So, tell me again why Intelligence isn't used as a stat for fighters...

So, tell me again why Intelligence isn't used as a stat for fighters? Granted Kureha isn't a good fighter in comparison to the others having a complex understanding of anatomy should count for something in a hand to hand fight.

Fighting is about training and nerves, not intelligence.

Krillin and Piccolo.

Prove me wrong.

>having a complex understanding of anatomy should count for something in a hand to hand fight

If that was the case, every guy in the UFC would be a surgeon.

A good fighter doesn't have to be smart, but he must be wise. To know what your enemy is thinking before they even think it.To have the hours of dedication to his technique, and lastly to have the mental fortitude to not give up when things look like they're at their worst.

This. You train your reflexes. There isn't a whole lot of time to think in a fight.

Int might get you general tips like.
>Work the body
>Use your height advantage

Tactical stuff.

It will help you develop new tactics and techniques that you can train your body to use automatically.

>having a complex understanding of anatomy should count for something in a hand to hand fight.

You don't have the time to think about that. Or anything at all really. Most of what you do must be reflexive.

It isn't exactly a mental challenge to do damage either. Keep beating on your opponent and you'll manage it. The hard part is to hit at all in the first place, and not get hit yourself in return.

Because they don't need to fucking be MORE MAD, you dipshit.

I'm pretty sure this is the logic for some of the low-level fighter feats like combat expertise having an intelligence requirement

Quite possibly. But it's not going to help much in the fight itself.

Because stats in RPGs, regardless of their names or even what designers claim they represent, are nothing more than pragmatic stand-ins to simulate proficiency in the abstracted mechanics that are deemed relevant to the game's themes.

Piccolo and goku

Go back to sleep Motobe, you fucking bum

Sounds like something someone who has never been punched in the face would say, time doesnt actually slow down like in Sherlock Holmes

I don't see why not. You're training your blows to affect know weakspots on the body rather than just hitting them anywhere and hoping your stronger than they are. This could go a ways towards helping you fight the sort of fuckers who are just stupid strong, better if you have skill where they done and the mind to use it.

I think a better question is why does Strength increase your chances of hitting?

I think this would make a lot of sense as monster knowledge. Instead of whacking at these hard scales your character read some book about these creatures and knows exactly where the soft spots can be found.

And all that planning goes square out the window when a fist gets thrown at your head.

The same way Int works on all sorts of spells when it would make sense that you have to use charisma for compulsion/charm magic or to convince the outsider you summoned that they should listen to you.

The same reason you can use int on spells that would make sense to use wisdom such as scrying spells or anything used to precieve around you with magic.

And the same reason a spell like spider climb just lets you do it automatically as opposed to making a climb check with bonuses to it.

Look, there's a fucking crapton of classes in ye olde d&d. Pick one that's essentialy an INT fighter and be done with it. Or pick an entirely different game altogether, that works too.
The strong big smashy guy is a fucking archetype that's older than your country, let it be.

So, poor game design?

It does. Just not for base fighters. Try Swashbucklers, Warblades, Lore Wardens, Tacticans, etc.

Street fighting is hectic and requires as much tenacity and furosity as it does skill and intelligence. That's why you train so those skills function with little to no thinking but anything can and does go in an actual fight with no rules.

I mean, yeah a black belt who brags about how awesome he is could be beat by Bubba, but then Bubba's retard farmboy strength isn't going to see him through every opponent, some of which may have experience fighting to the death with varied levels of skill and technique they've picked up along the way.

Rocky wasn't the smart one. Paulie was. Well, at least when it came to boxing. INT is for the sort of guy shouting advice and tactics from the sidelines, not for the dude in the thick of everything.

Exactly, and that's why experience and levels boost your chance of getting in a telling blow. Whereas flat intelligence doesn't.

>So, tell me again why Intelligence isn't used as a stat for fighters?
Wit is the god stat in the Riddle of Steel.

Goku isn't very intelligent though. He just has an uncanny ability to master techniques from others.

I still say the best idea about psionics that should have been applied to other forms of magic was making it so the different disciplines/powers worked off of different stats or even stat combinations to reflect that not all of it was "I'm so smart that my latent psychic talents can turn my spit into acid." but rather cases of "I'm so persuasive that my psychic abilities allow me to turn a group of people into a herd"

A good coach knows everything about the fight, the statistics, the strengths, the weaknesses, what to practice, everything.

A good fighter takes what the coach teaches him and pushes themselves to the point that they no longer have to think about these things, their bodies just do it automatically.
Ultimately the goal of a fighter is not to be able to think their way through everything, but have the physical training and experience to be able to act (or react) accordingly without spending extra time, effort, or mental processes on thinking it through. This is especially important as the thought processes are typically limited when in a high adrenaline situation.

There's probably feats that cover that sort of thing.

So that's why he was rattling off precentages when he calculated his chances of not dying from using Kaioken while in Super Saiyen Blue or how he calculated the level of speed and time needed to counter HITS instant kill move.

He's dumb when it comes to a lot of things but super smart when it comes to fighting and training
>I still say the best idea about psionics that should have been applied to other forms of magic was making it so the different disciplines/powers worked off of different stats or even stat combinations to reflect that not all of it was "I'm so smart that my latent psychic talents can turn my spit into acid." but rather cases of "I'm so persuasive that my psychic abilities allow me to turn a group of people into a herd

That's what I love about 5e's Mystic is that it gives you the narrative freedom to do that. I would totally play an Immortal who was based off of Kureha or Tsunade. Basically I study the human body and medicine, applied what I learned to myself and awoke to my latent psychic powers by training>A good coach knows everything about the fight, the statistics, the strengths, the weaknesses, what to practice, everything.
>A good fighter takes what the coach teaches him and pushes themselves to the point that they no longer have to think about these things, their bodies just do it automatically.
>Ultimately the goal of a fighter is not to be able to think their way through everything, but have the physical training and experience to be able to act (or react) accordingly without spending extra time, effort, or mental processes on thinking it through. This is especially important as the thought processes are typically limited when in a high adrenaline situation.

And how do you think the coach gets that experience? While you're in the fight you keep the thinking to a minimum but what you learn while fighting and from those training you is something you can take and use to better yourself or to pass on

Intelligence is used during pauses after both opponents break the contact after an exchange that ended in a draw. You have a couple of seconds (2-3 normally unless fight goes for a long time) to think up some new approach.

Though it is hard to model in a game. You'll need something like:

-Beak - Pause
-Both combatants create a list of actions that they want to try
-Fight starts and they use their actions in succession, they can change for those that were not declared but they'll get a penalty to those actions.
-Break - Pause

Something like this. Pretty similar to what TRoS and Co does but also with players trying to play Muad'Dib at each other.

That's the double initiative system of the old ADND days. Personally I found it excessively slow but if you're going for that kind of simulationist bent I could see it working.

Assuming a DnD style system, it's because a lot of defense comes from armor, shields, natural armor, etc. and high strength gives you a better chance of landing a hit that actually hurts. Remember if the difference between a hit and a miss is the value of your armor, it means you WERE hit, but your armor stopped it from harming you.

It's charisma more than anything. Fighting is a game of lies.

That's exactly how the combat system in Burning Wheel works. Every round you plan a number of actions equal to the average of your speed, agility and perception then both sets are resolved at the same time.

No cuz i bestis at punchin yu in da hed