How does your setting handle gladiators and other bloodsports...

how does your setting handle gladiators and other bloodsports? Does everyone flip shit when the imperator/priest-king/president announces the yearly circus maximus events or is it slowly being outlawed by puritans?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=05WLzGHQgZ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's bread and circuses used to kill political and religious dissidents and hide the fact that the Empire is in massive debt and loosing the wars against the Orcs and the barbarians.

>honorabru samurai land
It's their favorite form of entertainment and famous internationally

>kung fu empire
Fun, but ultimately a poor imitation of war

>not!Camelot
Disgusting

>arabian nights
Barbaric, but entertaining.

the idea of a massive japanese style coliseum with asian oni slaves fighting samurai gets my dick hard.
Does your setting's utilize fantasy monsters in the great games? I can see my not india/rome using these wild chickens for smaller games

Boxing is massively popular and fights have recently begun to be broadcast on radio. Current champion is the orcish Grey "Southy" Southland, and there are rumors that he'll soon be challenged by rising star Ratibor Lech, a dark elf with halfling heritage. There's also the elf sport Fola'trod, which is basically fighting to the brink of death in an arena filled with a variety of weapons. Elves can survive thanks to their healing abilities, same ones that get them banned from official boxing matches.

Personally I love gladiator fights so much every campaign I run has at least one show up.

I'd feel bad for forcing my players to fight to the death every time they get captured but fuck it, they can DM if they want.

>Warhammer fantasy set in a Nordland whaling town

Pit fighting is always popular down at Ranalds bones, along with dog, cock and Goat fighting. Being a harbor town, theirs usually plenty of new blood in the form of sailors willing to try their hands at the champ, Drurri Hammarsson of Clan Zimri, even if his boss is pretty cranky that the damned dwarf wont ever take a fall.

Recently a bunch of Norscans rolled up for trade and to ransom captives, and this being just post the storm of chaos theres a bit of tension in the air, so our players, the honorable emergency town guard (after the men where haulled off for an "Emergency Relief" mission in hollowed out Ostland) decided it would be good to get a mini tournament set up.

One of them entered, and being friends with the organiser they rigged it so he would have the easy fights, given that he had only one hand and thus at the bottom of the betting pile. The players put loads of their dosh on him, one old lady digging up her families savings from the turnip patch, so he felt the pressure to win. Apparently too much pressure, because in round two when he was fighting the Captain of the Norscan vessels nephew, the son of the old chieftain (Before he rode out with Archaeon for the glory of the dark gods) he broke the kids arm, and when the kid didnt stop fighting, he struck him in exactly the same place and caused him to bleed out.

Todays session is them dealing with the aftermath of having murdered the favoured son of vikings on crack :3

>kung fu empire not holding lethal martial arts tournaments as part of their civil service exams ranking citizens by physical, mental and martial ability

You had one job.

GOOD PEOPLE OF THE IMPERIAL CITY!

WELCOME... TO THE ARENA!!!

Kiyah is a form of martial arts practiced by women and named after the founder who was a slave a prostitue on board of a ship until she managed to escape in the Asian kitchen sink continent I have yet to name.

It's a form of dance/fighting involving powerful kicks and many women participate in it because it's a good way of earning money but is primarily seen as a sport for lower class women.

In the Empire of Aldari Dueling is not only a way to handle non legal problems but also provides a good source of income to many as professional fighters are hired to duel in place of the participants.

Those that live long enough can earn a lot of money because the duels are observed in sanctioned arenas usually to a crowd with the reason for the duel read aloud and the sponsers seated on either side of the arena for their representative.

Not only do you earn pay from the person who hired you but you can also earn bet money as well as prizes awared by people wowed by your performance.

>literally Wing Chun renamed with the kiai shout of Japanese martial arts

This is physically tiresome.

>Ladies and gentlemen, you do your glorious empire proud to come here today, showing your pride in our country for our monthly war games!
>And now, for your entertainment tonight! All absolutely voluntary, mind you.
>The women and children in the ring? Why yes! Such brave, new blood warriors do the empire proud. To give their young young lives illustrating how powerful our countrymen are even from birth! Surely after their triumphs here they will make unmatched soldiers in our ever growing, righteous army.
>Do not be concerned! Those are tears of fury! Pride for having the opportunity to prove themselves before you today!
>And while these women may seem as humble nuns and handmaids from our rival, heathen nations, remind yourself that it is but costume. Naught more than symbolism. These are seasoned, far more than worthy combatants.
>Any acts of brutality, maiming, dismemberment, sexual violence, and cannibalism they are subjected to in the ring are nothing but part of the performance. Like a jolly play!
>And of corse, who can forget our reigning champions? Men who've dedicated their lives to your entertainment. Trained by our hardiest warriors. And absolutely not peasants in armor promised wealthy lives for their families rather than starving in the streets at the cost of their lives in combat. Any reports claiming otherwise are naught but enemy propaganda. The price for spreading, I'll remind you, being your tongue.
>Now that all that rubbish is out of the way, let the games begin!

It's like a 50/50 thing, I guess.

They use anything they can get; dragons, slaves, huge wolves, griffins, sea serpents, demons. If a sponsor can get one in the arena they can put it in play.

That's a disturbing waste of resources for little to no gain, besides which the only true measure of a warriors skill is war itself. A paltry imitation will tell nothing of worth.

good old lawful good family fun!

So do any of your gladiators get rich and famous, earning their freedom or are they stuck a slave in shitty cages until their fantasy lion food?

>wing chun history
>capoeira mechanics

I dunno, not the worst fantasy martial art reskin I've seen. The name is poorly thought out, for sure

Yes.
No because its the few sports they have.

Not lethal but accident happen

Yes and no. No one chooses to be a gladiator because they're competent with a sword, they usually have no other option or are prisoners for one reason or another. Some might stay alive long enough to become famous for it, but once you're in, there's only two ways out. Die, or be so unkillable and respected that someone slaps a crest on you and tells you "you're in my army now. Do a good job or it's back in the pit". Trading one cage for another, slightly more decorated one.

It's a lawful and public way for guilds, powerful families and nobles to set grievances about money, land etc in the not-Europe and Not-Mena countries, derived from Military duels and street gangs fights.
Blood sports are very common, from cock fighting to monster baiting and fighting, and it goes from totally mindless carnage to very ritualized sports depending of the region.
I just love Gladiators and monster fighting so it's everywhere in my setting.

Arena fights can range from anything as low as slave battles for entertainment to high-born disputes via trial by combat. All fights within the arena are (rules as written) strictly non-lethal, with battles ending at first blood drawn. However, everything else is free game and as such, the less than savoury sorts have taken to dirty tactics; everything from thrown daggers to end fights with little to no danger, to avoideding bladed weapons to increase punishment, to intentionally using non-lethal methods until a killing blow can be delivered. Because of the wording of the Rules of Battle for arena fights, even if it is blatantly obvious, what happens within the arena stays in the arena and therefore can't be trialed for crimes so long as the actions happened between commencement of the fight and first blood drawn.

>Viking knight land
It's a sport like any other

>Mediterrania
It's a sport unlike any other

>Kung Fu Switzerland
Bloodsports are for uncivilized louts who take slaves

>!Russia
Bloodsports are for slaves and poor people

>Poison magic Babylon land
Who fights face to face? Git gud, scrubs

>Jungle Canadaustralia
We die enough as it is, thanks

>Boatland
Pistols at dawn or gtfo

Televised at high speeds with exotic weapons.

youtube.com/watch?v=05WLzGHQgZ8