Never played this, want to try it out for the first time

Never played this, want to try it out for the first time.

Which version should I go with? SNES? GBA? Patched ROM?

I'd like to experience it in a as vanilla as possible way. I'd be playing the SNES version, but I've noticed that a lot of people say that it has some pretty game breaking late-game stuff, and the translation is kinda bad. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Patched GBA Rom with the fixed Damage Percentages, the nude Goddess patch, the torture scene patch, and the Soundtrack overhaul.

FFVI objectively the best game (Objectively here meaning entirely subjective, but I'll argue autistically about it.

Can I find a fully patched rom for download, or should I go after each patch individually?

Romhacking.net will have all the patches you need, and Lunar IPS for the patching. These mods may not all be compatible at once, so you have to apply them, possibly in a specific order, to test it.

How do you confuse Veeky Forums with /vr/?

Play it on the SNES, the GBA version has shittier visuals and audio even with patches. Then try out Brave New World once you're done with vanilla if you want to see gameplay that isn't shit.

Saged for wrong board.

Oh shit, I didn't even realize I was on the wrong board.

Thanks for pointing it out without being a dick about it, truly the greatest board.

Can we keep this as a FFVI Lore thread anyway? It'll be better than most other threads we have on here.

Heath Leadger's Joker > Kefka > Mark Hamill's Joker.

It's not the broken lategame setups that are the problem, it's that the game is balanced to be really easy so that even a novice player will have good and reliable damage dealers like Blitz and Tools break the game long enough that by the time they stop being broken, you've got piles of spells and equipment and stat boosts to break the rest of the game with even if you're not trying to.

Veeky Forums - traditional games

>implying FFVI isn't traditional

that sounds like a lot of bullshit. I already own the PS1 version. How much will I be missing out on?

You'll be missing out on playing the game without loading times and slowdown. Seriously the Playstation ports are bad.

You'll be missing out on not having several seconds of loading time every time you do something.

Even if ran at double speed on a PS2?

I've only ever played them on a PS2, I don't have a PS1. But I have the game for both SNES and Playstation and the Playstation version is pretty much a waste of time. If its all you have, just download a ROM for an emulator.

Perhaps it was just my bad luck but my PS2 typically took a shit when I tried to play PSX games. I had to keep an old PSX around to play them sometimes.

Patched and translated snes-j rom

SNES ROM with a dual shock 3 controller (or Xbox controller) I your best bet. Stay away from the mobile versions at all costs.

>Heath Leadger's Joker > Kefka > Mark Hamill's Joker.

... > Sephiroth

to clarify, by bullshit I mean hassle, not that I actually doubt your claims.