Why is everyone so picky about everything ever? Where do I find better friends?

Why is everyone so picky about everything ever? Where do I find better friends?

>discuss anything with anyone ever

>DnD 3e
>>UGH I don't like it, it's imbalanced and has too many trap options

>DnD 3.5e/PF
>>UGH I don't like it, it panders to powergamers and furries

>DnD 5e
>>UGH, it's too SIMPLEEE, I feel like I CAN'T SUPER CUSTOMIZE MY CHARACTER

>Shadowrun
>>UGH, it's too HARRRDDD, I feel like IT'S BUILD FOR AUTISTS WHO LIKE TO SUPER CUSTOMIZE THEIR CHARACTER

>Call of Cthulhu
>>UGH, I HATE the sanity mechanic

>WoD
>>UGH, It's too EDGY

>GURPS
>>UGH too many RULES and GRANULARITY

>Fate
>>UGH it's too VAGUE

>d100 systems
>>UGH I hate missing all the time, it's a flawed concept

>cumulative bonus systems a la d20
>>UGH it feels like you never miss, why even roll?

>Degenesis or any other obscure system with specific settings
>>UGH I dislike reading settings I know nothing of to get into something, I prefer to have predigested lite fantasy settings because you can customize them sooo much

>Where do I find better friends?
The correct term is grognard, OP.

I actually thought that was nautilus for a moment.

>not mentioning F.A.T.A.L.

What a pleb.

Ow.

>Where do I find better friends

Literally anywhere except the internet.

>mentioning F.A.T.A.L.

I wouldn't say that's true. Some of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of playing with are those I met in real life. It's all about luck of the draw as far as I can tell.

You do realize that "Anonymous" is not a unique username?

You do realize i'm not talking about Veeky Forums and that there are other people to discuss RPGs with outside this site?

Well, obviously you should just play D&D 4e

Yeah, he forgot 4e.

>UGH why isn't it 3.pf
>UGH why do battles take fucking forever
>UGH it doesn't have rules for anything outside of combat, where's the rules for challenge pissing?

>d100 systems
>UGH I hate missing all the time, it's a flawed concept

This triggers me so hard. People not using the difficulty mechanics is a huge issue in d100 systems.

Had a talk with a GM the other day that had always been treating "make an Agility Test" (or anything similar) as "make a +0 Agility Test".

Like, no, bitch, it just says make a test; as the GM, you're supposed to arbitrate the difficulty. It doesn't say +60, it doesn't say -60, and it sure as hell doesn't say +0. Make judgement calls you fucking bitch.

Most d100 systems are intended to be played loosely and occupies a good middle-ground between narrative systems (that often lack rules and guidelines for stuff) and rules-heavy systems (which tend to be condensed autism).

It pisses me off so hard when the GM:s treat +0 as the base value, and it triggers me even harder when developers start assuming it is. In WFRP2 and DH, +0 is meant to be "Challenging" for fucks sake.

Right, while we're having a vent thread:
CAN'T YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS PAY ATTENTION FOR ONE DAMN MINUTE?
WHY WON'T YOU DO ANYTHING IF I DON'T CONSTANTLY HOLD A FUCKING CARROT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE?
WHY WON'T YOU MAN UP AND TELL ME YOUR BEEF WITH ME WITHOUT ME FUCKING HAVING TO ASK FOR IT?
IF I TELL YOU IT'S A STORY HEAVY GAME IT'S A STORY HEAVY GAME FAGGOT
THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE COMBAT ALL THE TIME
I MAKE MISTAKES TOO
I BUILD A WORLD FROM THE GROUND UP SO YOU CAN MUCK ABOUT IN IT, I'D LIKE A LITTLE MORE FEEDBACK AS TO WHAT YOU WANT THANKS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Fucking hell do they like anything?

Haven't played with a d100 system before, what do you mean by +0?

God. Fuck. This, so much fucking this.

Most rolls in a d100 system are made at a variable to your base value. In the majority of systems, just trying to roll under whatever your % (that is, +0) is meant for difficult tasks, while normal tasks are usually at +20.

That is to say, let's say you have 35% GUNS. To point your gun at someone just standing there and shoot them, it'd probably be 45 to 55% chance; once they start moving, though, it'll probably go to '+0', meaning you have a 35% chance to hit.

Ah I get it thanks

THIS.

I love Dark Heresy and the other games but playing it with people who have no interest in trying to gain modifiers in their favor during combat is INFURIATING. Like we have a huge table of modifiers that let you roll against more than your fucking 34 ballistic skill, like fucking use aim actions, get some mods on your rifle, get into a better position and DON'T FUCKING STAND IN THE OPEN

Playing FFG's Star Wars at least made it easier for them, but still, fucking hell.

Because different people have different opinions you moron, any one person probably likes at least one of those

>Degenesis
My nigga

The issue is endemic in most systems, though, or at least most roll-under systems. Rather than burdening the player with constant penalties, most rules sets assume risky adventuring conditions as default (+0) with day-to-day uses netting a bonus or skipping rolls entirely. GURPS uses driving a car as an example; you roll vs Driving to make it through a car chase, Driving+4 to make it through traffic if it's important, and no roll is needed to make it to the corner grocery store on a leisurely Sunday afternoon. People always seem to forget stuff like that, though, leading to inflated skill levels and/or really really high failure rates.

Christ, so much this.
The last (as in last ever I will play) Only War campaign I was in was mostly spent getting knocked down in combat and rolling on my back like a turtle for the rest of the fight;
>No, you need to pass an Ag test to stand up in combat.
>Yes, even if you spend your full turn doing nothing else.
>Yes, even though the firefightisno longer happening because it's now a melee a hundred yards away.
or missing melee attacks against a prone pinned opponent;
>No, it says you only get a +10 gang-up bonus.
>Yes, even though Steve's holding his legs and Dave and Other Steve are holding an arm each.
>No, if you want to use your pistol instead it's -10 because he's a prone target.
or never getting any plot-critical information because we weren't specced for interpersonal interactions;
>No, the wounded soldier won't tell you who attacked and slaughtered his squad, or where they went.
>No, not even when you tell him that you are the reinforcements he is expecting.
>No, not even though you're medicine-checking him and taking up defensive positions.

I know it's hard being GM, but holy fuck, if you just want to run through rules like an algorithm play vidya.

You should beat your GM until they start thinking more and reading less

You can't please all the people all the time.

Just go with what you/most want to play the most.

Tell them you're obviously all not going to come to a consensus, and fuck whoever still complains.

>UGH
BBEG

>I know it's hard being GM

Thing is, it's really fucking not. I don't even tell my players difficulty modifiers anymore. I just tell them if it looks hard or not. They only add/remove modifiers they're aware of (such as "I get +10 because I'm aiming") and then I tell them what happens after they've rolled, essentially treating difficulties as added or subtracted degrees of failure/success. Takes care of a lot of fucking metagaming and "Oh, I won't do that, then".

>"Oh, I won't do that, then".
user, actual people can intelligently deduce the best means of action.
If your players are so shit that you must resort to such means, you'd be better off cutting those players than houseruling further means of hobbling everyone that passes your table.

Op thinks Veeky Forums users are people.

>actual people can intelligently deduce the best means of action.

That people genuinely and earnestly believe this to be the default is one of the biggest problems with culture today.

Except in Unknown Armies

Ayep. Definitely agreeing with everyone talking about the 40k games. You can translate it into d20, which people normally understand.

Your average dude in the setting has an attribute of 20 (DnD 10 or +0).
The GM thinks you always need to roll under their attribute in order to succeed at any task, meaning Mr Average has an 80% chance of failure. (The GM is effectively making every roll DC 16, regardless of what that roll represents.)
Even characters who are supposed to be very good at what they do, with an attribute of 35 and a +10 to their skill will fail most of the time. (Even if a DnD character has a +5 to a roll, they're still going to have difficulty with that DC 16 that the GM is fixated on.)

For me, it's all about the GM not using modifiers to the roll. A +0 (DC 16) is down as Challenging, but that's what the GM will ask the player to roll against when the tech guy tries to change a lightbulb or the party face tries to get information from a co-operative source. You would genuinely be better off if you leave the book at home and flip a coin for everything.

No time pressure in rpgs is part of the problem. One GM I had would describe the situation before your characters action and flip a little hourglass he had which measured roughly 15 seconds. Characters with higher Wits type scores got more time. That was the time you had to decide, not to resolve your action. It worked out alright but adding in the Wits system was a bone thrown to people who can't think in a non-mechanical way or engage with the game outside of that layer.

I'll be your friend.

Kek

Sounds like you haven't tried OSR yet.

Try OSR. B/X maybe, it's simple and fun as hell.

I haven't told you my issues because I don't have any.

I haven't given you feedback about what I want because I enjoy what you're doing so far.

We ignored the guard uniforms you shoved in our face 4 times because we thought they'd be useless, and had a decently valid reason for assuming they'd be useless, but it turns out they were actually useful.

I will say that if your players are complaining about not enough combat, that is feedback on what they want

Tell me about OSR, user

And even if it's a system designed to bypass how a group might ignore or dislike that type of modularity (such as 5e) you can cause the design of things to buckle by simply calling for too many rolls in a short time, or for every little thing. No matter what the system is, at that point you're gambling against the competency of the player characters and slowing down the game while nickle-and-diming them with negative consequences that feel entirely punitive instead of something that's happening as part of the developing narrative or normal course of gameplay.

Do you have to say to your players +20 guys

Are those people really your friends, OP, or are they just us.

Yeah, I just needed to vent. In my heart of hearts, I know what I need to do, but 'yelling' about it online helps.

my friends

i want to play or gm a game and i can never get them to agree on anything, which leads us to either playing while constantly groaning, or not playing at all

one of my friends in particular got pissy at shadowrun because it's too hard, complains about getting tired of playing dnd - doesn't want to play anything but 3e and doesn't want to play 5e because it's too bland, but also accepted playing pathfinder with another friend GMing because ???

>playing while constantly groaning
So they're refusing to have fun? Roleplaying games are more about the players and the gamemaster rather than the game system.

playing while groaning as in, they're playing but they still complain from time to time about the things they complained about in the first place, like they're not giving it a chance for the game to be fun because of their preconception of what it entails

>>I don't wanna play DnD man, you might want to because you're kinda new to this but i've been playing for years and i'm tired of DnD
>Okay, let's play shadowrun instead
>>Ugh but shadowrun is hard

>we end up playing shadowrun
>he has trouble understanding the fucking priority table
>>This is hard, why don't we just play DnD or something simple
>mfw

The only GOOD friends I've ever had were people I met on the internet. Everyone in real life around here that's my age is a frat boy who just loves to drink and party.

Which is fine, but I don't ALWAYS want to drink and party.