Ways to cheese a Tarrasque. In. 5E?

Ways to cheese a Tarrasque. In. 5E?

Other urls found in this thread:

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tarrasque#content
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>DDR
Oh c'mon, she's not that old. Or is she?

>Group of fighters built for ranged combat
>Near max level so should have at least three attacks if not four
>Magic carpets or other flying items that keep you out of reach
>Kite and whittle it down
>Action surge from each will help deal a decent chunk of damage from the get go

This is assuming 5e

You can do it with a bunch of lvl1 nobodies on a horses, really.

Proof?

As long you move faster than the tarrasque it checks out.

Man 5e Tarrasque is kind of a bitch nigga. All you need to do is be able to damage it and be able to fly.

tarrasques Immune to none magical piercing attacks.

so you're gonna be spending far more magic arrows than your average character can afford

Magic bows fix that problem, since all arrows shot by them are magical.

Acid splash

Easy

Needs to be on a javelin launched by peasant railgun, for maximum cheese.

I think the problem is that it would suck all matter within a 10-foot radius into the point of impact. The problem is that when all that matter has been absorbed, the next radial 10 feet of matter is sucked into the 10-foot radius of the point of impact and that is sucked in, continuing until the entire material univers has been sucked in. You pretty much get the mother of all black holes.

>bow
>lots of arrows
>ability to cast Magic Weapon
>ability to cast Phantom Steed

5th level wizard on a horse. I had this shit down when 5e first came out.

Not that user, but explain? The rift to the Astral plane doesn't stay open (I think), but even assuming it does I don't see how the range of its pull would extend past 10ft when the rule doesn't say it does.

>The rift to the Astral plane doesn't stay open (I think)
If that's the case, then there's no problem.

>but even assuming it does I don't see how the range of its pull would extend past 10ft when the rule doesn't say it does.
I probably extrapolated it but allow me to draw the situation out. Assume that "o" is the rift, "x" is the matter within 10 feet and "y" is the matter within twenty feet. I'm also going to draw only the horizontal axis (because Veeky Forums posting limitations).

You start out as follows:
y x o x y

After the two "x"s (ie. all matter within 10 feet is absorbed) you end up with the following:
y o y

In other words, due to all matter within 10 feet being sucked in, the matter in the next 10 feet is moved closer (ie. within 'sucking' range).

I may have made some wrong assumptions here, but if I'm right than the only limit on how much matter is sucked up depends on how long the rift remains opened.

>there were no kids in DDR
???

>He has never played Red Alert 2
>He doesn't know about the Soviet cloning facilities
>He doesn't know that Angela Merkel is the back-up clone of a Russian secret agent
>He doesn't know she's still operating on "bring the West to its knees through cultural subversion" mode

Cheddar

Slings

I see what you mean, now. If the rift stays open, and mechanically destroys all matter in a ten foot radius every round, then the surrounding matter will rush to fill that empty space and get promptly destroyed again. I think there's still a couple things that would get in the way of your Astral Black Hole theory, assuming the rift does stay open indefinitely.

First, it's more likely that only air/gasses will rush to fill the empty space created by the astral rift rather than any old matter, just like it does when a regular vacuum is created. This is still a danger to the atmosphere since it can theoretically drain an entire planet given time (assuming the planet has a limited air supply and isn't being supplied by the infinite Plane of Air), but it won't go eating a planet let alone the universe.

Second, in regards to the above comment, air is weird in DnD; it isn't listed or treated like an object or material, specifically in regards to magical effects such as ray spells that "continue until they hit an object" or "target an object" like Disintegrate. As far as most rules are concerned, air is like an overlying ethereal blanket on the world that people need to survive, and can be pushed around by specific spells like Control Wind or Gust of Wind but otherwise isn't counted as an object. So depending on the GM, the rift may not interact with air at all since it isn't considered 'matter' as far as the rules are concerned.

(Continued in next post)

Finally, and this isn't a problem with your theory so much as clearing up a misconception, the description of the Arrowhead of Total Destruction that posted is incorrect. The astral rift created by putting a Portable Hole into a Bag of Holding does not destroy just any matter around it, nor does it suck just any matter into the Astral Plane. To quote the description of the effect taken from DnD 3.5's online SRD:
"If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process."
The rift itself specifically targets creatures and tosses them into the Astral Plane; it doesn't destroy matter nor kill anybody, and the Astral Plane itself is very hospitable (eating, breathing, and aging simply don't happen) so this is actually a very inefficient means of killing anyone. In terms of dealing with a Tarrasque this is more like outsourcing the problem to whomever is living on the Astral Plane than actually dealing with it, but it gets the job done well enough.

I see, thanks for your explanation. Especially the second post was illuminating. I misunderstood it as the matter being destroyed, rather than it being "teleported" to the Astral Plan by some kind of "gate".

Daily reminder that a few hundred peasants can kill almost anything in 5e with some arrows immediately, and if you can manage to scrounge up enough magic bows or arrows, this can be extended to everything else

To be fair, a few hundred peasants with bows and arrows should be able to kill almost anything; that is sort of the point of armies.

>Peasant bowmen hate her!
>Drive the English from the continent with these 5 saintly tips!

>flying carpets
Squadala, fuck off!

The hard part is dealing with the massive astral behemoth population you created when you sent a source of self-replicating food into their territory.

5e tarrasque doesn't have dat regen tbqhfamiglia

No, it doesn't. Read the ruling; it basically just throws open a temporary rift that fucks over anything too close.

Your horse is faster than 200 feet per round?

Well, let's see what it can do:

>Immune to nonmagical weapons, fire, and poison
>an AC high enough that most people can only hit it on a crit
>theoretical movement of up to 200 feet per round
>immune to many offensive spells
>can grapple and knock people prone with its attacks, as well as use frightful presence in the middle of its attack sequence
>cannot be charmed or frightened or paralyzed

Still dies to a guy with a magic bow that flies, but not much else.

It's probably because I'm unfamiliar with the rules, but where's the 200ft move coming from? On the sheet I'm looking at, it says 40ft movement, and can move up to 20ft at the end of three enemy character's turns, for a total of 100ft

Oh, I miseread the legendary action as it being full speed. It can dash on its turn for an extra 40, making the total speed 160. Still faster than a horse, and even a phantasmal steed would have to use its turn dashing to get away.

I've never used, or played against, Legendary Beasts like a Tarrasque.

Do they get the usual Action/Bonus Action/Free Action/Reaction shtick, where applicable, as well as the three Legendary Actions?

Legendary creatures do take turns as normal, with specific out-of-turn legendary actions. It helps prevent them from getting gangbanged by action economy, and keeps the boss scary when the party has 4-6 normal turns compared to the boss's 1.

Lair actions added on to some creatures add on to this further.

Numerous Level 20 Monks with Quivering Palm

Would a tarrasque be uncheesable if you give it back its gravity field from 4e?

Do BBEGs often have Legendary Actions? I mean, it comes down to the GM and the bad guy, I guess, but do you think a really powerful bad guy having even just one or two Legendary Actions makes sense?

If it's a boss fight, then yes, he should have some Legendaries. If he's just an administrator then no

Alright, no worries. Cheers. Might work that into my game then.

That, or a boulder-toss attack with sufficient range. Or a wizard to cast Fly on it

If you want to, sure, it'll make the fight more exciting than most other ways of evening out the action economy.

So, assuming you would need skilled hirelings, and you supplied them with +1 longbows (I'm not sure how cheap you can get a magic bow, or which kind would be best) roughly how much gold would you have to spend to have a good chance of actually taking it down instead of ending up with an entire field of finely ground peasant?

Consider: A peasant only hits the Tarrasque on a crit. Assuming no mod, that would average to 10 damage on a crit, or an average of 0.5 damage per round.
The Tarrasque has about 685 effective HP. About 1400 peasants with +1 bows would be required to one-round-kill the Tarrasque, assuming it loses initiative to all of them and doesn't get to use legendary actions, frightful presence or close to melee.

When it says "Spent legendary actions are regained at the start of each turn," does that mean they get 3 legendary actions for each shot a peasant makes, or does it mean it regains them at the start of it's turn?

>Your horse is faster than 200 feet per round?
My phantom steed has speed 100, so while dashing it goes 200

It says that the Legendary Actions are regained at the start of ITS (the Tarrasques) turn.

Ah, my bad, I was using roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tarrasque#content for info, guess they have it wrong, thanks.

All g. It's not really relevant with a small party anyway (like what I'm running), but yeah, if you have five or six people in a party, regaining all three after every player turn could get brutal, even if it can only use one per turn.