The noblewoman the king married is actually a shapeshifting fox spirit

>the noblewoman the king married is actually a shapeshifting fox spirit

>and the half dozen kids they've already had are also shapeshifting fox spirits, they just don't know yet

What happens when this is revealed?

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.issendai.com/fox-index.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The queen is held up as an amazing example for other fox spirits in the kingdom. The traditional stereotype is that fox spirits make for deadbeat mothers, abandoning the father and child soon after they give birth to return to the wilderness. But this one stuck it out and has raised six wonderful children. There's a lot today's young fox maidens can learn from her.

>What happens
Absolutely fucking nothing.
>when this is revealed?
Revealed to who? If general public, then the foxslut is disowned, while her bastards are either culled, or raised as nobility, depending on the common religion, royal ancestry, the laws of succession etc.
Otherwise, if it's revealed privately, then absolutely fucking nothing happens.

Religious peasantry and a lotta pitchforks. The rest is self explanatory.

Well the Law of Animal Wives dictates she turns back into a fox and runs away and the king never sees her again. The only question is whether she takes the kids with her. I expect she'd leave a few behind so they can uncover the mystery of their heritage in the next act.

My character has no loyalty to any king and just kind of ignores it unless maybe something bad happens like they're evil and someone pays him to take them out.

Royal bastards with indeterminate magic powers aren't likely to be killed offhand. Get a legitimate heir posthaste and raise them to be best friends.

The queen is found dead the following morning, having apparently killed all her children and then herself. The noble family to which she belongs is discovered to be a group of heretical fey-worshipers, and are all put to the sword, their lands reclaimed by the crown.

Incidentally, the church of the Goddess of Secrets adds three new wings to their local temple over the next few months.

My players quit the game

I punch the GM.

Probably a civil war, no matter which side of the matter the king is on.

>the king the noblewoman married is actually sterile

>bastards

But they're legitimately the king's children, aren't they?

Only if the king claims them as his.

>Letting royal bastards live
>Then hoping them and your heir get along

The throne should never be in question and more likely those bastards will feel cheated and undermine your heir. You put them to the sword for their family's treachery and establish a clear line of succession.

Is the fox spirit a noble fox spirit or a peasant fox spirit? What's the general view on fox spirits? Are marriages between man and fox spirit considered valid in the eyes of the church? Can half fox spirit children inherit? Does an alliance of marriage with the fox spirits benefit the kingdom?

Just tell me what knowledge check I should roll already, GM!?!

Well, let's go down the list.

>Anandriel
>Birah
>Boru
>The Elu Islands
>most of Helt
>Lochria
>Sindra
>Temphis
>Yem
Not ruled by Kings, and so this couldn't have happened there.

>Celar
It'd raise some eyebrows, but odds are no one would care that much as long as she's a good Celari wife.

>Dreed
It's questionable if anyone outside of the castle would even notice; King Timberfell is a figurehead, and barely that.

>the bits of Helt that have local Kings
In fox lands, the reveal would be either underwhelming or the romcom of the season. Elsewhere, it'd go down as one of the most elaborate pranks in history.

>Koval
Everyone in the palace walks on eggshells for a while, as they try to figure out if the hramath should be banished or embraced. Which one winds up happening is basically a coinflip.

>Laöch
The King likely tells her to keep it under her damn beard, and rumors don't get out about it. The fox-ness is bred out of the line in a couple generations anyway.

>Orgalt
Executions for everybody!

>Rinden
There'd be controversy, debates, and duels over the matter. So, business as usual.

>Winnow
It's probably enough to finally push the kingdom into the civil war that's been brewing for over a decade.

Only the best bit of L5R background lore ever!

>king looks at the fox-ears on his child
>turns to the "queen" and asks, "...Wife? Did you kill my beloved?"

Why didn't she tell him that?

If it was like Wolf Children it would be cute.

How can the children be shapeshifting fox spirits without knowing it?

Their true forms are foxes. Did they shapeshift into human disguises in the womb?

No, no, no. Clearly their default form is (mostly) Human, but they are Half-Fox people. They can change into Foxes by default without training, obviously.

Well the L5R reference would be Isawa Kaede, greatest Void Shugenja ever (later empress, I think). Her mother's wedding party was ambushed on its way to the husband's household- but fortunately she was rescued! Really!

Then some time later daddy is looking at the baby in the cradle, and the story they put out was "death by complications of childbirth", after a bad-ass line.

Well, in the end they got a really powerful sorceress out of it.

That wasn't a fox-spirit, that was The Lying Darkness, the sapient manifestation of the Void.

Royal family gets lynched by an overzealous mob, another claimant of the throne rises to power soon after, this might involve a civil war.

>ancestral cult : defiled
>social relations : no more
>Empire : gone

Time to get the fuck out.

Reminds me of the time my guy ended up with a lich, and the kids were actually bundles of sticks in clothes. She'd be magically tricking him the whole time.

>Heterosexual male fantasy
Honey it's not just a hetero fantasy

You go by the actual myths about this, the king's children grow up to be incredibly gifted individuals - long lives, very strong, magically capable (if setting has it, which if it has kitsune/gumiho it probably has magical humans)

Maybe the queen is run off, maybe not, it depends on how the fox spirits are viewed on in society and the circumstances of how it was revealed

>Is the fox spirit a noble fox spirit or a peasant fox spirit?
What if she's both?

>Reminds me of the time my guy ended up with a lich, and the kids were actually bundles of sticks in clothes

Schmeiß mir die Fetzenkinder nicht weg.

OP, I think this all hinges around whether or not she's still a noble. If that fox spirit is also a legit noble with all the power and influence that implies, the kingdom is going to operate like it's business as usual, whatever might be said behind closed doors.

Besides, no one can resist the chance to touch fluffy tail.

Why should she be disowned? If the king married her and says she's still the queen, then she's the queen. The royal bloodline just became stronger, not weaker.

This

There's no worse disappointment for a parent than realizing all your offspring are a bunch of faggots.

Why wouldn't she be?

But if we're going by OP, they are his legitimate children. They were born under a marital union, hence the stain of bastardy is non existent.

>noblewoman poofs into fox spirit form
>produces top hat, takes a bow
>"Tamaaaaaaaaa~"
>laugh track, fade to credits

Exactly. queens don't exactly pop out of the woodwork, no matter what the fairy tales say. She had to have been checked and tested by all sorts of people who'd rather have their candidate become queen, and come out ahead.

And while we're at it... a lot of kingdoms are brought down because the king doesn't have any heirs, and it falls into a mess of backstabbing uncles who all have equally dubious claims to the throne, and she's got six and counting.

Combined with and I think that the future of the kingdom is bright!

That's some next level rusing.

But what if she replaced an existing noblewoman?

She actually wasn't doing it to be malicious, just to keep up the illusion. She definitely felt bad after the truth came out.

>the virgin slut
What in God's name is this abomination?

>Once upon a time, there lived a man named Ono. He fell in love with a very beautiful lady he met at a vast moor, and soon they became lovers. He married her a year later, and they lived a happy life.

>Years later, his beautiful wife gave birth to their son, simultaneously, their dog also gave birth to a pup.

>As the pup grew up, it always barked and growled at Ono's wife. She always avoided the pup (now a dog), and became very tensed when it's around.

>One day, it suddenly attacked her violently. She ran and ran and when she got cornered, she had no choice, but to reveal her true form, which was a fox-like creature, in an attempt to scare to dog away.

>When she saw that her husband saw her transform, she panicked and leaped over the fence and tried to flee. As she was escaping, Ono called out to her,

>"You might be a fox, but I still love you! My heart will always be yours. I still want you to stay with me forever. Whenever you want to come back home, your will always be welcome."

>That night, and every night after that, she came home to her husband and child. She slept in his arms, and they continued to live happily ever after.

From that day onward, the fox was called "kitsune",

because kitsu-ne means "come and sleep", and ki-tsune means "always"

Technically it could work out, as long as you can keep politically ambitious mothers out of the equation. For example, the terrible tale of Concubine Qi.

>Emperor Gaozu has a wife, Lu Zhi and some concubines
>One concubine is named Qi, and the Emperor really likes her
>Lu Zhi worries that Qi's son might be put on the throne instead of her own kid
>Pulls some political maneuvering to get her son support, Emperor is impressed and names her kid the next emperor
>Emperor dies, Lu Zhi is regent until her son comes of age in a couple years
>Treats most of the concubines nice but super hates Qi and her son
>The young Emperor Hui takes his half-brother, Liu Ruyi into his constant protection

There we are, the heir and bastard getting along, heir is even trying to protect the bastard

>Lu Zhi waits months until Liu Ruyi fails to accompany Hui on a hunting trip, has him force fed poisoned wine
>Summons Qi and has her tortured and mutilated
>Keeps the blind, limbless voiceless Qi as a human urinal for two days before revealing her to Emperor Hui
>Hui proclaims his mother a demon, forsakes all duties as Emperor and spends the rest of his life drunk with concubines trying to forget

I mean damn, the kids could actually have gotten along if not for bullshit from the bitchy mom.

Underrated.

>Worried her son might not get on the throne
>Her son gets on the throne
>I can only presume she was worried the other boy might be a threat who might want to take over
>Her son makes the would-be usurper loyal to him

What excuse did the psycho bitch have at that point?

>psycho bitch
Jealousy is a hell of a drug.

Tell me more about your setting.

Emperor Hui had her killed at least, right?

>see image
>immediately think "Didn't they just make a new pathfinder thread?"

>What excuse did the psycho bitch have at that point?

The thing about harem-politics is that you start to get the idea of "oh, I see, it's about advancing their offspring.". But ultimately it really isn't.

pls no bully /pfg/

Imagine a woman you want to have sex with, but you don't want to share with other men. Imagine actually wanting to be her exclusive lover, her first and her last while you are her first and her last as well.

50 years ago you'd be normal, today you're a freak who suffers from a Madonna-whore "complex" (because as we all know the biologically sound desire to not be cucked is a psychological disorder but believing that chopping your own dick off makes you a girl isn't).

That is literally the only thing /pfg/ is good for.

Not mine, it's a published setting. Uresia: Grave of Heaven.

>In an age before history, the gods ruled the heavens and man ruled the world. Everyone had their place, everyone stayed busy, and it was good. Or, as good as things tend to be.

>But the gods grew numerous, fractious, and vain. Bored with their celestial realms, they came to the mortal lands to walk among men, dictate their lives, indulge in the affections of their worshipers, and squabble. The squabbles of gods became a war of gods, and men were as ants, to be trampled underfoot.

>In time, the wars reached such a pitch that there'd be no peace until the gods destroyed everything. Even the heavens. Even themselves.

>Hymns and legends tell that the final battle began with a great and sudden silence, as the gods abandoned their meddling to ascend, one last time, to take sides. For a few hours, there was gentle rain and distant thunder. Men held their breath, eyes skyward.

>Night fell. The rains stopped, and the clouds parted.

>The starts twinkled, quietly. No gods appeared to gloat. No gods appeared to fight. No gods appeared at all.

>And in that final, elated moment, men cheered, believing they were free ... believing peace had come. They were right. But not in any way they'd enjoy.

>The stars rippled, space ruptured, and there was a hideous, swollen light. Balls of fire tumbled forth - vast globes of destructive brilliance.

>Heaven had died, and the sky fell.

>The balls of fire were the remains ... the broken, incandescent realms of gods and devils and more. Mighty halls fell; howling pits fell; impossible cities fell; the dark realm of death fell; the holy forest fell. They struck the lands of men, plunging the world into boiling ocean foam.

>On a broken ring of islands - remnants scorched by lava and washed clean by storms - a few living things held on. In the center of that ring, at the heart of destruction, the fiery wreckage of heaven boiled, churned, and cooled into green and inviting lands: new islands in a new sea. Men called these isles Uresia: grave of the gods.

>That was a long time ago.

gb2pol

I actually really like this.

It makes sense with them and I prefer my fox waifus on the shittier side of humanity.

>What happens when this is revealed?
depends on the kingdom
a kingdom which is open towards other races
no problem afterll
a kingdom who see other races as inferior
well, let the revolution begin

>50 years ago you'd be normal, today you're a freak who suffers from a Madonna-whore "complex" (because as we all know the biologically sound desire to not be cucked is a psychological disorder but believing that chopping your own dick off makes you a girl isn't).
No, wanting that just means you don't have a lot of experience and don't feel comfortable with a disparity of sexual experience between you and your partner.

That's only being a freak if you decide to have an autistic bitchfit any time someone wants to not have the same worldview as you, the worldview itself is entirely irrelevant as long as it doesn't involve directly harming other people.

Nothing he said was wrong.

>That's only being a freak if you decide to have an autistic bitchfit any time someone wants to not have the same worldview as you
My neighbor being a buddhist doesn't result in me investing my resources in another man's children, isn't an indication that my neighbor could become any less loyal in the future and if my neighbor moves he's not taking half my shit with him. That's why I don't care whether I have a buddhist neighbor or not. Hell, I might even learn something new about a religion I barely understand.

Tamaro a best.

You do know a woman can have sexual partners before she met you, get into a relationship with you and not cheat on you, right? Or that one who's had nobody else before you might still do so, right?

I'm gonna hope this is a troll.

gb2pol

Increased notch count in women quantifiably reduces pair bonding ability; but why let science get in the way of neoliberal propaganda?

>correlation is now causation
When you prove that science I'll still be fucking my wife, enjoy your hand.

Literally what is wrong with wanting a monogamous relationship, you child

I mean, my last cleric became king and married a paladin fox woman, and presumably had a handful of half-kitsune children.

It's already a society that is okay with a fox woman serving in a high position in the Church, so probably not much? They might think it odd, considering the kingdom is mostly human, and may be used to more human rulers, but it's not like they're going to rebel just because the royal line is full of foxes now.

Granted there's probably a difference between a fox spirit and a race of fox people, but still.

>not marrying spirits to empower your line
[laughing King Ormel]

Is this the actual story? Looks too good to be true and a bit adorable from what's based on all the "demon myths".

who cares? Can I marry one of his daughters? If not, it really just isn't my problem.

>by yelling >correlation is now causation he denies both while being happy with used goods wife who probably has 3 backup men.
Laughing at your existence.

MUH CUMMIES, GIVE ME CUMMIES
stop being a virgin, user, lmao doesn't matter i eat creampies of 15 different men out of my wife's vagina, that makes me really manly and secure, since over a dozen men dumped her and i took her in because that's how alpha I am.

Not them, I don't know about that last part, I have done personal research attempting to find the origin of the name of 'Kitsune' and found varying sources (I suspect a knowledge of jap would be needed to really investigate this kind of shit) but that is a legit and well known kitsune myth and one of the earlier ones I'm pretty sure. Kitsunes were always waifus. Kumiho/Gumiho are the ones that are fucked up monsters, but those are korean.

Though 'fox spirit' refers to several different things that are not all Kitsunes and the distinction can be blurry. Tamomo no Mae is a japanese fox spirit who lived in china and is way more like the Kumiho/Gumiho and like Josef Mengele-tier of fucked up if you look into her.

If you want to actually know this kind of stuff, you would probably have to ask a japanese person who has researched this stuff. Everything we get is second hand and mythology by default is already really... nebulous and hard to sort through. There's no like bible for japanese mythology.

Nothing? And nobody said there was anything wrong with it. It's literally the standard that modern society wants out of a serious relationship.

The fact you have some kind of delusional victim complex about it means you should really be going back to /pol/.

A Berkshire Hunt

I know Kitsune refers to the Japanese variants and Kumiho/Gumiho are from Korea, but does China have its own name for a fox spirit like that?

>neoliberal propaganda
I don't see what deregulation, free trade, and reductions in government spending have to do with women being sluts or not.

In my setting? HAHAHAHA, jokes on you. The King married a normal human and most of their kids died before adult hood with only one surviving prince and one princess (who they are in the middle of trying to figure out who to action off to) But had he married a fox spirit? Odds are the local Paladins finally snap, storm the castle. behead the kids and the mother and dethrone the king for betraying humanity. After that full scale war breaks out with no clear line of succession anymore. The church tries to maintain order but once non human races start pressing into human held lands all bets are off and the strongest nobleman comes out on top to lead humanity into the fires of war

Womens' lib doesn't significantly increase GDP. It does make labor more fungible, which has been a capitalist dream theme since the robber barons.

>Marrying foxes when you could marry qt wolves
that king had shit taste

I was just shitposting, but it makes sense.

Increase the labor pool, decrease the wages you have to pay because workers become more expendable. Add the downfall of unions around the same time as women's participation in the work force, and you've got a recipe for for stagnant wages, and simultaneously have neoliberal cocks harder than diamonds.

Well it depends on whether you can legally marry an animal in this kingdom. Probably it hasn't come up before, so maybe he gets dispensation from whatever religious authority and life goes on, but an annullment is equally likely if there are factions with an interest in pushing foxqueen out.

back in the day there were versions of feminism that didn't see expanding the labor force as the ultimate liberation, but obviously things like the wages for housework movement are less appealing to your average capitalist hegemon

Listen, I don't kinkshame.

Whatever that monarch and his fraudulent wife get up to is none of my business as an adventurer. And if it leads to some longer lived than human heirs, it can only lead to less strife for the country in the long run.

Because they were *in* the labor force, doing 12-hour days like everyone else. What happened is feminism became an upper middle class/aspires to be upper middle class status marker thing, and started to embody the issues, concerns, (pathologies), (inanities) of the same.

>Is the fox spirit a noble fox spirit or a peasant fox spirit?
Questioning the nobility of the woman who is already married to the king sounds like a fast way to get very familiar with a noose.

>Is this the actual story? Looks too good to be true and a bit adorable from what's based on all the "demon myths".
>If you want to actually know this kind of stuff, you would probably have to ask a japanese person who has researched this stuff. Everything we get is second hand and mythology by default is already really... nebulous and hard to sort through. There's no like bible for japanese mythology.

This is your boy and I am here with the good shit:

academia.issendai.com/fox-index.shtml

I have only one prescription: Proscription

>I know Kitsune refers to the Japanese variants and Kumiho/Gumiho are from Korea, but does China have its own name for a fox spirit like that?
A Hu is a Chinese fox and a Huli Jing is a Chinese fox spirit.

Stories of Chinese fox spirits tend to more closely resemble Korean stories (or, perhaps more correctly, Korean stories more closely resemble the Chinese).

BURN THE DEMON AND IT'S SPAWN!

Chinese fox spirits run the full range. Some are alright. Others are, well, suffice to say that the Nine-Tailed Fox exceeded her orders.

>That's only being a freak if you decide to have an autistic bitchfit any time someone wants to not have the same worldview as you

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Fuck off with this magical realm garbage.

Let's take it a step further. They aren't revealed, and one of the fox-spirit/hybrid children eventually inherits the throne.

NOW what?

something something sorcerers start appearing in the royal bloodline.