What if the DM dehumanized himself to make his pronouncements seem more absolute?

What if the DM dehumanized himself to make his pronouncements seem more absolute?

Would we still see his mouth moving under the fabric?

Seems counterproductive. He is bringing more attention to himself by acting eccentric.

What if the DM had a small child at her side who rolled dice for her?

I've heard stories that back in the day Gygax would hide behind file cabinets while running games at TSR to achieve this same effect.

It would be distracting. In the same way, the DM holding a prop sword or wearing a robe and pointy hat, would be distracting.

Best response this thread is gonna get.

I once ran an entire Shadowrun session in the matrix using a text to speech program and prewritten dialogue. Gave a fun little effect for the players and made them feel like they were talking to a program directory more than just a person pretending to be one.
Repeatedly telling them their input was not recognized when they started getting out of character was fun too.

Pack it up boys it's all down hill after this one

>hiding from your players
>not staring into their eyes when you call for save vs death
>not conveying false emotion with your facial expressions, to draw your meta-gaming, shithead, players into a false sense of security, before dropping a rock on them

Has this guy never DM'd before?

>It would be distracting.

Yes, but would it be less distracting than the alternative?

No Steve it wouldn't.

Take your cape off, put some jeans on and run the fucking game, dude.

thats fucking good

>Heir to the protestant tradition.

F

The word you're looking for is iconoclast.

The protestants were iconoclasts, but they also hated things like pageantry and ritual.

Thus the protestant revulsion at the idea of a DM who isn't plain-clothed and plain-spoken.

>Thus the protestant revulsion at the idea of a DM who isn't plain-clothed and plain-spoken.

The visual theatrics aren't required. A DM can keep his players entertained without dressing as Elmer the Safety Elephant.

What if the DM dehumanized himself and faced to bloodshed?

How will he ever recover

Had Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, never DM'd before?

...no, user. No he had not.

>failing a CHA check to detect sarcasm

>defaced statues

beat me to it. Fuck

oh gosh i had forgotten about this one

Sound cool and it would probably be very effective, but it's definitely a bitch to set up properly. I'm highly tempted to give it a go anyway, the question is, where do I find a group of reliable players who don't know me personally.

I feel like the best way to rig this up would be to literally seat all of the players opposite you at the table, so that they are facing you, but then keep your side of the table in darkness so that they can't get a good look at you.

When you speak clearly, they either won't look at you or will be focused on trying to read your face through the low light. When your hands move to adjust anything on the board, they will watch with anticipation because they can't make out anything else about you.

Assuming that it isn't some mysterious random child they kidnapped, that's a cute way to get your younger kids interested in the hobby

>Trying to convey sarcasm through text

Yeah that's real smart.