NASA has created 3D printed chainmail for ships and space suits. Are we looking at the predecessor to future armor?

NASA has created 3D printed chainmail for ships and space suits. Are we looking at the predecessor to future armor?

gizmodo.com/nasa-is-developing-3d-printed-chain-mail-to-protect-shi-1794626061

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/nA0NVZsp
talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/priebus-trump-considering-amending-or-abolishing-1st-amendment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck is it with nasa and super materials

Protect from projectiles in space.

SCIENCE!!!

Alternatively: space, bitch.

How else are we going to do stuff like build orbital elevtaros and colonize the other planets?

If you don't do that, you won't get anywhere.
After all, the requirements to go to space is so harsh, its a enviroment where things like that can happen.

Based on the article OP posted, it sounds like it's more designed for thermoregulation than for stopping projectiles. That said, 3D printed lattices like that will undoubtedly be cropping up in materials science all over the place in the not-so-distant future, so it's not out of the question that armor could be developed from something similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DoD threw some money behind it for better body armor. Flexible, easy to make chainmail like armor that can flex and be woven into ballistic fabrics and make body armor out of it?

Never mind what you can do when exo-skeletons start to come into their own

Space sucks and you need good shit up there, adapting to space usually gets us amazing shit to use down here.
You know how you microwave that oatmeal with freeze-dried fruit every morning?
Microwave ovens and freeze drying were both invented by NASA.
It's too bad that people think groundside solar power is viable outside of rural lifestyles, though.

Oh, I'd be surprised if the DoD didn't perpetually have their finger on NASA's technological pulse to figure out how they can kill people with whatever brilliant thing they just came up with.

That said, I agree. It would especially come in handy as a means of protecting the exoskeletons themselves.

Yeah, you'd think with the sort of budget republicans want to give the DoD they could funnel that into NASA to get a lot of their programs off the ground.

Exoskeletons to help astronauts during EVA activities? BAM. A little tweeking and hardening and you have power armor for soldiers

If the only thing between you and suffocation is a thin space suit, you damn well want it to be more robust against cuts/tears than the fabric crap they've been using for the last few decades.

Chainmail allows for less movement then platemail, its unlikely to be used as armor, also it wouldn't work well as it would require plates for shock absorption anyway.

>Yeah, you'd think with the sort of budget republicans want to give the DoD they could funnel that into NASA to get a lot of their programs off the ground.

>"American footprints on distant worlds are not too big a dream,"

And you had to ruin it putting that bitch's face on a perfectly good piece of art

>"American footprints on distant worlds are not too big a dream"
Unless Trump teams up with Mattis to overthrow democracy, it's definitely too big a dream.

Congress can't even agree on how to repeal a universally hated healthcare bill that they've been trying to get rid of for 6 year. You know they'll never approve a trillion-dollar space program.

And don't forget no wall either.

>tfw you bought prime real estate on the equator and now the gubment wants to build a gigantic sub-orbital ring overtop of it

Not future enough, needs to be hexagons

>universally hated healthcare bill

Someone has been inhaling far too much Trump

That is fucking awesome. God, what I wouldn't give to move even 5% of our crazy bloated military budget to NASA...

I don't know dude. Imagine how much money they'd give you and you could probably live on top of it as well!

Seems like a win win to me.

Every place a look now just makes me sad to be an American. There is no escape. Not even to space.

>investing in real estate.
>not making your own floating space shuttle launch pad in the middle of international waters with blackjack and hookers.
You got what you deserved.

>universally hated
You're right. I sure hate having insurance. It was better when I just had to die or power through. Manifest destiny. The weak should fear the strong, and all that brouhaha.

It's that Rugged Individualism. They'd rather die penniless of cancer rather than have insurance but god forbid you touch their medicare!

Something something Ayn Rand something something

Those of us who had insurance before sure do miss paying less than half what we do now for what was generally considered better coverage.

And yes, it more or less is universally hated. Even the Democrats who voted for that mess were voting to get rid of parts of it years later, they just weren't willing to let the other guys vote on it first.

Obongo cost me over $6000 with his mandate that I wouldn't have spent otherwise. I haven't had cause to go to a doctor in the last 15 years and yet here I am with insurance like a cuck, subsidizing fatties and old people.

patents on these materials are a large part of the budget

Woah, that looks techno.

Do you insure your car, user?

Well, it seems everyone has it out for poor NASA, as it were. They've been stripped of funding time and time again. It definitely depresses me that all the govbux have to go into R&D for the next missile platform so we can sell it to Europe and Israel instead of materials science to improve construction, genetic science to improve agriculture or nanotech to improve medicine.

>Obongo
Man, if Republicans could take the effort that the put towards hacking the english language into something unrecognizable and making stupid names, and actually put it towards pretty much anything actually worth a damn, then we'd be getting somewhere.

Also, your post reeks of >waaah, I have to be a decent human and help out people who aren't as privileged as I am

the funny part is, the EVERYONE MUST GET INSURANCE bit was a sop to the Insurance industry, who, don't let them fool you, made a fucking KILLING off of the REQUIRED premiums of MILLIONS of new people.

The Affordable Care act certainly was a cluster fuck but it's because Obama was too weak and compromised with the right and the insurance lobby, putting out a shit bill that didn't do anything right and pleased no one. What it DID do right was get rid of pre-existing condition statutes, and made it so employees who work 32 hours a week could qualify for full time benefits

Of course the only REAL way to fix insurance reg is to break up the big companies and make them operate like the non-profits they're supposed to be, turning their excess money over a certain percentage back to their constituents in a premium refund, rather than just fucking keeping it and giving themselves bonuses and blowjobs. In certain states this happens but only because the state legislature goes at them hammer and tongs.

None of this will ever happen because the right mistook being fiscally conservative for sucking corporatist cock at some point, and the left is full of dingleberries who can't figure out why no one likes that soulless guttershark Hillary Clinton and are trying to push 90's style diversification quotas instead of actually governing

t. Democrat whose just given up

If I could get the promise of a kick ass cyborg body I'd vote for him. Just move the senpai out of the country for a few years and burn it all to the ground and then move them back in and protect them.

>waaah, I have to be a decent human and help out people who aren't as privileged as I am
I think his big qualm is the "have to" bit, user.

Forced altruism isn't altruism.

You really do love your senpai :^)

Yes, and someday a benevolent philosopher king will take the reigns of power and everything will be grand.

>was a sop to the Insurance industry
Explain why most of them have dropped out of the exchanges then. Between having to cover absolutely everything and having their cash flow mandated they've had to raise rates and deductibles to ridiculous levels just to stay compliant.

>operate like the non-profits they're supposed to be
I don't think you understand how businesses work, user. They aren't charities

How the fuck did I do that? I meant to type family but you know what? Whatever It still works.

Indeed.

Baron is still young, but his powers are growing.

His name sounds like a fucking supervillain.

Kid's going to go far.

>Let's make it so that anyone working over 30 hours has to be insured by their employer.
>There's no way they'll just cut employee work hours.

With automation becoming more of a thing we have bigger issues that no one wants to tackle.

>universally hated healthcare bill
At most it's a "divisive" healthcare bill. It's got a 48% favorable rating.

>Also, your post reeks of >waaah, I have to be a decent human and help out people who aren't as privileged as I am

The vast majority of healthcare costs are self inflicted and a result of long term lifestyle choices.

Insurance companies barely keep in the black. You want to lower medical bills and premiums? Tort reform is the answer and has been for many years.

>What it DID do right was get rid of pre-existing condition statutes

This is by far the worst part, and should be removed. What was bullshit before was people getting denied for RENEWAL because of conditions they developed in the previous term, but now a company literally has to pick you up fresh if you apply even if you have hopeless metastatic cancer, or diabetes and atherosclerosis from being a fat lazy piece of shit for 50 years.

>2017
>Not knowing solar power is the future and will replace all those dangerous nuclear plants.

It's exactly what happened to me, 32 hours, qualified for insurance at work, health care bill goes through, corporate dictates all part time workers are to get cut below requirement level.
I LOST insurance because of the bill.

Bill Nye plz

Nice. I had insurance before it. I don't anymore.
I'm just glad he won so I didn't have to shell out penalty money for something I didn't have money for in the first place.

Image looks like utter shit. Artist has no conception of perspective or scale. Never mind the physical impossibility of the structure.

Cry harder, you leftist piece of shit.

>Insurance companies barely keep in the black.

Then perhaps they should be allowed to fail, instead of suckling on the taxpayer's teat.

Suck more of Marx's syphillitic cock, please. I'm sure it won't end in a short drop and a sudden stop like every other time in history.

>lol wow voluntary insurance for a product is totally the same as being forced under penalty of death to purchase something simply for being alive
We debunked this shit in 2008 when the nigger first proposed his marxism, you fucking idiot. Tell your boss to fire you or give you a new shilling playbook.

When you're dying of stage 5 anal cancer because you never went to the doctor you keep thinking that.

Don't forget the pharma corps either.

>enjoy government-sanctioned monopoly over IP
>charge any price you like for your drugs
>no individual can afford it
>insurance covers 95% because the government will pay them two
>everyone profits (except the national debt)

>>lol wow voluntary insurance for a product is totally the same as being forced under penalty of death to purchase something simply for being alive

actually car insurance is required by law in some states

Now, we only need some combat drugs.

If you ask me, it's not the source we should be concerning ourselves with, it's the means of transmitting it. If we could develop a wireless energy grid and use AI to allocate our resources to where they're needed at any given time, how we're generating the power would be practically arbitrary.

You could put nuclear reactors on floating stations in the middle of the ocean, if all power was transmitted wirelessly via lasers/satellites. Free-floating means no cracks in their foundations, and being in the middle of the ocean means lots of coolant.

Please tell me that Bill Nye doesn't actually think that.

The whole healthcare system is fucked beyond reason. It's a mad house.

if only he'd gone to the doctors and gotten his cancer cured

oh wait

I wasn't aware it was optional in any state. It's all about liability, your insurance is there so that you can't hit someone, be at fault, and fuck them over by just declaring bankruptcy and being poor.

>Please tell me that Bill Nye doesn't actually think that.
It was an episode on his new Netflix show

Stand back, anons, I'm a motherfucking federal bureaucrat. I can tell you exactly what's wrong with healthcare in the this country. The pharmaceutical companies are bribing doctors to follow a "managed care" approach to their patients' health; essentially keeping patients on an ever-expanding regimen of prescription drugs the treat symptoms but do not cure conditions.

I have presided over hundreds of disability claims for people who could have been cured of spinal injuries by a simple surgery on a herniated disc, but have instead spent 15 years taking muscle relaxers and multiple painkillers to hide the fact that bits of their lumbar discs are impinging on their nerves. Their conditions will inevitably progress and may even result in paralysis one day without surgical intervention, but their doctors keep on convincing them to avoid surgery. These same doctors get kickbacks from the pharma companies for the drugs they prescribe to help their patients cope with the pain that surgeons could easily fix. But the primary care doctor is not the surgeon. If they recommended surgery, they would lose a patient and someone else would get the money. So they keep these poor bastards in a chemical purgatory subsidized by the government and insurance companies.

What's with the change of subject? You didn't support the ACA and think it was well-designed, did you?

If you were a doctor instead of a bureaucrat, you would know that back surgery rarely works well and often makes things worse

It could always be better and I'm all in favor of fixing it rather then the slash and burn method of conservatives. There is a lot of systemtic problems and Conservatives don't want to solve them (admittingly netier do a lot of Democrats).

That said I wouldn't vote for conservatives because they are even more malicious about it then democrats and have no self awareness of how mustache twirling evil/retarded they come off to a lot of people.

This. There's a reason the top 1% of healthcare users consume 21% of all the healthcare.

Did he discuss it before or after the ice cream orgy?

>lol wow you cannot possibly ever get medical care if you aren't forced by law to purchase insurance lol i consider this to be an actual argument
And that's why you lost in 2016.
You sure do have to purchase it even if you don't own a car, don't you? Gee. How about that.
Keep up, kiddo. The bitch sold out.

Malpractice is fucked too. Doctor's starting take home pay is 20%. You don't really make more money, your malpractice insurance just goes down.

Malpractice is also the reason a lot of Hospital expenses are retardedly high. They have to keep a slush fund of millions on hand for lost suits and settlements.

>to a lot of people
To a lot of people that get reported on, like celebrities and various media outlets.

Having the loudest voice doesn't a majority make.

Why can't we just have switzerland's system?
Almost every democrat proposed system involves a nightmare like the NHS or canada's abortion of a system.

>Why can't we just have switzerland's system?
Don't we already? Mandatory purchase of private or public health insurance?

>systemic problems exist, therefore we must keep the biggest problem of them all
I sure fucking hope that liberals will commit mass suicide soon, because their delusions will lead them to either do that or be slaughtered at the hands of sane people who are just fed up.

Here's what's wrong with the healthcare system. Repealing niggercare is the first step to fixing each of these things. pastebin.com/nA0NVZsp

>And that's why you lost in 2016.

Yeah, it's a scary prospect when hospitals can charge you 20,000 dollars for visiting the ER and getting little more then a cursory look after hours of waiting.

Yeah, so much for those packed Rallies for God King Trump right?

Switzerland's system lacks a shit ton of the retarded bureaucracy that is ALWAYS the biggest source of waste and corruption.

Because we don't have a small, homogeneous population in a tiny country that's shaped like a massive stone vault and deals heavily in other people's money.

>lol wow either you keep unconstitutional forced purchasing of insurance or you go back to what we had immediately before that lol you can't fix any of the underlying problems at all lol false dichotomy
Nigger, fucking please. Go the fuck back to leftypol if you think this shit will fly, because it sure as hell doesn't work on anyone sane or literate. I outlined the problems and how to fix them. Your false dichotomies trick no one.

>ouch, right in the childhood
How long until Barney comes out as a transgender purple dinosaur?

That may have been the case in the old days of spinal fusion, but doesn't hold true today. A minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure can easily remove the impinging bits of a herniated disc with almost no downsides.

>Why can't we just have switzerland's system?
Because we are significantly larger than Switzerland, have a significantly lower per-capita GDP, and actually have to maintain a large defense budget because we set ourselves up to be the world police for the better part of the last century.

No, administration is always one of the smallest parts of waste.

> have no self awareness of how mustache twirling evil/retarded they come off to a lot of people.

I think it's no secret that a lot of people view them as the second coming of Hitler, but at this point they've lost the desire to care because if those people got their way they would be lynched anyway. It's like the US caring about North Korea's opinion, when it'll always end with "we want to see the US glassed." Replace "US" with "conservative", and there you have the DNC's outlook on their rivals. Of course, obviously a large chunk of conservatives want to see the opposite, but they aren't acting on those desires in spite of holding all the cards ATM, so clearly at least one of them has a consciousness.

Nigga he won. People voted for him.
Fuck, i didn't, but that doesn't magically mean that more people didn't.

I love you! You love me! Even though we're not the same species! You can fuck a dog or a horse or cow or sheep! It's okay as long as you get consent!
– Barney closing song, 2025

Because both the Left and Right would flip their shit at the first sign of Compulsory Service for various reasons

You could always reduce the capita by deporting peopl- oh wait, we're doing that right now, and everyone is throwing a fit over it even though getting rid of all these excess people is the only way the US is going to be able to afford its current healthcare plan.

Also, Switzerland has the most fit population in the world, whereas America has the most obese.

>Of course, obviously a large chunk of conservatives want to see the opposite, but they aren't acting on those desires in spite of holding all the cards ATM, so clearly at least one of them has a consciousness.

I have no doubt in my mind given half the chance they would abolish the constitution and try to install trump as king of America.

Conservatives aren't the ones who think the constitution is the work of the White Devil and want to see it dismantled at any costs for being "outdated"

>I have no doubt in my mind given half the chance they would abolish the constitution and try to install trump as king of America.
Well it's good to see that you don't consider your opponents to be human people.

>Conservatives
>Abolishing the Constitution
Nigga you don't even UNDERSTAND politics.

As a Euro or whatever I get that you think this bill is a mirror image of your own healthcare system, but it's not. It's a neutered, botched mess that has actually made health insurance massively more expensive while penalizing those who don't buy this overpriced healthcare. It's a bad bill, even those of us who support universal healthcare generally agree on that. Repealing it won't bring us back to how things were before, nobody wants it at this point, and the goal isn't to leave anyone without healthcare, but to try and fix this mess.

And you're either lucky or don't buy your own health insurance.

Really now?
talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/priebus-trump-considering-amending-or-abolishing-1st-amendment
Yeah, and Conservatives don't see left leaning people and anyone who isn't conservative as anything other than fuel for the ovens.

>"Do you consent you beautiful creature?"
>"BAAAAAAA"
>*unzips dick*

>Mattis
>teaming up with Trump to overthrow America
>implying Mattis won't be the one to execute Trump when he tries to go tyranical