Have any of you ever heard of the "Sword and Planet" genre? I didn't know this ever existed...

Have any of you ever heard of the "Sword and Planet" genre? I didn't know this ever existed. It seems cool in a sort of ironic old-fashioned way. Seems ripe for a cool setting.

Can any ancientfags here weigh in on this?

It is indeed cool in a sort of ironic old-fashioned way, and is ripe for a cool setting.

bump

Yeah if only someone could make a post-ironic sword and planet thing, that would be great.

bump again

this

that

It's called Science-Fantasy

Ha ha, point taken.

But Star Wars was, ironically enough, lacking a bit on the "planet" part of sword and planet. Most of the big events took place on spaceships or really boring planets.

>ironic
>ironic
>post-ironic

Every time one of you millennial faggots use the word "ironic" I want to punch you in the fucking mouth. Jesus, could you pathetic fucks be more stupid?

Anyway, getting back to the OP's question, yes, "Sword & Planet", "pulp", and all the rest was what sci-fi used to be before it became infected with clap trap. The original Star Wars movies you excitedly watched in your big boy jammies while playing with Legos and Happy Meal toys were pure "Sword & Planet" stuff. The more recent shit Disney is pumping out is SJW infected and that's why you don't like it as much.

Read Burroughs, Vance, Piper, Harrison, Chalker, Tubbs, etc. to get a feel for the genre. Especially Vance. His "Dying Earth" series seems like fantasy at first until you remember Clarke's Law.

Thanks for the suggestions oldfriend

Ok, listen up you George R. R. R. R. R. Martin looking ash sweatpants, black velcro sandals and white socks wearing fuck. The original Star Wars is a modern take on a dated genre. It isn't remotely the original Sword and Planet material; you're thinking of Flash Gordon and the like, which existed in film serial format starting in the 30s. George Lucas took this awesome, olden timey shit, and applied bare minimum of logic and modern values to it. The idealistic protagonist is obnoxious and whiny. The anti-hero is 99% anti, in a believable and self interested way, and the 1% hero doesn't kick in until the finale. He thinks he's Movie Errol Flynn, but he's actually Real Life Errol Flynn, and the movie shits on him constantly for it to the point of portraying a background apeman who can't make comprehensible words come out of his mouth as smarter and better in every single way. Instead of being useless, the Space Princess in Star Wars is super abrasive, as competent as she can be given her shitty circumstances, and does a substantial amount of the work that the rescue party would traditionally be doing. In short, if Star Wars was made today instead of in the 70s, you'd be complaining about how SJWs ruined your pure Flash Gordon space waifu kidnapping simulator, complaining that White Hero Harrison Ford was cucked by BWC, and how it's not realistic for the hereditary ruler of a peaceful planet with no weapons to be effective at firing a laser gun in a universe where the speed of light is roughly the speed of a kid on a bike, guys, it's just realism, like, I don't believe it, I'm sorry, I was born in the wrong generation Judas Priest not Lady Gaga. Please go back to /pol/ and then get yelled at to go back to arethedonald. Thanks.

I'd love to run a sword and planet type of game, I've seen the old Flash Gordon serials so I know what I am getting into.
The only issue is what system could be good for that

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Lightsabers deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine lightsaber in Japan for 2,400,000 credits (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my lightsaber.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single lightsaber and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Lightsabers are thrice as sharp as bladed swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a blade can cut through, a lightsaber can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a lightsaber could easily bisect a stormtrooper wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why the Empire never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined space-Samurai and their lightsabers of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the lightsabers first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Lightsabers are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Lightsabers:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Lightsabers in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Lightsabers need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

This must be copypasta

This.

You got a problem with enjoying something without irony?

>you millennial faggots

t. guy born in 1989

Pick one you like and roll with it. I like using Hollow Earth Expedition, Basic Role-playing, or Star Wars.

Because the genre is really goofy and silly, sarcastically deconstructing the setting would be funny. That's what we mean by irony

I'm right not building a campaign that's a lovechild of Sword and Planet, Spelljammer, and Cosmic Marvel.

I fucking love this shit.

I keep thinking that one day, somehow, I will find a thread so cancerous, a post so horrible, that it will actually give me the escape velocity to leave this site and never return.
You came so, so, close.
See you next week.

How is Sword and Planet cancerous? Did you mistype faggot?

Also, you're here forever.

It laid the foundation for much of the scifi of today.

I think he's talking about the ironic part in OP's post.

The guy was born in 1961, asshole, but keep projecting.

pumb

Look debates about "those damn kids" and "irony" aside, I don't think the idea will transition well into this medium.

I'd love to watch something like the OP's pic as a new TV show or something only if it took itself (mostly) seriously. That doesn't mean I'd like to play a character in it though.

I heard there were some Barsoom adventures for Pathfinder. Anybody tried them?

Sword and singularity.

The original Sword and Planet was a major influence on D&D.
>not wanting to play as a group of padthans traveling Barsoom encountering strange lost nations and getting caught up in local wars

What if you only use the word "ironic" ironically?

bump

Read the original flash gordon serials.

If you're too poor to buy them, you can find them on libgen

Are they any good without reading them in a, dare I say, 'ironic' fashion?

If you can't enjoy something sincerely you have a problem

Bump

I love this pdf, I try to post it as much as possible

>not getting the irony

So pulp sci-fi then.

that's a jpg

Yes, though the sub-genre where the hero (and sometimes others) tend to only use melee weapons and be more typical fantasy characters rather than scifi ones even if other characters have ray guns and shit.

The Barsoom Series being the obvious example.

It's amazing. Similar to Numenera and other settings I really like. Pure adventure, discovery and fun.

Numenera

This is a reply to your post

Please stop samefagging. It's embarrassing enough that you keep shilling your own half-assed game system by peddling an arguably passable setting.
Have some class.

I like nu men era, a game made by monty cock, known autogynephage