Veeky Forums approved book thread? I have a severe case of writer's block and I need some inspiration

Veeky Forums approved book thread? I have a severe case of writer's block and I need some inspiration.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some recent reads for me:
>The Malazan Book of the Fallen
>The House on the Borderlands
>The Court of the Air
TCotA has really good world building

Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear
Anything by Roger Zelazney
The Time Master Trilogy by Louise Cooper
Pulpier stuff includes The Eternal Champion Books bye Michael Moorcock, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber, and the John Carter of Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs
If you can find them (and good luck with that) Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth series is wonderful stuff.

Get out of whatever genre you're writing. Inspiration strikes from weird places. Read a Culture novel, like PLAYER OF GAMES. Read Eco's THE NAME OF THE ROSE. Read Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN, or SOLDIER IN THE MOST. Read a non-fiction history about some culture you're unfamiliar with. Shelton's AS THE ROMANS DID is a brilliant look into ancient Roman life, and it uses tons of translated primary sources. Get out of Europe. Read Zalazny's LORD OF LIGHT. Read Marquez's ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE. Read AMERICAN GODS.

Go to a museum. Watch old films from the criterion collection. The cure to writers block is living life. Go drive until you're lost and then come home by a different path.

Or just stick to military fantasy and read MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN like everyone is about to recommend. Your choice.

> Soldier in the Most

This fucking phone. SOLDIER IN THE MIST.

Try Sword of Truth.
If the book you're writing has any resemblance to it, you're doing something horribly wrong.

>not Soldier in the Moist

Just go through Veeky Forums's fantasy recommendations.

read the zamonia books from walter moers, best start with the 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear.

I know I'm always shilling them when I see Veeky Forums book threads, but these are just so brimming with ideas and inspiration I have a hard time not recommending them.

>Veeky Forums

It's probably not anything like what you're writing, but Discworld is Veeky Forums approved, for the most part.

Discworld is generally assumed approved until stated otherwise

His Dread Empire books were better.

>Take acid
>Read this
>Become A. Floridaman

They were, but nothing makes me want to run a game of mercenary companies and wartime intrigue than Black Company.

the zamonia books are amazing. I didn't know they were translated to english.
Seconding 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear as a good entry level book

Reading the Tiffany Aching books for the first time.

Maybe it's because I'm so chronically lifestyle sleep deprived, but it really seems to be one of the better series of books.
I'm really enjoying the tight focus on character and plot, with at most three concurrent screentime-demanding storylines, and solid folklore basis.

I phrased my post poorly really. There's nothing wrong with Black Company, I didn't mean to imply that.
I'm a huge Glenn Cook fan. But ya, the dread empire are my favorites.
Mainly Reap the East Wind. The story about summoning a minor god has given me many game ideas

I don't know if it's Veeky Forums approved but Lies of Locke Lamora is very charming, just read the first book though.

First Law Series is incredible and if you haven't read it, you are missing out. It features the most interesting cripple in fantasy.

Stromlight archive is a fun read, altho im sure sanderson is problematic for Veeky Forums.

ive never been to Veeky Forums is it as prententious as im guessing it will be?

Do classics count because I would recommend Beowulf if your looking to do a Germanic setting.

>Veeky Forums
>fantasy recommendations

Veeky Forums has a scifi/fantasy thread. Some people shit it up, but there tends to be a decent menagerie of titles recommended.

>menagerie

Veeky Forumsposter detected

The Prince of Nothing trilogy?

The best cure for writer's block is, oddly enough, writing. Just get a blank paper and write whatever pops into your head. It'll probably start with something like "Cripes, I have no idea. How is this crap supposed to help?" From there, just keep writing.

As for books, Asimov is always a hoot. Also: mythology (I prefer Celtic) is often cited as inspiration, and there's a lot to enjoy.

Of course it's approved. Discworld is on the wiki.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature

Most of Veeky Forums looks down on genre fiction and they obsess over THE GREEKS, but /sffg/ is pretty decent. You will find a lot of discussion and recommendations over there. Pic related is their general fantasy list.

Well I guess Florida being a realm that is closer to the Lords of Chaos does make sense.

Prince of Nothing/Aspect-Emperor is really good and I recommend it to people who like Christian-inspired fantasy.

Great Ordeal when?

>Bath salts are alchemist concoctions

Locke Lamora sucks ass

I liked the first book well enough but dont plan on continuing. You want an actual shitty book/series try The Demon Cycle.

Since I've browsed Veeky Forums awhile and like the following books, they are all technically Veeky Forums-related. I'lll only recommend a single book for each of these sub-genres.
>Speculative Fiction
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
>Dystopian Fiction
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
>Space Opera
Sector General (mostly short stories) by James White
>Post-Apocalyptic
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
>Alien Invasion
Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
>Random YA Horror/Sci-Fi by some obscure Australian writer
Swampland Trilogy by S.R. Martin

isn't recommending Veeky Forums enough of a hint?

This. You'll like it. Yw, mister.

i wasn't on board at first, but i liked where the ride was going.

does anybody have a source where i can get these in the kindle .mobi format? preferably for free. i can't afford to be spending hundreds a month on books, especially intangible ones.

read painted devils by robert aickman. or labyrinths by jorge luis borges. or zothique by clark ashton smith.

this post is the absolute truth and has great recommendations to boot.

except american gods. fuck gaiman, he's a twee-lit faggot and his work is unfit to be uttered in the same breath as the likes of wolfe and eco (though I do find eco's postmodern inclinations at times off-putting).

Few of my inspirations came from books. That said, the most inspiring is Invisible Cities of Italo Calvino.

Outside that, go read history.

I enjoy /sffg/ quite a bit. People are just too chicken shit to venture out onto other boards these days.

Good taste user, and good tip for the man.

Veeky Forums has admitted many of those books are troll recs and they haven't updated this stuff in ages. I might actually make a new guide of better books for /sffg/.

I know. I think they actually had an updated rec image but I can't be fucked to find it.

Just throwing out a couple things I've got on my shelf.

>Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
A story about Nigeria before and during British colonialism.

>Red Storm Rising - Clancy
-The- Cold War Gone Hot book.

>various Horatio Hornblower novels - C. S. Forester
The story of our fictional RN officer through the Napoleonic Wars. Classic.

>Flashman series - George MacDonald Fraser
Ciaphus Cain before Ciaphus Cain, but actually an asshole, featuring our intrepid hero's adventures across the globe as he tries to survive his increasing reputation for heroism.

>literally anything by B. A. Botkin
Do you wanna learn about American folklore? He's the guy.

>Mythology - Edith Hamilton
Baby's first book on Greek Myth. Always a good start.

Here.

>Three Hearts and Three Lions
>Amber
You're an alright person and I hope you achieve all your goals in life.

That said, I still think it needs Lord of Light.

Well, that's SF and already included on their SF recs too.

Here's a tangent that is marginally related and probably doesn't need its own thread.

Science fantasy, is it a subgenre of the niche between fantasy and scifi, or is it a supergenre encompassing both? Why has it died and fallen largely out of the public eye?

They're all just subgenres of speculative fiction. And science fantasy hasn't died out, it's just hard to determine what it is.

You can ask 200 people and get 500 definitions of science fantasy

>tfw almost no good Weird West stuff

I like this genre and there's almost nothing good in it

>They're all just subgenres of speculative fiction.
This.

Here's Veeky Forums's general science fiction recs.

Alan Dean Foster, "The Tales of Mad Amos".

Yes, I know you said good, but...

We give Veeky Forums a lot of shit but they still have some of the most comprehensive recs.

This is a good one.

>no Malevil
Why even have post-apocalyptic recommendation, when you don't include the best one?

It's more a case of extreme wasted potential

That's on another image. There's a shitload of them, user. And you can always make your own.

It's a general rec list. Not a hon hon hon wine guzzler wankfest.

Are comics acceptable?

The new stuff by Guy Adams is decent

Comics are cool, user. Share 'em.