Your setting now has a race based on the giant river otter. What are they like and what niche do they fill?

Your setting now has a race based on the giant river otter. What are they like and what niche do they fill?

The main predator of bugbears.

They have established a strong tradition of trade in and around any river systems they have discovered or conquered. Their reliance on their riparian habitat is both blessing and curse, so they maintain largely peaceful relations with neighboring populations.

Whatever setting that was that had halflings hanging out by rivers, these guys moved in and manifested their destiny. I'm imagining them being of similar niche as argonians from TES. Alien and militarily savvy, but primarily with regards to an environment for which they are specifically suited.

>dancing in shit and piss to mark their territory
Anglos.

cute

Otters rape baby seals to death then fuck the corpse for up to a week.

Chimps use frogs as masturbation aides. Your point?

Ancient sea otters are theorized to have hunted whales.

People watch anime about pure maidens and think lewd thoughts about them.

We're all monsters.

>not pure princes (male)

They've been subject to retaliation wars due to the rape of young children

That's sea otters, not river otters.

They charge out the ass to ferry across their rivers.

What would make you think I wouldn't already have several varieties?

And they fill the niche that almost all other beastmen occupy in their respective territories: they prey on sapient races. They're smart enough to set snares and deadfalls, to make bows and arrows and to make loincloths and purses out of skin, but they're not smart enough for agriculture or metalworking, so they're not even one of the top three biggest threats to civilization.

>good with their hands
>slippery and hard to pin down
>quick little bastards but somewhat lazy, likes to play around instead of working too hard
>but also love to take things apart to figure out how they work
>good at swimming
>somewhat vain
idk what niche that all adds up to but that was my initial impression of what they would be like.
i guess they would be rogues, often demolition experts or trap dismantlers, not so much into sneaking and stabbing, though they would definitely knife in the back someone if it seemed like a safe bet.
probably a lot of them are religious and basically good, but their society is controlled by mafias.
so... italians from crime movies basically. idk why thats my impression, but here we are.
i think they were probably good to begin with, but meeting other species really made them turn a corner.

>literally called ''River Wolves'' in spanish

kinda explains what they're like and their niche

Pirates, they are pirate's of the setting

Sounds like Australians.

>What is The Space Trilogy..?

I use the Everquest setting for games I run, so they're already incorporated.

Those were seals, ostriches and dwarfvolemoles, user. Unless there were otters in the third book?

You just perfectly described the otters from a collaborative worldbuilding project I've been running for years. Peaceful on the surface, perfectly happy to fight if need be, slowly expanding through economic means. One doesn't need to conquer with the sword alone.

Query: what is the limit of "based on"? Talking animal otters, morphic otters, or shapeshifting otters like the kawauso and the kushtaka?

Clannish fisherfolk of the Guuma rainforest and its rivers - other races tend to find their inability to let go of their jocular nature, even when hunting the most dangerous of the Guuma's freshwater predators like bladespine suchosaurs and giant thresher piranha. "Devil-may-care" doesn't even come close. One young otterfolk might be wrestling to hold a bull suchosaur's jaws shut while his brothers and sisters and cousins and second cousins eviscerate the brute while it still lives, and only comment to complain about the thing's breath and his relatives' lack of work ethic.

Tend to find their inability to let go of their jocular nature unsettling*

Pity me, for I am phoneposting scum.

thats a pretty good idea actually

An odd race exterminated during more troubling times. They fill the niche of extinct race and providing underwater ruins.

Yes. That's why they have so much dangerous weaponized fauna.