40k Mercenaries

How do mercenaries work in the 40k universe?
What races provide mercenary services?
I've heard Tau use a lot of mercenaries in their alien auxiliaries, but are there any Tau themselves that offer fight for money?
Are there any renegade Space Marines that offer their services for money?

I just like the concept of soldiers of fortune and I'm curious about how they work in the 40k universe.

>How do mercenaries work in the 40k universe?
Same way they do in the real world, probably, just without the complication of not having legal protections because nobody gets them.
>What races provide mercenary services?
At the least, Tarellians and Kroot. Humans too, probably.
>I've heard Tau use a lot of mercenaries in their alien auxiliaries, but are there any Tau themselves that offer fight for money?
There might be a few, but the Tau Empire is pretty damn authoritarian and keeps a close eye on every Tau.
>Are there any renegade Space Marines that offer their services for money?
Unlikely. Most Space Marines outside of the strict constraints of their Chapter get lapped up by Chaos pretty fast.

Forgot orks, but otherwise this.

Traitor Space Marines do just about anything for supplies. Most small warbands whore themselves out to larger ones when they're not pirating. It's not entirely out of the question to get paid for mercenary duties but the guy hiring the warband would really have to find inventive ways to not get screwed over by the guys he's hiring.

John Gramaticus and Matt Daemon were both perpetual mercenaries for some xenos "Cabal"

They didn't get paid however. I don't actually know what kept them indoctrinated to the cabal.

You can easily make up "mercenary" Loyalist Space Marines.

Loyalist Space Marines can do whatever as long as they:
1) Don't commit heresy
2) Go to fucking war when a fucking sector-wide fuckup happens

Which means that inbetween huge Ork Waaaghs and Black Crusades, Space Marines can do just about anything.

Which includes simply ignoring wars. The Blood Angels just stopped going to war for 50 years after taking horrible losses in one fucked up war. Space Marines can decline participating in a war, as long as the war is not very relevant in the Imperium.

By that same logic, there is nothing stopping Space Marines from going out of their way to participate in wars for money, good will or rare artifacts.

You can make mercenary Space Marines work. Just keep in mind that they can only work for Imperials, and that given the economics of the Imperium, they'd mostly would do work for:
1) Rogue Traders
2) The Adeptus Mechanicus
Because those factions actually have things to trade that Space Marines want.

>Space Marines not wanting to go to war

OK you can just take your things and leave.

I would like to see more renegade humans. Not Imperial and not chaos.

In fact I'd like to see what civilians do in 40k.

I fucking already explained that the Blood Angels stopped going to war for 50 years and no one batted an eye.

The Iron Hands occasionally abandon worlds to their enemies because 'they just didn't fight hard enough to be considered true Imperials'.

Space Marines can do whatever, as long as they go to war whenever a Hivefleet or a World Engine awakens.

>I would like to see more renegade humans. Not Imperial and not chaos.
Definitely. For a galaxy spanning empire, everything so goddamn homogeneous. The Galaxy is massive on an incomprehensible scale. The Imperium isn't going to find every dissident faction of humans.

That's because they had low numbers and they are a First Founding chapter.

>Space Marines can do whatever they want

There are some boys from Badab that would say other wise, user.

Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus has some info about mercs, at least in the Calixis Sector/Koronus expanse.

The Brotherhood acts more or less like a "cooperative" or "guild" for all sector mercenary companies, from ragtag teams of goons to planetary-wide companies that make Academi look like nightclub bouncers. It also tries to make them operate under Imperial Law (at least, not selling their services to chaos or xenos)

Fuck off, the fuckheads during the Badab war literally buddied up with heretical Chaos worshipping renegades. They just didn't know they were buddying up with fucking traitors.

the eldar provide mercenary services aswell, they even got a whole forgeworld faction, the corsairs, revolving around that and piracy more or less.

Space Marines have autonomy, but they aren't untouchable.

Don't the Fallen Angels do mercenary work?

Yeah thats kind off what he said in the first post.

>Unlikely
Look at this youngfag

WHATS A FALLEN ANGEL I THINK YOURE MAKING THAT UP THATS DUMB NO

Oh, sorry mister Interrogator-Chaplain. Please don't take me to the Rock. I meant those totes lying chaos space marines that likes to dress up in old Dark Angels armor and pretend to be Dark Angels. Nothing happened on Caliban. No sir.

Some Night Lords i'm sure

This is pretty helpful, thanks.

>Space Marines can be mercenaries as long as they fight for the Imperium

Oh so just like how US Marines can be mercenaries so long as they fight for the United States.

>paying death cult assassins

>bribing the Terran high council for storm troopers

>bribing the Terran high council for Officio Assassinorum agents and/or grey knights

>paying PDF's

>paying orks with nid teeth.

The options are endless!

>stopped going to war for 50 years and no one batted an eye
You do realize that chapters do this because they're usually at critically low numbers and so have to go on a rest period, so to speak, in order to rebuild their numbers and armory in order to properly wage war once more?

Space Marines most certainly cannot do whatever they want, though they have far more autonomy than any other organization in the IoM.

Space Marines can't be loyalists if they are mercenaries.

>Don't commit heresy
>Go to fucking war when a fucking sector-wide fuckup happens

Yea OK this is all that is required of a Space Marine chapter.

This week in the news, 40k fan knows nothing about lore.