/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/princes-gambit-its-final-nights-on-kickstarter-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Are mages really the biggest dicks in the WoD setting? Can they be genuinely nice individuals?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/HWWDj
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are plenty of nice mages, but the worst individuals in the World of Darkness--or, at least, the ones who do the most harm to the world--are mages. At least in nWoD. Be they Scelesti who feed little bits of reality to the Abyss to be lost forever, or Seers working to ensure that everything stays generally crappy.

Terrifying.

Remind me again why the Uratha would even dare challenge an Adept.

So.

I want to play a game. I am sick of being Forever ST.

ah a vamp in it's rightful place.

Posting this from old thread
One of my characters wouldn't have become a hunter but to be honest the story took an almost dark spin.

The game was broken up into two campaigns. The first one having us play as kids (11-13) who are still mortal but have supernatural merits such as Wolf-Blooded, Psychic, Low magic, etc. The story was that we lived in a town like Twin Peaks/Gravity Falls with a strong mana and spirit locus in the woods that attracted Ghosts, Spirits, Werewolves, Mages, etc.

I played a kid Wolf-Blooded with dual tells Exciting and Bitten. My parents were rich assholes and held rights to half of the woodland area were all the magic shit was happening, the other half belonging to a rival family that were Werewolves/Wolf-Blooded. Werewolves were trying to take the land for territory and my character's parents were going to deforest most of the area so they could build a resort property. My character's uncle was greedy and originally wanted us to sell the land to the rival family for a quick profit but because of bad blood between the two a sale was off the table.

My father was killed by a werewolf early in the story and I was left with my mom. However the werewolves also tried to take out my character and his mother when we were driving home from school. They had used some Gifts to make the area foggy and descended from the hills to ram our car over the cliff we were snaking through. They "killed" my mother, and left me severely wounded (broken leg and a severe bite mark on my right shoulder). I wake up in the hospital and they say that my mother is missing and I'll be put in the care of my uncle for the time being.

As I'm still in the hospital I hear my uncle screaming with some lawyers as it seems that the property would not pass to him as my father made me the heir of the estate and my mother signed a prenup that prevented her from challenging it or having complete claim to the estate if he died until I turn 18 years old

>There are plenty of nice mages

I don't believe you achieve mastery, to say nothing of archmastery, unless you're a DEFCON 1-level asshole.

If this is not expressly stated in the core, it will no doubt be in a supplement or the FAQ.

>assuming water is even in the vicinity
You're desperate, aren't you?

I'm not sure if sprinklers will even hamper a raging tornado of fiery spite.

What do you base this on?

Follow up, what sort of powers would it have beyond the obvious stuff like mild control over plant and animal life as well as maybe certain mental affects on people in the forest.

Dave did mention recently that most Archmasters are too fixated on their cosmic obsessions to care about anyone other than their own selves.

The nice ones always act through proxies, never making themselves known.

So, I think I've decided that my very favorite WoD scenario to play out would be "Followers of Set vs. the Cult of Aten" in a generational game that might resemble Assassin's Creed, with the Setites being the Assassins and the Atenists being the Templars.

To clarify, the Cult is the organization dedicated to serving the Aeons (entities Set opposes; they're basically akin to the Exarchs, assuming they exist; if they do, they're probably aspects of the Weaver or something), taking different names throughout history (allegedly, they're the Illuminati in modern times).

If a pack of werewolves can't match a given cabal of masters.

What can?

My cock.

>What do you base this on?

"“Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority; still more when you superadd the tendency of the certainty of corruption by authority.”"

>If a pack of werewolves can't match a given cabal of masters.
>What can?

Gods of olde, anti-reality shards, Exarcharl Ochemata, and other WMD type threats.

Hot

This is how I Archmage

do you want to take guaranteed 2agg plus dex weaponry in lethal from a co2 fire extinguisher or guaranteed 4 agg plus strength brawl from a chemical extinguisher in bashing? we don't even need an Uratha for this experiment in underestimaging, just some Uratha's wolfblooded cousin or a raggedy ass hunter.

just hope they don't actually bring some kind of water sprayer or fire engine, that'll do guaranteed 2agg/sec plus dex brawl. also pray that if you try to turn back into your bitchnigga form that one of the Uratha isn't a Storm Lord with a lightning fetish. they'll be calling you Benjamin Franklin at your funeral.

That's a nice Chantry you got there, Mr. Bombadil.

>needing to ask this

>the desperate pleas of recognition from a fucking French person

get over it

as teh story teller it's my duty to inform you that your PC mage died because they thought it would be a good idea to BECOME silver FIRE in order to kill some Uratha, instead of, you know, doing something that would have ACTUALLY killed them. Like turn their den into lava. There's a reason kids play that game, or filling it with enough anesthesia to suffocate them.

Reliably? Not a chance. Individually speaking mummies & demons can compare to mages, but Cabals specialize at collaborating.
Even then it's hard to know for certain, as Masters can delete you with no chance of survival. Bypassing Withstand (via ES rolls) is just that ridiculous. I think only mummies could survive it, but that just means they will suffer a fate worse than death.

The last thread was a downhill storm of piss and diarrhea, let's not go back there.

Rank 7+ entities, and Archmasters.

God Tier
>Archmage

Top Tier
>Prep Mage
>Loud Demon
>Fresh Mummy

Middle Tier
>Mage
>Demon
>Sin-Eater
>Mummy
>Werewolf
>Beast
>Changeling

Lower Tier
>Promethean
>Vampire
>Surprised Mage
>Prep Hunter
>Hunter

>still haven't played in a werewolf campaign
>still haven't played any ttrpgs

why must life be so difficult

/wodg/
regale me with stories of you playing werewolf, apocalypse or forsaken

Don't see any issues with this list, other than perhaps Beasts and Werewolves. I always thought the former was a tad bit stronger than the latter.

you underestimage Prometheans and Overestimate changelings.

Sorry, but gay fairies could totally beat up some orphaned bodybags.

Hey assholes.
Have a storytime.
The Hunters of Melville imgur.com/gallery/HWWDj

>tfw even a prepared mage is still a human and complete putty to a kindred

you really need to work on writing up your adventures for actual play stuff, instead of rambling summaries no one cares about.

Lawn chairs aren't allowed to talk.

Dude. Don't fucking bait the magefags. Now they're gonna shit up the threadwith talk about spheres and arcana because they're too autistic to ignore the bait.

>tfw when even an elder vampire is still a corpse and complete putty to a death mage

>tfw mages are better vampires than actual vampires

You ever think magefags actually enjoy taking bait to flaunt their alleged supremacy?

I sure do.

>tfw if a mage wants to get strong he has to use all of his time to study and practice and eschew any sort of relationship or alliance

I'd give my left nut for a thread with no bullshit about mage supremacy

>alleged supremacy

There's nothing alleged about it.

Then dont fucking give them the privilege

>tfw when it was all worth it

I only accept quality nuts

It'll never happen user.
Magefags are the only thing more arrogant than actual mages.

I bet magefags play the perfect mages because of this.

kek

I think all the splatfags act like their relative splats, to be honest.

>implying any average magefag has a game group

Are all vampfaggots fat goth chicks?

No.

You could say the same thing about everyone else here.

If I play Werewolf does that make me Native American?

Yes.

Aren't werewolves more of a worldly thing rather than one specific continent / culture?

Now who would win in a SEX OFF!

Didnt think they rambled. But okay.

Still Mage

With out any special abilities? Vampires.

Hunter is literally the only sane option to actually have sex with
Yeah yeah there are all these cool sexy stories about fucking vampires, but going by canon it's creepy as shit with pale cold bodies, blood everywhere, and they're probably gonna eat you in the morning. Same with basically all of them.

Sex with a Daeva would be entirely safe, just don't do it more than once.

Hey, werewolves are fine to have sex with most of the time. In fact they have to have sex with humans to reproduce, werewolf on werewolf sex results in deformed incest babies.

Still have to deal with the blood coming out of everywhere right? Or did that get retconned.
Also cold lifeless bodies, unless they use blush of life, but that only lasts so long. You wake up to a corpse laying next to you.

>Fine
Dude they probably smell like shit, and also might get all weird and 'primal' during the act. I mean sure that /sounds/ sexy on paper, but you really want a bitch howling right during the act? Not to mention the possibility of freaky spirit shit.

Since Kindred can't actually have sex without activating the blush of life, you won't have to worry about pale cold bodies. And Vitae is perfectly good at mimicking other bodily fluids (if it wasn't, vampires would have blood-red eyes and would salivate blood more or less constantly).

In Requiem (not sure about Masquerade), Blush of Life means that their bodies are at least comparable to any human, and the experience of the kiss is typically incredibly pleasurable for mortals. They rarely resort to draining someone dry. So if you're okay with being a blood donor, they're definitely a good lay.

Vampires ejaculate blood. Nothing wrong with that, especially for pragmatic reasons.

Not-rotting corpses that are self aware and conscious? Yeah, attractive as fuck.

Then have sex with a vampire with Humanity 8 or higher in Masquerade (the blush is permanent) or one with the Coil of the Ascendant in Requiem (the blush can last for 24 hours).

No, I don't think I am okay with taking lethal damage just for a really good feeling is okay.
>Nothing wrong with that

I don't play vampire (masquerade or requiem) so this might be an obvious question. But how does vampire society deal with changing culture and eldar vampires?

Like would a guy embraced in the antebellum south really be accepting of other races?

Would a vampire town hall meeting be like thanksgiving where your 93 year old great grandma is liquored up and she's telling stories about her time in the Hitler youth and you just listen politely because fuck it she's 93 and she's probably going to pass on sooner than later.

Except vampires don't die of old age.

Never give a vampire a blowjob. You will get ghouled.

I don't imagine you'll wake up next to them at all. Most humans sleep at night and vampires don't. When you wake up, it'll be daytime, and they'll want to be comfortably in their haven.

Spitters are quitters.

Generally, vampires know how to keep with the times. Because if you go around wearing a cape and speaking like Dracula, people will figure you out pretty fast. As far as human races, go, you're a vampire. Kine are kine. Why do you care about their divisions? That's like humans being racist against a certain breed of dog (except dog breeds are about 100x more varied than human races)

Most elders know how to keep up to at least maintain a semblance of "normality" in their current setting, being fundamentally beings inextricably linked to human society for their sustenance.

Also by the time you are an elder you don't really care about different groups of kine, you might be racist as fuck toward another clan, but sheep are sheep to you by that point.

The REALLY ancient motherfuckers who don't even bother to pretend being human any more are so far removed from concepts like discrimination and racism that they probably can't comprehend them anymore. Because to a 10,000 year old Blood God everything is either food or a nuisance

I sort of want to curate a list of 2e merits available for template-less mortals that are printed outside of mortal lines (IE CofD core, hurt locker). It was fairly common in 1e, but as far as I can find, there's only stuff like Sleepwalker and Wolf blooded stuff, IE minor templates. But I feel like I'm just skipping over them or something. Thorough as CofD core is, I can't imagine that none of the other books have snuck anything in.

I won't deny having something of a motive, I specifically chose to play a mortal in a supernatural crossover game. Jesus christ a properly thought out Taste is the greatest of one dot merits. If I'd realised its utility ahead of time, I would have taken Sleight of Hand too, these alone are DRASTICALLY more powerful than their supernatural equivalents. Hurt locker was an excellent resource too, I just don't want to miss anything, since so far I'm staying ahead of the Mage and Beast by the seat of my fucking pants, I want to see how far I can go.

My most immediate risk at the moment is picking up minor templates off of NPCs. I wouldn't mind being stigmatic or a sleepwalker (very unlikely to happen) since the side-effects are minor, albeit it would hurt my pride a little OOC, but being ghouled is looking extraordinarily likely at this point, which is bad since IC I don't know vampires exist despite having just completely fucking ruined a Daeva in a social encounter by accident, and being ghouled would cause me to lose a ton of my current abilities and give me an actual weakness, something that I think a lot of my advantages over my comrades stem from.

Just for the record, every splat has supplement books that says things like this. Vampire had one about trying to feed off Werewolves, and one of the Mage books mentions Changeling magic being a sort of esoteric threat.
All of them mention hunters/Hunters, you know, those sorta plain old boring humans. How could they be threatening? :^)

>try to feed off a fat girl
>fangs can't penetrate deep enough to tap an artery
>tasted of rancid buttery fat comingled with broken blood vessels makes you puke
>twat and pits smell like old garlic
Maybe they're onto something.

There are some such merits in Appendix One of Vampire: the Requiem 2e (though most are for ghouls, some are also or even only for mortals). Most notably, the merit Clear-Sighted makes you immune to Nightmare and Obfuscate.

Ancients are still racist, just nothing resembles the city-state they were born in so it all receives the same level of contempt. Except maybe another vampire from the same time and place but fuck that guy, he knows what he did.

>trying to feed off Werewolves
Doesn't werewolf blood taste like shit according to one of the supplements? I might be confusing oWoD and CofD here, as my memory of it has already faded.

>one of the Mage books mentions Changeling magic being a sort of esoteric threat.
Yeah, the only threat being the lack of information. Nothing more.
Even then there are "Changeling Experts" among the orders dealing with Freeholds and exploring the hedge.

Thanks, clear sighted is a solid option. I'll keep that one in mind. Even the ones related to having a vampire friend are potentially very powerful for the right character.

Actually on another note, has anyone found a 2e equivalent of conviction yet? IE a means of spending more than one willpower per turn. Supernatural tolerance is an alright source of bonus resistance to troll supernaturals with, but by the end of 1e nWoD, there were a couple of ways to stretch beyond 1 willpower per turn, and if ever there was a character I wanted to do that with, this character is high up there given a lot of merits have activation rolls after spending willpower, and thus being unable to spend willpower on those activation rolls is an issue.

So basically edginess, got it

You can be the most powerful splat and an edgelord at the same time, user.

in New World it's supercharged (2.5 vitae per box) and pisses you right the fuck off, but the sensation is super addictive.

So cocaine blood basically.

>Yeah, the only threat being the lack of information.
Everything can be boiled down to this. The thing is, is that not every single one of your characters is going to have interactions with, let alone know about, creatures like the Lost. And it's not like there's a "Lost and You 101" pamphlet circulating around the Consilium.

Mage blood is apparently the most hardcore acid out there, the hallucinations possibly being real.

I wonder what Changeling blood does.

There are experts on the Lost among the Orders.

You got it switched. Mage blood is... regular human blood.

This is how you get STDs user!

No, mage blood canonically does crazy shit to vampires. It's akin to a bad trip.

I need a source on that shit

Might not be the case as of 2e, as we've barely had enough supplements.

in 2e Mage blood was worth the normal amount of Vitae and caused a Derangement for a number of nights equal to the amount of Vitae taken.

They see the symbols of the Supernal yet don't know how to process them, so it's a very scary thing indeed. Like a minimalized version of Prime 4's 'Apocalypse'

The effects of splat blood are all around. The only "official" effects (in terms of canon) would be Werewolves, Mages, Changelings and Prometheans.

Vampfags tend to start the most drama over threats to their perceived superiority and magefags are autistic weirdos...so yeah.

>in 2e
Meant to type 1e

Vampires gain minor Mage Sight when they indulge in wizard's blood.

I was pretty sure it got covered at one point. It's fuggen MDMA blood or something. Primarily incapacitating due to the emotional sensitivity they gain.

I'm pretty sure all the "vampfags" that have been saying archmages can't beat Caine have been shitposters who want to ruin threads.

Well, it IS silly to think that Caine could stand up to something capable of destroying entire universes.

Those "vampfags" are obvious red flags at this point.