggotry.

Or them just restarting the argument in another thread you don't see. You're not "diffusing" the argument, you're just spreading it further around the board.

How the hell did this thread got so many bumps?

I remember sergalfag.

What a show.

>77 replies, 34 posters

Well gee Timmy, it seems pretty fucking obvious that there's a handful of people that all remember a better Veeky Forums and are nostalgic as hell about it.

It's one of the most obvious baits I've ever seen.
There's a designated board to talk about the site.

Because despite all the shitposting and autism, sometimes its nice to be reminded that there's a reason we all stay here.

I think you're missing the point. Where are you going to get the most (you)'s? A general of course, and this is a sure fire way to get someone to leave your general and shitpost somewhere else. Who cares if some random lore building/do space marines have big penises/which chaos god matches your buttplug thread gets shitted up a bit, it's necessary. If these shitposters were met unilaterally with the same response, they would leave for greener pastures.

I know the problem is with new posters serving as easy bait, and that's more difficult to remedy, unless board culture is to be casually dismissive with obvious trolls.

I'm just amazed that the "evil religio"n and the "mtg players are smelly so here's a /pol/ derail" are still alive.

I mean, they're really shitty threads, I can't believe have haven't been deleted. At least this thread has nostalgia and self back padding.

>Where are you going to get the most (you)'s? A general of course

False. Dedicated bait threads are better.

>to get someone to leave your general and shitpost somewhere else

Oh, I fucking get it. You're a general fag who doesn't give a shit about board health.

>If these shitposters were met unilaterally with the same response, they would leave for greener pastures.

Also you don't understand how Veeky Forums works, nice.

But we're talking mostly about Veeky Forums. We couldn't have this discussion on other boards because why the fuck would they talk about Veeky Forums?

This.

Putting a break after a post number looks a bit shit tho.

It's not about the site, it's about Veeky Forums board culture. Plus sharing horror stories from other tg-related communities. Which you might qualify as meta-shit-posting but we also have 'that guy' greentext threads

This. You'd be spending more time explaining specific things than discussing anything.

I'm reminded of my most successful thread. I asked a stupid but honest question, forgot about the thread and then an hour and a half and 350+ replies later I got banned.

I really wish my relevant Veeky Forums related threads had gotten the same interest.

Plus, you don't seem to get that two faggots smugging at each other is actually more annoying than one faggot going full /pol/. Your "surefire tactic" is also a good way to get normal posters to leave in disgust.

user, you're making a lot of generalizations. The assumption is that an obvious bait thread is ignored by a majority of the board, and while that may be optimistic, it's reasonable to assume quality posters wouldn't get involved with every single bait thread. Board health in and of itself is a nebulous concept, which was more applicable when "board culture" off topic threads were openly accepted, but at the current point in Veeky Forums's evolution, it's incredibly inefficient to have every single magic question posted individually.

Now, none of that has to do with the central argument. If /pol/ shows up, and you want them to leave, act like a smug dismissive faggot. I don't care if it's a board-relevant troll thread, because sometimes those are good for a couple of laughs and they actually require invested effort.

Chemotherapy kills a lot of things user. If you use it in directed moderation, it's much more reasonable. It's also significantly easier to ignore for a seasoned poster.

>Literally who on the first
A namefag in the CYOA threads who gets easily flustered when problems with her builds get pointed out. A small portion of posters in the threads hold a grudge against her because she messed up some magical realm roleplaying that they tried to run a while back or some shit. Also, she's female and has yet to deliver nudes, so she's automatically hated.

>Objectively wrong on the second, unless spamming cringey erp trash is improving content.
In the last year before he migrated, he was only showing up and posting in threads that either were ERP threads from the beginning, or had already been derailed into Slaaneshposting or monster girl fapbait.

>The assumption is that an obvious bait thread is ignored by a majority of the board, and while that may be optimistic, it's reasonable to assume quality posters wouldn't get involved with every single bait thread.

Not a reasonable assumption. How new are you?

>at the current point in Veeky Forums's evolution, it's incredibly inefficient to have every single magic question posted individually.

Only because fucks like you want a "community" to ask the same five fucking questions to the same 10 fucking people over and over and FUCKING OVER. Generals are so fucking stagnant and useless that all of their content ACTUALLY COULD be asked individually and receive better answers, just less comfortable ones.

>Now, none of that has to do with the central argument. If /pol/ shows up, and you want them to leave, act like a smug dismissive faggot.

Except it doesn't fucking work. They sit there and play the smug faggot game with you, knowing they've already disrupted your conversation and gotten folks to leave. And then when they get bored they restart the cycle in a different thread. So it doesn't get them to leave in any fashion.

>I don't care if it's a board-relevant troll thread, because sometimes those are good for a couple of laughs and they actually require invested effort.

So you've got completely arbitrary standards. Sensible.

>Chemotherapy kills a lot of things user. If you use it in directed moderation, it's much more reasonable. It's also significantly easier to ignore for a seasoned poster.

Poison is poison and shit is shit, mate, and you're trying to act all fuckin' noble for spewing poison and shit everywhere. Even if your tactics worked it'd be debatable whether they were worth it.

>this entire post
My goodness user, you're quite upset at smug anime posting and the very concept of generals. It seems like you're the type to have long, detailed arguments about fascism in a completely unrelated thread.

There are two key components, the smugposting, which you seem to understand, and ignoring them afterwards. If you keep conversation curt and to-the-point, it's over with quickly, instead of turning into a monolithic shit-post-athon against someone with autism.

And I'm outright saying that if you don't keep up the smugposting, then they'll wait five minutes and two unrelated replies, ignore you in turn, and go right back to /pol/-posting. And while they're in this waiting period, they're shitting up another thread on the same board.

Yes, I'm fucking annoyed by generals and anime girl posting. No, not everyone who thinks people like you are utter fucking scum are /pol/. Yes, you are just as fucking annoying as /pol/.

I don't think you have as tight a grasp on rhetoric as you believe you do

>no board on Veeky Forums allows for signatures.
Are you really that new that you've never seen the fags who attach sig blocks to their posts?

Are generals even that awful? I browse whfb and infinity and they are pretty comfy.

>I've been posting like this on Veeky Forums since 2007, and this year is the first I've ever heard of anything called 'reddit spacing'.

I've also been here since 2007, and I only started seeing people complain about it last year.

>Reddit is just a term used for 'things I personally dislike' to give it more authority