Anybody else think that katanas are a little underpowered?

Anybody else think that katanas are a little underpowered?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6vEUXWK8wbc
youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE.
books.google.cz/books?id=4Ete0zPAnjwC&pg=PP1&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true
nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/1090
youtube.com/watch?v=SKuIOtF41dI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I remember the katana copypaste. Good times. I miss the days when shitposts were actually good, interesting and above all Veeky Forums related.

inb4 shittiest copypasta

Not in AD&D, but I've heard they're underpowered in d20.

Katanas are only good swords if you're going off their myth and reputation. If you're going off actual quality of the finished product, and its use in a battlefield, katanas are actually inferior to many other types of sword, European straight blades among them. Obviously everyone knows this and this is a bait thread though.

Late klatanas lose out to the cavalry saber, as the cavalry saber has an identican statline for $50 cheaper, as long as you're looking at broadswords. For two-handed swords, though, the late katana is the cheapest option available at reach 1 and does cutting damage. sw+2 cut is respectable, but nothing amazing.

A normal katana is pretty useful, as it comes in a TL earlier and still being one of the cheapest options. When you compare it to other broadswords, it does sw+1 cut, which neither an estoc nor a hook sword can do, although what really sells it is having Reach 1, 2 for that swinging cut. The only other broadsword option for that is $100 more and has an unbalanced parry. For two-handed swords, the competition comes in with bastard swords, at which point it's a question of Reach 1 thr_1 imp or Reach 2 thr+2 cr. Personally, I would go for the bastard sword in that case, since imp is one of the more resisted damage types among fantasty creatures. If there weren't any fantasy creatures, though, katana all the way for being able to stab for eyes, chinks, vitals, etc. when the need arises.

What's up with weebshit and katanas cutting bullets in half?

Is it like, deep down inside they still believe the "burrets are dishonorabru," shit and fantasize about katanas still being relevant? Like modern day Boxers

This is the only acceptable way to put a sword to use against bullets, and also way the fuck cooler than cutting bullets in half since that's old hat at this point: youtube.com/watch?v=6vEUXWK8wbc

That does not look cooler than cutting boolit in half, see me after class.

If boolit normally never got cut in half I'd agree, but at this point any asshole with a katana and an issue of Shonen Jump seems to be able to do it.

Catching boolit with sword and throwing boolit back in enemy's face, though? I don't see that much, especially not in movies where getting shot is typically portrayed as having realistic effects. Up to that point in the movie, the dude with the gun pretty much murdered indiscriminately, since how many people in the early 1900's in China had a gun like that, really?
Made the scene all that much cooler to see him get outplayed.

>Obviously everyone knows this and this is a bait thread though.

Then what the hell was the point of your post?

The point was to call the OP out on a pointless post, in much the same way you're doing to me.

Axes are best weapon, prove me wrong.
>Heavy head allows for bones to be better cut with ease.
>Can be turned into a one handed weapon with minimal effort.
>When the fighting's done, you can go start a logging business in the middle of the forest.
>People will pay a lot more for slain trees than slain bodies.
>Used by Vikings, lumberjacks, and firemen. All of which are seen as badasses.

How can other weapons even compete?

An axe for combat is not an axe for lumbering.

But it can be used for either, right? Especially if originally designed for lumbering.

Checkmate.

Bearded axes, specifically, are the best. The ability to have a strong handhold beneath the actual blade of the axe allows for a massive amount of blade control, while still allowing large hacking chops with a different grip.

A lumber axe used in a fight will fuck someone up pretty good, but it's not going to create the same amount of injuries as a larger blade would. It could still very easily shatter bones though. I would not want to try to use a combat axe for chopping wood unless I absolutely had to, but it would theoretically work / be better than nothing.

Big upside to axes, though? Even when blunt, they can still murder people. A big dull axe is just a big hammer. A dull sword, by contrast, is just a metal stick.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

People murder other people with wooden sticks, don't they? A metal stick can't be much worse.

Such posts/greentexts/pastas still show up from time to time. We just overlook them because we're too busy wanking over the old ones while pretending Veeky Forums has somehow radically changed.

A metal stick is better than nothing, but a metal weight on the end of a hardwood pole still beats a metal stick for beating someone to death. A stout tree branch is going to weigh more than a dull longsword in many cases, if you're down to clubbing someone to death there are many blunt weapons I'd reach for before going for a blunt sword.

Samurais used guns, fucking moron.

Stop playing Total War and read a book baka.

>What's up with weebshit and katanas cutting bullets in half?
Because it's cool.

>Is it like, deep down inside they still believe the "burrets are dishonorabru," shit and fantasize about katanas still being relevant?
Katanas were never really that relevant. Prior to the Sengoku Jidai, the primary weapons of the samurai were the lance and bow, much like how western knights used lances first and foremost with swords as side-arms. And much like in the West, swords in the east over time gained a mythical status as the weapon of the nobility, and even deep into the world wars were assigned as ceremonial weapons to officers (so in a way, the Japanese who used katanas were indeed feared and respected and were indeed targeted first: they were officers). It has nothing to do with the anime of decades later.

>Like modern day Boxers
Are you saying the average boxer couldn't fuck your shit up? These guys are trained to and regularly practice in damaging brains. Look up the effects of a knock out on the human brain, and realize that (unlike in MMA), you don't lose a boxing match until you've been knocked out so hard you're out cold for ten seconds.

Maybe they tought that guns can´t represent the martial skill and self-mastery exhibited by the warrior, the way the sword, the spear and the bow can? This seems part on the point these guys are making:youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE. I feel there has to be a body of philosophy written on these ideas, but I can´t be bothered to read the Five rings right now.

Samurai did use guns and the Japnese adopted fireams warfare more enthusiastically than Europeans did , herebooks.google.cz/books?id=4Ete0zPAnjwC&pg=PP1&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true p. 17-19
and there really were gun-wielding samurai as well as millitias of armed monks, since the monasteries were formidable feudal powers in their own right and had interest in protecting themselves and gaining the clans´ favor This notes something about
it nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/1090

>Japnese adopted fireams warfare more enthusiastically than Europeans did

Yeah, I imagine metal armor being far less common would result in more widespread adoption of early guns. The Europeans had an easier time producing quality steel, so it makes sense that their easier time fielding metal armor would result in a slower adoption rate of guns.

>Dumbass found dead with six gunshot wounds

As a tank main, I expect to log straight into dungeons once SB drops

To be fair to the makers of the video, they've pretty heavily avoided weebshit(this is the second class to be straight up eastern inspired), and they're pairing it with a rapier/duelist class that just all the fucking style

youtube.com/watch?v=SKuIOtF41dI

The game still gets pretty anime in a fun way though.

Spoiler told in a vague way
In the last patch a giant bettle-robot made from ancient magitech fought a giant dragon-like being made purely from magic and vengeance.

He's talking about the Boxer Rebellion/Revolution of Harmonious Fists, where a bunch of Chinese guys decided they were real DnD monks able to withstand bullets because their Kung fu was strong enough

Generals are cancer. 40k doesn't need a general. D&D doesn't need a general. Only a few niche games really need them.

It does not have to be weeb to be stupid, stupid power fantasies are just as good at being stupid.

>Muh handsome face
>Muh charming smile
>Muh impressive ability
>Muh relevance to a lot of people

It's just escapism, power-fantasy masturbation.

I think you'd be surprised at the game. While it certainly is ultimately a story about you being the hero, it's taken a lot of twists and turns in the meantime, and has raised a lot of questions about what you're doing and how right you are.

For example, the story has pointed out that at times you've acted like nothing more than an enforcer, fighting and killing enemies who are nothing more than desperate to try and survive against powers much stronger than them.

And while it certainly can be said to be for the greater good, it doesn't change that what you're doing is inflicting suffering on groups that don't really deserve it.

Wildstar is a better world, ESO is a better game.

What game is this from anyway? It sure ain't Nioh, which is a little weeby but not THIS weeby.

Final Fantasy XIV. It's the new expansion.

And while the video's pretty weeb, game itself isn't very much at all.

I'd argue with both of those.

>Because it's cool.
It's useless, you're trading one bullet for two smaller bullets that are still coming at you.

>Fantasy Arabia is Fantasy Arabia
>Fantasy Britain is Fantasy Britain
>Fantasy Japan IS WEEB SHIT.

No joke, I think Final Fantasy XIV has more Fantasy Britain Analogues than any shred of Japanese shit.

Wildstar is a shit game, and ESO has several Elder Scrolls games to draw lore from and still managed to shit up its' own lore.

I'm more of a mace guy myself. Such an underappreciated weapon

Also worth noting that the shit that's happening in the OP video is explicitly magical.

>magic
>not swordsman spirit
Trash of the highest order

It's Final Fantasy, so it's most likely both.

To be more specific to the lore, a quick rundown.

Basically, the people of Eoreza, the setting of the game, have the ability to naturally channel aether, a naturally occurring energy held by all living beings and in the environment itself.

Every class in the game takes advantage of this one way or another, either directly(which is what mages do) or indirectly(such as the various combat classes augmenting their speed, strength, and the like) in order to fight. Channeling aether, while natural, is also something that has to be learned and practiced, so it can take a lot of discipline to use it in effective ways.

So, then?

Wildstar is a fantastic game if you're one of the few people that love the skateboard park feel of movement. Or if you love Pixar's art style. Or if you really liked Treasure Planet.

Pretty much.

It varies based on the classes, as each of them have their own methods and philosophies.

Take the three basic mage classes, for example, Conjurer, Arcanist, Thaumaturge.

Conjurers use their magic not by drawing on their inner reserves, but by the world around them, and are very aligned with the natural world(think druids). Their magic is about steady but consistent use of aether, never taking so much that it harms the world around it.

Thaumaturgy, on the other hand, emphasizes taking advantage of aetheric currents to channel large amounts of aether in very short periods of time. This gives them waxing and waning periods of power, as they alternate between huge bursts of destruction with very reserved areas of quick restoration.

Arcanists, on the other hand, are very mathematically based, and rely on calculations and formulas to channel their own aether. Notably, they use their power to create aether constructs to serve them(which allows them to more efficiently use their power because the constructs require far less than regular magic), and their spells are often much less flashy, but extremely dangerous over time. Unlike the other two, they learn to draw on aether to restore their energy immediately, and gain power from doing so. So while they lack the flashy displays of power of the Thaumaturges or the consistent energy of the Conjurers, they instead have efficiency combined with planning and control.

>aether, a naturally occurring energy held by all living beings and in the environment itself.
Ah, I am okay with this.

Titan Egi is shaped like a friend.

>tfw HEMA fags have become the new katana fags

Agreed. The real reason we have Generals is to contain their OP copypasta with all the links and tools.

If we moved those to 1d4chan, and made that the locale for such things, we could live without Generals.

>the fucking smirk

>cut bullet in half
>you are now gonna get hit by two bullets

nice one weebs

>A dull sword, by contrast, is just a metal stick

You could always half-sword and beat the shit out of someone, specially against an armored oponent.

I'm not saying you don't have options, just that your options with a dull axe are better than your options with a dull sword.

Because it's fun.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Gauntlet" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Boxing gloves deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned genuine boxing gloves in Queensberry for 2,400,000 Bong (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with them for almost 2 years now. I can even smash slabs of solid steel with my boxing gloves.
British glovers spend years working on a pair and stitch them up to a million times to produce the finest gloves known to mankind.
Boxing gloves are thrice as cool as gauntlets and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a gauntlet can smash, a boxing glove can smash better. I'm pretty sure a boxing glove could easily KO a knight wearing full plate with a simple uppercut.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering England? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Boxers and their gloves of destruction. Even in World War II, German soldiers targeted the men with the boxing gloves first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Boxing gloves are simply the best gloves that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Boxing Gloves:

(Two-Handed Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork
tl;dr = Boxing gloves need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

GURPS really is balanced incredibly well
were you the one who posted in the thread yesterday about healing potions? Keep it up user, you're doing the LORD'S work out here

Man if someone can do shit like that with a katana imagine what they could pull off with a great sword. Motherfucker is seriously living himself here.

Hello fellow GURPSfag.

>using metal swords

That show is great.

>pretending Veeky Forums has somehow radically changed.
The only real difference between Veeky Forums now and Veeky Forums in the late 00's is that Veeky Forums back then was split much more along the middle over wether realistic armor designs or anime chainmail bikinis were preferable. The former group seems to have more or less disappeared entirely since.

Katanas get a really bad rap for what are actually a really practical sword for quite a few scenarios.

Like, it's sort of a meme for Zombie games to always have katanas in them, but it actually really makes sense, a katana would probably be the ideal sword in a Zombie apocalypse.

People compare them to longswords and the like, which really isn't fair, they perform a very different role and aren't designed for fighting strong armor, but they're lightweight, fast and easier to maneuver than a longsword, are designed to slice in the same motion as drawing the blade, and in general are very very good at cutting through unarmored flesh, which is what you would want for fighting unarmored, unarmed, but potentially very fast and stealthy zombies, that have a penchant for attacking in close quarters.

The main sword that you could really compare to a katana would be a sabre, and for my money, I'd take the katana in a zombie apocalypse. Sabres are designed to be wielded one handed, and don't really work two handed. Katana are mainly designed to work two handed, but can be wielded one handed very effectively, so you don't lose out on that option, which is important when speed, and close quarters, cramped fighting is needed. But you're going to need the power of two handed slices to slice off limbs and heads, which is important when fighting zombies in most settings.

Explain the constant arms & armor threads then.

I also like how in Eorzea healing magic is dangerous. The reason is that that life energy has to come from SOMEWHERE. A good conjurer draws small, sustainable amounts from the natural world. A sloppy conjurer is a danger to himself and others.

>teleports behind you
>smirks

nothing personel kid

Nice edit.

That's the most edgelord thing I've ever seen. And I watch a lot of anime.

By being spears and having enough reach to deal with anyone who has an axe, and once that's done with they've got an axe to go chop wood.

There's a shitload of incredibly interesting aspects to aether and how it's explained, and how consistent it was for the longest time.

I loved, for example, that every single WHM weapon had to be made of some sort of living material, because their casting required something alive to properly channel aether in the correct way.

How specifically is that edgelord?

I can see objecting to it because of the Japanese elements, but there's nothing especially edgelord about it.

The three characters watching the fight be all

>[N-NANI?!? in Chinese]

No, no. The guy there is using a katana, a type of edged weapon. Using his supernatural skill, he is able to slice through bullets and cause structural damage in his immediate vicinity. He is a lord of edged weapons, an edge-lord, if you will.

What scene in Team America: World Police was this from?

This sounds really interesting and I like the lore... but how well is it represented in gameplay, if at all?

The original

By that logic, then does that make this fabulous motherfucker the edge-king? Substitute for younger version if necessary

Pretty decently. Beyond the fact that so much of this lore is explained in the game itself, let's talk gameplay mechanics

Arcanists are a DoT class the eventually split into two classes, Summoner and Scholar. They lack the explosive damage of other classes, but their DoT rotations add up fast, and they have a lot of effects that debilitate the foe during the fight. They're a pet class as well, so controlling the pet is another aspect of their gameplay. One big addition to this is that they're a very mobile class, as they have several instant cast spells, so they can adjust their positions a lot better than other DPSs. Their other biggest mechanic is Aetherflow, which lets them restore MP and build Aether stacks that they can spend on conditional skills for further damage, control, or other effects

Summoners are the full DPS class, and pick up a mechanic in which they need to build stacks through their aetherflow to enter a special stance that buffs their damage, gives them access to actual direct damage, and lets them finish with a big AOE hit. They also get better versions of the base pets, along with one new one, which add extra damage and a little bit of support for everyone else.

Scholars, on the other hand, are dedicated healers. They trade their old pets for fairies, which are healing pets. Scholars are kind of weird in what they do, in the fact that they don't have the raw healing power of WHM while also lacking the direct utility of AST, but they have a shitload of options and tools to control a fight instead. Between their pets and their own buffs, they can do a shitload of things, and most importantly, they keep all the damage spells from the base class, so they're pretty decent damage dealers as well(every class is a DPS in this game, including the healers, but they're the best of the three).

It's a strangely easy yet complicated class. The pet heals automatically, so it removes a lot of pressure of watching everyone's health.

Ropera is best (melee) weapon.
>Light and allows to stab unarmored and armored enemies
>Already one handed
>When fight is done you can mercy kill people hiding among the corpses
>people will pay you to slay people if not just demand looting privileges
>vikings get btfo by moors, moors get btfo by spanish, spanish use roperas. Lumberjacks are gay but not as gay as the legion, so they fail at being their own stereotype. Nobody cares about fireman except you since you just got burn

... fuck that sounds really interesting if not... dare I say, fun.

It's a subscription based game isn't it?

But complicated in controlling not only your buffs, but your pets buffs, and managing your aetherflow stacks. It can end up being a pretty damn frantic class, overall.

Conjurer(and it's job, White Mage) is a healer as well, and is about a combo of sustained healing over time and big number heals. Unlike the other two base mage classes, the class has no huge MP restoration mechanic, only it's natural MP regen and an ability that increases it(which is on a fairly long cooldown). Instead, WHM has a lot of HoTs to minimize long fight damage with some of the most powerful pure healing in the game behind it. WHM is ultimately about grinding it out in terms of healing, with the occasional big burst of healing to cover bad situations.

Yes, but I'd say it's worth it. The game is fucking full of lore, every step of the way. Every single class has it's own storyline, to include crafting classes, and some of them are honestly very good. The 2.0 storyline isn't bad, but can be super grindy in terms of fetch quests. However, it's still a pretty damn good story, and once you get to the first expansion, shit gets fucking really good, really fast.

Last, we've got Thaumaturge and it's job, Black Mage. It's a DPS class, and built around elemental stack management. The class is built around alternating between ice and fire magic. Fire magic is at base more powerful, and grows even stronger every time you cast it, but it also halts your ability to regain MP so long as the stack is up. On the other end, ice magic is less powerful, but increases your MP regen to obscene rate. Adding in some abilities to control and switch around your elemental affinity(and eventually some that take advantage of the balancing for even more damage), and the class is balancing huge spikes of powerful magic with low periods of huge recovery.

It's the sex scene you fucking mong. Ever seen a penis before?

Well the trial is free forever, going up to level 35.That's level 35 in everything except expansion classes, so you can do a lot before you decide to sub.

European swords are of better quality but it's kind of retarded that people use this as more of an implication that European technology and metalsmithing was somehow inherently superior to Japanese technology and metalsmithing. As if the culture and intellect of the people led to this or something.

Japanese swords were weaker literally because they had no access to quality metal. The folding is required because of this.