EDH/Commander General

"Architect of Dreams" Edition

Previously on EDH General:
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Normal, full art or snow covered lands?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-05-17-ast-gonti/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-and-the-seekers-who-are-seeking/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lu-bu-hobo-with-a-shotgun/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doing a standard cards only edh tournament. Rashmi or Jori-En?

>Normal, full art or snow covered lands
Normal because I'm using M15 lands

A gun to shoot yourself with

Would go with Rashmi

>Ezuri about to trample me
>cast Roon's Stunt Double, copying Darien's Darien
>cast Roon's Flash for Kokusho, leaving me at 2 life and 51 Soldier tokens
>turn rolls over to me
>cast Ezuri's Coat of Arms
This is why I play Gonti.

Got a list? That's the kind of play I've been hoping for but never sure how to get out of Sen Triplets.

How do you end up with 2 life after saccing a kokusho?

>Normal, full art or snow covered lands?

Depends on the deck. Most get Normal and like it. Generally, Revised because classic frame and for some reason I have a shitton of Revised basics. A few decks get Full Art, just because I felt like it. I only use snow for decks that care. Which I haven't made yet but really should.

That's gonna be a while. The actual deck is fairly different from my first draft, so I'm gonna have to type it in card by card.

Because I was at 38 and got attacked for 51.

Have you tried any EDH variations like tiny leaders, pauper EDH or 1vs1? How would you rate them? What was the fun part and what was bad?

Tiny leaders is shit and 1v1 doesn't work as a 'variant' unless you're talking Duel Commander which went full retard and hacked the format to 20 life, defeating much of the purpose.

Pauper seems pretty decent, though. I can't be sure since I'm not so much aware of the Meta involved.

Pauper EDH is a great if you just throw decks together out of the commons you have lying around. Proxy the general if you need to, don't need to spend a single cent on a deck.

Here you go.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-05-17-ast-gonti/

I don't get why people play gonti as their general, without many ways to blink him or return him to your hand in mono black, he seems like a much better reanimation target in another deck's 99.

Because it's fun.

Thanks, user

If you don't know why you'd play him, you haven't played him.

It's so much fucking fun

You can play lands with Gonti, right? Just not more than one per turn without something else?

You can't. You can only cast cards exiled with Gonti and you can't cast lands. You can still exile them, but you won't be able to do anything with them unless you also somehow get an Oblivion Sower.

What are the MUST-RUN cards to make mono-red a viable semi-competitive deck?

>Chaos Warp
>Divergent Transformations
>Blasphemous Act
>Vandalblast
>Nevinyrral's Disk
>Steel Hellkite
>Shattering Spree

Argentum Armor? Mind's Eye, Skullclamp, Infiltration Lens? Staff of Nin?

I need tips for giving my mono red decks more answers, and more access to those answers.

tiny leaders is shit, pauper EDH is actually really fun (and cheap). ive played 1v1 like twice and it was pretty shit

hedron archive

Huh. Guess my friend was right. Well, time to apologize and start shoving his Cabal Coffers at the bottom.

Always art from whatever set the commander came from, unless the set had no basics then unhinged for sure

I have been playing super super casual tiny leaders and its fun
pauper edh is so incredibly boring and bad
french/Leviathan is my preferred format online

Tiny leaders was fun until most of my group started to hate it after me and another guy kept winning with shitbrews compared to their decks they actually sank money into, been trying to convince my group to pauper edh but nobody is into it, and 1v1 is only good when we want to test out decks otherwise its cancer. Rate my mostly unedited shitbrew of Breya and tell me how to improve it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-and-the-seekers-who-are-seeking/

How do I keep fucking this up

i dont have a preference in lands with the exception of all ursa islands in my memnarch deck. other than that i just use whatever comes out of the basic land box first

Depends on the commander.
I prefer Innistrad basics because I got into Magic then

>What are the MUST-RUN cards to make mono-red a viable semi-competitive deck?
tg being bad at magic again
its not that bad but its not going to turn a bad mono red deck into a viable one

its ramp and card draw, its a solution to the two biggest problems that red has in a single card. if you think its not great in mono red you might actually be retarded

>Local LGS Store has a Daretti deck
>It's 60-80 bucks

Cogwork Assembler seems really bad
you have a lot of agro cards in the deck but the average cmc is really high
you have the sword of the meek combo in the deck but no real way of protecting it
6/10 would win against a lot of decks based on value alone

>i need card that help me use my cards and get me cards
>this card does both
>hurrrr its not good
the old pretending to be retarded trick i see, classic

2 slow
>draw 2 for 6 mana
>if you dont think this is a must run for mono red decks you might be retarded
get down sparky!

Mind Stone, Hedron Archive and Dreamstone Hedron are all good cards for both mono red/white and Boros

What would you suggest replacing Assembler with and to lower the average cmc? The sword combo doesn't actually get targeted that often due to the group mostly being casual to semi-competitive with only 1 cutthroat deck between the 5 of us.

>acting like mono red has better options

>not running faithless looting or cathartic reunion

its no MUST RUN card
Coercive portal is also a very good card that fills in two slots but its also slow and I would never put it on a must run list.

I'm not really sure but pic related came to mind

Faithless Looting doesn't help if you don't have any cards in hand.
Besides
>running only 2 draw spells, 2 of which require discarding

>hedron archive is the best draw you can get in red

My only question is why are you dumping your entire hand? Most of red's efficient draw comes from looting if you don't count artifacts.

This is also fantastic red draw along with reforge the soul and incendiary command

its also a fraction of the price user and here isa super secret tip! you can totally use both

>tfw poorfag and use Magus and wheel of fate instead

Still better than archive

>tfw use Magus of the Will in black because also poorfag

>tfw have a playset of Will that I never used

Oblivion Sower doesn't work because the card is face down.

Can you just fuck off? i'm really tired of autists in this general acting like they are the sole arbiter of what is playable and what is not. It's a mana rock that offers draw if you don't need it in a fee turns, it's a good card to run.

I never said it was bad faggot
I just said it's not a must run
Holy shit fucking read the posts

In which kind of decks would you run this card? Im not talking about obvious Paradox Engine-type decks.

any commander deck ever?

Monocolored decks

I did read the chain, all i see is another circle jerk starting, it's always the same thing
"WAAH, this card is the best"
"REEE, it's shit" we do this like every other thread, and it's pretty tiring.

Any deck with needed ramp or color fixing or you can just use Hedron Archive

>disagree with hedron archive being the best draw in mono red
>wheel of fate and magus of wheel are better than archive
>le ebin reeeee
maybe this isnt the place for you then, friend.
try reddit.

Have you guys ever made a deck using cards you already own? I was looking through some cards I own and saw that I had an incomplete Adriana deck and thought of finishing it up to play at my LGS

tend to see them in grixis and esper decks a lot

>Have you guys ever made a deck using cards you already own?
almost exclusively
i used to make 1-2 decks a week just switching around staples, using random trash rares and playable uncommons. its how I found the decks that suited my playstyle the best.

You're not gonna like it, but land destruction.

That's the thing. It's weird because one would tend to think that it's usefulness would decrease the more colors your deck has.

>red card draw
>lists a card that's card disadvantage on the first cast and card neutral on the flashback
>and another that's card neutral

You might have brain problems, because those don't do anything to help a red player's inevitability of running out of gas unless he's heavy on reanimation which only applies to Daretti, Feldon or Bosh.

What are some wincons for Naya that don't require a specific Commander? I was thinking of making a Samut deck that appeared to be Voltron on its surface (and could win that way if needed) but typically won through other means.

making colored mana in non-green decks becomes more important when you have a lot of colors to get
it doenst feel that good in 4c
3c feels like a sweet spot between color fixing and ramping

Bant beaters plus green

>Have you ever built a deck

To answer your question though I build alot of shitbrews that are casual but have game winning potential
>tfw I have more fun building decks than playing them

>those don't do anything to help a red player's inevitability of running out of gas unless he's heavy on reanimation

Which is why every red deck runs some sort of wheel effect right because they have all that recursion

I did.

I made an Oviya Pashiri out of green scrap I had.

It's pretty bad, but it can win if I'm lucky. like, Hasty Old Kozilek kind of luck.

craterhoof
suntitan + safi + balsting station combo
kiki shit
mirror entity shenanigans

Defense of the Heart and Tooth and Nail are extra broken in Samut

They run wheels because they're actual card draw you fucking nonce

And when is looting not card draw? Shut up faggot

C A R D A D V A N T A G E

I run it in Sydri. Goes infinite with Voltaic Construct.

You end up not having any more cards in your hand after the loot effect.

filtering is actually very good
scry and looter effects tend to be overlooked for raw card advantage but if you are ever looking for a specific answer you will always be better off paying less mana to see the same amount of cards
granted not even blue has 3 mana draw 7 without the downside of everyone also discard/drawing so thats sort of its own monster.

I don't know what i expected, shitty posts get shitty responses i guess

Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Not sure what to build next as I am uninspired by the new gods. Always wanted a graveyard commander but never got around to it.

Filtering is good indeed, but the discussion was about red running out of gas, where filtering is pointless if you don't have cards with actual card draw.

You still draw for turn, and have plenty of lands to discard

And I also always have mana for a counterspells, which I have always in hand.
>tfw flashing in Notion Thief in response to Cathartic Reunion and next turn casting Careful Consideration on him in combat step

I have a problem

and thats why Leovold is banned as a commander
fucking hell am I glad

>Ezuri, Claw of Progress
Typical cookie cutter but with some janky stuff others don't use
>Gitrog Monster
Graveyard and combo, the strongest of all my decks
>Mimeoplasm
Reanimator that would probably work the same if Mimeoplasm was in the 99 and Tasigur was the helm
>Breya
Artifacts.dec
>Kaervek
Freshly brewed taxes with a mix of RB goodstuff
>Depala
Vehicle tribal, janky as hell but can pull of some suprising moves
>Jarad
My first deck and casual green pubstomp with black for support

>Nekusar
Wheels.dec
>Yidris
"What the fuck am I cascading into?" ft. storm
>Noyan Dar
Budget land beatdown

I did in my Dralnu

I change my basics based on the set/plane my commander is from. Jin-Gitaxias has all New Phyrexia islands, Avacyn 3.0 has a mix of Innistrad and SoI basics, etc...

The exception to this rule is Lu Bu, because he has snow mountains for Extraplanar Lens, Skred, Scrying Sheets, and a few others.

at least notion thief cant be in the command zone anymore :P
that being said what do you guys think about brining back the banned as commander list?

>Lu Bu
list?

I'd like the idea, but probably it will never happen. Having a card in both lists would be silly though

well if its on the actual banned list it wouldnt need to be on the banned as a commander

But then it wouldn't be clear and people would think that it's okay as a commander if it didn't appear in the list

I haven't typed it up, but this one is really close. It's Voltron with red control elements. Dies to edict effects something fierce.

Oh come on I know the average magic player is pretty much potato^potato but give them SOME slack

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lu-bu-hobo-with-a-shotgun/

Might help if I pasted the dang link.

I used to think that land destruction had no place in casual EDH... But now I realize I had a warped view of casual EDH. I used to think that cards like Sheoldred, Jitte, Ulamog, a few God enchantment creatures, etc all had no place in casual EDH.
Nowadays I realize that these things are fine for casual EDH, but with that realization I've also realized that Land Destruction should be fine as well. The truth is that if someone is playing mono red they not only can't take care of powerful enchantments but they have very few ways to take out creatures with over 7 toughness or indestructible creatures. So are you going to tell me that they should either A) get very lucky or B) willingly lose the game because they have no options?
No, neither of those choices are acceptable. The truth is that land destruction is the most powerful tool in Red's arsenal, not using it puts mono red players at a supreme disadvantage. If you feel like you're allowed to use supremely strong creatures "because they can be removed" or supremely strong enchantments "because they can be removed" then I feel that I'm allowed to use supremely strong land destruction "because you can run mana rocks".
And just as you say "Well you should run more removal!" I say "Well you should run more mana rocks!" and then you can say "Well I do but they aren't in my hand right now!" and I reply WITH THE EXACT SAME SENTIMENT towards removal.
So at the end of the day I say this; If the point of casual edh is still to win, which it obviously is if you're running $20 powerful praetors, then I'm going to do what I can to win, which is to keep you from being able to play those praetors.

Can i see kaervek list please?

this is nice meme