Which rpg haves fast combat and lot of character options?

Which rpg haves fast combat and lot of character options?

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/tg/thread/48036291
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Fast combat
>Lots of character options

Pick one, user.

Pathfinder

Dungeon World

Quite hard to do
Last time i played PF one fight against a big silver wolf lasted about 1-2 hours, we had a party of 4 lvl 1

I like dungeon world but it is not for my group

Radiance
Warhammer Fantasy
Savage World

>I'm either a retard or a retard who thinks he's funny

How fast, and what do you feel a character option is?

Tokyo Nova.

>lvl 1
There's your problem. At higher levels players have the resources to be reliably useful, and combat rarely goes on longer than 3 or 4 rounds.
That being said, combat in Pathfinder is only as fast as your GM is good. It can get bogged down easily. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for speed.
But boy does it have options.

RISUS

>and combat rarely goes on longer than 3 or 4 rounds
Not in my experience, and the rounds tend to grow much longer on top.

FFG Star Wars

GURPS.

Of course this assumes you're not retarded, because you're not a brainlet right user?

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Warhammer Fantasy

Care to share the pdf?
I really like warhammer
I am not but i dont have a lot of time really
You know if a player wants to have a ninja that can do clones and ninja stuff he can

Cloning, what like a geneticist Ninja? How about a ninja that's a stealth assassin, spy, and master of disguise, and not some screaming wizard who casts spells through interpretive dance.

I love Risus so much that I replace the skill rules in most everything else with it.

But I don't really care for Risus's combat rules.

Ya, sometimes players want other things like ninja wizards and i am okay with that

4archive.org/board/tg/thread/48036291

..? Pathfinder does the same thing 3.5 does at later levels: Rocket Tag. Most everyone ends up being able to one or two shot everything, leading to extremely short and brutal encounters. Note that this is often a criticism, as it means combat is too abrupt to actually be tactical, but OP did ask about fast.

An important factor to keep in mind for how fast combat goes is the people at the table. Every one being familiar with the system and paying attention to whats going on when it isn't their turn greatly speeds up combat since they won't have to spend 5-10 minutes figuring out what they want to do.

Rocket tag is when players deliberately design their characters to be awesome.
What generally happens with a regular group is people take trap or "RP" options that flat out suck compared to better options.

Rocket tag is generally considered a byproduct of how progression in 3.PF works- you don't need special building to achieve it, though optimization can let you hit it earlier. A simple example is the existence of save-or-die spells, or a rogue unloading a full attack + TWF + haste worth of sneak attack into one target. These are trivially easy to achieve and can easily down even moderately tough opponents in a single round. Low op groups can avoid these through sheer ignorance, I suppose, but I've yet to encounter such. This is part of why E6 is a thing, because mid to upper levels get stupidly fast and lethal, along with spellcasting getting godly.

Hehe for our mythic campaign the DM had to boost monster HP by up to double to try and keep them from getting one shot. It sometimes worked. Unless there were crits. Then even bosses folded in one round.

4e
If you want to be a martial, 4e is probably the most non obscure option and the only DnD option.

4e or Strike!

Strike! combat is significantly faster, since a lot of the fiddly math is removed.

Personally I don't understand why people wouldn't want their character to be awesome.

Being awesome is awesome, after all. Think of your favorite character in a book or movie, are they awesome? Chances are the answer is yes.

>fast combat
That depends on how fast the players decide what to do

Not necessarily. Systems that feature active defenses (i.e. you roll to dodge/parry/block), tables for wound location/severity, lots of situational modifiers or a lot of specific attacks will take longer to resolve simply because there are more steps to take.
Yes, player aptitude and attention play a big role, but the system also plays an important part, especially in conjunction with the player factor.

What's that one game with the fox mascot where combat happens in like one dice roll?

Sounds like Pathfinder, assuming you are playing casters.

But user.... he said fast combat.

I enjoy 4e, but combat can take hours once you start getting into Paragon and Epic tier.

I love GURPS but it ain't that fast, not if you want to include any of the rules that make combat fun.

As a caveat; any game can be fast if the whole group:

A) know the rules well
B) aren't obsessive tactics optimists

I have never played in a group that combines both traits...

>Warhammer Fantasy
>Nerf bat fighting: the game

Warhammer Fantasy combat isn't quick at all, and it only gets slower as you get more powerful, add more armour and get better at dodging and parrying. Any system where your first line of defence is completely invalidating attacks is going to take forever.

>Warhammer Fantasy
It is neither actually.
It mechanics are bare bones, and offer almost NO options - your character path defines everything, while combat is sloggish, despite it's simplicity - at least at lower lvls chances to hit are so low that even if unarmored characters die/get incapacitated of three hits you still have to attack 12 or more times to get those 3 hits.

Song of Swords

shadowrun 4E

The fuck are you talking about? 4e's main problem is that combat TAKES FUCKING FOREVER.

A combat is supposed to take like 4-5 urns at most. You should be done in half an hour, 45 minutes maybe for big combats, unless you suck.

The more options exist in a system, the longer combat will take.

Options mean meaningful choices. Presenting players meaningful choices is what makes combat fun, but decisionmaking takes time which slows combat down, and is often supported by rigorous mechanics which might take longer to resolve.

Although it might help to define what you mean by 'fast combat'. How long would you consider combat to be in a slow/medium/fast game?

Use the MM3/MV math. I've been running 4e recently using it and no combat has taken more than an hour, most resolving in even less.

Yeah, our GM has just started running with all players and important enemies having maximized HP per HD, which has helped. Also, players have learned the importance of miss-chance and stacking rerolls.

none, combat is as fast as you make it

Not entirely true. While a group who know the system can certainly make combat faster, while a group who don't can make it slower, how mechanically heavy and how much pure dicerolling and decision making is involved in the combat will directly effect how much time it takes to resolve.

Assuming all other factors are equal, you can still describe some systems combat as faster or slower than others based on the mechanics themselves.

While you are correct I can bet(especially based on OPs later post about him playing pathfinder) OP's combats are taking forever because his players are slow

I think that some systems are fasters than others, my players are not slow

Blaming the players is a favorite defense of folks who play games with slow combat. When Shadowrun can take five different rolls, per player/enemy, on every turn, it ain't the players' fault that that big combat took like four hours.

Battle Century G (character builds and quick play were pretty much the design goals, though you sacrifice some of the former for the latter)

Shinobigami (as long as you playgroup isn't a bunch of tools who all take Immortality...then the Climax Phase will drag on forever).

That's the stuff that comes immediately to mind.

>Mecha and ninjas
is shinobigami translated yet?

>I came here to roll dice at you.

Last I checked it wasn't released, but the beta document is the text going to layout and then the printer.

What?
You can say what you will about the system (quite frankly I feel it's too crunchy for its own good), but Pathfinder has a shitload of character options, and the system is known for rocket tag combat.

I wouldn't say 4e. As much as I love it, combat lasts quite a while. It has a ton of character options though, I'll give you that.
On a sidenote, relating to OP's image, my group's been doing a FF-style 4e campaign. Made one of my characters a Viera even.

Strike is fast as fuck but the character options are kinda limited. Check it out anyway tho.

Savage Worlds,
Fate Core and Accellerared.

MAID.

If you are okay with an anime system, kamigakari is a new one thats got pretty fast combat and a lot of leeway in what options you pick.

Actually that's kinda true, but these options are not related to combat.

It tends to narrow down your options a bit. Also, a lot of people arent into optimalizing.

is kamigakari the one about fusing your soul or something?

You pretty much can only hit rocket tag with optimization. If you think otherwise, you have played so much 3.5 you don't realize how unconsciously you make those decisions in game and when making a character. AC and HP outpace damage in the base game just assuming you have magic weapons alone, which is why saves are considered the weak point of everything - but what I said right there takes a lot of knowledge of the system to learn.

Goes homes, Skwisgaar. Yous ams drunk.

Uh. No. Not that i'm aware of.

Like i said, its pretty new. Think of it like an episodic monster of the week sort of thing, most of the time. With the expansions there are some variation to that formula now, but the base game is like that the majority of the time.

Wait - rogues doing TWF with haste is "easy" to acheive? A stiff wind disrupts the multitudes of events that it takes to do that.

Well if you have players that want to do anything and have fast combat you should aim for a lightweight game, but wanting anime ninjas and wizards is not my area of game knowledge.

Savage Worlds

It was just an example

>none, combat is as fast as you make it
Sword path glory and phoenix command (using all rules from all books) want to have a word with you

GURPS with minimal combat rules.

Done.

I'd argue for any Fate-powered X here for a second, because while everyone is mechanically extremely similar save for a few Stunts. However, the character options are infinite or close to it, thanks to descriptor-based traits.

You did not, OP, ask for "deep" combat, so I think this applies.

Reign

is it fast?

Mutants and Masterminds and True20 have crunchy character creation and very diverse options. True20 is more straightforward, but less freeform than MnM. But, a bit more palatable if nobody in the group would have experience with either.
You'll have to acclimate to the damage system and before you've got it down it WILL be slow.

If you've got a taste for more narrative-first style gameplay the FFG Star Wars system is a solid option.
Straightforward rules & options, plus windows for improvising that are easy to handle and fun for the players and GM both. Generally an agreeable system but the proprietary dice can put people off.
In the end, because of how the symbols are portioned on the dice and how they interact, I would say their existence is actually justified despite dice sets being overpriced.
You can use normal dice and reference a table to get those symbols, but that's slow.

If you're okay with a 'build-your-own game' toolkit of a system, or if any of its prebaked flavors appeals to you, you might like Fate Core or the simpler Fate Accelerated. Very sandboxy--but if you don't make sure it's customized for your campaign or get everyone on the same page with how its supposed to be executed it'll be almost guaranteed to play out as limp and boring. Still, it can be a lot of high-flying fun if it meshes with a group.

Warhammer 40k RPGs can run quite fast, in my experience. Might be because my usual group runs it theater-of-the-mind, and I know that a lot of Veeky Forums uses minis with it. Not sure what it'd come out to in that case.

OVA has some very flexible character and special attack creation rules, and it certainly looks like it would run quickly, but I haven't ever played it myself. Like the name implies it's designed to cater to anime-inspired games, but there's not really any reason you have to limit yourself to that genre or those sorts of settings.

Admittedly MM3 may have improved things, been awhile since I played 4e. But awful long combat slog was a widespread problem with 4e when it came out.

I was in a few campaigns when it was new and it was a commonly discussed problem everywhere. The popular solution at the time was to follow the guidelines for building an appropriate level encounter then cut the HP of everything in half.

Started playing the Modiphius 2d20 Cona RPG a few weeks ago. I'm astonished by the number of options available to characters AND how fast it runs. Either one on their own is really satisfying but they managed to combine them.