Is warhammer 40k getting more popular...

Is warhammer 40k getting more popular? I keep seeing a influx of 40k memes and reaction images on the rest of Veeky Forums, and one of my normie friends actually asked me about 40k the other day. Whats going on here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Sales
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's just a cool concept and I think a few normies caught wind of it and it's snowballing

>normies caught wind of it
Warcraft/Starcraft based on Warhammer/40k has been popular for quite some time

There are a shit ton of new warhammer video games infesting the normalfags

>Implying normies know that blizz based all their shit on Warhammer

I'm getting into it at the moment, so here's my 2c: I've known of it for about 10-11 years now. Seriously considered getting into it in 2009 but ended up not doing it as it just seemed too expensive and time consuming at the time.

Then very recently was introduced to Only War via my D&D group, really enjoyed that so I've been looking into the wargame. More interested in the hobby and fluff side of it, but I definitely will be playing some casual games here and there.

Rather happily for me the timing conveniently coincides with both 8th edition being on it's way (waiting for that before I buy anything) as well as Dawn of War III.

>Is warhammer 40k getting more popular?
I don't have the information to answer that, so I'm going to give an anecdote: I have not seen a game of 40k in the flesh in over 3 months. I have seen several hundred games of X-Wing in that time, along with Guildball, historicals, Warmahordes, etc. Actually where could I find relative sales data for different tabletop games? Does it exist?

I saw a heresy joke in a recent episode of Game Theory, I had to double take and make sure. Whatever the reason, I'm sort of glad and sort of scared. Glad because I can find more fans of 40k. Scared because it might drive the license to even more shit as they try to FORCE it to be more mainstream.

I think a lot of things are in peripheral interest for a while - it's not like people are unaware of popular things they don't take part in completely - but then something happens that pushes lack of interest into idle curiosity or desire. I knew about Warhammer Fantasy for years, but I didn't actually get seriously interested in it until, unfortunately, the End Times. STALKER was known to me, but I didn't pick up any of the games until a friend talked about it and piqued my interest. Anime is an even easier subject - half of the classics out there just become common knowledge to anyone who watches anime in general.

In my mind, people who had idle interest in 40k are becoming more widespread because this big event is shaking things up and garnering interest in the people who before barely cared about it. People are talking about it more and there's some legitimate excitement. It's probably also getting people who were bored with the setting back into it, though for me personally it's threatened to drive me further away.

But this is NOT a normie thing, not if you mean 'people who have had no exposure to 40k.' If you have no knowledge of 40k, you aren't going to get into it right of the bat. It's a fucking huge setting with a lot of elements that can be hard to explain in any depth, and is a lot different from many other more familiar settings to most. You won't save a 40k reaction image or meme if you don't get the joke behind it. You could argue channels like Alfabusa has made it more accessible, but it's not as if he's easy to find if you aren't looking for Warhammer humor directly.

dawn of war 3 and total war: war hammer happened. Search your feelings and know it to be true. Also...

Please to not burn me for this...

but...

Horus Heresy Novels are far more popular then most 40k novels ever were.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Sales

Before the HH series non of the black library novels had EVER gotten onto the New York Times best seller list. Not even Gaunt's Ghosts had done that at the time. Also it has gotten very good critical approval.

I know you are mad most like for touching on that because /tg hates HH. Most because it takes a giant shit on a number of things, like the goodness of the Emperor as a person and as a leader. I defense of that 40k one has almost no good guys in it and two 40k as a setting was made to lampoon Imperialism. The foreword of the Enforcer Omnibus puts it much better then I ever could. Keeping that in mind the golden way stand in in the form of the EoM dreams for mankind should be on the chopping block as well. The HH novels make the most sense as being a tale of two villains that can be both be viewed in a good light based on what you judge to be important.

Big problem I have with HH is that it makes the Emperor seem almost utterly irredeemable, even in a 'for what is best' sense. His plans all suck, his reasons are foolish, and the source of his power and motivations range from questionable to outright heretical.

But I accept your point. I imagine some people got into 40k by picking up a random novel out of curiosity. I can understand DoW3, but not really T:WW, since Warhammer Fantasy is still distinct enough from 40k that I don't see people making the jump. Maybe some of the other new games, like Deathwing or Battlefleet Gothic.

日本人にwarhammerの世界を教えるのはfalloutを教えるより難しいぞ

Really? Which one?

I *think* the For Honor one? It's a real quick text flash toward the beginning, during some kind of theatre transition if I remember correcly.

Thats not relevant to the point.
The point is that they're generally similar settings that are already popular. 40k having appeal as well shouldn't be surprising.

I couldn't find it. No 'theatre transition'.

>Emperor seem almost utterly irredeemable

From the view point of making a well balanced character in the traditional good writing 101 sense I agree wholly. But think about who his counter point is, Horus. Bother killing, son slaying, oath breaking, making deals with elder gods, parricide rage-boning Horus. They need to make the Emperor be near to Horus's very low level if they do not want the Emperor to be the 'Hero'. That needs one hell of a ax job.

Also they are going for after the modded for which the emperor was cased from, Leto II. Not saying that is a good idea though.

>outright heretical.

But if the emperor did it how can it be heretical for him to have done so? I mean it could be heretical for others on a case by case matters to do the same. After all do as the emperor says not as the Emperor does. He is divine and we are but mere men.

I think a good part of the early Adeptus Ministorum job was facing saving damage control.

Hmmm... I don't know which video then, it might have even been Film Theory. This was around a couple months ago.

40k's existed in a similar cultural space as comic books: Everyone has a basic idea of who Superman is and what he's about but nobody reads his comics because they've been writing Superman comics for 100 years so there's a massive volume of it to take in and they don't even know where to start. Everyone knows 40k's the one with the Space Marines and that God-Emperor guy, but the setting could charitably be described as "sprawling" and they're not about to just start clicking through a wiki for hours just to learn more about the lore of a wargame they've no interest in playing.

Then the recent glut of 40k vidyas happened, and suddenly normies have a foot in the door. They have an entry in the setting that they give a shit about and a starting point for learning more about it.

The comparison to Horus reminds me: a big problem is that there's no shades of grey, every character kind of sucks without much to redeem them.

>X-wing

Its not fair bro, X-wing is tremendously more fun, cheap and skill based than p2w 40k.

>p2w 40k.
Seriously? 40k has its issues, but p2w isn't one of them.
You dont have to make shit up just because you dislike it.

Also Horus' fall is so bad in the books. He believes Erebus over Magnus despite catching Erebus lying straight at his face. Horus does a complete 180 without any real precedent

Stop hanging out in /pol/.

And to the faggot 40k spammers, get a life.

Yeah, so how it went the thing that in X-Wing, in order to be competitive you needed to buy even ships of other factions?

Yes.

I'm a librarian, and my perspective on it is that the general trend of fiction is becoming darker and darker, it's only natural that people would stumble on 40k, a setting so morally rehensible, that it created the term "Grimdark."

Basically, stuff like SoIaF, Twilight, Hunger Games, or even Bleach and Dark Souls brought out this love for morally grey settings, or settings where even the guys you're supposed to root for have hidden agendas.

hey look its the "our exclusive club" guy! Love seeing you every time one of these things pops up. Keep living in that social bubble that you call your life homie!

There has been a surge of warhammer games recently. There has been quite a few new people that came simply because of Total Warhammer(awesome game btw). Now that EC has f2p it may also lead some to the way. I personally got into the hobby cause of Total Warhammer myself and I began this in december. I always thought the IP was super cool and had awesome aesthetics. Dawn of war almost pulled me in but I was super broke at the time and now I have the money to get what I want.

Nerd culture becoming fashionable periodically or being "discovered" and appropriated by hipsters from time to time (Last year my group had a couple of hipsters hanging around sessions for a few weeks, I swear they were studying us like we were some lost tribe or something. Kept asking questions and calling me buddy like I was five)

Also video games spread brand awareness like the plague

I blame big bang theory.

I think it's a symptom not the cause

Guys what if... Guys wait hold on
... What if this increase in popularity was solely due to the increase of licensed video games in the industry? Most of those memes come from /v/. Anyone playing video games has heard of 40K or Warhammer.

I keep seeing people say this on Veeky Forums, but I see 40k games all the time at the FLGSs in my area, so I can only assume that you're either shilling, or your local area has fallen to a temporary fad before they return to 40k (happened in my area with Bolt Action a few years ago).

The Baader Meinhof Phenomenon.

I don't mind a new influx of fans.
That is as long as their not like this autist who talks about the fluff like its a fucking tumblr tv show.
>Sending an Etheral on a Scouting mission is justified because they can fight.
>Cato Sicarius could beat Roboute Gulliman in a duel.
>Teehee Slaanesh
>Warhammer saved my life
>Inquisitor Grayfax and Saint Celestine should get married
>Sisters of Battle only use flamers and human wave tactics.
>They should redeem one of the chaos gods, as if their a character and not a force of nature.
>Emperor should marry an Eldar Goddess

She makes that Warhammer Podcast unbearable.

Boy the D*sney shills are even hitting Veeky Forums. The Mouse doesn't fuck around with its astroturfing.

Who the hell is this?

I have a coworker who just calls people buddy, but he's a really high energy social creature and I think that's just how he is.

A ton of them probably caught wind because of the Trump God-Emperor memes and no barely anything about it.

>>Cato Sicarius could beat Roboute Gulliman in a duel.
Link this, I have to hear their 'logic'

It's in the lastest Adepteus Podcastus. I don't know the time stamp. I don't remember if she actually gives a reason. The other guys on the Podcast (who are actually good in my opinion) call bullshit.

EgoqueenAlexis on youtube.
I don't actually watch her content but she appears on the Adepteus Podcastus and that was enough to turn me off her content forever.