So say the Imperium succesfully defends a world from a Xenos invasion, a Xenos that uses tech like Eldar or Tau

So say the Imperium succesfully defends a world from a Xenos invasion, a Xenos that uses tech like Eldar or Tau.

What happens to the wreckage? There's a lot of dead xenos, and a lot of xenotech lying around but given how xenophobic the Imperium is what would they do with it?

Scrap it all for building material?
Let the Mechanicus show up to take it all away for 'research'?
Put it in a giant hole?
Shoot it into the sun?

Possibly sent to the Ordo Xenos for analysis to better understand the threat that particular species presents.

Adeptus Mechanicus probably comes in and tries to get their grabby little techno-jew hands on it.

Didn't the Mechanicus fill the cargo holds in one of their ships during the Democleas Crusade and then just got the fuck out, leaving the Imperials to fend for themselves

I imagine the ground forces would get started by gathering it up and burning it. There'd probably be a lot of it scavenged by civilians ending up on the black market before the authorities could move to secure it. Other than that, I suspect the local Mechanicum would want to study it.

Pretty much this. The vast majority is claimed by the Adeptus Mechanicus (and Inquisition, if they're involved or choose to involve themselves afterwards) for study and subsequent destruction. The rest ends up on the civilian black market, bought by members of the nobility with a leaning towards the exotic and illegal or wealthy criminals looking for extra firepower.

The legal order is to sent it to the ad mech or ordo xenos for research and sage disposal,v the likely outcome is superstitious destruction before any research can be done or being looted and sold off the black markets

That sounds about right.

Yeah, pretty much. Stole a fuckton of Tau tech, took no losses worth mentioning, tested their new superweapon and fucked off. They pretty much unquestionably won that one, despite everything cutting away from them to watch the Tau be perfect.

Mechanicus takes it all. Which kinda makes you wonder what they do with it since they have fuck all to show for it in research or technological breakthroughs

They have a lot to show for it, they just don't give it to basic bitch Skitarii or show it off to corpse-worshipping plebs. Archmagi and High Magi can get away with a lot of shit, including Xenotech research. It's why I'm mad that there are like three wargear options for a Magos Dominus as opposed to the eleventy billion there are in the Heresy, because if any faction deserves personal HQ customization it's Mechanicus.

See, Kotov's fleet of badass with restored black hole cannon Ark Mechanicus, Cawl rezzing a Primarch after fighting the Planet Killer ship-to-ship, pretty much anything Arkhan Land does or will do, the Damocles bomb....

Tabletop Admech has what's basically their Imperial Guard with light fire support, which includes Heavy Weapons Teams with T5 and grav-cannons and Kastelan Robot Ogryn equivalents. The only higher-tier weapons we've got are the Ordinatii Minoris, and they're pretty much invincible with some repair bitches and infantry screens, certainly not for less than you pay for them.

Hopefully the next IA will remedy this situation.

1.) Ordo Xenos confiscates it.
2.) AdMech confiscates it.
3.) Rogue Trader offers to remove it.
4.) Nobility squirrels it away and it shows up on the black market/amongst Spyrer Hunters.
5.) Imperial Guard/PDF just burns it all before anyone else gets there.

Aren't spyrers exclusive to necromunda?

I mean maybe in name, but it's always been implied that type of activity is in no way unique to Necromunda.

Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader confirm that the cold trade is a galaxy-wide phenomenon. As for nobles using the tech to hunt their lessers, I think that is unique to Necromunda.

this seems pretty systematic. the Nobles aren't getting much by the time their turn in the pecking order comes round.

>As for nobles using the tech to hunt their lessers, I think that is unique to Necromunda.

I don't think it's unique to Necromunda.
That EXACT method of having their kids blood themselves by descending downstairs and murder people in their xenotech cosplay costumes is probably fairly unique.
But there's probably a few worlds where nobles like to hunt their lessers for sport in some way or another.

Fucking Mechanicum.

What happens if the Ordo Xenos and the Mechanicum both want something?

You aint stealing any of my shit!

I'd imagine that ends badly, and often in a shower orbital fire, Eversor Assassins and both factions trying to cover their own asses after the fact.