youtu.be/ALBMdY9-SZs?t=8m9s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus#Cooling_planet_by_solar_shades
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49272152/
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/49590756/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_planet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_planet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You'd have to figure out how to thicken its crust, since it doesn't really have one.

And pull the acid / molten silicon rain out of it's atmosphere.

But honestly: it's your game, go nuts.

(I always liked the "Dragons of Venus" setting from HFY)

venus does have a crust. it's not a gaseous planet, it just has a very intense atmosphere which completely covers the planet. it's the same as global warming on earth but to the nth degree.

in order to terraform the planet the biggest challenge would be to reduce the atmosphere. the first thing that comes to my mind is introduction of c02 consuming bacteria. if we can introduce a quickly reproducing bacteria that would consume the planets c02 and turn it into oxygen or other less difficult gasses we could start to see the planet change. the planet is extremely hot though, so whatever we put there would have to survive 500c temperatures. as far as i know there are no creatures documented on earth that can survive above 100c.

because the temperature would kill off biological life the alternative would then be to engineer nano-machines which turn co2 into oxygen or another less dangerous gas. that would be the most plausible explanation for how it could be done.

once the atmosphere was tamed the temperature would drop which could allow us to introduce biological agents. even then the planet is very volcanically active which makes it somewhat scary.

>global warming
kek get the fuck out libshit

I mean you *could* terraform Venus, given enough time and resources, but I'd rather have Cloud City there.

>not just building a space habitat or giant city ship instead
enjoy your rkkv

Hm. Looked it up and you're right.

Weird. My astronomy class liked to harp on and on about Venus' crust basically being a murderfucked sheet of paper shot through with volcanoes.

It was only like two years ago, too.

Depends on how much you terraform.

The obvious first step would be to remove most of the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, reducing the pressure and greenhouse effect. (Probably ship the extra gases off to space or something, the geological carbon sinks don't work on Venus)

If you get an Earthlike atmosphere, you've still got a too long sidereal day; one side will be scorched in radiation, the other in freezing darkness for thousands of hours. The extreme poles could have some small, quite comfortable areas for habitation in this case.

If you fix both, the areas far from the poles will still be quite hot due to Venus' location in the inner habitable zone. Large oceans would reduce extreme differences in temperature, and if you could fix the atmosphere, I'm sure that amount of water won't be a problem. Sure, deserts and Mediterranean climate near the poles sounds cool.

There's also the problem of a lack of a notable magnetic field, which will result in light gases escaping into space faster than from a shielded planet like the Earth. This however won't be noticeable for millions and millions of years so can be safely ignored.

One only-slightly-more-realistic-than magic solution I would be to slam a minor planet to Venus, which with enough technobabble would result in most of its crust and atmosphere being rejected, rotation being transformed to something more reasonable, and the plate tectonics and core dynamo being reborn. Floating sky cities seem way more realistic to me.

Venus does have a crust. It's too thick and rigid for plate tectonics (the lack of an asthenosphere doesn't help). The entire surface overturns periodically after mantle dynamics causes the crust to reach a "breaking point", the last time this happened was 500 million years ago.

good joke friend

yeah. it's stuffed crust but it's still crust.

>he entire surface overturns periodically after mantle dynamics causes the crust to reach a "breaking point"

That must have been bitchin' to see.

>A bunch of angels show up to your setting, just floating in the sky watching the earth and waiting
>Someone mans up and asks them what's going on?
>Oh man, there's gonna be a really bitchin' fireworks show as your entire planet flips its shit. Happens like once every 500 million years so anyone who could get off work came to see.

How about an asteroid or comet striking the planet? Knocking enough of the atmosphere into space and fixing the rotational problems.

Why are Floating sky cities more realistic?

I think you'd need a really big asteroid to tweak the rotational problem.

More feasible than terraforming meme Mars. Mars would eventually become a barren world again. Venus, would stay terraformed.

Because so far terraforming is magic.
Floating cities could be built right now. Would be a bitch to get it there though.

Gotcha senpai.

And it didn't want to take the file for some reason.

Not impactful enough. My hunch is that if you want to do meaningful damage in the right way, even a huge asteroid would need to hit at a relativistic velocity, or a slower Theia-size impactor would do the work. Either way, a huge explosion and release of heat. At a good enough angle the rest of the planet might just start to rotate enough to have comfortable days. The Moon is hypothesized to have formed within a century of such an impact, but Venus' surface would probably turn into Mustafar for a longer time.

Regular asteroids just lack the oomph. The Chicxulub asteroid, for example, didn't do anything meaningful in the long run to either our atmosphere or lithosphere.

Why not just build a new "surface" at the comfortable cloudtop level rather than mess with the lower atmosphere at all? Also solves the spin issue, since you can give it its own rotation.

>Why use magic? Let's just use hypermagic.

youtu.be/ALBMdY9-SZs?t=8m9s

>One only-slightly-more-realistic-than magic solution I would be to slam a minor planet to Venus, which with enough technobabble would result in most of its crust and atmosphere being rejected, rotation being transformed to something more reasonable, and the plate tectonics and core dynamo being reborn
This is what I was thinking.

>even then the planet is very volcanically active which makes it somewhat scary
Wait, I thought that venus was tectonically and volcanically dead?

he look i found the stormweenie. This game is even easier than find the vegan

If you can terraform a planet, chances are you can do whatever you want with it. Either way, yeah, venus doesnt have much of its own water, for lack of hydrogen.

Hotspots (basically just extra hot plumes in the mantle) cause minor localized volcanism on Venus. Think Hawaii or Iceland. These surface flows on Venus are only a couple million years old.

Venus needs a huge moon to strip the atmosphere off. Ceres might be big enough. You could do Space 1999 and put Luna in orbit around it.
Humans could maybe live there for the kajillion years Venus would take to become habitable. Some people claim that the moon has seams and is secretly a giant space ship with the engines hidden inside. This might make the job easier.
The cheapest way is for a planetiod just the right size to cruise into the solar system and just happen to come close enough to Venus to fall into the perfect orbit. Then wait the Kajillion years for things to sort out.

It would take millions of years to even deal with the atmosphere, let alone reviving plate tectonics, a magnetosphere, and making the soil habitable for use by terrestrial life. Creating a giant floating city and placing it high enough in the atmosphere that the pressure doesn't kill everyone is the best way to live on Venus.

Kinda the same with Mars; you'd have to make a bubble city, because even if you terraformed it to have beatable air and a magnetosphere, its too far away from the Sun to be warm enough to keep terrestrial plants alive or even the water flowing naturally. You's had to greenhouse gas the planet to the point where there might not even be enough sunlight to nutritious the plant life.

Mutant Chronicles made it a jungle.

The solar output on Mars could be solved with giant mirrors in orbit. But then >giant mirrors in orbit.

I prefer cloud cities personally

Try reading Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312. If you can bear with his characters and his politics, you'll find that he's got some fun ideas about how to terraform Venus.

It would be much easier to just have floating cities a la Bioshock Infinite in the upper atmosphere. The surface itself is absolutely fucked beyond reasonable hope of repair.

Not to mention the fact that it managed to Greenhouse Effect itself into a 700+°C oven, causing shit like sulfuric cloud layers and acid rain that evaporates before it hits the surface.

It doesn't even have conventional plate tectonics; it essentially gets constipated and then blows all its pressure at once and flips most of its surface into molten garbage roughly every 500 million years.

Also half of it is basically on fire at any given time.

What if we just slammed a couple comets into Venus? It's not like that will make it any worse, and it could introduce much-needed water into the atmosphere.

Shut up Charlie, you want to toss comets at everything.

>And pull the acid / molten silicon rain out of it's atmosphere.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus
>According to Birch,[16] bombarding Venus with hydrogen and reacting it with carbon dioxide, could produce elemental carbon (graphite) and water by the Bosch reaction. It would take about 4×1019 kg of hydrogen to convert the whole Venerian atmosphere

It'd probably be easier to build the giant space umbrella to cool it and reduce the crazy greenhouse effect

>terraforming a planetary body only requires you to do one thing

You spacers and your crazy plans.

Who said that? We're talking about trying to work on the atmosphere, not seed life - yet. Cooling Venus would sure as hell help.

user is pointing out a part of that wiki entry posted en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus#Cooling_planet_by_solar_shades

Given the difficulties of constructing such a massive structure and the "probably be easier" part I suspect a bit of jovial rib poking was involved.

i really like how no one noticed that this isn't a worldbuilding thread, but rather a world fixing thread.

Here's some light reading for you, Veeky Forums. It's a topic that comes up more often than you might think and there is evidence of at least one really enthusiastic pro-Venus colony user who wants his cloud city, dammit. Might be cool but sounds like an engineering nightmare.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49272152/

desuarchive.org/tg/thread/49590756/

It's a little bit of both.

It would be easier and faster to just make it into a industrial solar planet. Why bother terminating something that close to the sun when it would be more beneficial to just turn it into a giant battery for the rest of the colonization agenda.

>terminating
*terraforming

Out.

>jovial
since when are we talking about jupiter?

To piss off those monolith building assholes who keep trying to tell us to stay away from Europa.

Nice trips
>Jovial
What's your stance on its core while on this topic, does Jupiter have an incredibly dense solid core, a suspended liquid metallic one, or nothing at all?

Hey! Those ovens are reserved for the Jews!

We DO have to go through 6 million after all.

>nothing at all
wut?

The radiation around jupiter would be a total bitch to deal with thanks to that super strong magnetic field.

>What's your stance on its core while on this topic, does Jupiter have an incredibly dense solid core, a suspended liquid metallic one, or nothing at all?
The models I've read about say that Jupiter doesn't have a distinct "core". There aren't any transitional boundaries as you go deeper, just a smooth density gradient from gas to liquid to solid.

As far as things stand at the moment, there's an ocean of liquid metallic hydrogen once you reach a certain point and if so, that would be the largest ocean in our solar system.

How would ammonia based life fucntion?

There's been some amusement over silicon-based life in fiction but I'd never read anything that pokes at ammonia.

Giant space magnets will defend our precious atmosphere from solar aggression.

Can it truly be considered an ocean if there are no islands, no ocean floor?

Is this a linguistics question, or a philosophical one?

>There's also the problem of a lack of a notable magnetic field, which will result in light gases escaping into space

What about the horrifying, horrifying radiation that sterilises everything not a meter underground?

with a lot of nukes and a lot of math you could redirect commits and astroids into it to make it a more manageable cluster fuck

That's the real problem, desu. Though an atmosphere would lessen it.
Light gases escaping is dumb. If you're capable of plopping down a 1:1 copy of the Earth's atmosphere on Mars, you're capable of maintaining it. The atmosphere on Mars wouldn't disappear in days or months, it'd take hundreds thousands years. There's way long enough for people to settle and civilizations to rise and fall before it becomes a real problem.

Earth's atmosphere stops almost 80% of the Sun's harmful UV radiation and a large amount of cosmic rays, too. Mars has a way thinner atmosphere that lets in a lot more harmful shit and even there the radiation isn't dangerously high, especially if the colonists protect themselves after large solar flares by staying underground for a day or two. Solar irradiance at Venus' distance from the Sun is only double that of the Earth.

I wanna say the GURPS: Space book deals with the question lightly.

Basically, though, it'd be organic chemistry that uses ammonia as a solvent rather than water, and operates at much lower temperatures and slower speeds than Earth life.

Find a way to protect it from the sun ( a Dyson sphere or some upper atmosphere gas that blocks sunlight like Matrix, would work, probably ) and reduce surface temperatures and make it possible to have an echo system.
Find a way to get rid of the extreme atmosphere and transform that into breathable air.
Then make the human population live in small houses where it's cheaper to control the temperature to something liveable or underground.

You really can't see how building a space station would be cheaper and easier than terraforming an entire fucking planet that looks worse than hell?

It's a lot less cool, you have to admit.

But yeah, I don't see modern humans making million-year plans. And I don't see post-humans NEEDING to, assuming we ever get to that stage.

>Habitable planet
>single biome
Trash tier.

Plenty depends on the conditions under which it's terraformed. It could end up hot, cool, wet, dry, whatever.

But whatever happens, recall that we're talking about a WHOLE PLANET. Sorry. Planets are huge and one-biome worlds aren't viable.

So a planet should have oceans, plains, deserts, mountains, swamps, lakes, islands, rain forests, tundra, etc. You can tweak that by making the world noticeably hotter or colder, but a variety of climates doesn't just make a good story, but it's also good planetary dynamics.

okay OP.. what you do is that you first send a rocket filled with moss up there. The moss will land.. albeit a somewhat rough landing.. and then you send a rocket with cockroaches.
Let them mix for 500ish years and then send a crew up there and see what has ahppened

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_planet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_planet