How do all those "hunt monsters, cook their meat...

How do all those "hunt monsters, cook their meat, eat said meat" concepts not get BTFO by the fact that the best-tasting, best-textured meats come from domesticated animals which are bred for the best meats?

The best beefs in the world come from docile cows eugenics'd to have great meat. They don't move around much (despite being allowed to roam freely), so their muscles don't get lean. They're pampered to minimize stress levels, because stress fucks up the taste of meat. And they're slaughtered peacefully, because dying while scared makes the meat taste terrible: motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-animals-that-died-scared-taste-bad

Big predators have lean muscles, and they sure as hell live in stressful environments. Their meat is going to taste like shit, especially if they die scared because some asshole is killing them violently.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2oTSGz34KNg
wagyuinternational.com/marbling.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotomy
youtube.com/watch?v=zPggB4MfPnk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because realism is irrelevant if it gets in the way of fun, you fucking moron.

It's a goddamn fantasy world. Demanding it adheres to real world logic directly to the detriment of the premise is completely ludicrous.

Because it doesn't need to taste good. Hunter-gatherers survived for millenia without domesticated animals.

youtube.com/watch?v=2oTSGz34KNg

Because it's a fantasy world and creator fiat can dictate what tastes the best.

because my shitty animes and mangos don't make any sense and i'm such a weeb dude XD!

You should see someone for your crippling autism. Remember to blink so you can store their face in your short term memory.

WRONG. Dumb cheetos dust tendies eating hot pocket, American. WRONG! You've never tasted game birds or wild deer. Just kill yourself while jacking off to ja/ck/ videos. Kys.

As an American I can rightly say that Wild Deer is quite literally the best meat I've ever had.

Game birds and wild deer are prey animals or low-tier predators at best. They're not, like, rhinos.

>How do all those "hunt monsters, cook their meat, eat said meat" concepts not get BTFO by the fact that the best-tasting, best-textured meats come from domesticated animals which are bred for the best meats?

...but wild animal hunted meat tastes perfectly okay, and in some cases delicious? Like, this is some pretty wellknown stuff, entire restaurants make a living off game meat, so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about?

Because weebs are simple minded creatures and they (or their grazing medium) can only hold one "novel" idea in their head at a time.

Yelling wrong about things I'm right about doesn't change the fact that culinary experts all understand as a basic truth of meat that the best tasting food has been eugenically bred for that purpose

Fucking illiterate Alabaman. Missourian here, have eaten more than my fair share of wild deer (both local small and larger in the plains) and farm raised cattle (real stuff, a little around here and more a little west and south). The farm cattle is decidedly better meat. You may have a taste for deer as a flavor, that doesn't mean it's better. Generally the parts in the venison you don't just grind or make stew meat from are what would be the extremely good parts of beef. Deer is simply going to be tougher as a rule, and the taste is not for everyone.

That said I do love it, and it's very obvious that a monster woukd have ubique flavors of its own. I'd venture that both the danger and mystique surrounding the meat would make the meat prized and may make the meal better on psychology alone (though not necessarily the meat).

wild caribou > wild deer

I don't know if they make it to the burger end of the rockies, though.

I dunno, squirrel meat is pretty amazing in stews.

It's just a pain in the ass chasing them down, because I'm a terrible shot with everything and humans were not meant to catch squirrels with out bare hands.

Look, I get that you're the Imperial Chef, but I'm only going to explain this once so that we are clear. Yes, your fois gras and your Kobe beef are excellent, truly excellent, better than some mangy t-Rex steak, but we have to keep eating it. Why? Because monsters are dangerous and hunting and killing them is expensive and risky. So we, that is to say the upper class, pay handsomely for dragon meat, behemoth burgers, and dire wolf prime rib because adventurers need armor and weapons and potions and all that shit and it's cheaper to reward fortune seeking mercenaries than it is to pay salaries to professionals who will only ever run calculated risks. So the Grand Duke is going to choke down this Manticore filet with a smile even if it is gamer, and any noble who can't afford to serve it is going to be ostracized and mocked for not being fashionable. We will continue to pay vast prices to stock our larders with monster meat because it serves so many functions, and you, sir chef, will have the maid a neak my fois gras up to my study under a platter without any further fuss. Do you understand?

Except that's wrong.

The best tasting meat I've ever had is elk steaks in a cherry glaze though. They sure weren't domesticated when I had to go to northern Saskatchewan to hunt them since we can't import elk meat to the US.

Somethin' dawned on me when I was on my own: any food you make tastes better when you use good ingredients, right? Then, if you take something already delicious like Cup Noodles and add in the finest, freshest ingredients, what do you get? The ultimate flavor experience!

So I ask you, Veeky Forums: what's your favorite ingredient?

Nice try Satan, I'm onto your evil cooking plot to corrupt Mario Vittalli and Gordon Ramsey.

Roleplaying has never been a generally serious or high-effort activity. Most people in the community rip off popular media on some capacity.

Furthermore, not everyone who enjoys things you don't must necessarily be an ignorant idiot who is simply unaware of why he shouldn't. If you were that concerned with realism or verisimilitude, you probably wouldn't have joined a campaign based on dungeon meshi. If someone did, do you think showing them this post would compel them to drop it?

And with your picture you may as well have "my taste is shit" tattooed in your forehead

or you could have gone hunting elk in any of the northern US rocky mountain regions because elk roam thouands of square miles in the US.

Also they've been reintroduced to the appalachians

nice, i can go east now. rockies are getting pretty boring after 22 years.

Truth

I'm still not eating your tail, Tooru.

Fuckin' gourmet cells.

While humane killing is a good thing to use for your domesticated meats, there's just something about wild caught animals that is rather delicious. I mean just look at the delicious meal you can prepare out of some simple treasure bugs. Why let that go to waste?

I miss Toriko

>all these hillbillies who think tough and gamey meat tastes better than some Black Angus or Wagyu

Dragons lay around most of the time, living mostly stress free because they're lazy fat fucks. Their meat may be lean, but if they're especially magical, they may not even realy much on physical strength, meaning less muscles.

Which is exactly why you should try dragon tail steak.

But she went out of her way to de-poison it for you

What? Game meat is amazing, are you high?

How does it not hurt like a bitch to cut off a chunk of your own tail, even if it grows back real fast?

In my experience, it's because hunted meat has had a chance to escape. For me, it's the knowledge that I killed my dinner with smarts and a bow, rather than some overfed livestock led ignorantly to the slaughterhouse. It's kind of a spiritual thing I guess. Well, that and elk makes some damn good sausage.

I'm an adventurer, not some pampered noble cunt. I could by my own castle and an army of servants, but I choose to buy a better sword and sleep in my cloak.

Also, given that these are medieval times, cattle breeding won't have come as far, and meat from wild animals tastes just fine unless you're pampered and decadent, there's no reason not to cook and eat the monsters you slay.

No, but game birbs are better than any birb you'll find in a store. Black bear is p. good, Elk is great, and wild hog is great.

Also snake and squirrel are actually both really good. I've never been to Alaska before, so I never had a chance to try for Caribou, but I hear good things.

The taste is not "better" but deeper, fat and lazy meat has better mouth-feel, more glutinous, more consistent quality so it's easier to reach a good result and flavour pairing each time.

Because the flesh of magical beasts is full of magicalness, which is delicious.

You could also eat the wizard but that would be cannibalism and so I wouldn't recomend it.

Except the superiority of wagyu beef is a result of their genetic isolation and use as work animals and breeding for that purpose. So OP is wrong anyway.

Counter point : wild boar meat is absurdly delicious

Have you never had seal, whale, moose, crocodile or bear?
They are delicious creatures

This trend is from Japan an as we all know: those oriental fellows will eat ANything

>I never ate game: The Post

>It is impossible for people to have different food preferences and find different things tasty
I'm not even American and I fucking hate veal, despite it being supposedly superior meat. The texture is similar to eating jello and it's hard to cook without turning it into mush.
Meanwhile, I love rabbits, even if that's almost nothing but bones and a bit of muscles. Literally best meat ever.
I also love Polish tripe soup, while English needs a loan-word to even describe the thing.

What now? You're going to sue me or something?

But that's exactly what the OP said.

Not the other user, but here is a twist - work animals aren't beed for their meat. They are breed for strong muscles. Which means their meat is full of sinew.
Guess what characterises meat of wild animals, you have three shots

That is a load of horseshit, spoken like someone who has never eaten venison before. Seriously, that shit will melt in your mouth like a piece of chocolate.

Venison is tough and gamy as shit.

Wagyu cattle aren't work animals.

No anymore, but from the start of the breed untill the 1950's they were.

Animal husbandry is a hell of a drug.

You are a terrible cook if you think that's true

>user never ate wild boar
>user never ate horsemeat
>user never ate reindeer
>user never ate european buffalo
>user never ate shark
>user never ate hare

I pity you and your flawed and limited expierience when it comes to food.

Also
>Vice a a legit source of anything

Ah never mind, you are retarded.

They were for centuries. The distribution of high levels of intra-muscular liquid fat for which they are known became a common genetic trait among wagyu populations because it allows muscle tissue easy access to energy in the form of intra-muscular fat that can be easily metabolised during extended periods of intense work. This trait allowed for work animals with very high endurance and long working lives, traits which were selectively bred for by japanese farmers. A nice side effect is that when the eating of beef became popular, they found that they had accidentally bred a breed (well, several) of cow that happened to be very tasty.

These anons know what up. Not sure I would call it the best but its definitely high up there.

Wild boar in mushroomsauce with roasted onions and potatos took the cake for me. Even after 6 years I still remember the taste.

That's literally not how muscles and fat work.

Seconding this.

I had wild boar with some sort of berry jam-sauce about a month ago and it was amazing.

>Venison is tough and gamy as shit.
t. retard who never marinated venison for a day and probably cut it against the fiber

The freshness really counts for a lot. Even if domesticated species have more luxurious flesh, you need to live wherever they kill the animal to eat it fresh, and not to mention that in a fantasy setting, monsters are at the very least going to taste much more NOVEL than any cow.

If you're searching for unusual tastes that push the outer limits of culinary experience, dragon probably tastes a hell of a lot more interesting and less bland than anything that *could* be domesticated.

>YFW dragons have petroleum instead of fat.

Dragons go extinct in the modern era, then.

Probably something a lot more conventionally biocompatible and thus at least potentially edible (Or maybe a poison that you have to cut out mostly but adds to the flavour in extremely trace amounts, like fugu), but that was in fact the sort of thing I was thinking of.

>Wagyu, the traditional cattle of Japan, were draught animals for two thousand years. Those beasts with reserves of energy stored within their muscles were able to work for prolonged periods. Intramuscular fat (IMF) is the source of energy stored within muscles so selection for sustained performance indirectly increased IMF in Wagyu.
>wagyuinternational.com/marbling.php

Its a simplified explanation of course, if you want something a little more scientific, you can read this instead.

Yeah, eating the wizard would put a giant glowing sign on your back for Wendigos saying "OPEN FOR BUSINESS." Nasty business, wendigos.

Because meat of the monster you killed yourself is free meat.

And free meat is best meat.

>implying Satan wasn't shitting himself when seeing Gordon on Kitchen Nightmares, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when he found out Ramsay is actually a really nice guy and he wouldn't have to deal with him.

Love. That's how.

I enjoyed moose the few time's I've had it, though seal may be some of the best meat I've ever had.

Eating stingray wing at the Malaysia/Brunei border is an experience that will forever be with me. God damn that shit was always fresh and tasted so good..

Explain why wild boar taste better than regular pig.

Explain why free roaming chicken (really free roaming on larger area with even hunting bugs and small reptiles) taste better than caged chickens in farms.

I wish we had domesticated snakes or lizards in the past. the taste of wild ones are decent but I'd expect high quality snake meat from the best farms in the world would taste pretty great and different.

I'd imagine snakes would be the chicken of reptiles while komodo dragons would be like cows.

>Alaska

>Wendigo that hunts down powerful magicians because the meat tastes good.

I know what I'm throwing at the party now.

>the best-tasting, best-textured meats come from domesticated animals which are bred for the best meats
>t. millenial tendies&whitebread manbaby who can't handle real taste from wild meat
Muh opinions >>>>> your opinions, faggot

But deer are delicious enough that I am in the process of buying a double wide freezer and a gun for the sole purpose of murdering adorable and majestic animals so I can eat them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotomy

>I'd imagine snakes would be the chicken of reptile
Fair enough.

>komodo dragons would be like cows.
What?

You havent lived until you had a piece of moose tough. Especially the ultra-tender ass. Some of the natives around here who can hunt any time often just shoot them at night and only keep the ass.

Exactly. Besides there's a really unique taste to wild meat that while yes takes some getting used to for some, is really good. Sadly im not as great of a meat cooker as my mother so when i pan-cook pieces she sends me i cant help but feel i fucked em up. maybe i should use that tenderizing powder she gave me...

>Dragon tastes better then cow
Have you ever eaten a dragon to know faggot?

Dafuq you doing eating shark, dude? It tastes like nothing, its all poisonous except for the fins and if you actually fucking ate it then fuck you for helping to continue this cruel tradition that is shark hunting you motherfucker.
Also you dint mention moose.

Toruble with farming snakes is when breeding time comes around. If you don't have them all set into their little clusters beforehand then you're in trouble.

>that tenderizing powder
Wut?
I really honest to God hope that isn't what I think that is. Is it Quicklime?

Probably pineapple enzymes.

Its meat tenderizer powder. apparently you apply to meat and let stand for 30 minutes. ingredients just say its salt, corn starch and papan. Whatever that is.

I remember the elf in dungeon meshi saying that she prefered her life eating domesticated foofs.

Ask Veeky Forums for the cup noodle recipe infograpic.

they are the only big lizards I know. They can't produce milk but maybe their eggs are tasty or something.

Actually user, there is shark meat soup. Yes, ppl do eat the shark other then the fins.

My family used to make those. Heck, going down to the fish market, I come across baby sharks for sale too.

Man this is a lot of effort for a troll.

Either that or you have never eaten Venison and[INSERT ANY OF DOZENS OF WILD GAME THAT ARE DELICIOUS].

Then again I have seen what amerifats call "bacon" so I guess it makes sense.

It's funny you say that, given that the US and Canada have some of the biggest recreational hunting cultures in the west, if not the world, and you can find home made deer sausage and game meat at any farmers market or county fair.

Monsters don't obey biological principles in any other sense, why would they obey them regarding the texture or flavor of their meat? Seriously, you're OK with dragons flying, but not with dragon meat being magically delicious?

You can make Dragon meat taste something like the Galapagos Giant Tortoise, the tastiest animal ever according to Charles Darwin.

youtube.com/watch?v=zPggB4MfPnk

The moose is loose!
Seriously though, I agree moose is pretty great.

They do, but there's only like 50 of them living south of the Canadian border.

>culinary experts
>links vice as a source

Oh (You)