Thoughts on Monero? I just opened up a wallet and am waiting for daemon sync to finish

Thoughts on Monero? I just opened up a wallet and am waiting for daemon sync to finish.

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@Electricsheep56/the-monero-gui-wallet-broken-down-in-plain-english-bd2889b8c202
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7hhgjx/monero_gui_01110_helium_hydra_megathread_download/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KING

Top 5 coin

It takes awhile to sink but its a good wallet.

The coin is a safe haven right now. Its been actively worked on.

Top 5 coin indeed.

God
tier

>5290963

Definitely a buy

OP here: I'm new to this whole cyrpto currency thing and monero is literally the first currecy I started investing in ever since I saw weev's video about it. I do like how I don't need to rely on shady third party services for my wallet. I also like how it's completely anonymous and how it can be mined fairly easily. Are there any disadvantages that monero has compared to other crypto though?

best coin

$1000 a bargain. the best hodl. not good to go all in on if you're trading actively but you should be dollar cost averaging it.

Still cheap. XMR will be worth 10,000 goybucks next year

High fees.

The devs are revving an update to cut them down by nearly 80% soon.

It has an active and healthy dev team.

the fees really are not that bad if you set the priority lvl to low. I think I paid like 90 cents the other day. That said, bullet proofs will be awesome. Hope it will always be affordable to transact on chain relatively cheaply

How are the cloud based wallets that you make on the default app (which is what I did) stored? Is it on some centralized server that could be shoahed?

Have a look at opening a Monero wallet on Bittrex too. I have that with Monero (bought loads when it was going cheaply) in it because it took forever for the Monero app to finish syncing. I mine it through the app and MinerGate but MinerGate takes forever. What I mine through MinerGate gets sent to my Bittrex (Monero/XMR) wallet.

it's not the fees, it's the transaction that are too fat, due to the privacy black magic, the price per kb is like eth.
That's why the patch that will reduce the tx will reduce the price of the fee

Didn’t know that

I don't think you get the good wallet
medium.com/@Electricsheep56/the-monero-gui-wallet-broken-down-in-plain-english-bd2889b8c202

>Daemon address: A daemon is simply a program that runs as a background process. The process your GUI will start running once you click the ‘use monero’ button will be to
download the Monero blockchain which is currently around 34.66 GB and can take up to 48 hours to fully download—you will not be able to use your wallet until this is complete.
There are ways around this however which we will get into later in this guide. Having the blockchain fully downloaded using this method is known as running a full node. Operating
a full node is more secure and helps decentralize the network—you are technically a record keeper for the Monero community!

>Daemon address: This is your daemon address which specifies if you want to run a full node (localhost:18081) or connect to a remote node which means using someone else
copy of the blockchain to verify transactions. Remote nodes can be found here, I have also specified the main nodes used below. I recommend not using a remote node as it
impacts your privacy but it can be handy if you need instant access to a wallet.

>node.moneroworld.com at port 18089

>node.xmrbackb.one at port 18081

>node.xmr.be at port 18081

>node.viaxmr.com at port 18081

NO MAN DONT BUY THIS SHITCOIN

ITS SHIT

WILL NEVER BE LISTED ON COINBASE

WILL NEVER MOON

IT WILL BE DUMPED TOMORROW MY DAD WORKS AT NINTENDO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Wait a second, if I want to send monero to my wallet would I have to have my computer always on??

no, a blockchain is a transaction history book synced via P2P network, when you send something to an adress, you just ask for the transaction to be put on the blockain on the next block.

wallets are just blockchain downloader/viewer

Monero vs Bitcoin Cash?

Will I have to worry about this blockchain that I download onto my computer getting any larger than it already is? Sorry for the retarded questions but I am a MASSIVE newfag to this shit.

Nigga
Who is roger ver?

you can, for now it's 34gb, monero was created in 2014

the bitcoin blockchain, wichi is older, is around 250gb

so why does the monero client keep making my wifi disconnect

here is the wallet megathread :
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7hhgjx/monero_gui_01110_helium_hydra_megathread_download/

you should ask for your problem with more details, peoples here are more expert than on a trader board

damn, is there any way I can keep my current wallet without having to locally download the block-chain or will I have to delete (close) this wallet and start a web based one on some third party service?

You can manually set the block you wish to start from, you don't have to sync from the first ever block if you've only just started using it. Put at block 1,430,000 or something. It'll skip 99% of the blocks and only download the blocks from the last week or so.

you can set up your current wallet for a remote node and delete your blockchain
on windows it's here : C:\ProgramData\bitmonero\lmdb
on linux it's here : ~/.bitmonero

My only regret is that I can't mine fast enough. also that I didn't buy in harder and earlier, but that's an always thing.

And?

>on windows it's here
Hope to god you're not holding your crypto on a windows machine...

What could possibly go wrong user? I have Norton platinum protection thanks.

good coin, you'll be hodling 2-3 years for what you can get from Verge.

If you love the tech monero, go for it. That shit isn't even used on the darkweb. Sorry boys they picked BCH over monero.

If you love money and a coin with potential for public adaptation; verge.

>shilling verge and BCH over XMR
wow some people just get everything wrong

lol wish i had known that spent a full day waiting on the slow ass 36 gb download

the true bitcoin but only smart people would understand at this point imho

Guys, i can get myself around 10 high-end GPU's 30% cheaper than usual (good friend works in big computer store).

With current XMR price i will get around 35-40$ a day from them. With around 6000$ of investments.

Do you think it's worth a try? It's not to late to start mining?

>Sorry boys they picked BCH over monero.
t. guy whos never used the darkweb

dream, which is notoriously shady in the first place, just recently started to accept BCH, every other market in existence uses BTC and alphabay used XMR, too, before the feds raided it.

You’ll take half a year to break even. Just buy the coin.

It really is the KING of crypto. Comfy af with my 100 Moneroj.

The price is low today because:
1. No hardware wallet support
2. Large tx
3. No multisig

All of these will be fixed in the first half of 2018.
1. Ledger will support Monero before EOY, confirmed by dev.
2. Bulletproofs will go live March/April, cutting the tx by 80%
3. Multisig is released by next week, doesnt even require a HF, just an upgrade of the wallet.

>That shit isn't even used on the darkweb. Sorry boys they picked BCH over monero.

Gee, I wonder who could be behind these dark web marketplaces?

>Monero will eat Bitcoin's lunch

Holy fuck, you Verge shills are so desperate and shameless now you guys are just making shit up.

I guess if you have to shill complete garbage there's no reason to let actual facts get in the way