I'm doing worldbuilding, what's vital for people in a shelter?

I'm doing worldbuilding, what's vital for people in a shelter?

I would say water, food and medicine. Clothes maybe. Anything else essential?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PMCKVzAFo2w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Air is nice.

Heat, or alternatively cooling.

Condoms. There won't be much to do and you do NOT want to increase the population if you're in a bunker.

Enough resources to survive 3 generations.

Sanitisation equipment.
I'd suggest some tools too, in case you need them.

A place to poop. Seriously, I've been in no less than 3 apocalypse games, and none of the shelters had restrooms or anywhere to safely dispose of waste.

Wait, did your DM ask your PC about his need to poop?

Not exactly. I'm one of them, we were stuck in a Vault (Fallout style, but not) and one guy tried to mutiny, but failed. Our leader, who was slowlslowly getting more and more insane, had us publically execute him as an example. Afterwards, it went like this.

>Me: we need to dispose of the body. It can't be sitting and rotting here.
>Player 1: Heh, we can flush it down the toilet.
>Player 2: Actually, that's not a bad idea, depending on how our water system works. GM, how does our plumbing and sewage work?
>GM: [blank stare intensifies]
>Me: Please, tell me you didn't forget plumbing.
>Player 1: How have we been going to the bathroom for the last 9 months?
>GM:..... I guess you all drop dead from blood poisoning?

We don't let him GM anymore.

Soap.

>Player 1: How have we been going to the bathroom for the last 9 months?
>GM:..... I guess you all drop dead from blood poisoning?

This is a thing that actually happened and isn't made up.

A method of cracking carbon dioxide into oxygen.
Sewage disposal/recycling.
Population control.
Climate control.
SPARE PARTS, and a way to make more.

Well, rumor has it Tycho de Brahe died due to holding it in too hard. Though realistically it was probably some infection.

Light in some measure wouldn't be bad.

>SPARE PARTS, and a way to make more.
A 3d printer, whose output materials can be recycled.

There's a TV series Doomsday Preppers made by National Geographic, something to draw inspiration from, if you can be bothered watching the whole thing.

Air and water are your biggest issues because you need to either recycle withing boundaries of your shelter or refresh (and purify) from the outside. Can't reasonably stack up enough to keep inhabitant alive for any reasonable time.
With food a sufficiently large stockpile might be and option, though it would be bland and boring. you might want to be able to recycle.
Solid waste disposal ain't really an issue either, just dig another hole next to your shelter and dump the dump there. It will take generations to fill.

Besides that it's sanitation, medical care, tools, weaponry (depending on how hostile you expect the outside world to be) and last but not least education and entertainment.

Toilet!

>Privacy room...

>This episode pretty much

youtube.com/watch?v=PMCKVzAFo2w

Emergency equipment. Flashlights, alternate energy sources, water purifiers, blankets, gas masks, etc.

>what is humor

Food along with some form of recyclable Air and Water supply are the absolute bare minimum. For the latter two you need some mechanical means to recycle what you've got or purify what you get from the outside, that means a reliable source of electricity and storage medium.

Non-essential but still vital things that any serious shelter wouldn't go without are sanitation systems, including waste management and hygiene. Sleeping arrangements with enough bunks or other quarters for all planned occupants. A variety of entertainment products and a communal area for people to socialize. Basically you need enough of everything required to keep regular people healthy and sane long enough for outside conditions to stabilize, which depending on the nature of your apocalypse could range from only weeks to generations.

It absolutely has to be impervious to radar. We don't want any radars to detect the people in our shelter, which is what radars are for. Our shelter needs to be 100% opaque to radar. It is absolutely imperative that no radars can enter our shelter.

Radar apparently means "Black people" in 60s slang.

I think he means that radar is generally not that dangerous to human beings, and having your shelter be opaque to radar pretty much guarantees it's going to be detected.

You really don't want your emergency shelter being detected.

If this is a core feature of the setting, I suggest finding some survival forums that specialize in it.

Google stuff like SHTF and TEOTWAWKI. These days the nuclear threat has died down so there's more emphasis on surviving pandemics, EMP, Carrington Events, the caldera cutting loose, or economic collapses. But there's still plenty of interest in bunkers.

Oh, for pooping? Septic tank.

beyond the normal stuff (food,water, weapons, etc)

>Salt and pepper......i'm not eating completely bland food
>Tea bags, or Tang, or something, I'm not drinking water only
>duct tape, because it's handy as fuck
>cig lighters, matches, and a good knife or 3
>extra blankets
>a box of d&d books and dice and paper and pencils.......because it can cure boredom
>candles
>sugar or sweets, because i may want a snack
>beef jerky........lots and lots of beef jerky
>a set of tools (screwdriver, wrenches and pliers)
>aspirin and rubbing alcohol and hydroxide
>Soap and toothpaste and spare toothbrushes
>scissors (i'm not looking like a fucking dirty hippy if we leave the shelter in 10 years)
>a fishing kit (in case we leave the shelter)
>a couple hammocks and camping supplies
>books on generators and solar power
>toilet paper
>plastic bags (lots of them, various sizes), because handy as hell
>a chainsaw (for after we leave the shelter) and fuel/oil

Alrighty....i'm ready. Lock the door till the danger is gone