So your setting is like Game of Thrones?

>So your setting is like Game of Thrones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>so dnd is kinda like World of Warcraft?

>tfw I had a player who never played DnD before say this to me

Yes, it is

No, user, my setting is not a bastardization of a good book series.

>So Warhammer 40k is kind of like Starcraft?

"Yeah but from the 80s and crazy. Shittier games, though..."

>Doesn't know that GW and Blizzard worked together for warcraft and thus had a lot of cross-pollination.

>Not using a easy parallel to help you describe and flesh out your world.

Autism.

well... is it?

Sort of, I guess

>"Oh, it's Lord of the Rings"

>"so it's like runescape?"

I mean, how'd you mean?
I mean its kinda a broad question you're laying on me here.

>so its like a Dragon Ball Z?

>So it's like [some fucking anime]

but that sounds fun actually

at least wacky early runescape

>something something 4th edition something

>so, we've got a tank and a dps. We're short a healer.

So your setting is like Harry Potter-verse? Can I be Hermione?

I'm kinda shocked at all this. Do you guys really get told shit like that?

Yo kid, want some free cool shit? Follow me through the magical land, the wilderness

Yes.

Most fantasy media these days is descended from dnd (or at least inspired by it) in ways that are obvious. But people are more accustomed to the newer media, and less exposed to dnd. It's kind of like hearing about a woolly mammoth for the first time and saying "so the woolly mammoth is like an elephant, right?".

That said, I have heard people call dnd a final fantasy ripoff. Had to set them straight, but it's fun to show people part of the lineage of modern fantasy.

>Oh, I get it now! It's like Skyrim.

>mfw people compare my generic fantasy games to their generic fantasy anything else.

Actually I'm kinda surprised 'cause I generally either

a) do some shit that is generic enought that no one should be triggered by inverse cause-effect ("oh, elves and dwarves, like in WOW?") idea
b) something original enough that it's more or less impossible to catch a generic, normie-friendly origin

Especially 1. If it's basically a DND generic setting, it's not any worse than a generic WOW clone, as a setting.

Oh boy.

Trade me ur armor and ill make it gilded bro. Its easy.

Generic is fine. Just know what you're doing.

I'll be real with you, I just want to play a game of dnd where we go through a mazelike dungeon full of monsters, fight a dragon, loot its hoard, and save a princess. I have seen quite enough satirical deconstructions and attempts to explore some topical aspect of the human experience, that I'd just like to try some good old unadulterated tropes for once.

Wasn't dissing on the generic. I mean, maybe I do appreciate more if it's not straight from the 80s dungeons, but still.

>oh so you copied nearly word-for-word everything about this anime you've never heard of
>tfw it's fucking identical

>good

>Was it really like that back then?

Yes.

now hang on a minute

>because a ranger can solo orcus
you can't solo any big boss in wow

As a wow player I wish you guys would stop comparing the best MMO out there with a shitty non-rpg board game like D&D 4e.

"Yeah, my setting is kinda like Game of Thrones, except it has no traditional fantasy or magic elements, it's set in space, and it's basically Space Prussia vs. Space America. So yeah, it's kinda like Game of Thrones, except it has nothing to do with Game of Thrones, motherfucker."

>So your setting stole *any of the 6 million cliches 40k stole from sci-fi or fantasy from the last 100 years* from 40k?
And if you mention where it is actually from
>No 40k did it first

If you wanna nitpick... Starcraft started out as 'WH40K: THE RTS', then shit went down in development, changed developers, lost gw's blessing, changed productors too I think, it was a mess, but at least in the end it hit the shelves.

I did once describe DnD to my brother who's never played it like "a cooperative Dark Souls, but with permadeath". He now occasionally plays and is usually one of the more cautious players of the group.

>TFW Size based magical realm
>TFW DM makes us fight giant creatures
>TFW fight conditions Match magical realm parameters
>TFW DM has no clue, and there's no way I'll tell.

>Harry Potter with swords

But user, it is.
The fact that it is D&D what inspited Warcraft and not otherwise, doesn't change that they are quite fucking simmilar and represent the same shitty niche within fantasy genre. At least WotC D&D

>Young Harry potter was an ordinary kid until Hagrid the half giant burst into his home, killing his foster family in an explosion of debris
>U're a Barbarian 'Arry

A guy in a group I was DMing, to whom I made it very clear that everything was intended to be pretty whimsical and lighthearted, kept trying to turn the campaign into Game of Thrones.

>hey dude, I made up a family tree for my character. a lot of backstabbing in their past, lol!
>I think next session we should go somewhere where we can get involved in some political intrigue. that would be fun!
>various references to things which i imagine must have been from game of thrones

I killed his whole family with demons and instead of political intrigue I sent them to the moon to murder a lovable gay lich and then banned all GoT references at the table.

>wait, did we kill everything? OH LOL hang on I have something for this

>youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

>party acquires McGuffin
>"Is it just me or is this like [anime]?"

That sounds pretty terrible... I hope that guy found a better GM.

>play a real game, not a WoWclone

But I stopped playing 3.5 years ago.

>I don't care who Cuchulain is nor from what manga he comes from, no animoo in my games

>user explains that some fucking anime
>Turns out is like that some fucking anime to a T
Goddamn it, Japan, stop making all the good ideas

>GM rages over that sentence
>Later we die because we were short a healer
Everyfucking time

Oh, so your setting is like Game of Thrones in Space

>So it's like playing make believe, but with dice?

>Its like Fallout !
To be honest these kind of parallels help when you're trying to bring new players into the game.
And by that I mean people who have absolutely no idea how to play TRPG or that TRPG existed in the first place.

>we get together to make a group, try to coordinate what we're making so there's little overlap
>REE STOP METAGAMING
>keeps REEEing when we explain we don't want the party to be redundant
>all decide to make Wizards, Clerics, and Druids because they're functional by themselves independently of what everyone else made
>REEEE WHY DO YOU GUYS ALWAYS PLAY SPELLCASTERS REEEEE
>Still insists on running 3.PF unironically

>oh, so it's like Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

My setting is like Game of Thrones, if Game of Thrones had the standard fantasy races but in relatively unusual societal positions due to advancing technology and society from the pseudo-High Medieval/Renaissance norm they're normally presented in, and early gunpowder personal firearms in line with 15th-century technology, and ships from the main continent that were starting to explore the sea, and Vancian magic in the vein of D&D 5th Edition, a planet with a normal progression of seasons from spring to summer to fall to winter that takes about 365 days to complete, and a completely different tone of exploration, revolution, change, and wonder.

But yeah, except for that, it's just like Game of Thrones

>first time i played a TRPG, looking at the stats in pathfinder, and in particular the encumberance rules, my first reaction was was 'oh, this is pretty similar to how dark souls does it'
for a new player just entering the hobby, i guess these comparisons help sometimes - at the very least, it provides a bit of context and familiarity for what you're doing.

The fuck game did you describe, and to who?

That surprised you? Don't know about normies, but needs latch onto the thing they like, make it the center of their universe, and assume it's the center of all universes.

What giant monsters? Like humanoid or just big dragons and beasts?