Started reading up the new schlock mercenary rpg, and they have an interesting take on initiative...

Started reading up the new schlock mercenary rpg, and they have an interesting take on initiative. Thought I'd get Veeky Forumss reaction to it.

Its called Speak First, Go First, and it's exactly what it says on the tin. Going first in combat is player initiative rather than character, and if everyone delays the opponents go first. Enemies react to combat whenever it makes sense for them to do so, and time only pauses if someone has a needs time to explain their action.

Any other games in particular do you think would work well with this method?

None of them. As a GM I don't need a table of people screeching at me trying to be "first", especially when some of the characters in the game should be much faster than others. Would it make sense for someone playing The Flash in a supers game to go second to The Hulk because The Hulk's player is more aggressive?

This sounds like a system that exists more to be different and to look neat in the rulebook than to actually be played.

Well I imagine it works less well in that case, but most other genres don't have speeds as disproportionate as the hulk and the flash. Also, if everyone is just screeching to go first they probably aren't prone to the kind of teamwork this method works better with.

This game is sci-fi pulp, by the way.

I don't think anyone is suggesting is the divine immaculate mechanic to be used in any and every system.

It's also worth noting that schlock is about semi-trained quasi-professionals hurting people and breaking things for a living and a comedy spin; narratively, having to deal with the results of the hair-trigger retard who talks/shoots faster than he thinks is entirely appropriate.

Speaking of narrative, turns out movement speed is narrative based. The game master determines what they can reasonably do, or whether they need an athletics check to pull it off.

I'm just reading through this the first time, myself.

Seems like an odd thing to say. Doing something different hardly discounts the rest of the game. Or are you just assuming it's some variant of a heartbreaker?

well it avoids the "I shoot him", "Ok, roll for initiative" situation

Which isn't really an issue.
Either you've already got your gun aimed and ready to fire in which case you've clearly already started a fight and should be in combat rules, or you have to draw and aim in which case the other guy might beat you to the punch.

This particular system gives you two actions per turn, so draw and fire can be done together.

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about any system in particular, I'm arguing that the situation outlined isn't a problem.
If you're not 100% ready to shoot at that instant, you're not guaranteed to get off the first shot. The other guy may be faster.
And if you've already got the other guy at (gun/bow/laser/spinal mount)-point, either he's not resisting or you're fighting him. If he's not resisting, no rolls should be needed. If he's fighting, then you should have already rolled initiative.

The aggressor would still usually get a surprise round or a bonus or something for an unexpected attack.

Assuming it was unexpected, yes.
If they're expecting you to shoot at them, then they're sure as hell not surprised.

Seems someone might think faster than they talk, guess they can raise their hand or something?

fucking this.

So you're playing Bullshit except instead of slapping the table it's "I slash down with my saber"

>well it avoids the "I shoot him", "Ok, roll for initiative" situation
I hope I never have to share a table with you.

It's a little different when the idea is to be cooperative.

PbtA games use a system like this.

I need that rug.

It apparently worked out well in playtests. Maybe you need better players who don't do autistic screeching?

How else could The Flash ever lose? I'm not really into the genre but it seems like all of his problems come from being highly inconsistent about his speed and reaction time.